CSNbbs
NEW stadium construction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: NEW stadium construction (/thread-836306.html)

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 07-02-2019 07:46 AM

(07-01-2019 09:13 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 08:40 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 05:08 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 04:12 PM)mane Wrote:  i know it's been awhile since this question was posed but I think i know why adding classrooms to the new stadium wasn't considered. i think it is because an academic building cannot have a corporate sponsor's name attached to it. so...state funds or corporate sponsor?!?

Me and few others as well. Why can't we put a academic training facility or the likes underneath NEZ and build seating on the top of it and get funds from state? I just don't get why we aren't even considering that. Some from AD has to shed some light on it i guess.

JMU Convocation center received state funding and it now has a sponsor.

Sorry what i was wondering about is integrating academic facilities into the Athletic Facilities and using state funding for their construction rather than the naming rights and state funding issue. Not sure if JMU got their funding approved by having some academic space in that building or not but we should do that if we can and get the NEZ done ASAP. We might be able to shove some tutoring class rooms, Computer Lab and/or Admissions office underneath the NEZ and get funded by the state.

Yes they did ! The last I heard ...JMU combined academic space related to sports management and recreation and tourism management with their convo center and a couple other Athletic facilities. Smart.....

RE: NEW stadium construction - Can't Tame the Lion - 07-02-2019 08:11 AM

(07-02-2019 07:46 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 09:13 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 08:40 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 05:08 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(07-01-2019 04:12 PM)mane Wrote:  i know it's been awhile since this question was posed but I think i know why adding classrooms to the new stadium wasn't considered. i think it is because an academic building cannot have a corporate sponsor's name attached to it. so...state funds or corporate sponsor?!?

Me and few others as well. Why can't we put a academic training facility or the likes underneath NEZ and build seating on the top of it and get funds from state? I just don't get why we aren't even considering that. Some from AD has to shed some light on it i guess.

JMU Convocation center received state funding and it now has a sponsor.

Sorry what i was wondering about is integrating academic facilities into the Athletic Facilities and using state funding for their construction rather than the naming rights and state funding issue. Not sure if JMU got their funding approved by having some academic space in that building or not but we should do that if we can and get the NEZ done ASAP. We might be able to shove some tutoring class rooms, Computer Lab and/or Admissions office underneath the NEZ and get funded by the state.

Yes they did ! The last I heard ...JMU combined academic space related to sports management and recreation and tourism management with their convo center and a couple other Athletic facilities. Smart.....

I believe combining an academic piece with the new NEZ is, in fact, still an option for us and is the general plan. I last spoke to those involved with the current project about a month ago and they were actively working on design options... just honing in on what the best design option and features would be.

RE: NEW stadium construction - The Flagship - 07-02-2019 08:21 AM

It is my understanding that academic space funding would only be provided for the cost of the academic space. Yeah, you can play with the numbers a bit but the State funding doesn't really help with the cost of the stadium construction.

But there are some overall cost savings of creating space within the structure for academics vs. constructing a stand-alone building for that same space.

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 09:32 AM

(07-02-2019 08:21 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  It is my understanding that academic space funding would only be provided for the cost of the academic space. Yeah, you can play with the numbers a bit but the State funding doesn't really help with the cost of the stadium construction.

But there are some overall cost savings of creating space within the structure for academics vs. constructing a stand-alone building for that same space.

Very true. This is all about saving money, space and getting the NEZ done ASAP. I know we won't be doing a very big endzone like this but i like this concept we can use the base structure setup for academic space and may be extend the structure to support for seating be it lower level or upper level.
[Image: 1.png]

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU True Blue - 07-02-2019 09:41 AM

Early this morning nearly all the turf between the goal lines was gone. Now it looks like some of the new surface may be going down.

RE: NEW stadium construction - VB Monarch - 07-02-2019 10:13 AM

Don't believe that's new turf, just left overs from original. Someone said new turf goes in late July.

