CSNbbs
Early Signing Period - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: Early Signing Period (/thread-837802.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Early Signing Period - ilovegymnast - 12-20-2017 10:20 AM

So far two recruits have signed.

Javaughn Williams 6-3 WR
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/javaughn-williams/ZCxriCQ6EeS00gAmVebEWg/default.htm

Craig Elmore 5-9 RB
http://www.hudl.com/profile/5260644/craig-elmore

RE: Early Signing Period - goldenflash99 - 12-20-2017 11:24 PM

(12-20-2017 10:20 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  So far two recruits have signed.

Javaughn Williams 6-3 WR
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/javaughn-williams/ZCxriCQ6EeS00gAmVebEWg/default.htm

Craig Elmore 5-9 RB
http://www.hudl.com/profile/5260644/craig-elmore

Williams is a nice recruit. He had a handful of other FBS offers. Obviously tall, but not particularly fast if he ends up as a WR.

Elmore was not highly recruited. But he was all-state, played for state champion Phillips HS, & rushed for 1800+ with 22 TDs.

BTW Western had 20 early signees today. Let's see what Coach Lewis can do to catch up by Feb.

RE: Early Signing Period - GoFlashes7 - 12-21-2017 12:27 PM

It looks like Sean Lewis has been hard at work, as he has secured a few commitments already.

Here is the list of 9 verbal commitments in addition to the 2 early signees for KSU Football:
Taurean Taylor - RB - Tucker GA
Lamar Farris - QB - Jena LA
Mark Carter - S - Opa Locka FL
Shane Johnson - QB - Snow College JC
Michael Sullivan - OG. Dedham MA
Creed Stegall-Monroe - S - Detroit MI
Rovny Dslia - OLB - Pittsburgh PA
Derrick Corbin - DB - Detroit MI
Tamatoa Neher - OL - Snow College JC

RE: Early Signing Period - GoFlashes7 - 12-21-2017 01:08 PM

Per Allen Moff of the Record-Courier, the following players are transferring out or not returning next year.

Stefano Millin - OL graduated and is graduate transferring to Cincinnati Bearcats (this 1 hurts the most, as he was considered a pro prospect and would have been the LT next year)

Shane Hynes - K graduated and is graduate transferring to University of South Carolina Gamecocks

George Bollas - QB headed to Pharmacy School
Nick Holley - RB/QB graduated and not returning due to injuries

With that said, that would free up 4 scholarships for Lewis 1st class. Also, 17 seniors and the 3 additional listed above, would say that 20 scholarships are available for this class, but that is before additional transfers in & out happen once Lewis/staff meet with the players and get the lay of the land.

RE: Early Signing Period - Muskrat - 12-21-2017 04:40 PM

I note how few recruits are from Ohio. The same can be said of Ohio State's list. Over the past four decades Ohio has slipped down several pegs as a state to get D I football players from. It is still better than average, I guess, but not what it once was.

RE: Early Signing Period - KSU93 - 12-22-2017 06:49 AM

(12-21-2017 04:40 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  I note how few recruits are from Ohio. The same can be said of Ohio State's list. Over the past four decades Ohio has slipped down several pegs as a state to get D I football players from. It is still better than average, I guess, but not what it once was.

Please don’t compare us to OSU. There is surely enough talent for KSU

RE: Early Signing Period - Muskrat - 12-22-2017 07:10 AM

KSU93, that isn't what I was saying at all!

RE: Early Signing Period - OLNWFLSH - 12-22-2017 07:52 AM

(12-22-2017 07:10 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  KSU93, that isn't what I was saying at all!
I live very close to an Ohio Div III school - even they recruit and have multiple players on the roster from Florida - the state has 20 million people - twice Ohio's population. I guess that is why the success this year of FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, Miami and FSU is not all that surprising.

RE: Early Signing Period - Muskrat - 12-22-2017 10:40 AM

There was a time when an Ohio school could win and win big with virtually all Ohio recruits. Decades ago, the Ohio State roster would have maybe only four out of state players, usually from western PA. Those days are long gone. I just looked at some sites. Ohio is still 5th in terms of the number of D I players even though it is 7th in population. That is better than I thought. But still, every team needs to recruit heavily outside of the state because there are several D I football programs fighting for those and Ohio State is always going to get the cream of the crop, with a rare exception here and there, of the Ohio boys who stay in-state.

RE: Early Signing Period - cleveland - 12-22-2017 04:02 PM

(12-22-2017 10:40 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  There was a time when an Ohio school could win and win big with virtually all Ohio recruits. Decades ago, the Ohio State roster would have maybe only four out of state players, usually from western PA. Those days are long gone. I just looked at some sites. Ohio is still 5th in terms of the number of D I players even though it is 7th in population. That is better than I thought. But still, every team needs to recruit heavily outside of the state because there are several D I football programs fighting for those and Ohio State is always going to get the cream of the crop, with a rare exception here and there, of the Ohio boys who stay in-state.

