CSNbbs
NEW stadium construction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: NEW stadium construction (/thread-836306.html)

RE: NEW stadium construction - FearTheLion - 08-28-2019 01:01 PM

(08-28-2019 09:16 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  First of all has anyone ever polled real students at ODU asking them to tell us how they feel about the current situation and what is that they need to have/see for them to show up at games consistently? With out that this discussion is just a banter of couple of alumni discussing what is best for the students irrespective of how much of our athletics revenues comes from their fees etc. IMO they should at least get half of their allotment out of NEZ and fans who can't afford side line tickets can purchase the $99 season tix in the rest of the NEZ. College FB games need student engagement so our AD needs to get a poll out there to see what needs to be done to get more students to show up for the FB games.

Really not sure if students have been polled. Great idea though. I do know that we have data points galore in our two "best mid-sized venues in America" promotions that show that students aren't too excited.

That said, I love what I am hearing about this weekend. And I really think that those who planned this opener really thought hard about what it would take to get them excited. So we are definitely on the right track. If they rock it in that northeast corner and NEZ, I'm good. But if we have the remaining 4/5 of the stadium sitting around grinning about their seat comfort and toilets available, we still are leaving a lot on the table--lol.

Go Monarchs.

RE: NEW stadium construction - cbank - 08-28-2019 01:03 PM

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211810211

Looks like they heard our complaints about the entrance, let see if it lives up to the hype of "But the main reason I’m urging you to get there is so that you'll see the pregame show leading up to the team running onto the field. It could rival Virginia Tech’s “Enter Sandman,” and if fans react the way I think they will, it will be intimidating for opponents."

RE: NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 08-28-2019 01:37 PM

(08-28-2019 01:01 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what schools outside of liberty put their students across the sideline? I've always thought that for the most part students were in the end zone/corners. I could be completely wrong though

I don't know the answer, but I'm willing to bet (not really) that no other G5 team does this.

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 08-28-2019 01:37 PM

(08-28-2019 01:01 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 09:16 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  First of all has anyone ever polled real students at ODU asking them to tell us how they feel about the current situation and what is that they need to have/see for them to show up at games consistently? With out that this discussion is just a banter of couple of alumni discussing what is best for the students irrespective of how much of our athletics revenues comes from their fees etc. IMO they should at least get half of their allotment out of NEZ and fans who can't afford side line tickets can purchase the $99 season tix in the rest of the NEZ. College FB games need student engagement so our AD needs to get a poll out there to see what needs to be done to get more students to show up for the FB games.

Really not sure if students have been polled. Great idea though. I do know that we have data points galore in our two "best mid-sized venues in America" promotions that show that students aren't too excited.

That said, I love what I am hearing about this weekend. And I really think that those who planned this opener really thought hard about what it would take to get them excited. So we are definitely on the right track. If they rock it in that northeast corner and NEZ, I'm good. But if we have the remaining 4/5 of the stadium sitting around grinning about their seat comfort and toilets available, we still are leaving a lot on the table--lol.

Go Monarchs.

Yeah i hope they come to rock the stadium. Keeping the student body engaged through out their school days is key to retaining their membership and keeping them vested in athletics after they leave the school.

RE: NEW stadium construction - MonGNARch - 08-28-2019 01:51 PM

(08-28-2019 01:03 PM)cbank Wrote:  http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211810211

Looks like they heard our complaints about the entrance, let see if it lives up to the hype of "But the main reason I’m urging you to get there is so that you'll see the pregame show leading up to the team running onto the field. It could rival Virginia Tech’s “Enter Sandman,” and if fans react the way I think they will, it will be intimidating for opponents."

That is a pretty big statement. Let's see if they can pull it off

RE: NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 08-28-2019 02:03 PM

(08-28-2019 01:51 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 01:03 PM)cbank Wrote:  http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211810211

That is a pretty big statement. Let's see if they can pull it off

That is bold. I'm making sure my butts in my seat at 6:35.

RE: NEW stadium construction - 84Monarch - 08-28-2019 02:59 PM

Waiting and seeing on this one. Athletic department has a history of pumping up a Ferrari and then the regular Ford sedan shows up.

NEW stadium construction - cbank - 08-28-2019 03:04 PM

Honestly the only way we can go is up so I’m optimistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - AimHigher - 08-28-2019 03:18 PM

There will be a flyover or parachute happening.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 08-28-2019 05:21 PM

(08-28-2019 03:18 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  There will be a flyover or parachute happening.

