CSNbbs
The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! (/thread-830036.html)

Pages: 1 2

The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Sirloin Burger - 10-14-2017 07:09 PM

Because all the players read this forum, say something to boost their morale!

Go Monarchs! Beat the darlings of CUSA, WKU!

Keep your chin up boys!

RE: The ODU Football Moral Boosting Thread! - paintedblue2 - 10-14-2017 07:17 PM

Guys, we know it's tough playing in the midst of a losing streak and to keep fighting through adversity. Please remember that you are representing ODU and you must be on your best behavior. We don't want to hear about any of you cheating, smoking, drinking alcohol, or engaging in pre-marital sex. Now go out there and be good, mmmkay.

RE: The ODU Football Moral Boosting Thread! - ODU True Blue - 10-14-2017 07:22 PM

What morals do you want to boost? Don’t break laws? No means no?

Or were you going for MORALE?

RE: The ODU Football Moral Boosting Thread! - CameramanJ - 10-14-2017 07:23 PM

Remember that even on the roughest of days, the French consider this wild mushroom a delicacy
[Image: MorelMushroomFI.jpg]

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Sirloin Burger - 10-14-2017 07:23 PM

I forgot the e, I corrected the spelling. Thanks.

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - GotLabradors - 10-14-2017 07:26 PM

(10-14-2017 07:09 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  Because all the players read this forum, say something to boost their morale!

Go Monarchs! Beat the darlings of CUSA, WKU!

Keep your chin up boys!

03-lmfao

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - blueandsilver - 10-14-2017 09:01 PM

I hope to see some of the excitement that seems to have been drained over the last 4 games .... but most of all I want the defense to just go out there and 'hit' someone. Hell, I'll settle for Cox trampling a DB of LB!! GO MONARCHS.

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - The Doctor Is In - 10-14-2017 09:07 PM

Hurricane season is almost over!

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - AdoptedMonarch - 10-14-2017 09:27 PM

You can save 15% or more by switching to Geico?

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - The Doctor Is In - 10-14-2017 09:51 PM

Yes, Absolutey, I'm 100% behind them!

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Mr.BigBlue - 10-15-2017 07:38 AM

Look I am all for focusing on positive things but this staff have gone too far. In sports there is a balance. When adversity hits you have to have the toughness to hit back harder and sometimes that requires an ass kicking and some tough words. If they can't take that then they will have trouble in life. When positive things occur you celebrate that. The issue is we haven't had much positive to celebrate. Even in our wins their wasn't much to celebrate. You should always have more positive statements then negative but you should also be realistic and not blow smoke. One of the most important things for a player to do each and every game is realistically evaluate their performance and take steps to improve in areas they didn't perform as they should. I bet their morale is not very high based on the last 4 games and they should use that to motivate themselves to work even harder now and in the offseason. Right now...BW and this staff is too comfortable. BW's sugar coated comments after the game yesterday demonstrates that.

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Nukesquad - 10-15-2017 01:37 PM

(10-15-2017 07:38 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Look I am all for focusing on positive things but this staff have gone too far. In sports there is a balance. When adversity hits you have to have the toughness to hit back harder and sometimes that requires an ass kicking and some tough words. If they can't take that then they will have trouble in life. When positive things occur you celebrate that. The issue is we haven't had much positive to celebrate. Even in our wins their wasn't much to celebrate. You should always have more positive statements then negative but you should also be realistic and not blow smoke. One of the most important things for a player to do each and every game is realistically evaluate their performance and take steps to improve in areas they didn't perform as they should. I bet their morale is not very high based on the last 4 games and they should use that to motivate themselves to work even harder now and in the offseason. Right now...BW and this staff is too comfortable. BW's sugar coated comments after the game yesterday demonstrates that.

Yes. There is no threat for BW to lose his job this year, and maybe into 2019. Also, BW pushed extremely hard ALL OFF-SEASON to get his top assistants multi-year contracts. He claimed that this "locks" assistant in so they don't leave to go elsewhere, but those that were awarded these contracts have no business leaving elsewhere. Now that the defense is not the glaring eyesore as it used to be, in comparison to the offensive side (not saying it's great, it just doesn't overshadow the offensive issues), every football layperson can see that zero adjustments have been made in the offensive schematic for seasons. I agree that the coaches seem too passive/casual/comfortable, whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately, I feel we will continue to listen to more smoke-and-mirrors coach speak, which more often than not throws the players under the bus rather than the coaching staff.

