CSNbbs
Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) (/thread-828584.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - Fort Bend Owl - 09-29-2017 10:56 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/29/librarian-rejects-melania-trump-s-dr-seuss-books-calls-them-racist-propaganda.html

She sent some Dr. Seuss books to a school library in Massachusetts, and they were rejected by the school for being racist. Mrs. Trump is not happy with the response, and I don't blame her one bit for being angry.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - Kaplony - 09-29-2017 11:07 AM

More to the story

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/29/librarian-who-rejected-melania-trumps-dr-seuss-books-dressed-as-cat-in-hat.html

Quote:Horton hears a hypocrite.

The Massachusetts elementary school librarian who rejected Dr. Seuss books donated by First Lady Melania Trump because the publication’s artwork contained “racist mockery,” was previously photographed dressed as the Cat in the Hat and holding a “Green Eggs and Ham” themed breakfast.

Liz Phipps Soeiro was busted Friday by Twitter users after she snubbed the First Lady’s donation to the Cambridgeport Elementary School. Soeiro wrote in a letter to Trump that the school could not accept the books, which included: “The Cat in the Hat,” “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” and “Green Eggs and Ham.”

Yet Soeiro was seen in a March 2015 photo from the school's Twitter account holding a Cat in the Hat doll in one hand, a Green Eggs and Ham book in the other and Dr. Seuss-style stockings and hat -- and smiling while doing so.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - B_Hawk06 - 09-29-2017 11:50 AM

Typical left-wing "educator". Further highlights the necessity of being a good parent and not relying on the school system to raise your child/children.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - banker - 09-29-2017 12:02 PM

Did you guys happen to see the new South Park? Randy goes on a rampage to eliminate Christopher Columbus from existence, going so far as to call people individually in Columbus, OH to call them racist pieces of shite (pretty funny). Anyway, the story turns when it comes up that Randy was a huge Columbus fan, even dressing as Columbus in his wedding. This story is the same thing. It amazes me how the South Park guys consistently nail these SJW events before they happen.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - dbacard - 09-29-2017 12:14 PM

If Hillary had won and sent those same books, that librarian would have enshrined them.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - tigergreen - 09-29-2017 12:16 PM

Fake news. At least tell the whole truth if you're going to post something.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/29/melania-trump-dr-seuss-books-rejected-massachusetts-school-librarian

They weren't rejected for being "racist," they were rejected because the librarian knew their school didn't need the donation, and instead suggested that Melania donate to schools with fewer resources...resources that her hubby's education secretary is more than happy to slash:

"But Liz Phipps Soeiro, an award-winning school librarian at Cambridgeport elementary school in Massachusetts, turned down the offer, saying that her school has no need for the books. In a letter posted on the Horn Book site, she suggested that Trump should send the books to schools with fewer resources.

“Why not go out of your way to gift books to underfunded and underprivileged communities that continue to be marginalised and maligned by policies put in place by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos?” Phipps Soeiro asked. “Why not reflect on those ‘high standards of excellence’ beyond only what the numbers suggest? Secretary DeVos would do well to scaffold and lift schools instead of punishing them with closures and slashed budgets.”

Soeiro does mention toward the very bottom of the letter that Dr. Seuss books have been noted for having racial stereotypes, but that's not new information, and is more of an aside in the letter. Her main focus is the fact that her school is well-off, therefore she believes schools with fewer resources would be better served by them.

The actual letter, if you care to read it: http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/family-reading/dear-mrs-trump/

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - UTSAMarineVet09 - 09-29-2017 12:29 PM

(09-29-2017 12:16 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  Fake news. At least tell the whole truth if you're going to post something.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/29/melania-trump-dr-seuss-books-rejected-massachusetts-school-librarian

They weren't rejected for being "racist," they were rejected because the librarian knew their school didn't need the donation, and instead suggested that Melania donate to schools with fewer resources...resources that her hubby's education secretary is more than happy to slash:

"But Liz Phipps Soeiro, an award-winning school librarian at Cambridgeport elementary school in Massachusetts, turned down the offer, saying that her school has no need for the books. In a letter posted on the Horn Book site, she suggested that Trump should send the books to schools with fewer resources.

“Why not go out of your way to gift books to underfunded and underprivileged communities that continue to be marginalised and maligned by policies put in place by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos?” Phipps Soeiro asked. “Why not reflect on those ‘high standards of excellence’ beyond only what the numbers suggest? Secretary DeVos would do well to scaffold and lift schools instead of punishing them with closures and slashed budgets.”

Soeiro does mention toward the very bottom of the letter that Dr. Seuss books have been noted for having racial stereotypes, but that's not new information, and is more of an aside in the letter. Her main focus is the fact that her school is well-off, therefore she believes schools with fewer resources would be better served by them.

The actual letter, if you care to read it: http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/family-reading/dear-mrs-trump/

you might want to read up on the whole letter before you start commenting...

Quote:Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes. Open one of his books (If I Ran a Zoo or And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, for example), and you’ll see the racist mockery in his art. Grace Hwang Lynch’s School Library Journal article, “Is the Cat in the Hat Racist? Read Across America Shifts Away from Dr. Seuss and Toward Diverse Books,” reports on Katie Ishizuka’s work analyzing the minstrel characteristics and trope nature of Seuss’s characters. Scholar Philip Nel’s new book, Was the Cat in the Hat Black? The Hidden Racism of Children’s Literature, and the Need for Diverse Books, further explores and shines a spotlight on the systemic racism and oppression in education and literature.

