CSNbbs
NEW stadium construction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: NEW stadium construction (/thread-836306.html)

RE: NEW stadium construction - Punk - 01-29-2019 02:09 PM

(01-29-2019 02:04 PM)owynn Wrote:  Do I see a crane being constructed on the live cam today?

Oh yeah, it's going to be a lot more fun to start tracking the progress instead of watching concrete dry, lol.

RE: NEW stadium construction - AimHigher - 01-29-2019 02:13 PM

(01-29-2019 11:58 AM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  Calling it Korn Field is a recipe for failure. The know how this came about. As a black male, I find this offensive and I know the black kids which are the better athletes won't come play at ODU. I wouldn't come play at the "Korn Field" Just a thought...

Coming from a family of farmers dating back to the 1700s in the area and loving agricultural history, I would try to educate a kid on the importance and history of the great African American farmers and agricultural inventors who succeeded in rough times in our history. History books don't tell about the story's of black farmers but if you find yourself in a farming community you will hear stories from generations ago about black farmers. You don't have to go far to see it for yourself. Southampton County 60 miles from Norfolk has an event called Southampton Heritage Day and you will meet and see black, white and local Native American farmers.

Just a few AA Farmers/ inventors that I know of.
Henry Blair invented a corn planter and a cotton planter.
Norbert Rillieux plantation owner and inventor of a system to extract sugar.
Andrew Beard inventor of plow implements for steam engines.
George Washington Carver invented a method to increase the soils productive that helped farmers yield more crops.
George Washington Murray landowner and farmer.
John Parker invented the portable tobacco press.

RE: NEW stadium construction - bigblueodu - 01-29-2019 04:27 PM

(01-29-2019 02:13 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  
(01-29-2019 11:58 AM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  Calling it Korn Field is a recipe for failure. The know how this came about. As a black male, I find this offensive and I know the black kids which are the better athletes won't come play at ODU. I wouldn't come play at the "Korn Field" Just a thought...

Coming from a family of farmers dating back to the 1700s in the area and loving agricultural history, I would try to educate a kid on the importance and history of the great African American farmers and agricultural inventors who succeeded in rough times in our history. History books don't tell about the story's of black farmers but if you find yourself in a farming community you will hear stories from generations ago about black farmers. You don't have to go far to see it for yourself. Southampton County 60 miles from Norfolk has an event called Southampton Heritage Day and you will meet and see black, white and local Native American farmers.

Just a few AA Farmers/ inventors that I know of.
Henry Blair invented a corn planter and a cotton planter.
Norbert Rillieux plantation owner and inventor of a system to extract sugar.
Andrew Beard inventor of plow implements for steam engines.
George Washington Carver invented a method to increase the soils productive that helped farmers yield more crops.
George Washington Murray landowner and farmer.
John Parker invented the portable tobacco press.

Whoa Whoa.... slow your roll dude..... Black History Month is just a few days away!

RE: NEW stadium construction - CameramanJ - 01-29-2019 05:18 PM

blau, blau, it rhymes with plow

RE: NEW stadium construction - Sirloin Burger - 01-29-2019 05:24 PM

His name is Kornblau.

It will be called Kornblau Field

You can call it whatever you like but no announcer or official program will call it Korn Field.

What a way to disrespect the guy.

Oh and the band Korn sucks.

RE: NEW stadium construction - elon77 - 01-29-2019 09:27 PM

(01-29-2019 02:04 PM)owynn Wrote:  Do I see a crane being constructed on the live cam today?
That is a big crane.

RE: NEW stadium construction - monarx - 01-29-2019 09:57 PM

I would be curious as to why “Korn Field” would be offensive? Perhaps I’m ignorant, but I don’t recognize any racially disparaging connection. Thanks.

