CSNbbs
Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? (/thread-832615.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - BadgerMJ - 12-05-2017 11:59 AM

(12-05-2017 11:46 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 11:14 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Looks like this deal is back in a slightly modified form. If it goes through, then Disney gets the bulk of 21st Century Fox, but Disney would avoid antitrust problems by not acquiring Fox broadcast network, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel, FS1, and FS2.

I think the only detail here that wasn't in the previously-reported proposal is that Disney would acquire Fox's regional sports channels as part of the deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html
Quote:The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.

The enterprise value of the Fox assets in the Disney deal is seen as above $60 billion, according to sources. Current Fox shareholders would get one share of the Fox company that remains after the movie and television assets are sold plus shares of Disney in a fixed exchange ratio.

Wow - that's legitimately surprising that Fox would part with those RSNs. Those make a TON of money (and are likely more valuable on a per subscriber basis than FS1/FS2). It also gives ESPN even more levarage going forward when it can combine access to the mothership with access to those RSNs. Most relevant to this particular board: what happens to Fox's share of BTN? Is that considered to be the Fox Sports portion to be retained by Fox or would it be included with the RSNs? Imagine if that comes into the ESPN fold (which would give them the Big Ten Network in addition to the SEC and ACC).

That's a truly horrifying thought. ESPN would pretty much have total control of college sports and the P5 conferences. Makes one wonder if this happens if Fox would even bid on football packages.

If you think there's "bias" in reporting and coverage now, just wait until the conferences have no where else to go.

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - MissouriStateBears - 12-05-2017 12:16 PM

I think FOX is getting ready to sell to AT&T once they get the Time Warner deal straightened out.

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - quo vadis - 12-05-2017 12:20 PM

(12-05-2017 12:16 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  I think FOX is getting ready to sell to AT&T once they get the Time Warner deal straightened out.

I can't see that. Disney has the greatest motivation - they want those FOX Marvel properties very badly, and they will simply pay more than any other big media company like a Time-Warner or Comcast or Sony to get them.

Unless some unforeseen force, like an Amazon or Google, jumps in at the last minute, I predict a Disney acquisition.

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - MissouriStateBears - 12-05-2017 01:06 PM

(12-05-2017 12:20 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 12:16 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  I think FOX is getting ready to sell to AT&T once they get the Time Warner deal straightened out.

I can't see that. Disney has the greatest motivation - they want those FOX Marvel properties very badly, and they will simply pay more than any other big media company like a Time-Warner or Comcast or Sony to get them.

Unless some unforeseen force, like an Amazon or Google, jumps in at the last minute, I predict a Disney acquisition.

Not the studios and all that. The aftermath - the broadcast network, FOX News, FOX Sports. Would mix perfectly with what AT&T has/will get.

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - Chappy - 12-05-2017 01:12 PM

Welcome Wolverine to the Avengers!

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - Frank the Tank - 12-05-2017 01:29 PM

(12-05-2017 01:06 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 12:20 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Not the studios and all that. The aftermath - the broadcast network, FOX News, FOX Sports. Would mix perfectly with what AT&T has/will get.

I could see that occurring down the road. It would almost be a full ownership circle since DirecTV (now owned by AT&T) used to be partially owned by News Corp. (Fox's parent).

RE: Disney buying 21st Century Fox?? - solohawks - 12-05-2017 02:11 PM

I gotta think the Big 10 network would be lumped in their with the other Fox Sports Regional networks. The only networks I have seen specifically excluded from the sale are FOX OTA, FS1/2 and Fox News/Business