CSNbbs
UConn men's basketball under investigation - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UConn men's basketball under investigation (/thread-841164.html)

Pages: 1 2

UConn men's basketball under investigation - RandomFan - 01-26-2018 12:20 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/aac/2018/01/26/uconn-says-ncaa-investigating-mens-basketball-kevin-ollie-recruiting/1068515001/

Quote:The NCAA is investigating the UConn men's basketball program, the school said in a statement on Friday.

The university has been in the process of an NCAA-mandated internal investigation with an athletics compliance law firm, Lightfoot, Franklin and White, and noted that it has been "working closely with the NCAA's enforcement division."

Hearst Connecticut Media reported late Thursday that the NCAA investigation centers on recruiting and Huskies coach Kevin Ollie. Ollie is in the second year of a five-year, $17.9 million contract that can be voided for just cause.

According to Hearst, the investigation is separate from an ongoing FBI probe into men's college basketball over widespread illegal recruiting.

"UConn is absolutely committed to a culture of compliance and intends to fully cooperate, as always, with the NCAA," UConn president Susan Herbst said in a statement.

UConn is 11-9 this season after going 16-17 a year ago, the team's first losing season in 30 years.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - The Cutter of Bish - 01-26-2018 12:36 PM

So, who snitched?

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - GoldenWarrior11 - 01-26-2018 12:50 PM

I don't think it was St. John's. The turnaround is too quick.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Pensionplug - 01-26-2018 01:12 PM

To be clear: NCAA mandated schools to conduct an internal review last fall after FBI BB bribery scandal. I have no evidence and have been told UConn did not self-report to NCAA. Been a told this NCAA inquiry into UConn BB, however it was initiated, is separate. That's what I know

From same reporter who broke story

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Bogg - 01-26-2018 01:35 PM

Not sure what to make of this. There's currently, like, ZERO detail available as to what this is about.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - GoldenWarrior11 - 01-26-2018 01:44 PM

Any recent former UConn men's players that have transferred out or decommitted that would have gone to NCAA?

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - billyjack - 01-26-2018 02:26 PM

If the NCAA pushes this investigation, UConn should use the UNC Tarheel defense. Stall, lie, mislead, don't cooperate, and don't get penalized.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - RandomFan - 01-26-2018 03:57 PM

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-men-ncaa-investigation-20180126-story.html

Quote:UConn said it conducted its own “NCAA-mandated internal review” after the revealing of the FBI’s investigation and indictments involving a bribery scandal. However, this inquiry is unrelated and was not self-reported by UConn as a result of that scandal or the internal review, but rather reported to the NCAA from an external source.

Sources told The Courant the NCAA has already conducted roughly 100 hours of interviews with coaches, players and staffers, past and present, and other outside individuals. Those interviews have picked up in pace over the last week or so, and the inquiry includes the recruitment of at least three players, though not necessarily players who eventually came to UConn. The NCAA, which has not responded to a request for comment, compels interviewees not to comment.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Renandpat - 01-26-2018 05:41 PM

(01-26-2018 12:36 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  So, who snitched?

Someone who wants to get rid of Kevin Ollie with cause, not pay the contract and start over.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - quo vadis - 01-26-2018 07:27 PM

If the coach in question is a winner, then almost surely someone from another school.

If the coach is a loser, then better than even chance the source is from his university, wanting to get rid of him and avoid paying the contract.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - msm96wolf - 01-26-2018 08:04 PM

(01-26-2018 02:26 PM)billyjack Wrote:  If the NCAA pushes this investigation, UConn should use the UNC Tarheel defense. Stall, lie, mislead, don't cooperate, and don't get penalized.

Sadly, I agree UNC showed how to handle the NCAA. I assume UCONN has the money to pay what UNC did in legal fees. The question, does this work for G5 programs?

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - DawgNBama - 01-27-2018 01:39 AM

My thoughts precisely. Though not officially “self-reported,” someone @ UConn snitched.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - quo vadis - 01-27-2018 02:01 AM

(01-27-2018 01:39 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  My thoughts precisely. Though not officially “self-reported,” someone @ UConn snitched.

When they won the 2014 national title, I told UConn fans that it wasn't much of Ollie's doing, that IMO he was largely riding Calhoun's wave and that they would find out he really isn't cut out for the job.

I was greeted with a hail of brick-bats from UConn fans for that, but seems like since then the wheel has turned far closer to my position, so this wouldn't surprise me.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - BearcatJerry - 01-27-2018 08:31 AM

(01-27-2018 02:01 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-27-2018 01:39 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  My thoughts precisely. Though not officially “self-reported,” someone @ UConn snitched.

When they won the 2014 national title, I told UConn fans that it wasn't much of Ollie's doing, that IMO he was largely riding Calhoun's wave and that they would find out he really isn't cut out for the job.

I was greeted with a hail of brick-bats from UConn fans for that, but seems like since then the wheel has turned far closer to my position, so this wouldn't surprise me.

Wow.
An "I Told You So"?

You really are an amazing piece of...work.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - quo vadis - 01-27-2018 08:57 AM

(01-27-2018 08:31 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Wow.
An "I Told You So"?

Sure, why not? 07-coffee3

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Carolina_Low_Country - 01-27-2018 10:56 AM

(01-26-2018 07:27 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

If the coach in question is a winner, then almost surely someone from another school.

If the coach is a loser, then better than even chance the source is from his university, wanting to get rid of him and avoid paying the contract.

That’s what I was thinking. They need to get rid of him.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - UConnHusky - 01-29-2018 03:44 PM

It isn't that we UConn fans vehemently disagreed with you back in 2014. It is that we didn't want that statement delivered to us by someone who was viewed as a Big East homer and the statement itself was a little bit premature (as there was no need to doubt Ollie back then right after he won a natty). Now that we have seen a longer period of Ollie's work, it is glaringly clear that the emperor has no clothes. While you nailed Ollie correctly for what he is back then, you had a 50-50 chance of guessing it correctly, so your odds weren't too bad.

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Rabbit_in_Red - 01-30-2018 09:13 PM

As arrogant as UConn fans are, this tickles me to no end!

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Eldonabe - 01-31-2018 10:10 AM

The coaching situation reminds me of Umass - Alum takes over - expectations are high considering they played and learned from the best coach that ever ran each schools program. Then they fail.

Kellogg had a brief cup of coffee in the success department and Ollie won an NC. I am not sure who the bigger failure is under the circumstances. DK had a much shorter distance to fall then Ollie did, but at least Ollie got you an NC - VERDICT - DK SUCKED MUCH MORE!

RE: UConn men's basketball under investigation - Wedge - 01-31-2018 11:40 AM

Kevin Ollie is the Larry Coker of college basketball. Inherited an absolutely loaded team that dozens of coaches could have won with, won a title his first year as head coach, couldn't keep it going after that.