Parachute for sure. Not sure about fly over.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 08-28-2019 05:23 PM

(08-28-2019 01:01 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what schools outside of liberty put their students across the sideline? I've always thought that for the most part students were in the end zone/corners. I could be completely wrong though

UVA

RE: NEW stadium construction - TheDancinMonarch - 08-28-2019 05:48 PM

(08-28-2019 02:59 PM)84Monarch Wrote:  

Waiting and seeing on this one. Athletic department has a history of pumping up a Ferrari and then the regular Ford sedan shows up.

Ford sedan!? One of those would look good compared to the Edsel we usually get.

RE: NEW stadium construction - The Flagship - 08-28-2019 07:01 PM

(08-28-2019 05:23 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

UVA

Not for football they don't.

RE: NEW stadium construction - xxxoduxxx - 08-28-2019 07:26 PM

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 08-28-2019 07:29 PM

(08-28-2019 07:01 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 05:23 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

UVA

Not for football they don't.

Ummmmm...yes they do. They have the end zone and seating for the students near the band.

RE: NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 08-28-2019 07:37 PM

Talked to a buddy tonight who has seen the video but not the full production. His response to the enter sandman clame was "yeah...ya it could" based in seeing video and what he's heard. But he was coy and wouldn't give any more details so they're being really good about being tight lipped about things.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Beans N Cornbread - 08-28-2019 08:13 PM

(08-28-2019 07:26 PM)xxxoduxxx Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 08:18 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 08:02 AM)Beans N Cornbread Wrote:  5500 students would take up more than half the sideline. The economics don't make sense to do that.

What are you taking about, it's their team. Students each pay about $500/yr in fees and provide over half of the support for ODU athletic programs. They deserve some good seats. That's why Duke MBB gives the best seats to the students, plus they provide an excellent gameday experience. If you want students to show up, you need to give them something better than the NEZ.
I pay state taxes does that mean I should get preferred seating in every state University?

I'm not looking to split hairs, I'm just saying that allocating 2/3 of one sidelines seating to students would piss off lots of people willing to pony up 2-3k in donations and more in seat licenses.

I get that students are paying fees and shouldn't get **** on .... And if we had a 60k seat stadium like UVA and weren't close to selling out, I don't think anyone would blink at giving students all sideline seats. I think ODUs situation is different due to stadium size and current demand.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Old Blue - 08-28-2019 08:48 PM

(08-28-2019 08:13 PM)Beans N Cornbread Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 07:26 PM)xxxoduxxx Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 08:18 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 08:02 AM)Beans N Cornbread Wrote:  5500 students would take up more than half the sideline. The economics don't make sense to do that.

What are you taking about, it's their team. Students each pay about $500/yr in fees and provide over half of the support for ODU athletic programs. They deserve some good seats. That's why Duke MBB gives the best seats to the students, plus they provide an excellent gameday experience. If you want students to show up, you need to give them something better than the NEZ.
I pay state taxes does that mean I should get preferred seating in every state University?

I'm not looking to split hairs, I'm just saying that allocating 2/3 of one sidelines seating to students would piss off lots of people willing to pony up 2-3k in donations and more in seat licenses.

I get that students are paying fees and shouldn't get **** on .... And if we had a 60k seat stadium like UVA and weren't close to selling out, I don't think anyone would blink at giving students all sideline seats. I think ODUs situation is different due to stadium size and current demand.

I agree if the stadium was larger I'd say sure. But let's not forget we need athletic dept. revenue to help pay for the new stadium. Every ticket sold is important.

RE: NEW stadium construction - DWING - 08-28-2019 08:49 PM

(08-28-2019 07:37 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  

Talked to a buddy tonight who has seen the video but not the full production. His response to the enter sandman clame was "yeah...ya it could" based in seeing video and what he's heard. But he was coy and wouldn't give any more details so they're being really good about being tight lipped about things.

I'll be there early to see what all this talk is about, but then again I'm always in my seat before the team takes the field. Hope it is a great entrance.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Grommet - 08-28-2019 08:57 PM

(08-28-2019 01:37 PM)odu09 Wrote:  

I don't know the answer, but I'm willing to bet (not really) that no other G5 team does this.

Someone on here knows, because they posted about it around the time of the Liberty game. From memory (and therefore subject to failure), most conferences don't allow students behind an opponent's bench, but LU aren't in conference.