RE: NEW stadium construction - MonGNARch - 01-30-2019 06:59 AM

It'll be hard to call it anything but Foreman Field for me. Hell, I still call the Capital One Arena in DC the Verizon Center, and before that I called it the MCI Center years after the name change. Not because I'm resistant to change, but because it's so ingrained in my brain haha

RE: NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 01-30-2019 08:25 AM

I am just very happy its named after a person who has supported ODU and not sold out to a corporation like Dollar Tree etc

RE: NEW stadium construction - monarx - 01-30-2019 10:32 AM

(01-30-2019 08:25 AM)odu09 Wrote:  I am just very happy its named after a person who has supported ODU and not sold out to a corporation like Dollar Tree etc

I like that too, however, Mr. Kornblau said he didnt even know they were naming it after him, so evidently it wasn't something negotiated. I wonder if ODAF blew an opportunity to sell naming rights and get additional money. Maybe we could have named the new scoreboard after Mr. K and still gotten another $4 or 5 million for the field naming rights too. In any case, it is a nice honor for a guy who has been so generous.

RE: NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 01-30-2019 10:46 AM

(01-30-2019 10:32 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(01-30-2019 08:25 AM)odu09 Wrote:  I am just very happy its named after a person who has supported ODU and not sold out to a corporation like Dollar Tree etc

I like that too, however, Mr. Kornblau said he didnt even know they were naming it after him, so evidently it wasn't something negotiated. I wonder if ODAF blew an opportunity to sell naming rights and get additional money. Maybe we could have named the new scoreboard after Mr. K and still gotten another $4 or 5 million for the field naming rights too. In any case, it is a nice honor for a guy who has been so generous.

Yeah, this seems to mean we will still sell first downs and sacks and 'blue zone' and coin toss and field goal doinks and the like

RE: NEW stadium construction - Monarchblue - 01-30-2019 10:49 AM

I don't get the hate for selling all the things. To me, it is kinda a funny little quaint part of the game atmosphere that I chuckle about.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Roy Munson - 01-30-2019 11:08 AM

Any chance we can edit the "Welcome to the Jungle" prior to kick off to "Welcome to the Kornfield"?

RE: NEW stadium construction - Blue_Trombone - 01-30-2019 12:15 PM

(01-30-2019 10:32 AM)monarx Wrote:  

What I read it as, was that maybe ODU was shopping around for field naming rights and not getting a ton of bites. As far as I can tell, naming it Kornblau field right now doesn't prevent naming rights being sold in the future, and this is a way to be able to honor a living alum who has already put a tremendous amount of money towards athletics. I could easily see naming rights being sold alongside a Phase 2 expansion or something similar.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Punk - 01-30-2019 12:20 PM

(01-30-2019 06:59 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  It'll be hard to call it anything but Foreman Field for me. Hell, I still call the Capital One Arena in DC the Verizon Center, and before that I called it the MCI Center years after the name change. Not because I'm resistant to change, but because it's so ingrained in my brain haha

Yeah, it's tough at first to acknowledge a new name when you have called it something else for so long. I mean, it had been Foreman Field for 82 years. I think people were looking for a nickname as Kornblau Field at SB Ballard Stadium doesn't exactly flow real well. Maybe we just go back to the suggestion of "The Steve" lol. Kidding aside, I'll try to make an effort to start calling it Kornblau Field.

RE: NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 01-30-2019 12:27 PM

When there is a big hit what's the sound you make" "Blauuu!!!" Meh. terrible.

It is kind of a tough phrase so I'm just going to call it KF.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Punk - 01-30-2019 12:31 PM

(01-30-2019 12:27 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  When there is a big hit what's the sound you make" "Blauuu!!!" Meh. terrible.

Barry's Field at Steve's Stadium

RE: NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 01-30-2019 12:33 PM

(01-30-2019 12:27 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  When there is a big hit what's the sound you make" "Blauuu!!!" Meh. terrible.

The KF Steve

RE: NEW stadium construction - Blue_Trombone - 01-30-2019 12:36 PM

(01-30-2019 12:31 PM)Punk Wrote:  

Barry's Field at Steve's Stadium

Big Blue Barry Field.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Monarchist13 - 01-30-2019 12:46 PM

[Image: 220px-Steve_%26_Barry%27s_CIMG6299.JPG]