CSNbbs
Ohio State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Ohio State (/thread-836640.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ohio State - bubbadog57 - 12-08-2017 06:39 AM

Having already won the first two road games of this three game road swing
the guys conclude it tomorrow with a visit to Ohio State.

Already exceeding, by far, all the pre-season negativism the Tribe has
some of us secretly believing there's an unspoken chance we might actually win tomorrow. Having watched two OSU games on television recently, including their win over Michigan, I continue to hold there's a chance.

OSU is not a great team but is a solid, talented...but not deep...Big Ten team with a strong center and a couple of very heady guards. They work hard at not allowing wide open shots and are adept at setting up open drives to the basket on offense.

However if we continue to hold our cool, space out the guys on offense
and make our foul shots we will have a chance; frankly, we have better shooters than they do based on what I saw on tv only.

And the deciding factor will come down, in my opinion, to Nathan. While OSU's center is big and tough he does not have the speed of Knight around the basket and will be vulnerable when Knight has the ball..I expect they may double Nathan at times so Knight' ability to pass to an open shooter in these situations will be critical. And, as is the case every game with our team, Knight must avoid silly early fouls.

I don't believe the huge, always boisterous ODU crowd will give our guys stagefright. This team displayed a calm grittiness against Mason and may, in fact, feed on the OSU crowd.

Anyway, this is a game where, I'm sure, OSU fans have little respect for us but, where, at least to my thinking, we have a slim, but real, chance to send them home unhappy.

RE: Ohio State - mrjoolius - 12-08-2017 06:59 AM

I'm hoping that the improved second half defense against GMU turned on a light bulb for these guys and it carries over. Otherwise, it's the same tune. I worry about our ability to stop dribble penetration and I worry about getting manhandled on the boards. If OSU is smart, they will slow the game down and try to out athlete us in the half court. I would be pleased if they wanted to engage in a fast paced shootout. Plays in to our strength.

Ohio State - zablenoise - 12-08-2017 08:58 AM

Boy do I take CAA TV for granted...

This one looks like it'll be $10 on BTNtogo.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

RE: Ohio State - Naptown Tribe - 12-08-2017 09:19 AM

(12-08-2017 08:58 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  Boy do I take CAA TV for granted...

I’m sorta surprised this game isn’t on ESPN3

Ohio State - Tribal - 12-08-2017 09:35 AM

ESPN gives us a 15% chance of winning.

This stat line clearly shows we are the better team:[Image: c34ef20c7e44a1dc4d8fd9379d8ada06.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Ohio State - Mrs. Got Ribe - 12-08-2017 09:37 AM

I just hope our hotel internet is strong enough to stream this one.

RE: Ohio State - zablenoise - 12-08-2017 09:45 AM

BUT! If you are anywhere near C-Bus, I am seeing tickets going for only $3.

RE: Ohio State - Tribester - 12-08-2017 09:48 AM

Don’t be too sure about the boisterous crowd...you can get tickets on Stub Hub for 3 dollars right now. This ain’t a football game.

RE: Ohio State - Zorch - 12-08-2017 10:34 AM

(12-08-2017 06:39 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  there's an unspoken chance we might actually win tomorrow.

Great post, BigTribe3! And it is not unspoken any more -- you spoke it and I am right there in agreement with you!

The Big Ten has a reputation of "letting them play". Let's hope that they adhere to that and don't give Nathan fouls for scratching his nose the wrong way. Whenever we are good enough to possibly win a big away game at a power conference, I always worry about officiating. If it is clean then we have a good chance.

Ohio State - mrjoolius - 12-08-2017 10:46 AM

I don't know. I'm hopeful, but not feeling too good about a win. I do expect a competitive game, but generally speaking, the refs will favor the home P5 team when it's close. If we plan to win, we better have a 7-10 point lead going into the final couple of minutes. Otherwise, expect non-calls and general craziness to happen.

RE: Ohio State - TDenverFan - 12-08-2017 11:21 AM

Right? Like I get it might not make the school much money, but as a fan it's wonderful.

RE: Ohio State - billymac - 12-08-2017 11:25 AM

A quick dive on the Buckeyes:

Ohio State is coming off a 71-62 win over Big Ten rival Michigan, ending the game on a 14-2 run while holding Michigan to two points in the last 4:54 of play.

6'7" Junior Forward Keita Bates-Diop paced the Buckeyes over the first 10 games of the season with 17.4 points a game with a total of 99 rebounds (9.9 rpg). He is one of three regulars shooting better than 50 percent from the field (64-126/.508). He also led the Buckeyes with 22 made 3-pointers (50.8%) and was the team leader in blocked shots with 14. Oh, …and he also is an 80% free throw shooter, just for good measure.

