CSNbbs
The Golden Globes. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: The Golden Globes. (/thread-839515.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Golden Globes. - GullLake - 01-08-2018 10:00 AM

Hollywood has become irrelevant and it does not even realize it.

RE: The Golden Globes. - ChipfanII - 01-08-2018 10:41 AM

(01-08-2018 10:00 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Hollywood has become irrelevant and it does not even realize it.

I didn't watch it, but for comparison, NFL's best TV rating of all the Wild Card games (Atlanta - LA Rams) got 19.5 Million viewers, and the Globes had 20 Million. Maybe both are becoming irrelevant? Or the amount of people live streaming has increased.

RE: The Golden Globes. - Motown Bronco - 01-08-2018 01:08 PM

I agree with the sentiment in that women shouldn't be subjugated to to men's harassment, grabbing them, whipping their junk out, etc.

But I can't watch 3 hours of Hollywood celebrities lecturing from their pedestals. And this is from an industry that enabled this for decades.

RE: The Golden Globes. - BuickBronco - 01-08-2018 02:39 PM

Their bubble popped and they are trying to patch it up. They don't call it La La land for nothing

RE: The Golden Globes. - wojo-kowski - 01-08-2018 03:56 PM

(01-08-2018 02:39 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  Their bubble popped and they are trying to patch it up. They don't call it La La land for nothing

Correct, they have these "award shows" a couple of times a year, and present silly little trophies that they have bought for them selves.

They all think they are important, or that we care.

Not a good movie out right now, so that show last night was just a go to the "movie promotion".

RE: The Golden Globes. - BroncoPhilly - 01-08-2018 11:54 PM

(01-08-2018 10:00 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Hollywood has become irrelevant and it does not even realize it.

Exactly so. They have no right to even pretend to be interested in ethics and morality, everyone knows what Hollywood is all about.

As for siding with the Political Left, they've managed to piss-off half their potential audience. I haven't been to a theater to see a Hollywood movie in well over a decade. I don't purchase them online. When I do watch newer movies these days it's entirely from the Independent producers, who still have ideas that are compelling.

The last 'Star Wars' movie I saw was 'Return of the Jedi' in 1983, the last one in the original trilogy. I don't need to see the 15th remake of the original recipe. I'll give George Lucas and Stephen Spielburg kudos for taking special effects to a new level, but at the end of the day the story commands the audience. And their films are THIN on story line.

Another Awards banquet? Hollywood annointing Hollywood, I could care less. 03-puke

RE: The Golden Globes. - BroncoPhilly - 01-08-2018 11:59 PM

(01-08-2018 11:54 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  

Exactly so. They have no right to even pretend to be interested in ethics and morality, everyone knows what Hollywood is all about.

Meryl Streep wearing a black gown so she can convince everyone she's really perturbed by sexual harassment. They had to rip her lips off Harvey Weinstein's ass so she could put her lipstick on. How stupid do they thank Americans are?

As for siding with the Political Left, they've managed to piss-off half their potential audience. I haven't been to a theater to see a Hollywood movie in well over a decade. I don't purchase them online. When I do watch newer movies these days it's entirely from the Independent producers, who still have ideas that are compelling. Hollywood's continual Leftist posturing had a good deal to do with my turning my back on them.

The last 'Star Wars' movie I saw was 'Return of the Jedi' in 1983, the last one in the original trilogy. I don't need to see the 15th remake of the original recipe. I'll give George Lucas and Stephen Spielburg kudos for taking special effects to a new level, but at the end of the day the story commands the audience. And their films are THIN on story line.

Another Awards banquet? Hollywood annointing Hollywood, I could care less. 03-puke

RE: The Golden Globes. - BroncoPhilly - 01-09-2018 12:05 AM

I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience. Haven't attended a game, watched a game on TV or bought any of their logo crap in years. I could care less.

I enjoy college sports, but if the big schools start doing the same sort of nonsense I can turn them off as well. It's amazing how much more time I have on Sundays now to spend with the Family, attend Church Services and basically enjoy life. The NFL screwed up badly, very badly. I think they're heading for real financial trouble, especially when the brain injury class action law suits from players start pouring in.

Hey, like I care. 03-lmfao

RE: The Golden Globes. - Hoekjeness - 01-09-2018 07:54 AM

(01-09-2018 12:05 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience.

It's called freedom of speech/expression snowflake.

Are you this obtuse with everything?

RE: The Golden Globes. - GullLake - 01-09-2018 09:18 AM

(01-09-2018 07:54 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 12:05 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience.

There is no "freedom of speech/expression" when you are in a private workplace.

