CSNbbs
WKU: 3 of last 4 sellouts - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: WKU: 3 of last 4 sellouts (/thread-841222.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

WKU: 3 of last 4 sellouts - CrushMI - 01-26-2018 11:25 PM

The buzz is back among WKU fans. Stansbury building something special.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - LouisvilleHilltopper - 01-26-2018 11:34 PM

What’s crazy to me is that both games did/will have bigger crowds than when 4th ranked Louisville was here a few years ago. The fact that they’re now selling standing-room-only tickets is just insane. As Chad Bishop and Dominique Yates said on their podcast this week, fans are coming to watch this team, not to see a “big name” opponent like Louisville or Ole Miss.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - Niner National - 01-26-2018 11:52 PM

Good for wku and the league.

It's a shame that our basketball tournament will probably have 200 people there instead of somewhere sensible in the east where the highest concentration of support exists with odu, Marshall, mt, and wku.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - Jack Bauer - 01-27-2018 12:30 AM

(01-26-2018 11:52 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Good for wku and the league.

It's a shame that our basketball tournament will probably have 200 people there instead of somewhere sensible in the east where the highest concentration of support exists with odu, Marshall, mt, and wku.

Nashville would be great. I think southwest flies to almost every place we have a member. Four of the bigger fan bases within a 4 hour drive. If we aren't going to do it at the number one teams place I'd rather have it close to the top teams.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - CyrusJS - 01-27-2018 01:33 AM

(01-27-2018 12:30 AM)Jack Bauer Wrote:  

Nashville would be great. I think southwest flies to almost every place we have a member. Four of the bigger fan bases within a 4 hour drive. If we aren't going to do it at the number one teams place I'd rather have it close to the top teams.

Exactly this. Nashville would be great. Yes I know OVC and SEC are there, but there are plenty of places in Nashville that would work for what we need. I think if we are playing in a football practice facility in Frisco, TX, we will be just fine finding somewhere in Nashville to play our games. East coast schools have done so much to keep this conference afloat the last few years, but we can't even get a tournament near us or any decent bowl games close by. Sad.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - ExcitedOwl18 - 01-27-2018 04:41 AM

(01-27-2018 01:33 AM)CyrusJS Wrote:  

Exactly this. Nashville would be great. Yes I know OVC and SEC are there, but there are plenty of places in Nashville that would work for what we need. I think if we are playing in a football practice facility in Frisco, TX, we will be just fine finding somewhere in Nashville to play our games. East coast schools have done so much to keep this conference afloat the last few years, but we can't even get a tournament near us or any decent bowl games close by. Sad.

Uh, the conference tournament has been in Birmingham the last couple years which is a relatively painless drive from both WKU and MT.

ODU and Marshall night have something to complain about.

What about Louisville as a conference tourney location? Fairly easy drive from a bunch of members. (WKU, MT, Marshall) and some decent off the court activities.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - AdoptedMonarch - 01-27-2018 07:44 AM

(01-27-2018 04:41 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Uh, the conference tournament has been in Birmingham the last couple years which is a relatively painless drive from both WKU and MT.

What about Louisville as a conference tourney location? Fairly easy drive from a bunch of members. (WKU, MT, Marshall) and some decent off the court activities.

I'd almost definitely travel to Nashville. I'd think about Loiusville. But for me (and probably at least two or three hundred other ODU fans), Charlotte is where the tournament needs to be.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - AdoptedMonarch - 01-27-2018 07:46 AM

B.t.w., back on topic: great job Toppers, both in quality of play and in fan support.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - wkuhilltopperfan - 01-27-2018 09:29 AM

Louisville has nothing for the fans compared to Nashville..... not even close

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - ExcitedOwl18 - 01-27-2018 10:09 AM

(01-27-2018 09:29 AM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

I agree it’s not quite as good but you can see Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger, do the Bourbon Trail if your team gets knocked out early, etc.

IMO (and I’ve said this in past threads), the tourney should be in ATL at McCamish. Even Rice, the smallest school in the conference by a wide margin, has a significant alumni presence there.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - Franko - 01-27-2018 10:17 AM

(01-27-2018 10:09 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(01-27-2018 12:30 AM)Jack Bauer Wrote:  Nashville would be great. I think southwest flies to almost every place we have a member. Four of the bigger fan bases within a 4 hour drive. If we aren't going to do it at the number one teams place I'd rather have it close to the top teams.

