CSNbbs
Who Would FSU Hire? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Who Would FSU Hire? (/thread-835265.html)

Pages: 1 2

Who Would FSU Hire? - USAFMEDIC - 11-28-2017 04:27 PM

If Fisher bolts for A&M, who will the Seminoles hire? I would like to see Mark Richt come back as the new HC, but that ship has probably sailed. If Fisher had intentions on leaving, I wish he would have left before now... like five minutes after Georgia fired Richt.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - Gamecock - 11-28-2017 04:30 PM

Lane Kiffin is available

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - JRsec - 11-28-2017 04:32 PM

(11-28-2017 04:30 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Lane Kiffin is available

So is Kevin Sumlin!05-stirthepot

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - Gamecock - 11-28-2017 04:34 PM

(11-28-2017 04:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You could do a lot worse than Kevin Sumlin.

I can't remember ever seeing a "coach swap" before, but this could work.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - dbackjon - 11-28-2017 04:37 PM

I hear Greg Schiano is looking to get back into Head Coaching.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - hawghiggs - 11-28-2017 04:54 PM

Jeremy Pruitt.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - EvilVodka - 11-28-2017 05:01 PM

Matt Canada or Brent Venables

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - USAFMEDIC - 11-28-2017 05:02 PM

(11-28-2017 04:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I would take him in a minute.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - ColKurtz - 11-28-2017 05:10 PM

(11-28-2017 04:37 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  I hear Greg Schiano is looking to get back into Head Coaching.

I don't see Jimbo leaving for a smaller contract, to compete in the SEC West, with weaker recruiting, only to have them call for his head after 3 years of not beating Bama or going to the CFP. If anything sways him, it will be his kid's health issues.

Having said that, I think they would make a hard push for Venables. Kind of incestuous to take a conference and division rival's coach, but there's really no really hot names out there this year (though maybe more options would be on the table than now for a hot gig like FSU). If they couldn't get Venables, I could see them naming one of the coordinators. If the coordinator gets hot next year, maybe that leads to a contract. Otherwise FSU sees what the landscape is next year and goes after someone big.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - bronconick - 11-28-2017 05:10 PM

Taggert would probably get a call.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - Phlipper33 - 11-28-2017 05:19 PM

After the Jason Witten rumor yesterday, are there any FSU guys that could retire from the NFL to take the position?

Anquan Boldin recently retired. Maybe they could get Sebastian Janikowski?

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - NewTimes - 11-29-2017 12:58 PM

(11-28-2017 04:27 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  If Fisher bolts for A&M, who will the Seminoles hire? I would like to see Mark Richt come back as the new HC, but that ship has probably sailed. If Fisher had intentions on leaving, I wish he would have left before now... like five minutes after Georgia fired Richt.
Most programs in the country would love to steal Richt. Having just won the ACC coach of the year and bringing the Canes back to predominance, literally zero chance he leaves Miami. He was a loaner to the FSU and GA. He's a Miami guy all the way and at his prime age, he's positioned as best as he could be. If he was younger and wanted to climb up the coaching carousel ranks, he would be the prime coaching candidate available. He has the ability to bring a 6th national championship to Miami. And with all the blitz and bling of Miami, and with the true and band wagon fans, Richt has cemented his position at Miami, and anywhere else he would want to go.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - Kaplony - 11-29-2017 01:20 PM

(11-28-2017 05:10 PM)bronconick Wrote:  Taggert would probably get a call.

That would be my choice.

Like I posted in the thread on the ACC Board.....what's Fisher going to do if FSU calls Sexton's bluff and says "You should probably take the offer A&M gave you."?

I mean, if I were in a power position at FSU I would get tired of having deal with Sexton's crap each and every year just trying to make himself some more money. Jimbo's a good coach, but his post Winston record isn't all that sterling and seems to be regressing. One also has to ask why seven years into a program you have the QB depth problems he had this year when your division rival has a QB depth chart full of four stars, a four star redshirting, and a five star enrolling in January.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - Wedge - 11-29-2017 01:33 PM

(11-29-2017 01:20 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I mean, if I were in a power position at FSU I would get tired of having deal with Sexton's crap each and every year just trying to make himself some more money.