Should a waiter at a steak house be allowed to express his views against the meat industry to customers? How about a pro-life advocate showing graphic pics of aborted fetus' before serving dinner?

Of course not! They would and should be fired. Nobody is in a steak house to hear political views, particularly if they are counter-productive to that business.

Likewise, nobody attends a football game to hear political views.

If the players want to express their opinions/views off the field on their own time & dime, more power to them regardless of the issue. However, the owners, and NFL, have every right to limit or prohibit that expression during working hours, just like our businesses/employers do.

Do you want your bank teller passing you Rand Paul or Bernie Sanders literature unsolicited? How 'bout your insurance agent providing an unsolicited lecture about the virtues of "Open Carry" when you are there for car insurance.

You'd probably find a different bank and insurance agent, regardless of whether or not you agree with them.

The NFL is no different.

The players have freedom of speech/expression, just like all of us do. However, we don't have it in our workplaces without consequences (including being fired and/or blackballed) and neither should they.

RE: The Golden Globes. - GullLake - 01-09-2018 09:22 AM

(01-09-2018 12:05 AM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I turned off the NFL 2 years ago when they started disrespecting the anthem, flag and their audience. Haven't attended a game, watched a game on TV or bought any of their logo crap in years. I could care less.

I enjoy college sports, but if the big schools start doing the same sort of nonsense I can turn them off as well. It's amazing how much more time I have on Sundays now to spend with the Family, attend Church Services and basically enjoy life. The NFL screwed up badly, very badly. I think they're heading for real financial trouble, especially when the brain injury class action law suits from players start pouring in.

Hey, like I care. 03-lmfao

Agreed!

I have not missed the NFL at all. Last game I watched was last year's Super Bowl which was obviously fixed. There is no way the Falcons would have made such bonehead stupid decisions, when in position to put the game away late, unless $ was involved.

RE: The Golden Globes. - Hoekjeness - 01-09-2018 09:33 AM

(01-09-2018 09:18 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

Should a waiter at a steak house be allowed to express his views against the meat industry to customers? How about a pro-life advocate showing graphic pics of aborted fetus' before serving dinner?

Of course not! They would and should be fired. Nobody is in a steak house to hear political views, particularly if they are counter-productive to that business.

If the players want to express their opinions/views off the field on their own time & dime, more power to them regardless of the issue. However, the owners, and NFL, have every right to limit or prohibit that expression during working hours, just like our businesses/employers do.

Do you want your bank teller passing you Rand Paul or Bernie Sanders literature unsolicited? How 'bout your insurance agent providing an unsolicited lecture about the virtues of "Open Carry" when you are there for car insurance.

You'd probably find a different bank and insurance agent, regardless of whether or not you agree with them.

The NFL is no different.

The players have freedom of speech/expression, just like all of us do. However, we don't have it in our workplaces without consequences (including being fired and/or blackballed) and neither should they.

It's the same empty argument with all of you because you don't listen or empathize. Like everyone else "against" these protests, you're completely missing the point.

The effectiveness of a "protest" by a professional athlete (in front of tens of thousands of people, millions of TV viewers, etc.) is MUCH GREATER than a steakhouse waiter or bank teller.

Professional athletes have an enormous platform and therefore are able to give a voice and represent others that are less fortunate and face every day inequalities.

Sidenote: Colin Kaepernick did effectively lose his job for this.

RE: The Golden Globes. - GullLake - 01-09-2018 09:56 AM

(01-09-2018 09:33 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 09:18 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

The NFL is no different.

It's the same empty argument with all of you because you don't listen or empathize. Like everyone else "against" these protests, you're completely missing the point.

The effectiveness of a "protest" by a professional athlete (in front of tens of thousands of people, millions of TV viewers, etc.) is MUCH GREATER than a steakhouse waiter or bank teller.

Professional athletes have an enormous platform and therefore are able to give a voice and represent others that are less fortunate and face every day inequalities.

Sidenote: Colin Kaepernick did effectively lose his job for this.

Is the NFL a private business? Yes. It does not matter what size.

You are the one completely missing the point.

And it has NOTHING to do with the issue being protested. Under your logic, if the players all held-up graphic signs of aborted fetus' during the National Anthem, that would be OK, too, and certainly would show empathy. What if a group held signs with Hillary's pic on it and "Lock Her Up!" under it, or signs saying "Global Warming Isn't Real!" Wrong, wrong, wrong!

The players are free to play politics on their own time and dime. They already have an "enormous platform" off the field. The owners/businesses have every right to limit or prohibit their expression on it.

