CSNbbs
FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: FN Bowl Watch Discussion (/thread-834827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - demiveeman - 11-26-2017 08:28 PM

(11-26-2017 08:11 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  It's ~$2500 without much travel research for 4 nights & fly home Xmas Eve. And I'm sure that can be pared down and or shortened. I'd have spent $1000 on a room in New Orleans then food, drink, gas, parking & game tickets on top of that. . So the delta (for me) between the two is only roughly $800-1000.

I understand this choice eliminated driving down and get a $69 hotel in Slidell the night before the game; or going on the inexpensive route.

$1000 for a room in New Orleans? Where were you planning to stay? lol

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - the_blazerman - 11-26-2017 08:38 PM

I'd have found a $29.95 room.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerPhil - 11-26-2017 08:38 PM

(11-26-2017 08:28 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 08:11 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  It's ~$2500 without much travel research for 4 nights & fly home Xmas Eve. And I'm sure that can be pared down and or shortened. I'd have spent $1000 on a room in New Orleans then food, drink, gas, parking & game tickets on top of that. . So the delta (for me) between the two is only roughly $800-1000.

I understand this choice eliminated driving down and get a $69 hotel in Slidell the night before the game; or going on the inexpensive route.

$1000 for a room in New Orleans? Where were you planning to stay? lol

A nicer Hotel or rental apartment. 4 nights @$225 + tax.

We're down there 4-5 times a year.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - FNblazer - 11-26-2017 09:05 PM

I am ever the skeptic but don’t think there’s any meddling by the adshitistration here. Coach wants to reward the “family” for all they’ve been through. This is the best destination for them. Will help with recruiting and build for next year—plus it’s later in the bowl cycle so we can use all 15 practices.

The only way this is not good for the program is if Clark were to pull a Larry Fedora and bolt after securing an out-of-the-way bowl. Ray will be sitting in the penthouse at Atlantis fapping endlessly, hoping to will that into existence.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerPhil - 11-26-2017 09:23 PM

(11-26-2017 09:05 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  I am ever the skeptic but don’t think there’s any meddling by the adshitistration here. Coach wants to reward the “family” for all they’ve been through. This is the best destination for them. Will help with recruiting and build for next year—plus it’s later in the bowl cycle so we can use all 15 practices.

The only way this is not good for the program is if Clark were to pull a Larry Fedora and bolt after securing an out-of-the-way bowl. Ray will be sitting in the penthouse at Atlantis fapping endlessly, hoping to will that into existence.

I agree.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - the_blazerman - 11-26-2017 09:25 PM

Maybe part of it as well is he wants to especially reward the 14 seniors for their efforts.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - mixduptransistor - 11-26-2017 09:27 PM

I don't think you guys would have been happy if they were anywhere except the Birmingham Bowl

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - scales - 11-26-2017 09:43 PM

(11-26-2017 09:27 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I don't think you guys would have been happy if they were anywhere except the Birmingham Bowl

Agree with this statement. The negativity gets exhausting.

We can't change the Ray thing, we got football back, and we are bowling in year one.

So instead of having 500-1000 fans drive to some other bowl in an empty stadium, we ALL get to watch on TV wherever you happen to dwell.

If you can't afford it, then it sounds like a personal problem.

Be Thankful, I certainly am.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - LairDweller - 11-26-2017 09:49 PM

(11-26-2017 09:43 PM)scales Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 09:27 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I don't think you guys would have been happy if they were anywhere except the Birmingham Bowl

We can't change the Ray thing, we got football back, and we are bowling in year one.

So instead of having 500-1000 fans drive to some other bowl in an empty stadium, we ALL get to watch on TV wherever you happen to dwell.

+1.
I'm overwhelmed by the negativity about this game (not all of it from Blazertalk...more of it from social media)

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerMatt - 11-26-2017 10:21 PM

For those worried about the cost of going to the bowl game... I understand, I really do, but I hope everyone realizes that being a blazer fan is only going to get more expensive. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if season tickets cost a good bit more next year. If/when we get a new stadium it will be more expensive still.

