CSNbbs
NEW stadium construction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: NEW stadium construction (/thread-836306.html)

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU2K1 - 04-26-2019 07:46 PM

(04-26-2019 06:53 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 06:45 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 05:11 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  The first game will likely sell out. so will ECU because ECU will buy all our unsold tickets like VT did. ECU travels well.

Here is how I figured out 6-8K seats open.
Last year we were on average about 1000 seats / game not sold or returned
2500 additional seats this year in the new stadium
I figured another approx. 10% reduction in season ticket holders - 1300
Plus an extra reduction of tickets of about 500 from people who were using current season ticket holder to get tickets and are now not going to pay the seat reservation fee. Will they return and buy tickets on their own ?
Returned tickets from away teams allotment on average 750.

Maybe 6-8K seats is a little too high. based on the above maybe 4500. That is a lot of tickets to sell in less than 3 months.
Kind of strange you aren't accounting for the novelty of a new stadium at all. Your projection might be accurate if they threw up 2500 bleachers on top of the clamshell

I am not saying the novelty of the new stadium will not help but that will help with the people that just like football not ODU Alumni who have not bought tickets in the past. Are there 4500 people in the region that will buy ODU season tickets and or single game tickets because of the new stadium ? I think it will be VERY challenging in 3-4 months. I am sure ODU wants more season ticket holders. Why are not more ODU Alumni in the area buying tickets ?

You are seriously under estimating the novelty factor of a new stadium. For example the Tides drew 180,493 in their last season at Met Park, the first season at Harbor Park they drew 580,570. The upgrade in amenities and comfort from Foreman to The Steve is going to be on par with going from the hole that was Met Park to Harbor Park. Now we’re are not going to draw 400,000 more but I will be stunned if there are more than a few hundred, if any, tickets available at any home game this season.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-26-2019 08:39 PM

(04-26-2019 07:46 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 06:53 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 06:45 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 05:11 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  The first game will likely sell out. so will ECU because ECU will buy all our unsold tickets like VT did. ECU travels well.

Here is how I figured out 6-8K seats open.
Last year we were on average about 1000 seats / game not sold or returned
2500 additional seats this year in the new stadium
I figured another approx. 10% reduction in season ticket holders - 1300
Plus an extra reduction of tickets of about 500 from people who were using current season ticket holder to get tickets and are now not going to pay the seat reservation fee. Will they return and buy tickets on their own ?
Returned tickets from away teams allotment on average 750.

Maybe 6-8K seats is a little too high. based on the above maybe 4500. That is a lot of tickets to sell in less than 3 months.
Kind of strange you aren't accounting for the novelty of a new stadium at all. Your projection might be accurate if they threw up 2500 bleachers on top of the clamshell

I am not saying the novelty of the new stadium will not help but that will help with the people that just like football not ODU Alumni who have not bought tickets in the past. Are there 4500 people in the region that will buy ODU season tickets and or single game tickets because of the new stadium ? I think it will be VERY challenging in 3-4 months. I am sure ODU wants more season ticket holders. Why are not more ODU Alumni in the area buying tickets ?

You are seriously under estimating the novelty factor of a new stadium. For example the Tides drew 180,493 in their last season at Met Park, the first season at Harbor Park they drew 580,570. The upgrade in amenities and comfort from Foreman to The Steve is going to be on par with going from the hole that was Met Park to Harbor Park. Now we’re are noting to draw 400,000 more but I will be stunned if there are more than a few hundred, if any, tickets available at any home game this season.
That would require a huge amount of new season ticket holders and I don't see that happening without a huge amount o new marketing.

RE: NEW stadium construction - cmett003 - 04-26-2019 08:51 PM

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-26-2019 09:07 PM

(04-26-2019 08:51 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

Like I said....We would have a much bigger video part than the current one and a slightly larger overall scoreboard. Daktronics took care of us.

NEW stadium construction - odu09 - 04-27-2019 09:50 AM

Good group of people there today. Pretty great to see the stadium from that vantage point, it's way more imposing and it's gonna be loud

Edit, I talked to a few other there and there seems to be a trend - each of them had groups of people and their groups all shrunk considerably this year. That's the downside to losing. So maybe Mr Big Blue is onto something with the bleak outlook of season ticket holders.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-27-2019 10:22 AM

(04-27-2019 09:50 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Good group of people there today. Pretty great to see the stadium from that vantage point, it's way more imposing and it's gonna be loud

Edit, I talked to a few other there and there seems to be a trend - each of them had groups of people and their groups all shrunk considerably this year. That's the downside to losing. So maybe Mr Big Blue is onto something with the bleak outlook of season ticket holders.

Hence why I posted what I did. I am really nervous that we likely have +4500 tickets open at the end of season ticket drive to sell. That is a large # of tickets to sell in 3-4 months.

