CSNbbs
Mountain West Men’s Soccer - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Mountain West Men’s Soccer (/thread-834158.html)

Mountain West Men’s Soccer - chargeradio - 11-19-2017 08:11 PM

So I guess New Mexico leaves C-USA; San Diego State leaves the Pac 12; Air Force, San Jose State, and UNLV leave the WAC; and then this independent school from Alaska joins as the sixth:

http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec2/sponsorship?sortOrder=4&division=1&sport=MSO

Anyone know anything about this school?

02-13-banana

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - dbackjon - 11-19-2017 08:20 PM

That's the new campus in Nome. Going FBS next year.

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - DavidSt - 11-19-2017 10:40 PM

The alaska school that is under the test pilot is Alaska Pacific. It seems that they are trying to restart their athletics. Most of their sports are either club or Rec.

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - MWC Tex - 11-19-2017 11:41 PM

(11-19-2017 10:40 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  The alaska school that is under the test pilot is Alaska Pacific. It seems that they are trying to restart their athletics. Most of their sports are either club or Rec.

If that is the case, then they could aim for the WCC as they a Methodist affiliated school.

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - BePcr07 - 11-19-2017 11:51 PM

I'd love for men's soccer in the MWC to be a thing. However, for only 5 schools in 4 states (California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico) and a 6th in Alaska, it can't be worth it lol

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - AZcats - 11-20-2017 02:26 AM

Before David gets all excited and comes out with another fantasy list, that entry has been there for 2 or 3 years. There's no reason for this as far as I can find; it just appeared on the page. The same entry seen on D1 men's soccer is on several other D1 pages. On all but about 4 of the D2 pages this is shown:

2 - DII CA Test Centennial Conference II IN Unassigned

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - dbackjon - 11-20-2017 08:42 AM

Come on guys we can't be that dense, right?

It's just a placeholder It's on most of the list of NCAA sports sponsorship pages. Means only that the NCAA programmer doesn't know how to hide test data.

And no, 700 student Alaska Pacific, is not going DI or bringing back athletics

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - MWC Tex - 11-20-2017 11:22 AM

(11-19-2017 11:51 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I'd love for men's soccer in the MWC to be a thing. However, for only 5 schools in 4 states (California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico) and a 6th in Alaska, it can't be worth it lol

I wonder if the MW would want to sponsor it if there was enough teams. And with SDSU in the PAC-12...how are you going to pull them out of that league?

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - tcufrog86 - 11-20-2017 12:54 PM

(11-20-2017 11:22 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(11-19-2017 11:51 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I'd love for men's soccer in the MWC to be a thing. However, for only 5 schools in 4 states (California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico) and a 6th in Alaska, it can't be worth it lol

I wonder if the MW would want to sponsor it if there was enough teams. And with SDSU in the PAC-12...how are you going to pull them out of that league?

Probably depends on how SDSUs agreement with the MWC is written from a overall membership perspective.

I would think that agreements for "full" conference membership don't allow you to compete as an affiliate in another league for a sport that the league sponsors. So it would probably come down to how that clause is written to account for "added sports" (i.e. those not sponsored by the MWC at time of the initial agreement).

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - BePcr07 - 11-20-2017 01:20 PM

(11-20-2017 12:54 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 11:22 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Probably depends on how SDSUs agreement with the MWC is written from a overall membership perspective.

I would think that agreements for "full" conference membership don't allow you to compete as an affiliate in another league for a sport that the league sponsors. So it would probably come down to how that clause is written to account for "added sports" (i.e. those not sponsored by the MWC at time of the initial agreement).

Schools in the West (counting Texas/Oklahoma) and/or Western-based conferences (along with November 12th RPI):

AAC - untouchable
Big West - untouchable
CUSA - New Mexico #84
PAC - Stanford #11, California #33, Washington #37, UCLA #51, Oregon St #95, San Diego St #147
Summit - untouchable
WCC - untouchable
WAC - Air Force #27, Seattle #50, San Jose St #70, UNLV #78, Grand Canyon #146, Utah Valley #151, CSU Bakersfield #156, UTRGV #160, Houston Baptist #170, UMKC #180, Incarnate Word #188

Perhaps this split -

PAC: Washington, Oregon St, California, Stanford, UCLA, San Diego St, San Jose St, New Mexico, Air Force, UNLV

WAC: Seattle, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, CSU Bakersfield, UTRGV, Houston Baptist, UMKC, Incarnate Word

The Mountain West and PAC both contribute 5 schools but the PAC branding would mean more.

RE: Mountain West Men’s Soccer - GiveEmTheAxe - 11-22-2017 12:08 AM

I like that combined Pac+MWC men's soccer league. I wonder if the Pac-12 Networks would show games involving two affiliate members.