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 10:22 AM

(07-02-2019 10:13 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Don't believe that's new turf, just left overs from original. Someone said new turf goes in late July.

I saw Harry mention Mid July somewhere for both Video Board and the new turf. I assume there's some plumbing work that follows this old turf removal that needs to be done for draining the field in case of heavy rain or flooding. I could be wrong but what are those orange colored square shaped cordoned markings on both sides of the field?

RE: NEW stadium construction - monarx - 07-02-2019 10:52 AM

Why not build a nice brick academic building (with a slightly curved, or multiple storied back) across the whole north side of the stadium with green space on top. (for "study space" that can double as a fantastic beer garden) then attach stadium seating to the back? The only actual stadium cost would be installing the bleachers on the back. Everything else would be part of the academic building. It doesnt seem like it should be that hard to figure out. A better option would be to put new FBS quality lorckerrooms etc under the NEZ for the Monarchs, but we probably don't have the cash for that now.

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU True Blue - 07-02-2019 11:10 AM

(07-02-2019 10:13 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Don't believe that's new turf, just left overs from original. Someone said new turf goes in late July.

you might be right, but why is turf that has been pulled up being spread back down? The early views this morning had no turf at all on nearly the entire portion between the goal lines. Now there are several sections back out on the field.

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 11:17 AM

(07-02-2019 11:10 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  

you might be right, but why is turf that has been pulled up being spread back down? The early views this morning had no turf at all on nearly the entire portion between the goal lines. Now there are several sections back out on the field.

Hmm. Are you looking at camera 1 or 2? Camera 1 has stopped working again and is stuck at yesterday but Camera 2 is showing only turf in the endzones.

RE: NEW stadium construction - benny_t - 07-02-2019 12:08 PM

(07-02-2019 10:22 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

I saw Harry mention Mid July somewhere for both Video Board and the new turf. I assume there's some plumbing work that follows this old turf removal that needs to be done for draining the field in case of heavy rain or flooding. I could be wrong but what are those orange colored square shaped cordoned markings on both sides of the field?

The orange squares look like silt screen that is installed around stormwater inlets to keep debris from washing into the storm sewer system during construction.

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 12:23 PM

(07-02-2019 12:08 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(07-02-2019 10:22 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

The orange squares look like silt screen that is installed around stormwater inlets to keep debris from washing into the storm sewer system during construction.

04-cheers

RE: NEW stadium construction - cmett003 - 07-02-2019 01:50 PM

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 03:40 PM

All the old turf is now completely removed. Feels weird seeing the surface like that.

RE: NEW stadium construction - MonGNARch - 07-02-2019 03:45 PM

Here's another fundraising idea, sell squares of the old turf to the fans 03-wink

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 03:47 PM

(07-02-2019 03:45 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Here's another fundraising idea, sell squares of the old turf to the fans 03-wink

It might already be sold to some one for their backyard. Looks like its loaded on a semi for transport.

NEW stadium construction - USBARNES76 - 07-02-2019 06:30 PM

There is a market out there for used turf. Found our practice turf available for around a buck per square foot.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - 12thmonarch - 07-02-2019 06:35 PM

(07-02-2019 06:30 PM)USBARNES76 Wrote:  There is a market out there for used turf. Found our practice turf available for around a buck per square foot.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Yeah figured they might wanna make some dough out of it. Someone with cash to burn might buy it and use it for his yard, basement or even a man cave for that matter.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 07-02-2019 07:21 PM

Went by the stadium again today. The Blue boarder at the top of the stadium is completed. My wife says....aren't they going to put Old Dominion University or Monarchs on the the top ? I said ....hmmm. we think a like. I certainly hope ODU takes advantage of this visible Branding opportunity.

NEW stadium construction - Beans N Cornbread - 07-02-2019 07:40 PM

Just looked at the cameras and with no turf and the lighting it reminded me of, well.......[Image: 7ca245aa565d0f73b55f27e6e952d4ab.jpg]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk