CSNbbs
NEW stadium construction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: NEW stadium construction (/thread-836306.html)

RE: NEW stadium construction - BigBlueMonarch - 05-02-2019 03:09 PM

Could be that demand is strong and they can sell more

Sent from my SM-N920V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 05-02-2019 03:22 PM

(05-02-2019 01:52 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I am guessing the reason they are extending the deadline is because they have not sold what they expected. I am shocked that these have not been all bought up. They ran a strong marketing campaign for this opportunity to boot.

Ya, hopefully it's more demand so doing something more now. I know when I shared it on Facebook I had several people go "awesome!" and immediately went out and purchased bricks, large and small.

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU_NYG - 05-02-2019 03:23 PM

(05-02-2019 01:46 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 01:27 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 01:11 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 12:56 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Brick Campaign extended .....Hmmmm ??? You get 250 extra ODAF points for the larger brick.

.... that's equivalent to a $1660 donation....

Thats quite an incentive. When I ordered mine they only offered 100 points for them.

I think that is for the small brick. I am talking about the large granite bricks that will be used for the ODU on the walk way.

Nope. The small bricks fetched 25 ODAF bonus points. The big ones (when I bought mine, which was when they first started selling them - Dec I think) were worth 100 bonus points.

RE: NEW stadium construction - monarx - 05-02-2019 03:28 PM

I bought two. I don't have an issue offering more points and extending the deadline now, but those points shouldn't count toward the stadium seating. That deadline has passed and those who played by the rules shouldn't be penalized for doing so and putting in their orders early. That would tick off a lot of good giving fans IMO.

NEW stadium construction - Big Blue Crazy - 05-02-2019 04:35 PM

(05-02-2019 03:28 PM)monarx Wrote:  I bought two. I don't have an issue offering more points and extending the deadline now, but those points shouldn't count toward the stadium seating. That deadline has passed and those who played by the rules shouldn't be penalized for doing so and putting in their orders early. That would tick off a lot of good giving fans IMO.

I totally agree
The points need to be the same or those purchased after the deadline not count for reseating.
I bought 2 - one large granite and a regular brick.
It will really piss me off if they are going to give more points to those that procrastinated. Rewarding it!!!
ODAF will be getting a phone call from me - I would urge others to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - cmett003 - 05-02-2019 05:28 PM

RE: NEW stadium construction - Sirloin Burger - 05-02-2019 06:41 PM

I'm not sure what the rush was to build the south endzone building and parking deck. JMU, W&M and Richmond played for years without having something like this.

Just wondering why that building had to be exclusively suites. Why didn't it incorporate regular seating as well?

ODU should have spent the money on something like this. Maybe a poor mans version of this but still a better option than that gameday building. The parking deck would have had to be built somewhere else or omitted all together but there's your 30k seats right there.

[Image: bowl-view-high-2000x1294.png]

RE: NEW stadium construction - monarx - 05-02-2019 06:53 PM

We needed suites to pay for football and needed the game day building for locker rooms.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Sirloin Burger - 05-02-2019 07:06 PM

(05-02-2019 06:53 PM)monarx Wrote:  We needed suites to pay for football and needed the game day building for locker rooms.

App State, Georgia Southern, JMU, W&M and Richmond didn't have a gameday building and parking deck like this and yet were able to sustain football. They've since made inprovements but didn't have these amenities in their long histories up til recently.

The suites and locker room could have been included into the grandstands. I think seats should have been the priority. They had the waiting list back then.

RE: NEW stadium construction - GhentFan - 05-03-2019 03:55 AM

(05-01-2019 10:59 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 10:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 08:51 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 08:11 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 07:56 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I don't disagree with that. We don't want a Delaware fan base. All you do is tap alumni and you get lots of families that can go for a little while then disappear for 10 years plus while we're doing stuff for our kids on weekends. Then come back when kids are out of the house. I've got one foot in that boat right now. In about 3 years I'll have 2 kids that will override going to a football game on a Saturday.

I'm already there... travel soccer. Can usually make the night games when it isn't a tournament weekend, but afternoon games are usually a showstopper.