From the link YOU provided

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - tigergreen - 09-29-2017 12:31 PM

(09-29-2017 12:29 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  you might want to read up on the whole letter before you start commenting...

Quote:Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes. Open one of his books (If I Ran a Zoo or And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, for example), and you’ll see the racist mockery in his art. Grace Hwang Lynch’s School Library Journal article, “Is the Cat in the Hat Racist? Read Across America Shifts Away from Dr. Seuss and Toward Diverse Books,” reports on Katie Ishizuka’s work analyzing the minstrel characteristics and trope nature of Seuss’s characters. Scholar Philip Nel’s new book, Was the Cat in the Hat Black? The Hidden Racism of Children’s Literature, and the Need for Diverse Books, further explores and shines a spotlight on the systemic racism and oppression in education and literature.

...and you might want to read my entire post before responding:

"Soeiro does mention toward the very bottom of the letter that Dr. Seuss books have been noted for having racial stereotypes, but that's not new information, and is more of an aside in the letter. Her main focus is the fact that her school is well-off, therefore she believes schools with fewer resources would be better served by them."

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - UTSAMarineVet09 - 09-29-2017 12:32 PM

(09-29-2017 12:31 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(09-29-2017 12:29 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(09-29-2017 12:16 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  Fake news. At least tell the whole truth if you're going to post something.

you might want to read up on the whole letter before you start commenting...

...and you might want to read my entire post before responding:

"Soeiro does mention toward the very bottom of the letter that Dr. Seuss books have been noted for having racial stereotypes, but that's not new information, and is more of an aside in the letter. Her main focus is the fact that her school is well-off, therefore she believes schools with fewer resources would be better served by them."

so the librarian is a racist and hypocrite POS then...

[Image: 694940094001_5593295933001_5593260588001...p;amp;tl=1]

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - tigergreen - 09-29-2017 12:39 PM

(09-29-2017 12:32 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  so the librarian is a racist and hypocrite POS then...

Just because she mentions that in her letter doesn't mean that she'll ban Dr. Seuss books from her school, nor does it mean that she'll go against her district's curriculum, which most likely does a Dr. Seuss day on the date of his birthday. Assume much?

Just about every school & district across the country does this now, as a part of "Read Across America," so I would assume this is where the picture came from. Nice try, and very mature name-calling, though.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - UTSAMarineVet09 - 09-29-2017 12:41 PM

(09-29-2017 12:39 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(09-29-2017 12:32 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  so the librarian is a racist and hypocrite POS then...

Just because she mentions that in her letter doesn't mean that she'll ban Dr. Seuss books from her school, nor does it mean that she'll go against her district's curriculum, which most likely does a Dr. Seuss day on the date of his birthday. Assume much?

Just about every school & district across the country does this now, as a part of "Read Across America," so I would assume this is where the picture came from. Nice try, and very mature name-calling, though.

calling me out for assuming while you are assuming... 07-coffee3

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - tigergreen - 09-29-2017 12:50 PM

(09-29-2017 12:41 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

Okay, I won't assume, then.

From the Fox News link that someone else posted earlier in the thread...the associated picture is indeed from Dr. Seuss's birthday event at the school.

@Cport_Special
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! K and 1 celebrated with a green egg breakfast! @Cport_School @cambridge_cpsd

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - Kaplony - 09-29-2017 12:51 PM

(09-29-2017 12:50 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  

From the Fox News link that someone else posted earlier in the thread...the associated picture is indeed from Dr. Seuss's birthday event at the school.

@Cport_Special
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! K and 1 celebrated with a green egg breakfast! @Cport_School @cambridge_cpsd

So now it's OK to celebrate racists as long as it's their birthday?

You leftists need to make up your rabbit-assed minds.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - shere khan - 09-29-2017 12:52 PM

Why do Democrats hate America and Dr. Suess

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - dbacard - 09-29-2017 12:56 PM

[Image: DK5GXb8UIAA-A4X.jpg]

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - VA49er - 09-29-2017 12:56 PM

The ONLY reason the books were rejected is because they were donated by a Trump. Sad to see an educator stoop to that level but I guess TDS reaches everywhere.

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - tigergreen - 09-29-2017 12:58 PM

(09-29-2017 12:51 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(09-29-2017 12:50 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  

@Cport_Special

So now it's OK to celebrate racists as long as it's their birthday?

You leftists need to make up your rabbit-assed minds.

Speaking of assuming...

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - ECUGrad07 - 09-29-2017 01:00 PM

I'll just leave this here...

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - Kaplony - 09-29-2017 01:02 PM

(09-29-2017 01:00 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I'll just leave this here...

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: YhKevzB.png]

RE: Hooray for Melania Trump (honestly I'm proud of her) - bullet - 09-29-2017 01:05 PM

(09-29-2017 12:56 PM)VA49er Wrote:  The ONLY reason the books were rejected is because they were donated by a Trump. Sad to see an educator stoop to that level but I guess TDS reaches everywhere.

Anybody willing to use their brain can see that.

The librarian, who won School Library Journal’s hero of family outreach award last month, went on to criticise Trump’s choice of books. “You may not be aware of this, but Dr Seuss is a bit of a cliche, a tired and worn ambassador for children’s literature,” she wrote, adding that “another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes”. According to Phipps Soeiro, Seuss’s artwork in books such as If I Ran a Zoo contains “racist mockery”....

The school district said in a statement: “In this instance, the employee was not authorised to accept or reject donated books on behalf of the school or school district. We have counselled the employee on all relevant policies, including the policy against public resources being used for political purposes.”