Sexton is also the agent for Willie Taggart. And I'm guessing he's the agent for most of the other guys FSU would consider to replace Fisher.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - TerryD - 11-29-2017 01:58 PM

Time for me to trot out my:

"Ty Willingham is well rested and available".

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - wavefan12 - 11-29-2017 02:27 PM

I could see Frost delaying a Nebraska contract to see what happens at FSU (much much better job). A Nebraska booster told me he has a little bit of animosity towards Nebraska despite being a cherished alum.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - bronconick - 11-29-2017 02:44 PM

(11-29-2017 01:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 01:20 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I mean, if I were in a power position at FSU I would get tired of having deal with Sexton's crap each and every year just trying to make himself some more money.

Sexton is also the agent for Willie Taggart. And I'm guessing he's the agent for most of the other guys FSU would consider to replace Fisher.

The difference right now Fisher has been talking at press conferences later in the season like Clemson's, Georgia's, and Alabama's, football facilities is why FSU can't compete this season, as if they caused losing to Miami, Louisville, NC State and getting curbstomped by Boston College. So when the annual "Fisher to "X" started, the patience the boosters and even the President is wearing thin.

Quote: “This structure has been in place since the Boosters were founded,” Thrasher said. “It has served us well, and I don't see any issues that reasonable adults could not work through.

"How many football coaches have we had in the last 40 years?”

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - quo vadis - 11-29-2017 06:07 PM

(11-28-2017 05:10 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  
(11-28-2017 04:37 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  I hear Greg Schiano is looking to get back into Head Coaching.

I don't see Jimbo leaving for a smaller contract, to compete in the SEC West, with weaker recruiting, only to have them call for his head after 3 years of not beating Bama or going to the CFP. If anything sways him, it will be his kid's health issues.

What makes you think that A/M, which can buy and sell FSU about 10 times over and is awash in SEC money, would offer Jimbo less money than FSU?

Jimbo has definitely allowed other SEC schools to pursue him in order to leverage more money out of FSU, without ever being serious about leaving. His thinking was "why leave FSU, where things are perfect, to compete against the Saban meat-grinder"?

But the last two years have made one thing clear: In Dabo Swinney and Clemson, the ACC now has its own meat-grinder. Clemson has definitely de-throned FSU as the undisputed King of the ACC, something they've been the entire 25 years of membership, even during the relatively lean last few years of the Bowden era.

And now with Miami coming on strong? Jimbo might be figuring that now's the time to git while the gittin's still good.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - USAFMEDIC - 11-29-2017 06:37 PM

Fisher inherited a bad team from Bowden and turned FSU into National Champs. Okay, he's had a bad year. He is not having to beg to keep his job like some other schools I can think of.

RE: Who Would FSU Hire? - ColKurtz - 11-29-2017 09:56 PM

(11-29-2017 06:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-28-2017 05:10 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  

What makes you think that A/M, which can buy and sell FSU about 10 times over and is awash in SEC money, would offer Jimbo less money than FSU?

Jimbo has definitely allowed other SEC schools to pursue him in order to leverage more money out of FSU, without ever being serious about leaving. His thinking was "why leave FSU, where things are perfect, to compete against the Saban meat-grinder"?

But the last two years have made one thing clear: In Dabo Swinney and Clemson, the ACC now has its own meat-grinder. Clemson has definitely de-throned FSU as the undisputed King of the ACC, something they've been the entire 25 years of membership, even during the relatively lean last few years of the Bowden era.

And now with Miami coming on strong? Jimbo might be figuring that now's the time to git while the gittin's still good.

The rumored contract is $7.5M per year for 5 years. That's less than his current contract at FSU ($40+M over 8 years). It's fully guaranteed, so he's unfire-able for at least 6 years, maybe 7.

If the A&M contract was fully guaranteed, that's a wash -- he'll get almost the same money over 3 less years. But it's still a downgrade of a job. The ACC offers a much easier path the championship and FSU has better recruiting to get there.