CSNbbs
Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. (/thread-835770.html)

Pages: 1 2

Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - uakronkid - 12-02-2017 01:06 PM

Idaho will become the first team ever to move from FBC to FCS after they finish their season tonight.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - MissouriStateBears - 12-02-2017 01:13 PM

Didn't you hear Summit League is going to be a FBS league?

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - LatahCounty - 12-02-2017 01:48 PM

We should be ready to go out with a whimper with our 3rd-string QB playing behind the worst line in college football.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - TheOriginalBigApp - 12-02-2017 02:24 PM

(12-02-2017 01:13 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  Didn't you hear Summit League is going to be a FBS league?

I also heard NW Alaska A&M is considering FBS football.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - Fighting Muskie - 12-02-2017 02:27 PM

Poor Idaho. It's hard to imagine that they and Montana were once among the ranks of the Pac 10.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - LatahCounty - 12-02-2017 05:08 PM

(12-02-2017 01:48 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  We should be ready to go out with a whimper with our 3rd-string QB playing behind the worst line in college football.

Happily, I was wrong. Nice to go out with a win, at least.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - Bronco85 - 12-03-2017 07:00 PM

(12-02-2017 05:08 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  
(12-02-2017 01:48 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  We should be ready to go out with a whimper with our 3rd-string QB playing behind the worst line in college football.

Happily, I was wrong. Nice to go out with a win, at least.

It was a fun game to watch. Both defenses were excellent and the Vandals made big plays when they needed them. The Ellis brothers were a wrecking crew. The freshman QB has a nice arm and surprising mobility for a guy who could shed a few pounds. If the young o-line comes around, the Vandals will be a force in the BSC. For the sake of UI and FBS football in the west, I hope the Vandals stay in FCS is a brief one.
04-cheers

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - arkstfan - 12-04-2017 09:28 AM

Isn't this the third time for Idaho to leave the top division of the NCAA in football?

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - Shox - 12-04-2017 09:57 AM

A school as good as Idaho deserved a better fate but probably should serve as a lesson for all schools wanting to move up. If you don't have or have a plan for solid Division I facilities, then don't move to FBS. It looks like Idaho is correcting that now and is finally building a legit college basketball venue. Hopefully they get their Ducks in a row with their football stadium and the Big North/Great North concept comes to fruition. Basketball conference tournament rotates between Sioux Falls and Denver. As for NMSU, the travel might be more but doubtful considering they play football in the Sun Belt and basketball in the car found WAC. Plus, since they are bringing their basketball program, they have a solid argument and bargaining chip to to not pay travel subsidies like they offered the Sun Belt.

EAST

UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU
*Omaha

WEST

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
NMSU
*Denver

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - dbackjon - 12-04-2017 11:24 AM

Welcome back to the Big Sky!

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - Bronco85 - 12-04-2017 01:35 PM

(12-04-2017 09:28 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Isn't this the third time for Idaho to leave the top division of the NCAA in football?

It will be the Vandals 4th time playing in a lower division and third time they have dropped down. In the first year of the NCAA (1937) UI was in the Small College Division (D2). They moved up in 1938 and played in the University Division (D1) until they dropped down to D2 for the 1967 and 1968 seasons. Idaho moved back up in 1969 and played in D1 until they dropped down (and the rest of the Big Sky jumped up) to 1AA (FCS) in 1978. UI played in that division until 1997 when they rejoined (D1, FBS) and played there through this season. They drop to FCS (1AA) next season. An optimist might view UI as having moved up to the highest division 3 times. They have played most of their existence at the highest division.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - SC-KNIGHT - 12-05-2017 08:03 PM

To bad for Idaho. Got the shaft from their Chancellor and the Sunbelt. 04-jawdrop 04-bolt

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - arkstfan - 12-06-2017 10:23 AM

(12-05-2017 08:03 PM)SC-KNIGHT Wrote:  To bad for Idaho. Got the shaft from their Chancellor and the Sunbelt. 04-jawdrop 04-bolt

Sun Belt gave them a four year contract and honored the terms.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - SC-KNIGHT - 12-06-2017 06:36 PM

(12-06-2017 10:23 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 08:03 PM)SC-KNIGHT Wrote:  To bad for Idaho. Got the shaft from their Chancellor and the Sunbelt. 04-jawdrop 04-bolt

Yes but in the end the Sunbelt booted them by not re-upping the contract or not letting them in as a FB only conference member with NM ST. Its the Sunbelt's business and the conference doesn't make much money so I can see the business of not redoing the contracts or extending full time FB membership to Idaho or NM ST. The small TV revenue pie slices are larger with 10 instead of 12. Also with the last realignment the Sunbelt has become more of an eastern conference with a lot of the old Texas schools moving on to CUSA. Travel expenses to Idaho and NM ST are higher for the eastern schools with out divisions so why not eliminate them and grow the small pie slices even more. Still in the end Idaho and NM ST got the shaft when booted from the conference. 04-jawdrop

Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - arkstfan - 12-06-2017 11:35 PM

(12-06-2017 06:36 PM)SC-KNIGHT Wrote:  