6'4" Senior Guard Jae’Sean Tate connected on 55 percent of his shots (56-101) for an average of 13.3 ppg. He topped the Buckeyes with 12 steals and was second with 30 assists and grabs 6.2 rebounds from his guard position.

6'1" Junior Guard CJ Jackson averages 13.2 ppg and 3.8 apg, while shooting 39% from three and 85% from the FT line.

In four starts over nine games, 6'9" freshman center Kaleb Wesson scored on 31 of 54 field goal attempts (.574) and led the team in both made (41) and attempted (57) free throw attempts. He also has 8 blocks, second on the team.

The Buckeyes allow 35% shooting from the three point range, allowing 8.6 3 pointers per game to their opposition.

They make a fairly high number of turnovers per game, at 14.3 per contest.

Ohio State owns a 10-2 record all-time vs. teams representing the Colonial Athletic Conference following a, 80-55 win over Northeastern, Nov. 19 in Columbus.

My Take: I probably think that 15% chance of victory feels about right.
We are, obviously, taking a step up in class (against the Buckeyes and TCU) and we will need to rise to the occasion, as well. The key, as always, for us, will be hot shooting and keeping them off the boards. They apparently are willing to help out by making some turnovers and we will definitely need to be the winner on 50-50 balls and have very few unforced turnovers.
Shooting, on the road, is always more difficult, but we showed that even bad starts can be overcome once we find the range.
Nathan needs to be able to stay on the floor and, maybe, get his freshman counterpart into foul trouble and extra time on the OSU bench.
A little defense is always a plus and the 3-2 zone looks like it may be starting to be understood a little better as the season goes on.
They will probably be overlooking us, a bit (just normal - they just played Michigan), so we need to take advantage early and see if we can turn a hot start into an early lead and make them play from behind.

If nothing else, it will certainly be a good measuring stick for this young, and improving, team.

RE: Ohio State - Naptown Tribe - 12-08-2017 11:50 AM

Don’t forget that OSU once gifted us Rick Boyages .....

RE: Ohio State - Naptown Tribe - 12-08-2017 11:53 AM

Yeah, would be great to get a hot start and get confident and see where it goes. If Nathan stays out of foul trouble, Burch gets hot, and we play defense for at least a possession or two who knows what could happen.

Don’t think we will win but would love to keep our momentum and confidence growing and play in a way that this game be something to build on no matter what the final score is.

RE: Ohio State - SoCal Frank - 12-08-2017 03:25 PM

Aside from the all important check, this game gives the guys a measuring stick as to where they fit in the big picture of D1 basketball. It’s also a preview of coming attractions in Ft Worth. Those $3 tickets are telling.

RE: Ohio State - Zorch - 12-08-2017 04:17 PM

(12-08-2017 11:25 AM)billymac Wrote:  Ohio State owns a 10-2 record all-time vs. teams representing the Colonial Athletic Conference

(12-06-2017 11:22 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Moreover, Ohio State has probably never heard of the CAA and, if they ever mentioned it at all, they would be like those ESPN/CBS idiots who still refer to the "Colonial" league.

HA - this is just what I was talking about (billymac obviously was quoting data direct from the OSU site). No one has any trouble saying "ACC" but apparently everybody has trouble with "CAA". Go figure.

RE: Ohio State - billymac - 12-08-2017 04:35 PM

(12-08-2017 04:17 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 11:25 AM)billymac Wrote:  Ohio State owns a 10-2 record all-time vs. teams representing the Colonial Athletic Conference

(12-06-2017 11:22 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Moreover, Ohio State has probably never heard of the CAA and, if they ever mentioned it at all, they would be like those ESPN/CBS idiots who still refer to the "Colonial" league.

HA - this is just what I was talking about (billymac obviously was quoting data direct from the OSU site). No one has any trouble saying "ACC" but apparently everybody has trouble with "CAA". Go figure.

Yep, fine me for not proof reading their release. Good catch by you.

RE: Ohio State - nj alum - 12-08-2017 04:43 PM

Being married to a Buckeye, I agree with this analysis:

https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-basketball-back-in-action-by-hosting-William-Mary-111974276

Love the game show quote. Buckeye coach gets it; question will be whether his players listen, and whether the Tribe brings their "A" game.

Would love to see the Tribe get hot from the field, and Ohio State break into a cold sweat!

Go Tribe!

RE: Ohio State - Zorch - 12-08-2017 04:47 PM

(12-08-2017 04:35 PM)billymac Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 04:17 PM)Zorch Wrote:  

Yep, fine me for not proof reading their release. Good catch by you.

I certainly knew it wasn't done by you. We all have things that act as burrs under our saddle -- "Colonial" is one of mine.

RE: Ohio State - TribePride91 - 12-08-2017 06:34 PM

Tribe 14.5 point underdogs.