CSNbbs
CAA/Other Opponents - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: CAA/Other Opponents (/thread-833076.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

CAA/Other Opponents - Tribeheart - 01-20-2018 09:31 PM

Seahawks!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - tribetime10 - 01-20-2018 09:31 PM

Wilmington pulls off the upset!

Tiebreakers will be big in seeding for March. Very good night for the Tribe.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - Naptown Tribe - 01-20-2018 09:33 PM

Way to go Wilmington!

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - mrjoolius - 01-20-2018 09:33 PM

We could have used some of that 35% fg & 30% 3pt when we played Towson

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - TribePride91 - 01-20-2018 09:34 PM

We could use it on Thursday.

CAA/Other Opponents - Tribeheart - 01-20-2018 09:36 PM

So, Towson back to another must win game against us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - Tribe2011 - 01-20-2018 09:52 PM

(01-20-2018 09:31 PM)tribetime10 Wrote:  Tiebreakers will be big in seeding for March. Very good night for the Tribe.

The thing about this conference is... I have no idea where I want us to be seeded. Obviously a regular season title matters an enormous amount, but after that, it's all matchups in the tourney. There are certainly scenarios in which we are better off finishing 6th than 2nd if that gives us a better path to the final. But we have absolutely no idea where everyone is going to finish to indicate which is the best spot for us.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - WMtribe17 - 01-20-2018 10:00 PM

(01-20-2018 09:52 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 09:31 PM)tribetime10 Wrote:  Tiebreakers will be big in seeding for March. Very good night for the Tribe.

The thing about this conference is... I have no idea where I want us to be seeded. Obviously a regular season title matters an enormous amount, but after that, it's all matchups in the tourney. There are certainly scenarios in which we are better off finishing 6th than 2nd if that gives us a better path to the final. But we have absolutely no idea where everyone is going to finish to indicate which is the best spot for us.

I think matchups are more important than seeding (outside of getting the 1 seed for an NIT autobid). Teams like Elon and Delaware, who don't have quick guards that can easily drive by us, are good matchups. Teams like Towson & Charleston, who have athletic guards that can drive by us at will, will be bad matchups.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - tribetime10 - 01-20-2018 10:15 PM

(01-20-2018 10:00 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 09:52 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  

I think matchups are more important than seeding (outside of getting the 1 seed for an NIT autobid). Teams like Elon and Delaware, who don't have quick guards that can easily drive by us, are good matchups. Teams like Towson & Charleston, who have athletic guards that can drive by us at will, will be bad matchups.

Agreed for the most part. Matchups are very important, but honestly there are very few teams that I *want* to face.

We're still in contention for the title, so anything results that can help with an NIT autobid are wonderful.

But also, a 4 way tie for 2nd isn't impossible and I'd rather be able to have coaches telling recruits we were the #2 seed at the CAA tourney than the #6 seed.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - Zorch - 01-20-2018 11:50 PM

(01-20-2018 10:15 PM)tribetime10 Wrote:  But also, a 4 way tie for 2nd isn't impossible and I'd rather be able to have coaches telling recruits we were the #2 seed at the CAA tourney than the #6 seed.

Regardless of seed, what we want is for coaches to be telling recruits that we WON the CAA tourney.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - WMInTheBurg - 01-21-2018 12:11 AM

(01-20-2018 10:00 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  Teams like Elon and Delaware, who don't have quick guards that can easily drive by us, are good matchups. Teams like Towson & Charleston, who have athletic guards that can drive by us at will, will be bad matchups.

This could also read: Teams like Elon and Delaware, that we are better than, are good matchups. Teams like Towson & Charleston, who are at least as good as our team, will be bad matchups. Without having seen UNCW or Charleston, the only team I think is definitely better than we are in conference is Towson. We're better than Elon, JMU, Delaware, Drexel. Northeastern is very good, but is a team that we can beat when we play well. I think that in order to beat Towson we have to play well and Towson has to play poorly. I think we're slightly better than Hofstra. At this point, I would be disappointed if we play in a bottom 4 game, which is a lot better than this season could have gone.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - WMtribe17 - 01-21-2018 01:58 AM

(01-21-2018 12:11 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 10:00 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  Teams like Elon and Delaware, who don't have quick guards that can easily drive by us, are good matchups. Teams like Towson & Charleston, who have athletic guards that can drive by us at will, will be bad matchups.

This could also read: Teams like Elon and Delaware, that we are better than, are good matchups. Teams like Towson & Charleston, who are at least as good as our team, will be bad matchups. Without having seen UNCW or Charleston, the only team I think is definitely better than we are in conference is Towson. We're better than Elon, JMU, Delaware, Drexel. Northeastern is very good, but is a team that we can beat when we play well. I think that in order to beat Towson we have to play well and Towson has to play poorly. I think we're slightly better than Hofstra. At this point, I would be disappointed if we play in a bottom 4 game, which is a lot better than this season could have gone.