With the possible exception of Texas ... name another state that has eight D-1 football teams, a 1-A (YSU) power, and D11 (Ashland) contender a D111 dynasty and several other strong D111 programs ... frankly, a dead-end program like Kent is probably wasting its time getting in that line to recruit ... Florida/Georgia has more talent and less competition for it ...

RE: Early Signing Period - Muskrat - 12-22-2017 05:29 PM

My point, exactly, Cleveland. I'm certainly not saying that they should not recruit Ohio, but they need to make sure they have several other areas to draw from.

RE: Early Signing Period - goldenflash99 - 12-22-2017 11:34 PM

Solid recruit at linebacker: https://247sports.com/Player/Ishmael-Robinson-46038048

RE: Early Signing Period - Muskrat - 12-24-2017 09:27 AM

The good news is that the bar in the MAC is set awfully low. Toledo was the best team and they were whupped big last night. Heck, Akron won the East and KSU only lost to them by 10. The task facing the new coach isn't exactly Herculean.

RE: Early Signing Period - dannyb73 - 12-24-2017 10:10 AM

(12-24-2017 09:27 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  The good news is that the bar in the MAC is set awfully low. Toledo was the best team and they were whupped big last night. Heck, Akron won the East and KSU only lost to them by 10. The task facing the new coach isn't exactly Herculean.

Yes, if we are being completely honest, MAC football sucks.

RE: Early Signing Period - axeme - 12-24-2017 11:11 AM

Going from the bottom of this league to the top is not exactly like IU trying to win the Big 10. Hell, we did it 5 years ago. Coaching, recruiting, and coaching. And recruiting is really also coaching.

RE: Early Signing Period - Muskrat - 12-25-2017 09:22 AM

I agree, Axeme. There are plenty of programs in Power 5 conferences that have a much greater task to become relevant in their conferences than Kent State has in the MAC. Duke, Kansas, Maryland, Rutgers and the like.

RE: Early Signing Period - Slinkin Street Flash - 12-26-2017 09:22 AM

(12-22-2017 04:02 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(12-22-2017 10:40 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  There was a time when an Ohio school could win and win big with virtually all Ohio recruits. Decades ago, the Ohio State roster would have maybe only four out of state players, usually from western PA. Those days are long gone. I just looked at some sites. Ohio is still 5th in terms of the number of D I players even though it is 7th in population. That is better than I thought. But still, every team needs to recruit heavily outside of the state because there are several D I football programs fighting for those and Ohio State is always going to get the cream of the crop, with a rare exception here and there, of the Ohio boys who stay in-state.

With the possible exception of Texas ... name another state that has eight D-1 football teams, a 1-A (YSU) power, and D11 (Ashland) contender a D111 dynasty and several other strong D111 programs ... frankly, a dead-end program like Kent is probably wasting its time getting in that line to recruit ... Florida/Georgia has more talent and less competition for it ...

Just pointing out, Florida has gone from the 3 1-A teams it had in the 1990s to 7 now, adding Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Florida. These new schools are all playing bowls this year (who'd a-thunk it, out of the 7 teams, only the Gators ain't bowling this year). There's a lot more competition for Florida talent now

RE: Early Signing Period - GoFlashes7 - 12-28-2017 10:29 AM

Does everyone on hear like the early signing period or think it should be the old way with just 1 signing day in February? Do you think it hurts or helps Coach Lewis/staff, with them coming in fresh? (Better to know who is off the table vs who is available?)

RE: Early Signing Period - goldenflash99 - 12-28-2017 12:30 PM

(12-28-2017 10:29 AM)GoFlashes7 Wrote:  Does everyone on hear like the early signing period or think it should be the old way with just 1 signing day in February? Do you think it hurts or helps Coach Lewis/staff, with them coming in fresh? (Better to know who is off the table vs who is available?)

PH and company were aready so far behind the leading MAC programs it didn't make a difference this year. We are going to need to hit JUCOs and transfers hard to make up ground come Feb. Toledo, NIU, and Western set the bar w 20+ committments in the early period, so that's what we need to aim for with the class of 19.

RE: Early Signing Period - GoFlashes7 - 01-02-2018 02:06 PM

Looks like 3 more players have been offered for the 2018 class.

Nick Calcagno - WR - Naperville North HS
Matthew Trickett - P/K - St Ignatius HS
Carlton Lorenz - OL - College of the Canyons JC (will have 3 years of eligibility, May 2018 Graduate)