CSNbbs
OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years (/thread-828507.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - crex043 - 09-28-2017 11:13 AM

The below article comes from the Chronicle of Higher Education and lays out the last two years of embarrassing U of L history. Good read. Amazingly enough, most of the issues are not related to athletics. This points to a complete lack of institutional integrity.

http://www.chronicle.com/article/It-s-Been-a-Terrible-2-Years/241312

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - dsquare - 09-28-2017 11:28 AM

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/09/28/louisville-basketball-future-brian-bowen-ncaa-recruiting-scandal/711560001/

Yea, i had to laugh when i read this. Trying to spin it like it was a "Bowen" problem. Anybody believe that? LOL

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - bearcatmark - 09-28-2017 11:32 AM

At least they went the classy/clean route with their football coach.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - crex043 - 09-28-2017 11:35 AM

(09-28-2017 11:28 AM)dsquare Wrote:  http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/09/28/louisville-basketball-future-brian-bowen-ncaa-recruiting-scandal/711560001/

Yea, i had to laugh when i read this. Trying to spin it like it was a "Bowen" problem. Anybody believe that? LOL

They said that in the same breath that they admitted there was a second recruit that is under investigation. U of L should have pumped the breaks a long time ago. This behavior probably all started in the mid to late 00's, resulted in the vacated 2013 championship, and is the reason for why they're where they are now.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - Former Lurker - 09-28-2017 11:35 AM

Notice how the problems started at about the time they got too uppity for their long-time arch-rival.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - IULurker - 09-28-2017 11:41 AM

(09-28-2017 11:28 AM)dsquare Wrote:  http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/09/28/louisville-basketball-future-brian-bowen-ncaa-recruiting-scandal/711560001/

No doubt. If a "mere complementary piece" gets $100k, I wonder what the others in the class got?

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - MickMack - 09-28-2017 11:49 AM

(09-28-2017 11:35 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Notice how the problems started at about the time they got too uppity for their long-time arch-rival.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone's fans, but there is some vindication in all of this for us. For years, UL fans wouldn't hesitate to look down their noses at us. They'd sing the vision and accomplishments of their university and, specifically, their AD. And on paper, damn they were right. They'd taken the athletic department to heights few could have imagined in the late 90s when UC and UL had little to separation. Now, as you look back on that separation, it's abundantly clear that it only arose from cheating, scandal, blissful ignorance and a win at all costs mentality.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - applegbt - 09-28-2017 11:55 AM

"We will be looking for someone with integrity."

LOL...ouch.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - dsquare - 09-28-2017 11:56 AM

Does anyone hear think it was a stripper that changed Chane Behanan from Cincy to Lvl?

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - JackieTreehorn - 09-28-2017 12:00 PM

(09-28-2017 11:56 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Does anyone hear think it was a stripper that changed Chane Behanan from Cincy to Lvl?

Maybe a blowup doll stuffed with Benjamins...

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - Bruce Monnin - 09-28-2017 12:19 PM

A man I know in the college academics business always said Louisville was a junior college academically with a major college athletic program grafted onto it.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - BearcatMan - 09-28-2017 12:25 PM

The University accreditation issue is huge...and one that has made it damn near impossible for them to find a replacement for their president. That and the fact that Bevin seems to be on a full-service vendetta against any form of learning in the state 03-lmfao

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - CliftonAve - 09-28-2017 12:33 PM

Apparently Louisville doesn't have a board now either.... both Bevin and Beshear claiming victory in this ruling that came out today.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/28/university-louisville-board-reorganization-bevin-beshear-kentucky-supreme-court/711929001/

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - Bearcat1010 - 09-28-2017 12:34 PM

(09-28-2017 12:25 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  The University accreditation issue is huge...and one that has made it damn near impossible for them to find a replacement for their president. That and the fact that Bevin seems to be on a full-service vendetta against any form of learning in the state 03-lmfao

Accreditation is sort of the whole point.

There were some UC CoE accreditation questions/issues when I was in school. I don't know any details but multiple classes were significantly changed after my class took them. The revised classes were significantly harder and honestly probably actually worthwhile. I'm glad UC addressed the issue rather than taking the UL route of lying and falsifying records.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - OKIcat - 09-28-2017 12:34 PM

(09-28-2017 11:49 AM)MickMack Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 11:35 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Notice how the problems started at about the time they got too uppity for their long-time arch-rival.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone's fans, but there is some vindication in all of this for us. For years, UL fans wouldn't hesitate to look down their noses at us. They'd sing the vision and accomplishments of their university and, specifically, their AD. And on paper, damn they were right. They'd taken the athletic department to heights few could have imagined in the late 90s when UC and UL had little to separation. Now, as you look back on that separation, it's abundantly clear that it only arose from cheating, scandal, blissful ignorance and a win at all costs mentality.

Bolded, I agree with your sentiments on this with one qualification; their university has never come close to UC academically, in research funding, enrollment or endowment. For many years, academic departments there used UC as their benchmark--where they aspired to be.

I also recall a comment from Mick early in his tenure when asked about recruiting for the two schools. He shared that UC feels much more like a university community (Uptown) and more residential. I would compare U of L's setting more to the Mill Creek Valley along I-75.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - MickMack - 09-28-2017 12:40 PM

(09-28-2017 12:34 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 11:49 AM)MickMack Wrote:  

Bolded, I agree with your sentiments on this with one qualification; their university has never come close to UC academically, in research funding, enrollment or endowment. For many years, academic departments there used UC as their benchmark--where they aspired to be.

I also recall a comment from Mick early in his tenure when asked about recruiting for the two schools. He shared that UC feels much more like a university community (Uptown) and more residential. I would compare U of L's setting more to the Mill Creek Valley along I-75.

I completely agree with you. Our success was built with better students and faculty. Their success was built with criminal activity.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - TubaCat - 09-28-2017 02:23 PM

(09-28-2017 12:00 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 11:56 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Does anyone hear think it was a stripper that changed Chane Behanan from Cincy to Lvl?

Or maybe Papa John himself provided some "crust" for Chane to stuff.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - crex043 - 09-28-2017 02:32 PM

(09-28-2017 02:23 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  

That's damn poetic of you.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - bearcatdp - 09-28-2017 02:39 PM

(09-28-2017 02:23 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  

or maybe some dough.

RE: OT - U of Louisville's had a rough couple of years - Bearcats#1 - 09-28-2017 03:21 PM

They should change thier endzone graphic to University-6.....own it