CSNbbs
Column from Geoff Calkins - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Column from Geoff Calkins (/thread-833082.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Column from Geoff Calkins - Tgrrfan - 11-10-2017 10:00 PM

Tigers vs. Alabama - CA

Quote:
The biggest problem? Memphis can’t shoot. "We just couldn’t make shots," said head coach Tubby Smith. "We had a lot of trouble getting the ball in the basket."

O.K. all you Pastner bashers, let Tubby have it. This is the same "excuse" Pastner used.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - tigersroll - 11-10-2017 10:03 PM

Same problem with Pastner in that it is a lazy excuse.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - 450bench - 11-10-2017 10:03 PM

(11-10-2017 10:00 PM)Tgrrfan Wrote:  Tigers vs. Alabama - CA

Quote:
The biggest problem? Memphis can’t shoot. "We just couldn’t make shots," said head coach Tubby Smith. "We had a lot of trouble getting the ball in the basket."

O.K. all you Pastner bashers, let Tubby have it. This is the same "excuse" Pastner used.

You're right. And I was one of those. I'm a broken record tonight, but to not attack the basket in light of all the foul issues was simply shocking.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - 450bench - 11-10-2017 10:04 PM

(11-10-2017 10:03 PM)tigersroll Wrote:  Same problem with Pastner in that it is a lazy excuse.

Yep. It is.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - Sundanceuiuc - 11-10-2017 10:06 PM

Actually, under Pastner we created good shots, and made plenty. Those teams were fine offensively, they were deficient on the boards and defense.

This team struggles to create good looks, but is better with aggression and being physical.

Same story.

- Pastner's teams were good at shot creation / passing, not great on D / boards.
- Tubby's teams are good on physical / effort, struggle to create good looks.

I didn't see or learn anything tonight to make me think otherwise...

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - Dylan - 11-10-2017 10:16 PM

(11-10-2017 10:03 PM)450bench Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 10:00 PM)Tgrrfan Wrote:  Tigers vs. Alabama - CA

Quote:

You're right. And I was one of those. I'm a broken record tonight, but to not attack the basket in light of all the foul issues was simply shocking.

Pastner’s teams couldn’t overcome any team with close or better talent. This team can’t overcome its lack of talent.

The only equalizer is shooting. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we have that.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - cmt - 11-10-2017 10:19 PM

Winning is hard... blah blah blah

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - JhanJo - 11-10-2017 10:26 PM

(11-10-2017 10:06 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  Actually, under Pastner we created good shots, and made plenty. Those teams were fine offensively, they were deficient on the boards and defense.

This team struggles to create good looks, but is better with aggression and being physical.

Same story.

- Pastner's teams were good at shot creation / passing, not great on D / boards.

The lack of good shots stood out to me. Couple that with missing the open looks we did have was disappointing. Alabama was bigger and stronger and that was our biggest problem. I swear I heard or read reports from practice that we had a guy that could shoot. I didn’t see one.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - 80sTiger - 11-10-2017 10:27 PM

10/10/2017 > Tubby Smith on @Sports56WHBQ talking pace: "We're going to be one of the best scoring teams in the league. We have that kind of firepower."

http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-829599-post-14662644.html#pid14662644

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - TigersRuleAll - 11-10-2017 10:33 PM

This isn't complicated. We have no talent. A full strength Alabama team would have beaten us by 30.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - Stammers - 11-10-2017 10:34 PM

It isn't a lazy excuse. IF Geron Johnson and Joe Jackson shoot as well their senior seasons as they did their junior seasons, we would have been a Sweet 16 team in 2014. The difference between then and now is that Geron and JJ both showed that they could shoot a lot better, none of the guys on our roster have.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - MTigerBlue - 11-10-2017 10:39 PM

(11-10-2017 10:26 PM)JhanJo Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 10:06 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  Actually, under Pastner we created good shots, and made plenty. Those teams were fine offensively, they were deficient on the boards and defense.

Same story.

The lack of good shots stood out to me. Couple that with missing the open looks we did have was disappointing. Alabama was bigger and stronger and that was our biggest problem. I swear I heard or read reports from practice that we had a guy that could shoot. I didn’t see one.

Jamal Johnson filled it up from long range in the exhibition. Was nowhere to be found tonight. But Alabama got pretty good at shooting wide open threes during that stretch in the second half. I don't think they're supposed to be that wide open, though. We sure weren't.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - Gator - 11-10-2017 10:52 PM

Tubby is lazy. Period.

Can we just get Penny already? Jeeesh

At the very least Saul needs to be ran out of town.

Freakin' Bama 03-puke

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - chrisd11 - 11-10-2017 10:52 PM

(11-10-2017 10:33 PM)TigersRuleAll Wrote:  This isn't complicated. We have no talent. A full strength Alabama team would have beaten us by 30.

It really IS this simple

We'll scrap together 17 or 18 wins because 70% of our schedule is against the dregs of Division 1. And a lot of posters here will buy into the myth that we are really improving, and next year will be our year. But this level of talent will never win at a high level, will never advance in the tournament, and as long as Grandpa Tubbs is at the helm the talent level will never get better.

All we are doing is spinning our wheels, buying time until his buyout is low enough to send him on his way and hire someone who actually wants to be great, make our program great and win at a high level against high level programs. As opposed to a lazy has-been who takes the easy way out and recruits Jucos while collecting a 3 million dollar paycheck.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - memtigbb - 11-10-2017 10:56 PM

(11-10-2017 10:52 PM)chrisd11 Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 10:33 PM)TigersRuleAll Wrote:  This isn't complicated. We have no talent. A full strength Alabama team would have beaten us by 30.

It really IS this simple

We'll scrap together 17 or 18 wins because 70% of our schedule is against the dregs of Division 1. And a lot of posters here will buy into the myth that we are really improving, and next year will be our year. But this level of talent will never win at a high level, will never advance in the tournament, and as long as Grandpa Tubbs is at the helm the talent level will never get better.

All we are doing is spinning our wheels, buying time until his buyout is low enough to send him on his way and hire someone who actually wants to be great, make our program great and win at a high level against high level programs. As opposed to a lazy has-been who takes the easy way out and recruits Jucos while collecting a 3 million dollar paycheck.

Like Lomax's father said... If you are making ALo the priority and you are in the same town, you would think we would be seeing someone atleast twice a week.... This is the laziest coach in the NCAA, even driving across town is too much work for him. And his son is much too much of a prima dona to lower himself to actually take time out of his schedule to visit recruits and actually answer questions parents and recruits might ask.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - TigersRuleAll - 11-10-2017 11:08 PM

It really IS this simple

No way this team wins anywhere near 17 games. I'm thinking more like 11-12 wins.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - chrisd11 - 11-10-2017 11:14 PM

(11-10-2017 11:08 PM)TigersRuleAll Wrote:  

It really IS this simple

No way this team wins anywhere near 17 games. I'm thinking more like 11-12 wins.

Look at the schedule

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - AlonsoWDC - 11-10-2017 11:15 PM

One, our schedule is nowhere near 70% of teams ranked 250-350 in DI.

Lot of 150-250 teams we'll lose to, though.

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - chrisd11 - 11-10-2017 11:18 PM

150-250 is the dregs of Division 1

RE: Column from Geoff Calkins - AlonsoWDC - 11-10-2017 11:19 PM

By definition, it is not.