The powers that be are never going to go “alright blazer fans, you’ve paid enough. “ we will be expected to pay more year over year as long as football is trending upwards.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Smaug - 11-26-2017 10:21 PM

Or the lower 48.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - blazerfrombirth - 11-26-2017 10:32 PM

(11-26-2017 10:21 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  For those worried about the cost of going to the bowl game... I understand, I really do, but I hope everyone realizes that being a blazer fan is only going to get more expensive. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if season tickets cost a good bit more next year. If/when we get a new stadium it will be more expensive still.

The powers that be are never going to go “alright blazer fans, you’ve paid enough. “ we will be expected to pay more year over year as long as football is trending upwards.

I figure season ticket prices will go up next year, but I sure hope it's not a significant increase in price. I think that would be a very unwise move.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Memphis Blazer - 11-26-2017 10:32 PM

(11-26-2017 09:43 PM)scales Wrote:  

Good post

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - scales - 11-26-2017 10:34 PM

(11-26-2017 10:21 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  For those worried about the cost of going to the bowl game... I understand, I really do, but I hope everyone realizes that being a blazer fan is only going to get more expensive. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if season tickets cost a good bit more next year. If/when we get a new stadium it will be more expensive still.

I just had an Auburn friend get 4 tickets for the SEC Championship. $3400.00....and he lives in Atlanta. No travel expenses included.

Big boy football requires big boy money.

I hope to be a big boy football fan one day!

BTW...we are all arguing over rumors at this point. When I see the UAB press release, you can jump off Vulcan's viewing platform then.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - LairDweller - 11-26-2017 10:38 PM

(11-26-2017 10:34 PM)scales Wrote:  

I just had an Auburn friend get 4 tickets for the SEC Championship. $3400.00....and he lives in Atlanta. No travel expenses included.

BTW...we are all arguing over rumors at this point. When I see the UAB press release, you can jump off Vulcan's viewing platform then.
you do realize that UAB announced at a basketball game (via a video from ESPN's Marty Smith) that we had accepted an invite to the bowl game, right?

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Smaug - 11-26-2017 10:39 PM

It was announced on the jumbotron at the men's basketball game this afternoon with Clark standing under it.

I doubt you're going to get more official than that.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - mixduptransistor - 11-26-2017 10:46 PM

(11-26-2017 10:21 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Or the lower 48.

No, it would have gotten complaints if it was anywhere. I mean, I would have been complaining if it was in Birmingham. Everyone here just wants to complain. Their concerns are the only concerns. There will be plenty of opportunities for getting invited to an embarrassing bowl game in a 5th tier southeastern city before the heat death of the universe

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - scales - 11-26-2017 10:50 PM

(11-26-2017 10:39 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

It was announced on the jumbotron at the men's basketball game this afternoon with Clark standing under it.

I doubt you're going to get more official than that.

If so, I stand corrected on the "fake news" statement.

I financially can't afford to attend every home basketball game :)

Original point still applies.

I had to de-Twitter myself for the day because of the negativity.

God forbid that I make a grammatical error in either post.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Smaug - 11-26-2017 10:51 PM

(11-26-2017 10:46 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 10:21 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Or the lower 48.

No, it would have gotten complaints if it was anywhere. I mean, I would have been complaining if it was in Birmingham. Everyone here just wants to complain. Their concerns are the only concerns. There will be plenty of opportunities for getting invited to an embarrassing bowl game in a 5th tier southeastern city before the heat death of the universe

I'm not really complaining. I'm just disappointed. I looked at the options, and listed them by the likelihood that I could go. I realize that's selfish of me. I realize it's my problem. I do not begrudge the team. Lord knows they deserve it.

That said, we've gotten exactly 2 bowl invites in the history of the program. Both on an island. I think, after all we've been through, UAB fans are entitled to a rueful chuckle over it.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - FTDS66 - 11-26-2017 10:56 PM

lol we may have the softest fan base (message board base) in the nation. Disappointment understood. Perception of slight is one of the cuckiest things this board has produced in quite some time.