CSNbbs
Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Next Game Up: Temple Owls (/thread-832626.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Next Game Up: Temple Owls - UCGrad1992 - 11-06-2017 08:48 PM

Friday is a chance to pick up our second win in a row and first at home since the September opener.

FRI NOV 10, 7:00pm ESP2
Temple (4-5)
Cincinnati (3-6) +2.5

I'm starting to think feed Doaks the rock early and often. In 8 games he's rushed for 500 yards on 83 carries for a 6 yard/rush average. Still sprinkle in some Boone and Warren but feature Doaks.

Thought I'd leave these here for something to build on for Friday...

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - CliftonAve - 11-07-2017 09:55 AM

It's going to be cold that night... the weather is projected to be between 30-33 degrees on Friday night. Too bad that was not the temp for UCF and SMU.

In the last two games, Temple has down a great job shutting down the run. They held Army and Navy well below their average on the ground. In fact, it was the first time in several years that Navy was unable to garner a TD on the ground. I suspect they will recognize the strength of our offense is the ground game and will try to force us to have to rely on Hayden Moore throwing the ball.

Temple's strength on offense is their passing game, so our corners and safeties will be tested much more than they were last week against Tulane. The key for us is to get stops on third down, which has been a challenge all year against teams that have some semblance of a passing game.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - OKIcat - 11-07-2017 10:38 AM

(11-07-2017 09:55 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  It's going to be cold that night... the weather is projected to be between 30-33 degrees on Friday night. Too bad that was not the temp for UCF and SMU.

In the last two games, Temple has down a great job shutting down the run. They held Army and Navy well below their average on the ground. In fact, it was the first time in several years that Navy was unable to garner a TD on the ground. I suspect they will recognize the strength of our offense is the ground game and will try to force us to have to rely on Hayden Moore throwing the ball.

Temple's strength on offense is their passing game, so our corners and safeties will be tested much more than they were last week against Tulane. The key for us is to get stops on third down, which has been a challenge all year against teams that have some semblance of a passing game.

Wow, that's been a challenge for about three years now. UC gives up some of the most improbable 3rd and long conversions I've ever seen by any college team.

Based on the matchup, I'm pessimistic; based upon UC's improvement, the energy from the last victory and the passion of a decent home crowd I'm optimistic we'll see a close, competitive game. Go 'Cats!

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Racinejake - 11-07-2017 11:46 AM

(11-07-2017 09:55 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  It's going to be cold that night... the weather is projected to be between 30-33 degrees on Friday night. Too bad that was not the temp for UCF and SMU.

Interesting they did such a good job against Army and Navy. Must be a case of preparation and keeping assignments, etc. I watched a bit of the Navy game and they stuff the FB on nearly every play, very stout in the middle. Otherwise, Temple hasn't been overly impressive at stopping the run (73rd nationally). It seems teams that are more balanced have had more success since Temple can't just load up to stop the run which makes sense.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - bearcat72 - 11-07-2017 11:52 AM

(11-07-2017 11:46 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Interesting they did such a good job against Army and Navy. Must be a case of preparation and keeping assignments, etc. I watched a bit of the Navy game and they stuff the FB on nearly every play, very stout in the middle. Otherwise, Temple hasn't been overly impressive at stopping the run (73rd nationally). It seems teams that are more balanced have had more success since Temple can't just load up to stop the run which makes sense.

Temple also had about 8 guys in the box on every play. We'll have to throw the ball to have any kind of running attack. If they can pressure us throwing, with only four rushers, it will be a long evening.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Bruce Monnin - 11-07-2017 01:34 PM

Curious as to the crowd size. A cold Friday night on the first year the OHSAA moved all high school playoff games to Friday night. A lot of St. Xavier, Sycamore, Colerain, Princeton, LaSalle, Winton Woods, Anderson, New Richmond, Clinton-Massie, Wyoming, Indian Hill, Reading, Cin Hills Christian Academy, Coldwater, Marion Local and Minster fans will not at the UC game.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - OKIcat - 11-07-2017 01:40 PM

(11-07-2017 01:34 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Curious as to the crowd size. A cold Friday night on the first year the OHSAA moved all high school playoff games to Friday night. A lot of St. Xavier, Sycamore, Colerain, Princeton, LaSalle, Winton Woods, Anderson, New Richmond, Clinton-Massie, Wyoming, Indian Hill, Reading, Cin Hills Christian Academy, Coldwater, Marion Local and Minster fans will not at the UC game.

No doubt the high school games are an issue but the first night game with temperatures in the 30's doesn't bode well for the student section or the walk up crowd. Oh well, we can't control the weather and we've watched some beautiful weather for games this season wasted with disappointing losses. And that's not a shot at players or coaches; just the long, painful rebuilding process.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - UCGrad1992 - 11-07-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:Desperation time for Temple and Cincinnati on Friday
Updated: NOVEMBER 7, 2017 — 6:36 PM EST
by Marc Narducci, STAFF WRITER @sjnard | mnarducci@phillynews.com

Temple has been fighting for its bowl-eligibility life, but the Owls face an opponent this week that is in an even more desperate situation.

On Friday, Temple (4-5, 2-3 American Athletic Conference) will visit a Cincinnati team that has no margin for error when it comes to being bowl eligible.

Call it the Super Bowl for bowl-eligible teams. Both teams are coming off wins that should give them a major bounce.