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Cyniclone - 10-15-2017 02:00 PM

(10-15-2017 07:38 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Look I am all for focusing on positive things but this staff have gone too far. In sports there is a balance. When adversity hits you have to have the toughness to hit back harder and sometimes that requires an ass kicking and some tough words. If they can't take that then they will have trouble in life. When positive things occur you celebrate that. The issue is we haven't had much positive to celebrate. Even in our wins their wasn't much to celebrate. You should always have more positive statements then negative but you should also be realistic and not blow smoke. One of the most important things for a player to do each and every game is realistically evaluate their performance and take steps to improve in areas they didn't perform as they should. I bet their morale is not very high based on the last 4 games and they should use that to motivate themselves to work even harder now and in the offseason. Right now...BW and this staff is too comfortable. BW's sugar coated comments after the game yesterday demonstrates that.

Maybe someone closer to the program can answer this, but does BW act the same way with his players behind closed doors? I don't know that piss and vinegar behind the microphones and audio recorders means anything other than it satisfies a certain segment of the fan base (and probably concerns another segment). Does BW have this attitude all the time or is it just his public face? And if it is, does it matter how he behaves in public as long as he's riding them as needed in practice?

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - ETSUDB8-79 - 10-15-2017 02:14 PM

(10-15-2017 02:00 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Maybe someone closer to the program can answer this, but does BW act the same way with his players behind closed doors? I don't know that piss and vinegar behind the microphones and audio recorders means anything other than it satisfies a certain segment of the fan base (and probably concerns another segment). Does BW have this attitude all the time or is it just his public face? And if it is, does it matter how he behaves in public as long as he's riding them as needed in practice?

I really want to stay out of this but(t) - Of course he is different with the players behind closed doors than what he presents to the public/press. To some degree all coaches are. I feel pretty sure if you ask the players about it they will tell you. I am not aware of it being top secret or hush-hush. I would add he falls into the "teacher" mode/style of coaching rather than the drill sergeant or angry boss. I have never been in favor of deriding your players/team to the press - I actually don't like coaches that do that and would not want to play for them but I know others who disagree strongly and coaches who are very successful that do it. From what I have heard he does not deride them but he is capable and does, when necessary, encourage/teach them with great vigor.

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - ODUBB35 - 10-15-2017 03:01 PM

Maybe this will help.

[Image: d_640312BK.jpg]

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Monarchblue - 10-15-2017 07:16 PM

(10-15-2017 02:14 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 02:00 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

I really want to stay out of this but(t) - Of course he is different with the players behind closed doors than what he presents to the public/press. To some degree all coaches are. I feel pretty sure if you ask the players about it they will tell you. I am not aware of it being top secret or hush-hush. I would add he falls into the "teacher" mode/style of coaching rather than the drill sergeant or angry boss. I have never been in favor of deriding your players/team to the press - I actually don't like coaches that do that and would not want to play for them but I know others who disagree strongly and coaches who are very successful that do it. From what I have heard he does not deride them but he is capable and does, when necessary, encourage/teach them with great vigor.
I totally agree with this. There are different styles and most can be successful, but I don't see where kicking guys while they are down helps. You can be just as effective sitting down and having one on ones with players and pointing out what needs work like a reasonable adult, as long as you hold them accountable, and I think he does. He has often benched guys for not improving on things like penalties, fumbles, and recently dropped passes. He also held players who did not perform in the off season accountable. Sure there is a time for the rah rah stuff, usually when challenging someone will get them focused, but when the ship is sinking, yelling at everyone and bitching about them in a press conference probably isn't going to help a thing.

BTW, it probably seems like I am defending BW, or am an apologist. I am not really. While I don't think his seat should be the least bit hot right now, I'm pretty on the fence about whether he is the right guy for the long term.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - jasdf - 10-15-2017 07:43 PM

Remember those days when people used to joke about the football team scoring as many points as the basketball team

Ah wrong thread

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - CameramanJ - 10-16-2017 06:36 PM

We're still the best football team in Norfolk

[Image: cff.png]

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - ODUalum78 - 10-16-2017 06:57 PM

(10-16-2017 06:36 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  We're still the best football team in Norfolk

[Image: cff.png]

We're still the the best football team in Tidewater

[Image: master-bait-tackle_1d008f7e40.png]

RE: The ODU Football Morale Boosting Thread! - Razor Ramon Monarch - 10-16-2017 08:34 PM

Clearly you guys haven't seen Oscar Smith.