CSNbbs
NEW stadium construction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: NEW stadium construction (/thread-836306.html)

RE: NEW stadium construction - Punk - 02-28-2019 10:55 AM

https://www.odu.edu/news/2019/2/s_b_ballard_stadium_#.XHgEL4hKg2w

Update from Harry, but doesn't mention if things are on schedule other than saying it will be done before the home opener.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Sirloin Burger - 02-28-2019 12:01 PM

We could blame the fans for the capacity of the stadium.

No ticket waiting list.

We don't show up if the weather is bad.

We threaten to end donations or not purchase season tickets if we don't get our way.

30,000 seating capacity sounds nice, but the fans have demonstrated to the admin that the extra seats aren't needed right now.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mo Blue Den You - 02-28-2019 12:52 PM

(02-28-2019 12:01 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  We could blame the fans for the capacity of the stadium.

No ticket waiting list.

We threaten to end donations or not purchase season tickets if we don't get our way.

30,000 seating capacity sounds nice, but the fans have demonstrated to the admin that the extra seats aren't needed right now.

The admin, up until the ex VT and last couple hires had demonstrated to its fanbase that a new and improved coach and energy wasnt needed right now either.

Blame it on the fans? Maybe the administration.

Regardless of who the coach is, the fans are going to donate when we're building a new stadium. Everyone likes to feel like they're apart of something. I dont think the constant flow of donations is in support of Bobby but rather for our Stadium being built.

I would bet if we werent building a new stadium and the admin planned to keep Bobby, our donations would then suffer.

Dont blame anything on the fans. They arent the ones who decide make or break decisions. Fans react based on what the admin gives them.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Sirloin Burger - 02-28-2019 04:25 PM

(02-28-2019 12:52 PM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  
(02-28-2019 12:01 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  We could blame the fans for the capacity of the stadium.

No ticket waiting list.

The admin, up until the ex VT and last couple hires had demonstrated to its fanbase that a new and improved coach and energy wasnt needed right now either.

Regardless of who the coach is, the fans are going to donate when we're building a new stadium. Everyone likes to feel like they're apart of something. I dont think the constant flow of donations is in support of Bobby but rather for our Stadium being built.

I would bet if we werent building a new stadium and the admin planned to keep Bobby, our donations would then suffer.

Dont blame anything on the fans. They arent the ones who decide make or break decisions. Fans react based on what the admin gives them.

I'm talking about fan behavior. In this case, it's about attendance. The fans haven't demonstrated a need for a bigger stadium. Again, we have fans who aren't willing to support the team during hard times. We have fans who are reluctant to make it to the game if the slightest percentage of rain is forcasted. We have fans who would rather stream the game for free. We no longer have a waiting list.

Fans were quitting the team this past season even before the Monarchs were mathematically eliminated from Bowl eligibility. These are the same fans who think we need 30k seats.

Look at our Men's Basketball team. They're having a great season and yet our head coach is begging the fans to come to the games at a meager 8,500 seat arena. He says we've only soldout once this season. I'm sure ODU officials have looked at Scope attendance figures during the good and bad seasons and settled on the number of seats. It's not the only factor but an important one.

Fan/customer behavior is always considered in the decision making process.

RE: NEW stadium construction - cmett003 - 02-28-2019 04:32 PM

(02-28-2019 04:25 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  

No ticket waiting list.

I'm talking about fan behavior. In this case, it's about attendance. The fans haven't demonstrated a need for a bigger stadium. Again, we have fans who aren't willing to support the team during hard times. We have fans who are reluctant to make it to the game if the slightest percentage of rain is forcasted. We have fans who would rather stream the game for free. We no longer have a waiting list.

Fans were quitting the team this past season even before the Monarchs were mathematically eliminated from Bowl eligibility. These are the same fans who think we need 30k seats.

Look at our Men's Basketball team. They're having a great season and yet our head coach is begging the fans to come to the games at a meager 8,500 seat arena. He says we've only soldout once this season. I'm sure ODU officials have looked at Scope attendance figures during the good and bad seasons and settled on the number of seats. It's not the only factor but an important one.

First we literally had the worst stadium in the country as far as fan amenities. We had a very long sellout streak and then the on field performance drops and you are blaming the fans for not sticking around? Come on man.