Not the point I was getting at. Elon has been really tough at home (already beat Towson and UNCW there) and won by 13 at Hofstra, so I wouldn't say we are much better than them. Even a "bad" team in JMU is a team I would want to avoid because their guards can drive by us and play tight defense where our shooters struggle to find open space. UNCW is another team that I see us having trouble against, especially now that it seems they are starting to figure out some things on defense.

Even though Northeastern, a "good" team, blew us out, I think we matchup fine with them. They are just tough to come back against because of their pace of play so you don't want to fall behind by a lot, which W&M has had a knack for doing at times...

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - TribePride91 - 01-21-2018 07:07 AM

We aren't better than anybody in the league. There isn't a game we can win merely by showing up with Tribe on our jerseys. But, if our guys play with great effort and heart, there isn't any team they cannot beat. They have to play for each other, help on d, and hustle. Apparently, we need to make our free throws and score 76 points or more. But, it is a super hard road. Charleston is tough, Towson is tough, Northeastern is good. All 10 teams are capable of winning a tournament game this year. Towson and Northeastern shot poirly today and it wasn't all defense.
Winning a regular season title outright would be something W&M has never done. The #1 seed would be a slight advantage. But, we can't really look ahead because we could be 2-6 right now very easily. The fight they have shown must continue to show up. But, they are super resilient and super conditioned. It is exhausting for us, the coaches and fortunately our opponents.

CAA/Other Opponents - Tribal - 01-21-2018 07:51 AM

We apparently play defense when our backs are against the wall. I can only hope our Tribe feels that sense of urgency in the CAAT.

We can and will play defense when we want to. I don't know what to make of that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - mrjoolius - 01-21-2018 09:29 AM

I will say one trait that I love about this team. If the game is tight or within range, they consistently show the ability to close games out. It's to the point that if down 10 at the final media timeout, I still feel pretty good about pulling out the win.

The anti-JMU, if you will.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - Tribe32 - 01-21-2018 10:02 AM

I am starting to worry about our team's durability/stamina. Knight is not himself physically, and I think Pierce is playing hurt for the last three games. We get no meaningful minutes from anyone other than Rowley and Tot off the bench.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - WMInTheBurg - 01-21-2018 11:01 AM

(01-21-2018 07:07 AM)TribePride91 Wrote:  We aren't better than anybody in the league. There isn't a game we can win merely by showing up with Tribe on our jerseys. But, if our guys play with great effort and heart, there isn't any team they cannot beat.

I'll clarify: given three states of play (good, normal, bad) for each team, I count us as better if our normal has a good chance to beat their good. With the caveat that we have not yet played Charleston or UNCW, I think that we are better than Elon, JMU, Drexel, and Delaware, and that only Towson is better than us. I think Northeastern is better than Hofstra, but that we're effectively in the same "tier" of the conference as both of them.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - WMInTheBurg - 01-21-2018 11:03 AM

(01-21-2018 10:02 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I am starting to worry about our team's durability/stamina. Knight is not himself physically, and I think Pierce is playing hurt for the last three games. We get no meaningful minutes from anyone other than Rowley and Tot off the bench.

This concerns me every year when our starters play so many minutes. This is the time of year when it seems like we always see a hamstring injury or something else that coincides with overuse.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - WM Beancounter - 01-21-2018 11:36 AM

(01-21-2018 11:01 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 07:07 AM)TribePride91 Wrote:  We aren't better than anybody in the league. There isn't a game we can win merely by showing up with Tribe on our jerseys. But, if our guys play with great effort and heart, there isn't any team they cannot beat.

I'll clarify: given three states of play (good, normal, bad) for each team, I count us as better if our normal has a good chance to beat their good. With the caveat that we have not yet played Charleston or UNCW, I think that we are better than Elon, JMU, Drexel, and Delaware, and that only Towson is better than us. I think Northeastern is better than Hofstra, but that we're effectively in the same "tier" of the conference as both of them.

I don't know how anyone could have watched our home game against Northeastern and come away with the idea that we belong in the same gym with those guys. We got absolutely routed, and at no point during the game did I think we had a shot, or did I think that a little adjustment here or there would have made a bit of difference.

But I'll have some of whatever you're drinking, especially if it helps us in March. We all better hope that the Huskies are on the opposite side of the draw in Charleston.

RE: CAA/Other Opponents - wmmii - 01-21-2018 02:02 PM

(01-21-2018 11:36 AM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 11:01 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  

I don't know how anyone could have watched our home game against Northeastern and come away with the idea that we belong in the same gym with those guys. We got absolutely routed, and at no point during the game did I think we had a shot, or did I think that a little adjustment here or there would have made a bit of difference.

But I'll have some of whatever you're drinking, especially if it helps us in March. We all better hope that the Huskies are on the opposite side of the draw in Charleston.

We started the game by missing the first 4 layups ...the team came out too loose and was not focused for whatever the reason. The effort was not there and that made a good NE team look great a good Tribe TEAM look like a bad team.