Yes but in the end the Sunbelt booted them by not re-upping the contract or not letting them in as a FB only conference member with NM ST. Its the Sunbelt's business and the conference doesn't make much money so I can see the business of not redoing the contracts or extending full time FB membership to Idaho or NM ST. The small TV revenue pie slices are larger with 10 instead of 12. Also with the last realignment the Sunbelt has become more of an eastern conference with a lot of the old Texas schools moving on to CUSA. Travel expenses to Idaho and NM ST are higher for the eastern schools with out divisions so why not eliminate them and grow the small pie slices even more. Still in the end Idaho and NM ST got the shaft when booted from the conference. 04-jawdrop

Well it isn’t like the Sun Belt forced them to accept the WAC invites in 2004 when they were in the Sun Belt. If NMSU had said no ULM would probably still be football only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - SC-KNIGHT - 12-07-2017 02:57 PM

(12-06-2017 11:35 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Well it isn’t like the Sun Belt forced them to accept the WAC invites in 2004 when they were in the Sun Belt. If NMSU had said no ULM would probably still be football only.

I agree with that. Both of those schools shot themselves in the foot moving to the WAC now that things have panned out so bad for them. If they had remained in the Sunbelt they wouldn't be on the outside looking in and could have influenced the addition of more western teams for divisional play closer to them. I could see Idaho trying to get closer to home with Rocky Mountain schools but NM ST should have stayed put. Anyway what is done is done and neither really tried to improve their facilities until to late anyway. Perhaps the Sunbelt will add another western school one day and give some consideration to Independent / WAC - NM ST again in the future while getting back to 12 football schools again. Idaho already flinched and went back to FCS under their current leadership and maybe that's where they really belong as that is where they have had most of their success in the past. 07-coffee3

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - arkstfan - 12-08-2017 01:10 AM

(12-07-2017 02:57 PM)SC-KNIGHT Wrote:  

I agree with that. Both of those schools shot themselves in the foot moving to the WAC now that things have panned out so bad for them. If they had remained in the Sunbelt they wouldn't be on the outside looking in and could have influenced the addition of more western teams for divisional play closer to them. I could see Idaho trying to get closer to home with Rocky Mountain schools but NM ST should have stayed put. Anyway what is done is done and neither really tried to improve their facilities until to late anyway. Perhaps the Sunbelt will add another western school one day and give some consideration to Independent / WAC - NM ST again in the future while getting back to 12 football schools again. Idaho already flinched and went back to FCS under their current leadership and maybe that's where they really belong as that is where they have had most of their success in the past. 07-coffee3

If there is ever an eastern school knocking on the door that the eastern schools really want, there will be a strong push to make NMSU the western balance addition.
I was told NMSU received a yes from a majority of the Sun Belt but fell short of the 3/4ths vote when considered as a full member.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - Kittonhead - 12-08-2017 01:26 AM

(12-08-2017 01:10 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 10:23 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Sun Belt gave them a four year contract and honored the terms.

If there is ever an eastern school knocking on the door that the eastern schools really want, there will be a strong push to make NMSU the western balance addition.
I was told NMSU received a yes from a majority of the Sun Belt but fell short of the 3/4ths vote when considered as a full member.

Big realignment by the AAC ends up a trickle down to the SBC.

B12 (BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, UConn)
AAC (ODU)
CUSA (App St)
SBC (NMSU)

What could be 3 losses by the AAC result in only 1 SBC taken, much less attrition than in the past. That attrition would get NMSU added with South Alabama going East for football.

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - SC-KNIGHT - 12-08-2017 10:13 AM

(12-08-2017 01:26 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 01:10 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 06:36 PM)SC-KNIGHT Wrote:  Yes but in the end the Sunbelt booted them by not re-upping the contract or not letting them in as a FB only conference member with NM ST. Its the Sunbelt's business and the conference doesn't make much money so I can see the business of not redoing the contracts or extending full time FB membership to Idaho or NM ST. The small TV revenue pie slices are larger with 10 instead of 12. Also with the last realignment the Sunbelt has become more of an eastern conference with a lot of the old Texas schools moving on to CUSA. Travel expenses to Idaho and NM ST are higher for the eastern schools with out divisions so why not eliminate them and grow the small pie slices even more. Still in the end Idaho and NM ST got the shaft when booted from the conference. 04-jawdrop

Big realignment by the AAC ends up a trickle down to the SBC.

B12 (BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, UConn)
AAC (ODU)
CUSA (App St)
SBC (NMSU)

What could be 3 losses by the AAC result in only 1 SBC taken, much less attrition than in the past. That attrition would get NMSU added with South Alabama going East for football.

Could see NM ST getting added if the Sunbelt gets a one school picked in the next realignment and the conference wants to remain at ten. 07-coffee3

RE: Today is Idaho's last game in the FBS. - templefootballfan - 12-13-2017 01:12 AM

you would think a CCG would pay to keep them
A trip to Idaho would be nice for players to check out the mountains
keep NMST close to pick up there BB program

with Tex St & NMST, could the sell a tv package to LHN