Second, the new stadium will look terrible as long as that north endzone is there. That is a fact. Tear it down and get to 25,000. When we get better on the field add an upper deck to the east side to get to 30,000

RE: NEW stadium construction - monarx - 02-28-2019 04:37 PM

(02-28-2019 04:32 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

No ticket waiting list.

First we literally had the worst stadium in the country as far as fan amenities. We had a very long sellout streak and then the on field performance drops and you are blaming the fans for not sticking around? Come on man.

Second, the new stadium will look terrible as long as that north endzone is there. That is a fact. Tear it down and get to 25,000. When we get better on the field add an upper deck to the east side to get to 30,000

Hoping that is the plan. And especially hoping that new end zone comes soon. Its like building a beautiful new house and putting a car up on blocks in the front yard as long as that end zone is there.

RE: NEW stadium construction - MonGNARch - 02-28-2019 04:44 PM

After driving past the site last weekend, and seeing how they bought out a property where there used to be a house that they're currently using for storage, I think they should have found a way to get Bluestone and the first row of houses all the way up past the stadium footprintto be able to expand the West side. But that is way out of the question now lol

RE: NEW stadium construction - paintedblue2 - 02-28-2019 05:53 PM

No ticket waiting list.

That is actually an alternate fact. The new stadium will look great at kickoff. Yes, it will look much better when the north end zone is replaced, but that not happening until possibly next off-season will not make the new stadium look terrible.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Sirloin Burger - 02-28-2019 06:19 PM

No ticket waiting list.

And this is probably why we don't have a seating capacity that the fans want.
Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of 30k but why add extra seats when fans only show up if the team is winning. It's the same symptom at every FBS program and everywhere you see empty seats.

There'll be rebuilding seasons that'll test the loyalty of our fanbase for years to come. During these down years, ODU still needs those seats filled to sustain the program.

I know some of you like that 25k number because that's the stadium capacity of the 4th FBS program in the state. So here's the announced attendance of the UNT game - 14,000. Probably less than that.

Among it's AAC opponents, Houston is averaging less than 30k in it's 40k stadium.

[Image: 920x1240.jpg]

Even Alabama has attendance issues and they're winning.

[Image: alabama-student-sectionjpg-4b087a1512e12b8e.jpg]

Again, the SBB stadium capacity is what it is for a reason and our fanbase probably has something to do with it. Even when we lose, the program still needs our support. Maybe we can get to 30k some day win or lose.

RE: NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 02-28-2019 06:42 PM

(02-28-2019 05:53 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  

No ticket waiting list.

That is actually an alternate fact. The new stadium will look great at kickoff. Yes, it will look much better when the north end zone is replaced, but that not happening until possibly next off-season will not make the new stadium look terrible.
I am with cmett on this one. As long as the North endzone and scoreboard stay as is, the stadium won't have a complete look. Not on the scale of the JMU debacle, but incomplete nonetheless. Glad there's plans to get that replaced asap.

NEW stadium construction - Beans N Cornbread - 02-28-2019 07:56 PM

I for one am psyched for the renovated sidelines and don't care about the capacity. Look forward to the first game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - GotLabradors - 02-28-2019 08:42 PM

No ticket waiting list.

100% correct. If the stadium were even mostly full at most of the games, you might get more capacity. When butts aren't in the seats we already have, why add more to just sit empty? I am hoping to see more students show up to support the team this year.

NEW stadium construction - Big Blue Crazy - 02-28-2019 09:52 PM

Administration was never going to build a larger stadium.
Keep demand high (especially during good times). Keeps prices up and donations coming in!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - FearTheLion - 03-01-2019 02:25 PM

Yea it's not like there is anyone that has to sell out every game to build a larger stadium or anything. And it's not like every fan base doesn't have fans that pull back donations, don't go out to sit in the rain at games, or even stay at home during down seasons.

As long as ODU plays at 90-95% capacity on regular games and are bringing in 2 or 3 large fan bases per year (which was the point of moving to FBS--scheduling), it has already proven that a larger stadium is needed. If you had 30k, it is probably definitely full against VT, and probably full against UVA, ECU, WVU, and Penn State and I happen to think we can get WVU in there when we are ready to work on it. Penn State--not so certain, but I know their head coach loves to showcase his program in the 757.