Yup. My kids 6 so still in coach pitch but if he ends up on a travel team for baseball in 2-3 years + my daughter will inevitably start doing something (I think Gymnastics is her calling but hard to tell at 2. =] ) then I'll be a ghost and hope I can get good seats again later in life.

This just means that ODU needs to do a better job with students and young alumni and replenishing the fan base. I do think there are quite a few young people that show interest in the program, I just don't know how many that are going to shell out hundreds of dollars per year on donations and tickets. ODU needs to find a way.

This is a thought: ODU needs to reach out to the graduating classes each year with this proposal. Graduating seniors get a %50 discount on season tickets if they purchase before graduation day. And then they get a 25% discount on season tickets for the next 2 years if they buy them each year. That's 3 years of big discounts.

I think that could be a home run.

They already have a young alumni program - 50% discount on bball tix for 3 years after graduation plus free BBR passes. No discount on Football, although you do get a tailgate pass for a very minimal donation (25$).

HOWEVER, as with most things aimed at our students - I don't know that it is always well communicated.

As I graduated in Spring '18.. I've never heard of this program. Never been contacted for donations by the University or ODAF.

I've purchased football tickets, donated equipment to the University, brought 1 Dean to my employer, and am working on a second. You'd think I'd be on SOMEBODY's list as to hey.. this guy gives a damn, let's ask for money.

RE: NEW stadium construction - VB Monarch - 05-03-2019 06:21 AM

(05-02-2019 05:28 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

North end zone really is an eye sore. Makes the whole thing look incomplete.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mo Blue Den You - 05-03-2019 06:31 AM

(05-03-2019 03:55 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 08:51 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 08:11 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I'm already there... travel soccer. Can usually make the night games when it isn't a tournament weekend, but afternoon games are usually a showstopper.

Yup. My kids 6 so still in coach pitch but if he ends up on a travel team for baseball in 2-3 years + my daughter will inevitably start doing something (I think Gymnastics is her calling but hard to tell at 2. =] ) then I'll be a ghost and hope I can get good seats again later in life.

This just means that ODU needs to do a better job with students and young alumni and replenishing the fan base. I do think there are quite a few young people that show interest in the program, I just don't know how many that are going to shell out hundreds of dollars per year on donations and tickets. ODU needs to find a way.

This is a thought: ODU needs to reach out to the graduating classes each year with this proposal. Graduating seniors get a %50 discount on season tickets if they purchase before graduation day. And then they get a 25% discount on season tickets for the next 2 years if they buy them each year. That's 3 years of big discounts.

They already have a young alumni program - 50% discount on bball tix for 3 years after graduation plus free BBR passes. No discount on Football, although you do get a tailgate pass for a very minimal donation (25$).

HOWEVER, as with most things aimed at our students - I don't know that it is always well communicated.

As I graduated in Spring '18.. I've never heard of this program. Never been contacted for donations by the University or ODAF.

I've purchased football tickets, donated equipment to the University, brought 1 Dean to my employer, and am working on a second. You'd think I'd be on SOMEBODY's list as to hey.. this guy gives a damn, let's ask for money.

Same here since I've graduated in 2011. Nothing and Im probably more passionate about our Athletics than 50% of our current student base. Pretty sad.

RE: NEW stadium construction - MonGNARch - 05-03-2019 07:20 AM

(05-03-2019 06:31 AM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  
(05-03-2019 03:55 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(05-01-2019 08:51 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  Yup. My kids 6 so still in coach pitch but if he ends up on a travel team for baseball in 2-3 years + my daughter will inevitably start doing something (I think Gymnastics is her calling but hard to tell at 2. =] ) then I'll be a ghost and hope I can get good seats again later in life.

Same here since I've graduated in 2011. Nothing and Im probably more passionate about our Athletics than 50% of our current student base. Pretty sad.

