CSNbbs
FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: FN Bowl Watch Discussion (/thread-834827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - LairDweller - 11-26-2017 04:26 PM

they just announced the Bahamas Bowl at the basketball game...i guess that makes it pretty official

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - ATTALLABLAZE - 11-26-2017 04:27 PM

Hell yea!!

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - UAB Band Dad - 11-26-2017 04:32 PM

Yup. Get your Bermuda shorts ready.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - blazerfrombirth - 11-26-2017 04:59 PM

I'm majorly bummed. But I guess I'm also happy to be sitting here feeling bummed about UAB's bowl game location. Go Blazers.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - dfarr - 11-26-2017 06:15 PM

Great. 200 fans will go. The rest of us get to watch it from home.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerPhil - 11-26-2017 07:11 PM

I'm glad coach Clark & Co. picked the best reward for the team they could. And I'm tickled I'll get to watch them in a bowl game this season.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - the_blazerman - 11-26-2017 07:13 PM

Less stress for me figuring out how to get to a bowl game. Can sit back & watch it instead.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - ICB - 11-26-2017 07:20 PM

Some things I learned this year:
1. Facilities are for the fans
2. Bowls are not for the fans.
3. Playing in the Bahamas helps recruiting (which leads one to believe you are making suggestions that future bowls will also be in hard to reach (for fans) places.
4. Criticizing the decision to play in the Bahamas or anything Clark does makes you not a part of the "team."

...One day we will play a bowl game where fans can get to. Until then Go Blazers!

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerPhil - 11-26-2017 07:24 PM

Who says the NOLA bowl didn't back off of us before we did them ? The NOLA bowl has been courting USM for quite a while.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - ICB - 11-26-2017 07:26 PM

(11-26-2017 07:24 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  Who says the NOLA bowl didn't back off of us before we did them ? The NOLA bowl has been courting USM for quite a while.

That's not the story I've been given. And its okay. People make decision, and others have the freedom to disagree with it. btw... the NO bowl was not the only bowl with interest.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerPhil - 11-26-2017 07:28 PM

(11-26-2017 07:26 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 07:24 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  Who says the NOLA bowl didn't back off of us before we did them ? The NOLA bowl has been courting USM for quite a while.

That's not the story I've been given. And its okay. People make decision, and others have the freedom to disagree with it. btw... the NO bowl was not the only bowl with interest.

Well spill the beans, what's the story and other bowls ?

I haven't heard a good conspiracy theory about UaB in a few weeks.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 11-26-2017 07:37 PM

Time for those with the financial resources to check out deals with cruise ships heading to the Bahamas near game time. Carnival or one of the others may be trying to put together a package of cruise and bowl game.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - 58-56 - 11-26-2017 07:40 PM

(11-26-2017 07:20 PM)ICB Wrote:  Some things I learned this year:
1. Facilities are for the fans
2. Bowls are not for the fans.
3. Playing in the Bahamas helps recruiting (which leads one to believe you are making suggestions that future bowls will also be in hard to reach (for fans) places.
4. Criticizing the decision to play in the Bahamas or anything Clark does makes you not a part of the "team."

...One day we will play a bowl game where fans can get to. Until then Go Blazers!

Don't forget how privileged we were to give money we didn't really have to give, because it's just entertainment. On the other hand, it was a definite privilege to see you stare down Ray Watts in front of the NAS, so there's that.

We knew going in that we would never be appreciated for what we did. I preached that message from the start. And choosing a location - assuming UAB had much choice in the matter, which I do not know - that gives Ray a free tropical holiday and gives us the middle finger and gives the band nerds both of them plus the full pumpkin moon, that's perfectly in keeping with how all of this has played out.

I would have liked to go, but I'm all grown up and I'll get over it. It's a different story for the band, majorettes, Blazerettes, cheerleaders and Golden Girls.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - ICB - 11-26-2017 07:42 PM

(11-26-2017 07:28 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

Well spill the beans, what's the story and other bowls?

No big secret... I don't think... After the announcement, I was disappointed and I made a call to figure out why we would go to a bowl that basically left all fans out of the end of season climax. I was told that this was Coach Clark's preference. Pre-sales for the Bahamas was nowhere near other bowls. But no presales were through the roof. Conflict with graduation also was discussed. Was told UAB could have gone to another bowl if it wanted to but a joint decision with the powers that be decided that this was the bowl. And the decision wasn't just made. Was told Ingram basically gave it away in an interview he did a week ago.

That's it. I'm not mad about the decision, just disappointed and feel like fans deserve the bowl experience just like the players.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - LairDweller - 11-26-2017 07:49 PM

(11-26-2017 07:28 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  

Well spill the beans, what's the story and other bowls ?

I haven't heard a good conspiracy theory about UaB in a few weeks.

You obviously haven’t heard the one about the BOT forcing us to the Bahamas so no fans can go

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - Memphis Blazer - 11-26-2017 07:57 PM

Geez, there is almost as much crying over this as there was when they disbanded football.

The bowl game is a reward for the team. That's all it is.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - ICB - 11-26-2017 08:04 PM

obviously.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerPhil - 11-26-2017 08:11 PM

It's ~$2500 without much travel research for 4 nights & fly home Xmas Eve. And I'm sure that can be pared down and or shortened. I'd have spent $1000 on a room in New Orleans then food, drink, gas, parking & game tickets on top of that. . So the delta (for me) between the two is only roughly $800-1000.

I understand this choice eliminated driving down and get a $69 hotel in Slidell the night before the game; or going on the inexpensive route.

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 11-26-2017 08:13 PM

There is much to be thankful for this season.
#1 A winning season
#2 A bowl eligible record
#3 A nice bowl against a decent opponent
#4 Regardless of the game score, UAB is a winner this year.(Remember that regardless of team qualities, half will win their game and half will lose)
#5 Many teams would swap with UAB without a thought. (No bowl at all or one in a less attractive location)

RE: FN Bowl Watch Discussion - BlazerGreen - 11-26-2017 08:16 PM

(11-26-2017 07:57 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Geez, there is almost as much crying over this as there was when they disbanded football.

The bowl game is a reward for the team. That's all it is.

I think in this particular case, considering the whole saga, you're probably right. But in the larger college football world I don't think that's true. For most schools bowls trips are to keep your alumni happy and connected to your program. I think it would be pretty rare for players to pick a bowl destination.

Supposedly we had the 3rd pick of the CUSA bowl teams. Be interesting to know where the Bahamas Bowl usually is in the CUSA bowl pecking order.