RE: NEW stadium construction - DaBigBlue - 04-27-2019 10:33 AM

I think the biggest drop will be with the large/corporate donors that grabs a bunch of seats out of the mid-field sections. Some were buying seats for friends, others just buying and putting them in the desk drawer till someone asked for them. These big donors are not going to shell out for the fee for premium seats. They may be buying more cheaper seats for give aways or asking their friends to pony up. What I think will happen is better seats will be available later in the picking process and less seats being sold. Talked to someone in ODAF, they said ticket sales are slow so far, but believes as the stadium gets closer to competition, that will generate a good push. Our group dropped our tickets by 25% for the coming season, not because of the losing season, but because of the fees. I am getting excited about the new stadium and thanks for posting the excellent photos.

NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 04-27-2019 11:18 AM

I dropped to 6 last year just because I got tired of giving away a couple or 3 each game from family being busy with other things.

Ran up there at about 945 and looked around. It is going to def be much louder. Was impressive to see the size compared to old stadium in person. Getting excited!

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-27-2019 11:21 AM

What I am seeing here from loyal Monarch FANS makes me think that I am not too far off with my concern that we have +4500 tickets open. I went from 10 to 4/5.

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU AGGIE - 04-27-2019 11:47 AM

My wife and I were there this morning and had our picture made with OX. As for tickets, we are going from four to four. I am sure there are many more like us -- so not all is doom and gloom.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-27-2019 11:59 AM

(04-27-2019 11:47 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  My wife and I were there this morning and had our picture made with OX. As for tickets, we are going from four to four. I am sure there are many more like us -- so not all is doom and gloom.

Nothing is doom and gloom. I said concern .....Doom and gloom would be a 25 to 50% drop in season ticket holders like what happened at UVA under London.

NEW stadium construction - Beans N Cornbread - 04-27-2019 12:00 PM

We went from 8 to 4. Primary issue is seat license for the others. We had 50 yard line but one guy was doing the heavy lifting with odaf donation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU2011 - 04-27-2019 12:09 PM

(04-26-2019 09:07 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

Like I said....We would have a much bigger video part than the current one and a slightly larger overall scoreboard. Daktronics took care of us.

You also said we wouldn’t be getting a new scoreboard this year.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-27-2019 12:15 PM

(04-27-2019 12:09 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  

If you go back and look I was a huge advocate for and really pushed for the new scoreboard. I and many others were told that we would not be getting a new scoreboard. BTW....There is a reason why we are getting a new scoreboard. The existing one no longer works. It became a must ! If the old one still worked we would not be getting one. Thank goodness the old one is not working.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-27-2019 12:17 PM

(04-27-2019 12:00 PM)Beans N Cornbread Wrote:  We went from 8 to 4. Primary issue is seat license for the others. We had 50 yard line but one guy was doing the heavy lifting with odaf donation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like me...I was doing the heavy lifting and others decided not to pony up so I said bye bye !!

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU2011 - 04-27-2019 12:21 PM

(04-27-2019 12:15 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

If you go back and look I was a huge advocate for and really pushed for the new scoreboard. I and many others were told that we would not be getting a new scoreboard. BTW....There is a reason why we are getting a new scoreboard. The existing one no longer works. It became a must ! If the old one still worked we would not be getting one. Thank goodness the old one is not working.

Well thank you for the pushing! Glad we got it. Sometimes accidents can be a good thing I guess. Any idea about north end zone discussions? Is that even on the radar at this point?

NEW stadium construction - bit_9 - 04-27-2019 12:38 PM

I'm not concerned. They'll sell once the finished product starts taking shape.

RE: NEW stadium construction - Mr.BigBlue - 04-27-2019 12:44 PM

(04-27-2019 12:21 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  

Well thank you for the pushing! Glad we got it. Sometimes accidents can be a good thing I guess. Any idea about north end zone discussions? Is that even on the radar at this point?

Sorry but the North Endzone blip has faded. Too expensive and other priorities within ODAF/Athletics are demanding resources. I think the thinking is now phase 2 will be to close in the North end zone to complete the bowl is threading approach vs going to another deck on each side. That would put is in the 24-25k range on seats which is the right approach if demand warrants that addition. I think we are talking about 3 years from now.

RE: NEW stadium construction - bigblueodu - 04-27-2019 12:52 PM

Boxes on thr other side would be my vote. Let big /corporate donors pay for the endzone

Sent from my SM-G965U using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: NEW stadium construction - ODU2011 - 04-27-2019 12:54 PM

(04-27-2019 12:44 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(04-27-2019 12:21 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 09:07 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Like I said....We would have a much bigger video part than the current one and a slightly larger overall scoreboard. Daktronics took care of us.

Sorry but the North Endzone blip has faded. Too expensive and other priorities within ODAF/Athletics are demanding resources. I think the thinking is now phase 2 will be to close in the North end zone to complete the bowl is threading approach vs going to another deck on each side. That would put is in the 24-25k range on seats which is the right approach if demand warrants that addition. I think we are talking about 3 years from now.

I’d be good with this. It will look great once it’s completed.