I graduated spring '15 and I'm pretty sure I've received postcards or something similar in the mail. They do all go to my parent's house though, they give them to me every time I come over

RE: NEW stadium construction - MonGNARch - 05-03-2019 07:27 AM

(05-02-2019 06:41 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  I'm not sure what the rush was to build the south endzone building and parking deck. JMU, W&M and Richmond played for years without having something like this.

Just wondering why that building had to be exclusively suites. Why didn't it incorporate regular seating as well?

ODU should have spent the money on something like this. Maybe a poor mans version of this but still a better option than that gameday building. The parking deck would have had to be built somewhere else or omitted all together but there's your 30k seats right there.

(05-02-2019 06:53 PM)monarx Wrote:  We needed suites to pay for football and needed the game day building for locker rooms.

If only original FF before the original football renovation had a true N/S orientation we may be able to pull something like this off... The gameday building was great for us when we started in regards to revenue and giving us a decent home locker room. I've seen the locker rooms under the clamshells, I think my high school had better ones.

But, the gameday building being orientated the way it is really hindered us from being able to expand in the future. If the Eastern end pivoted down to make it a true E/W there would be so much more room on the Western end of the stadium for expansion. But now that we've spend all this money on the current reno we're "permanently" locked in, barring complete closure of Bluestone and some demo to the Williamsburg lawn (or complete demo of the gameday building/garage one day. A fan can dream can't he? 04-cheers)

RE: NEW stadium construction - Monarchist13 - 05-03-2019 08:36 AM

(05-03-2019 07:27 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 06:41 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  I'm not sure what the rush was to build the south endzone building and parking deck. JMU, W&M and Richmond played for years without having something like this.

If only original FF before the original football renovation had a true N/S orientation we may be able to pull something like this off... The gameday building was great for us when we started in regards to revenue and giving us a decent home locker room. I've seen the locker rooms under the clamshells, I think my high school had better ones.

But, the gameday building being orientated the way it is really hindered us from being able to expand in the future. If the Eastern end pivoted down to make it a true E/W there would be so much more room on the Western end of the stadium for expansion. But now that we've spend all this money on the current reno we're "permanently" locked in, barring complete closure of Bluestone and some demo to the Williamsburg lawn (or complete demo of the gameday building/garage one day. A fan can dream can't he? 04-cheers)

ODU has been slowly buying up all the property on bluestone. That road will be shutdown when they need to.

RE: NEW stadium construction - paintedblue2 - 05-03-2019 09:16 AM

Today the entire superstructure of the S. B. Ballard Stadium is complete!

GOMONARCHS!!!

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU2K1 - 05-03-2019 09:30 AM

(05-02-2019 12:56 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Brick Campaign extended .....Hmmmm ??? You get 250 extra ODAF points for the larger brick.

That is completely contrary to what ODAF just told me. Here is the correct point breakdown for brick purchases:

Regular brick: 25 points
Small granite brick: 50 points
Large granite brick: 100 points

RE: NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 05-03-2019 09:57 AM

(05-03-2019 09:30 AM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  

That is completely contrary to what ODAF just told me. Here is the correct point breakdown for brick purchases:

Regular brick: 25 points
Small granite brick: 50 points
Large granite brick: 100 points

Thanks! That was what I recalled. I had ordered the small granite.

RE: NEW stadium construction - mturn017 - 05-03-2019 10:32 AM

(05-02-2019 07:06 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  

App State, Georgia Southern, JMU, W&M and Richmond didn't have a gameday building and parking deck like this and yet were able to sustain football. They've since made inprovements but didn't have these amenities in their long histories up til recently.

The suites and locker room could have been included into the grandstands. I think seats should have been the priority. They had the waiting list back then.

Suites and locker rooms could not have been built into the grand stands unless we did what we're doing now. Sure suites on the sidelines would have been preferable but we had a stadium already on campus.

RE: NEW stadium construction - mturn017 - 05-03-2019 10:33 AM

(05-03-2019 06:21 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 05:28 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

North end zone really is an eye sore. Makes the whole thing look incomplete.

It's really taking shape. I hope they are able to do something about the N end zone next offseason. It should be priority #1 on continued expansion/renovation.