CSNbbs
Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane (/thread-831111.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - MemphisTigerFreak - 10-24-2017 12:04 PM

How would you feel if we named the Memphis/Tulane series this? Yeh, it's just Tulane. But when we play Tulane on Friday it will be the 34th game in the series, which will tie with Cincinnati as our most played opponent in the AAC, 6th most all-time. Being that we play Tulane every year now as they are a division foe, next year they will be alone at the top as our most played AAC team. We are by far Tulane's most played AAC opponent and have played consistently since 1978.

We could even make this a trophy game and have some sort of bronze river boat trophy.

I tweeted this to Dr Rudd and the Tulane President, both athletic pages, both football pages, Coach Norvell and Coach Fritz, and the Tulane Athletic Director. What say you?

https://twitter.com/nwhaley5/status/922836662178152448

[Image: DM6TC13UQAERz7c?format=jpg]

[Image: 20191017064520.jpg]

We only have 3 opponents with a rivalry name to the game and we do not regularly play any of them.

Black and Blue Bowl - Southern Miss
Battle for the Bones - UAB
Paint Bucket Bowl - Arkansas State

I do wish we could bring back the Paint Bucket Trophy when we start the 4 game series with Arkansas State in a few years. Maybe if the right person hears about it...

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - ksigtigerdood - 10-24-2017 12:12 PM

Lord... The ASU game should not be a rivalry game.

Our biggest rival at this point is probably Houston

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - NDTiger - 10-24-2017 12:50 PM

I like it

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - 3601 - 10-24-2017 01:21 PM

I think there are too many contrived and forced "rivalries" in college football.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - bcmemphis - 10-24-2017 01:33 PM

(10-24-2017 12:04 PM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  How would you feel if we named the Memphis/Tulane series this? Yeh, it's just Tulane. But when we play Tulane on Friday it will be the 34th game in the series, which will tie with Cincinnati as our most played opponent in the AAC, 6th most all-time. Being that we play Tulane every year now as they are a division foe, next year they will be alone at the top as our most played AAC team. We are by far Tulane's most played AAC opponent and have played consistently since 1978.

We could even make this a trophy game and have some sort of bronze river boat trophy.

I tweeted this to Dr Rudd and the Tulane President, both athletic pages, both football pages, Coach Norvell and Coach Fritz, and the Tulane Athletic Director. What say you?

We only have 3 opponents with a rivalry name to the game and we do not regularly play any of them.

I do wish we could bring back the Paint Bucket Trophy when we start the 4 game series with Arkansas State in a few years. Maybe if the right person hears about it...

I like it. You obviously put some thought and time into it.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - Unbreakable04 - 10-24-2017 01:44 PM

Gotta love Microsoft Paint.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - shere khan - 10-24-2017 01:49 PM

[Image: view]

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - MemphisTigerFreak - 10-24-2017 02:06 PM

(10-24-2017 01:44 PM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  Gotta love Microsoft Paint.

Even better: Cut Paste Photos App and Logopit Plus App on Android.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - MemphisTigerFreak - 10-24-2017 02:14 PM

(10-24-2017 01:21 PM)3601 Wrote:  I think there are too many contrived and forced "rivalries" in college football.

You gotta start somewhere. This works too if the AAC sets up permanent end of season matchups for "Rivalry Week." I would prefer to play Houston in that, but Houston/Tulsa is by far the most played game between AAC opponents.

UCF/USF - Simple, War on I-4.
Temple/UConn - NE partners. Listed under "Rivals" on each teams Wiki page (top sourcing right there)
Cincinnati/East Carolina - Longest standing series in the East.

Houston/Tulsa - Teh Rivalry. Longest standing series by far in the West
Navy/SMU - Gansz Trophy, current trophy game
Memphis/Tulane - Longest standing series for both teams out of West division

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - Tiger87 - 10-24-2017 03:13 PM

no

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - mairving - 10-24-2017 03:19 PM

Let's develop rivalries with Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, West Virginia, TCU and Oklahoma State instead.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - MemphisTigerFreak - 10-24-2017 03:32 PM

(10-24-2017 03:19 PM)mairving Wrote:  Let's develop rivalries with Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, West Virginia, TCU and Oklahoma State instead.

[Image: good-luck.gif]

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - bariggins98 - 10-24-2017 05:17 PM

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rivalries happen organically, not by just deciding "hey, let's make School X a rivalry game." I always thought the UAB "rivalry" was contrived. No one "hates" UAB. No one "hates" a team that doesn't beat you.

The closest thing we have to a rival is Cincy and Houston. Cincy because of history (mostly BBall).

Houston because of having recently played actual games that matter to both programs the last few years.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - MtownTigers916 - 10-24-2017 05:44 PM

(10-24-2017 05:17 PM)bariggins98 Wrote:  Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rivalries happen organically, not by just deciding "hey, let's make School X a rivalry game." I always thought the UAB "rivalry" was contrived. No one "hates" UAB. No one "hates" a team that doesn't beat you.

The closest thing we have to a rival is Cincy and Houston. Cincy because of history (mostly BBall).

Houston because of having recently played actual games that matter to both programs the last few years.

UAB didn't hate us? They had our number for years in football

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - ncrdbl1 - 10-24-2017 06:52 PM

The Blues vs The Jazz

Have a trumpet as the trophy

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - tigerlands - 10-24-2017 06:53 PM

(10-24-2017 06:52 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  The Blues vs The Jazz

Have a trumpet as the trophy

Ahh-HAHA. I love that.

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - ncrdbl1 - 10-24-2017 06:56 PM

(10-24-2017 05:17 PM)bariggins98 Wrote:  Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rivalries happen organically, not by just deciding "hey, let's make School X a rivalry game." I always thought the UAB "rivalry" was contrived. No one "hates" UAB. No one "hates" a team that doesn't beat you.

How many straight years did UAB wipe the floor with us before we finally won again?

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - Tigergary - 10-24-2017 07:35 PM

Bourbon blues classic

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - bubbapt - 10-24-2017 07:44 PM

(10-24-2017 12:04 PM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  How would you feel if we named the Memphis/Tulane series this? Yeh, it's just Tulane. But when we play Tulane on Friday it will be the 34th game in the series, which will tie with Cincinnati as our most played opponent in the AAC, 6th most all-time. Being that we play Tulane every year now as they are a division foe, next year they will be alone at the top as our most played AAC team. We are by far Tulane's most played AAC opponent and have played consistently since 1978.

I'm pretty sure that they can't stand us, so why not?

RE: Old Man River Rivalry - Memphis vs Tulane - hsvtiger - 10-24-2017 07:58 PM

I'd go with The Riverboat Rumble with the Steamwheeler Trophy up for grabs.
04-cheers