RE: The Golden Globes. - RunningGame - 01-09-2018 11:30 AM

I too turned off the NFL, between changing kickoff rules, realizing every NFL roster has more turnover than college teams (reducing it to "go Red and Gold team!!!"), the Ravens injecting themselves into the health care debate, and the NFL showing a complete lack of care when it comes to officiating (how are they not full-time employees? They have the cash...).

I don't miss it either, so much more time on Sundays and so little drama. And I didn't have to care about a player inappropriately using his time on the field to make a political statement.

RE: The Golden Globes. - Hoekjeness - 01-09-2018 12:19 PM

(01-09-2018 09:56 AM)GullLake Wrote:  You are the one completely missing the point.

And it has NOTHING to do with the issue being protested.

Wrong.

They are the ones protesting, not you. You don't get to decide their message.

It's a shame people such as yourself don't take the time to listen. I'm guessing you have the privilege to do so.

RE: The Golden Globes. - GullLake - 01-09-2018 12:36 PM

(01-09-2018 12:19 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 09:56 AM)GullLake Wrote:  You are the one completely missing the point.

And it has NOTHING to do with the issue being protested.

Wrong.

They are the ones protesting, not you. You don't get to decide their message.

It's a shame people such as yourself don't take the time to listen. I'm guessing you have the privilege to do so.

?!?

It is not their message. It is the vehicle which they are using for their message.

There is no freedom of speech/expression in the private workplace, regardless of the merits, or lack of merits, of the message. I made that pretty clear.

Please re-read my posts and "...take the time to listen."

RE: The Golden Globes. - Ken Barna - 01-09-2018 12:43 PM

Dear GullLake,
Interesting discussion, if you look at history, people have protested in the work place. The sit-down strikes of the automobile plants in the 1930's, the sit-ins at various places of business during the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Those are just a couple of examples that were done during their time period, so that people would notice, and take the time to listen.

RE: The Golden Globes. - GullLake - 01-09-2018 01:00 PM

(01-09-2018 12:43 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear GullLake,
Interesting discussion, if you look at history, people have protested in the work place. The sit-down strikes of the automobile plants in the 1930's, the sit-ins at various places of business during the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Those are just a couple of examples that were done during their time period, so that people would notice, and take the time to listen.

Ken -

Thanks for your post.

Yes it is an interesting discussion.

Yes a protest can be done in a private business, but those who do it have no "right" to. The business owner has every right to limit or prohibit, with consequences.

Do it on your own time and dime, no problem. And NFL players have a HUGE stage of their own (and clearly plenty of $), without using/misusing the workplace provided by their employer.

Also, the vehicle used for the protest is best to not be counter-productive to what you are attempting to achieve. Protesting DURING the National Anthem - regardless of the issue - is going to push more people AWAY than drawn-in (stupid).

I am a supporter of the Pro-Life movement, but would be greatly offended if NFL players used the National Anthem as a vehicle to protest the social injustice of abortion.

http://abort73.com/abortion/abortion_and_race/

Some can't see beyond their own strong views on an issue.

RE: The Golden Globes. - RunningGame - 01-09-2018 02:03 PM

(01-09-2018 01:00 PM)GullLake Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 12:43 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear GullLake,

Ken -

Thanks for your post.

Yes it is an interesting discussion.

Yes a protest can be done in a private business, but those who do it have no "right" to. The business owner has every right to limit or prohibit, with consequences.

Do it on your own time and dime, no problem. And NFL players have a HUGE stage of their own (and clearly plenty of $), without using/misusing the workplace provided by their employer.

Also, the vehicle used for the protest is best to not be counter-productive to what you are attempting to achieve. Protesting DURING the National Anthem - regardless of the issue - is going to push more people AWAY than drawn-in (stupid).

I am a supporter of the Pro-Life movement, but would be greatly offended if NFL players used the National Anthem as a vehicle to protest the social injustice of abortion.

http://abort73.com/abortion/abortion_and_race/

Some can't see beyond their own strong views on an issue.

We could start bringing up politics in football posts here, this is, after all, a commentary forum. I've got some pretty burning issues that need attention, and I have tons of gruesome details you probably ought to know anyway. Perhaps you all want to hear about it (until I get banned by a moderator who doesn't empathize with me)?

RE: The Golden Globes. - Hoekjeness - 01-09-2018 03:28 PM

Protests by their very nature are meant to be uncomfortable.

The Civil Rights movement wasn’t exactly “comfortable” but they’re considered pioneers and hero’s today.

Pretty clear we still have a ways to go in this country to open up people’s eyes.