But hey, perhaps we have to be the ONLY school that is forced to sell out every game (without exception) to support an increase in capacity. I can guarantee you that JMU didn't have to sellout every game at 20k before the same state allowed them to raise student fees to build a tilt-a-whirl half stadium to push capacity to 25k. But just throw this one into an ever-growing list of non-traditional and unique hurdles for ODU to jump over simply to improve itself.

And as I laugh as myself, do any of you old timers remember Tilt-A-Whirl? OMG. I kept wondering what that stadium up in Harrisonburg reminds me of and now I get it! And it now has an official nickname. LMAO.

RE: NEW stadium construction - VB Monarch - 03-01-2019 05:43 PM

We had this exact discussion when The Ted was built. Many wanted a 10,000 seat Ted. Seems to me it's worked out just fine.
I think same will be true about Ballard

RE: NEW stadium construction - cmett003 - 03-01-2019 06:11 PM

(03-01-2019 05:43 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  We had this exact discussion when The Ted was built. Many wanted a 10,000 seat Ted. Seems to me it's worked out just fine.

The ted didn’t have a 50 year old section of seating that desparetly needs to be replaced. If we can’t get to 25k for conference games and 30k for VT and UVA then we shouldn’t be FBS. 30k is not that many fans and neither is 10k for basketball.

RE: NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 03-01-2019 07:58 PM

(03-01-2019 02:25 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  Yea it's not like there is anyone that has to sell out every game to build a larger stadium or anything. And it's not like every fan base doesn't have fans that pull back donations, don't go out to sit in the rain at games, or even stay at home during down seasons.

As long as ODU plays at 90-95% capacity on regular games and are bringing in 2 or 3 large fan bases per year (which was the point of moving to FBS--scheduling), it has already proven that a larger stadium is needed. If you had 30k, it is probably definitely full against VT, and probably full against UVA, ECU, WVU, and Penn State and I happen to think we can get WVU in there when we are ready to work on it. Penn State--not so certain, but I know their head coach loves to showcase his program in the 757.

But hey, perhaps we have to be the ONLY school that is forced to sell out every game (without exception) to support an increase in capacity. I can guarantee you that JMU didn't have to sellout every game at 20k before the same state allowed them to raise student fees to build a tilt-a-whirl half stadium to push capacity to 25k. But just throw this one into an ever-growing list of non-traditional and unique hurdles for ODU to jump over simply to improve itself.

And as I laugh as myself, do any of you old timers remember Tilt-A-Whirl? OMG. I kept wondering what that stadium up in Harrisonburg reminds me of and now I get it! And it now has an official nickname. LMAO.
I'm not an old timer yet and I remember tilt a whirl. That's a great analogy lol

RE: NEW stadium construction - Beans N Cornbread - 03-01-2019 10:34 PM

(03-01-2019 06:11 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 05:43 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  We had this exact discussion when The Ted was built. Many wanted a 10,000 seat Ted. Seems to me it's worked out just fine.

The ted didn’t have a 50 year old section of seating that desparetly needs to be replaced. If we can’t get to 25k for conference games and 30k for VT and UVA then we shouldn’t be FBS. 30k is not that many fans and neither is 10k for basketball.
Did you ever go to the field house? That was a piece of **** compared to the Ted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - BigBlueMonarch - 03-02-2019 02:33 AM

Yes, but the field house rocked when it was full. And it was cool that you could stand on the balcony behind the west side hoop and watch the game. Used to sneak in occasionally.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: NEW stadium construction - paintedblue2 - 03-02-2019 08:08 AM

(03-02-2019 02:33 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Yes, but the field house rocked when it was full. And it was cool that you could stand on the balcony behind the west side hoop and watch the game. Used to sneak in occasionally.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CSNbbs mobile app

True, it did. I attended a lot of men’s and women’s games there and the atmosphere was great. I think that we will all be happy with the new stadium in this regard. With the stands being so much closer to the field, and the stadium being taller and much more closed-in the sound generated by the crowd will have a big effect on the games. We’re going to love that, as well as all of the extra personal space.