I agree it’s not quite as good but you can see Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger, do the Bourbon Trail if your team gets knocked out early, etc.

IMO (and I’ve said this in past threads), the tourney should be in ATL at McCamish. Even Rice, the smallest school in the conference by a wide margin, has a significant alumni presence there.
Thanks Excited Owl, I have lived in the Louisville metro area for nearly 30 years now and there is quite a bit to do up here. Not as cosmopolitan as Nashville but the downtown area has evolved into a very nice setting with tons of nice restaurants and plenty of hotels. It has the charm of a southern city to some degree. The Yum center is a very nice facility, it does not belong to UofL so I'm sure it can be used.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - Hilltopper2K - 01-27-2018 10:31 AM

I think that there is a year or two coming up where the SEC takes a break from Nashville (2022 maybe?) I'm really hoping that CUSA fills that hole in Bridgestone. Fantastic city, fantastic facility.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - LouisvilleHilltopper - 01-27-2018 10:47 AM

My username shows my bias, but Louisville would be a pretty decent option. The Exposution center has the two arena setup (Freedom Hall and Broadbent) that the conference prefers, its drivable for at least 4 members (WKU, MTSU, UAB, Marshall), there’s direct flights for just about every other school except for maybe UTEP, and the tourist options have greatly increased lately with almost all of downtown becoming a bourbon Mecca.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - MT FAN - 01-27-2018 10:57 AM

In Nashville I think the OVC plays their tournament the week before ours. Why couldn't we hold it at the Municipal Auditorium instead of bridgestone arena. We would play second fiddle to the SEC but it would be kind of cool having two conference tournaments going on at the same time downtown.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - WKUYG - 01-27-2018 11:05 AM

(01-27-2018 10:17 AM)Franko Wrote:  
(01-27-2018 10:09 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(01-27-2018 01:33 AM)CyrusJS Wrote:  Exactly this. Nashville would be great. Yes I know OVC and SEC are there, but there are plenty of places in Nashville that would work for what we need. I think if we are playing in a football practice facility in Frisco, TX, we will be just fine finding somewhere in Nashville to play our games. East coast schools have done so much to keep this conference afloat the last few years, but we can't even get a tournament near us or any decent bowl games close by. Sad.

Thanks Excited Owl, I have lived in the Louisville metro area for nearly 30 years now and there is quite a bit to do up here. Not as cosmopolitan as Nashville but the downtown area has evolved into a very nice setting with tons of nice restaurants and plenty of hotels. It has the charm of a southern city to some degree. The Yum center is a very nice facility, it does not belong to UofL so I'm sure it can be used.

The last thing this conference needs to do is play the tourney in a 22,090 arena. This conference needs to look at mid size arenas to play in.

But what most fans are not looking at.....

those cities mention, don't see the value in hosting the CUSA tourney. If they did they would bid on it.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - CoachMaclid - 01-27-2018 11:07 AM

Use http://www.geomidpoint.com/ to find the geographical center between any number of points.

Enter in Huntington, Bowling Green, Murfreesboro, Norfolk, and Charlotte.

The geographic center is right near to Bristol. I'd bet those five school could co-own Bristol for a weekend...

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - 12thmonarch - 01-27-2018 11:11 AM

(01-27-2018 07:44 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

I'd almost definitely travel to Nashville. I'd think about Loiusville. But for me (and probably at least two or three hundred other ODU fans), Charlotte is where the tournament needs to be.

+1 I would like Norfolk but we all know it ain’t happening with the two Arena requirement but Charlotte is where this should be for a good traveling balance for the conference.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - Ole Blue - 01-27-2018 11:28 AM

Centrally located... tourist destination... large arenas... the conference's biggest fanbases... Nashville.

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - KAjunRaider - 01-27-2018 12:21 PM

And $EC (St. Louey) and OVC (Evansville) both NOT having their tourneys in Nashville this year. What gives, Judy ?

RE: WKU: 2 consecutive sellouts - TOPSTRAIGHT - 01-27-2018 01:35 PM

KAjunRaider wrote "...What gives,Judy?" answer--Ignorance,passiveness,lack of planning,etc..