Temple defeated Navy, 34-26, earning its first victory over a Football Bowl Subdivision team with a winning record. (Navy is now 5-3.) The Bearcats (3-6, 1-4) earned their first AAC win last week in a 17-16 squeaker at Tulane.

Each team has three games left in an effort to get to the six-win total that would make them bowl eligible.

On paper, Temple has a little cushion, but next week’s game is against No. 14 Central Florida (8-0, 5-0). The Owls will end the regular season at Tulsa (2-8, 1-5).

Cincinnati will face three sub .500 teams, with the final two games at East Carolina (2-7, 1-4) and home against Connecticut (3-6, 2-4).

Coach Geoff Collins says the Owls approach each game is the same, but the players know about the added importance of this one.

“The next three games will be Cincinnati’s Super Bowl as well as ours,” said Temple defensive end Sharif Finch, who was named the AAC defensive player of the week after recording five tackles and two sacks against Navy. “We are fighting for our lives to get to a bowl game. They have to win every game and we have to pretty much win every game, so they will definitely bring their best and we definitely will bring ours.”

The Owls will start redshirt junior quarterback Frank Nutile for the third consecutive week in place of the injured Logan Marchi.

At Tuesday’s practice, Marchi was taking reps in the portion the media was able to view, but Collins said it would be a game-time decision on whether Marchi or redshirt freshman Anthony Russo would be Nutile’s backup.

Nutile has given the Owls a spark with five touchdowns and just one interception in his first two career starts. He insists he isn’t putting any more emphasis into the game despite the added stakes.

“It is the same basic 1-0 approach; we feel we are in a championship game from here on out,” said Nutile, who completed 22 of 30 for 289 yards with four touchdown and an interception against Navy. “We are trying to give everything we have for these seniors and send them out the right way, so nothing changes week to week.”

One thing that will change is the addition of wide receiver Ventell Bryant, who missed the Navy game because of what Collins called an “internal matter.” That should bolster an ever-improving receiving corps.

'Dem Owls

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - JHG722 - 11-08-2017 07:03 PM

We're young and very skinny at LB. Two true sophomores and a redshirt sophomore start at LB. DL is a bit more experienced.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Bcatbog - 11-08-2017 10:37 PM

(11-08-2017 07:03 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

We're young and very skinny at LB. Two true sophomores and a redshirt sophomore start at LB. DL is a bit more experienced.

Our team has the chance to win out. For now we are what we are. Our guys are our guys today. What we are not is not the issue this week.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Z-Fly - 11-10-2017 10:02 AM

I tried to see if I could score some club seats for cheap, so I could get a sniff of Doss's high life. I couldn't really find anything. So I'll be out in the cold manning my post behind the field goal post. Anyone else going tonight?

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - rath v2.0 - 11-10-2017 10:12 AM

I'll be freezing my arse off too but will be listening to Dan on the radio in a RV in the woods.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Z-Fly - 11-10-2017 10:15 AM

Hunting season, I hope?

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - CliftonAve - 11-10-2017 10:16 AM

(11-10-2017 10:02 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I tried to see if I could score some club seats for cheap, so I could get a sniff of Doss's high life. I couldn't really find anything. So I'll be out in the cold manning my post behind the field goal post. Anyone else going tonight?

I'll be there. I sit up in the Reed Shank Pavillion.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - mbj655 - 11-10-2017 10:18 AM

(11-10-2017 10:02 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I tried to see if I could score some club seats for cheap, so I could get a sniff of Doss's high life. I couldn't really find anything. So I'll be out in the cold manning my post behind the field goal post. Anyone else going tonight?

I'll be there. This might be the coldest game since USF in 2012.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - CliftonAve - 11-10-2017 10:21 AM

(11-10-2017 10:18 AM)mbj655 Wrote:  

The ECU game down at PBS in 2014 was colder than a Witch's Teet. I wore three layers of clothing and had hand and foot warmers and still froze my arse off.

Just thought of Subflea for a minute.... at the game he and I were giving some ECU fans some shyte.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - The T-Shirt - 11-10-2017 10:29 AM

(11-10-2017 10:18 AM)mbj655 Wrote:  

I remember that senior night. Miserably cold, and the wind made it so much worse. Layers layers layers. I felt bad for the players that night, good season but an abysmal crowd.

I'll be there tonight too, and I can't wait. Should be a good matchup. I'm hoping they have some hot chocolate at the concessions.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - Bruce Monnin - 11-10-2017 10:30 AM

(11-10-2017 10:21 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  The ECU game down at PBS in 2014 was colder than a Witch's Teet. I wore three layers of clothing and had hand and foot warmers and still froze my arse off.

Just thought of Subflea for a minute.... at the game he and I were giving some ECU fans some shyte.

That was such a fun game. In the second half I moved into the ever shrinking student section and spent a bunch of the time banging my hands on those plastic seats to make noise.

Stayed for the whole game, then spent two hours on the road to get home before substitute teaching the next morning. Had about three hours of sleep and my hands were blistered. Worth every bit of it, though.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - rosewater - 11-10-2017 10:35 AM

Rosewater starts the tailgating at 5 oclock.

RE: Next Game Up: Temple Owls - rath v2.0 - 11-10-2017 10:35 AM

(11-10-2017 10:15 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  Hunting season, I hope?

And keeping an eye out for revenuers.