CSNbbs
Still unsettled science - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Still unsettled science (/thread-828396.html)

Still unsettled science - bullet - 09-27-2017 08:54 AM

https://amgreatness.com/2017/09/23/more-unsettled-science-on-climate-change/

Tribe still refuses to admit a significant amount of unsettled science on climate change.

RE: Still unsettled science - stinkfist - 09-27-2017 09:01 AM

modeling based on 'Algor(e)ithms' are only as good as the data as we understand it....

if the data supplied is not constant, then the result will be something akin to pin the fk'n tail on the donk.....

I liken it to football prognosticators that rape the masses.....

Still unsettled science - Dragonlair2.0 - 09-27-2017 10:00 AM

As with almost all modeling

Sh.t in ... sh.t out

RE: Still unsettled science - bullet - 09-27-2017 10:15 AM

And if you understand what happens with modeling, a lot of times the model is adjusted to deliver the desired result.

RE: Still unsettled science - Attackcoog - 09-27-2017 10:27 AM

(09-27-2017 10:15 AM)bullet Wrote:  And if you understand what happens with modeling, a lot of times the model is adjusted to deliver the desired result.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

The only way to get the results they want is to "adjust" the data. Micheal Crightons book "State of Fear" is very interesting when it comes to this topic. Once you delve into the many factors that affect the raw data, you realize the likelihood the models being used are even remotely reliable is incredibly unlikely.

RE: Still unsettled science - hawghiggs - 09-27-2017 10:35 AM

My problem with Global warming isn't with whether or not we are having an impact on the environment. I accept that we are. Any reasonable person can look around and see we have built great cities made up of concrete and asphalt. Cities have a host of environmental issues. My problem is that I haven't ever really heard of any real world solutions that can make a difference. Shouldn't we be trying to change deserts into grasslands? How about more freshwater lakes. Or how about building giant saltwater lakes in deserts.

RE: Still unsettled science - Attackcoog - 09-27-2017 10:50 AM

(09-27-2017 10:35 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  My problem with Global warming isn't with whether or not we are having an impact on the environment. I accept that we are. Any reasonable person can look around and see we have built great cities made up of concrete and asphalt. Cities have a host of environmental issues. My problem is that I haven't ever really heard of any real world solutions that can make a difference. Shouldn't we be trying to change deserts into grasslands? How about more freshwater lakes. Or how about building giant saltwater lakes in deserts.

Im similar. Assuming there is warming (which is not even certain), then I think humans are probably contributing to the issue---I just think the human contribution is actually far smaller than claimed and the huge cost associated with eliminating it is not really worth the minimal difference it will make in warming. In other words, I suspect the vast majority of any warming is due to other cyclical factors that we have no control over.

RE: Still unsettled science - Fo Shizzle - 09-27-2017 11:20 AM

(09-27-2017 10:50 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 10:35 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  My problem with Global warming isn't with whether or not we are having an impact on the environment. I accept that we are. Any reasonable person can look around and see we have built great cities made up of concrete and asphalt. Cities have a host of environmental issues. My problem is that I haven't ever really heard of any real world solutions that can make a difference. Shouldn't we be trying to change deserts into grasslands? How about more freshwater lakes. Or how about building giant saltwater lakes in deserts.

Im similar. Assuming there is warming (which is not even certain), then I think humans are probably contributing to the issue---I just think the human contribution is actually far smaller than claimed and the huge cost associated with eliminating it is not really worth the minimal difference it will make in warming. In other words, I suspect the vast majority of any warming is due to other cyclical factors that we have no control over.

Same here. Do I believe human activity has an impact?...yes. Do I believe it it the major cause?...No. Do I believe in clean air and water?...Absolutely. THIS is what the environmentalists should be concentrating on. Clean air initiatives BTW accomplish the exact same goals that the global warming alarmists are seeking without the constant controversy.

RE: Still unsettled science - UofMTigerTim - 09-27-2017 11:41 AM

(09-27-2017 11:20 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Same here. Do I believe human activity has an impact?...yes. Do I believe it it the major cause?...No. Do I believe in clean air and water?...Absolutely. THIS is what the environmentalists should be concentrating on. Clean air initiatives BTW accomplish the exact same goals that the global warming alarmists are seeking without the constant controversy.

Totally agree.

RE: Still unsettled science - Ohio Poly - 09-27-2017 01:25 PM

Real world solution --> Stop emitting greenhouse gases

RE: Still unsettled science - GeorgeBorkFan - 09-27-2017 01:26 PM

(09-27-2017 01:25 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  

Not a real world solution. Sounds nice on a bumper sticker though.

RE: Still unsettled science - Crebman - 09-27-2017 02:36 PM

(09-27-2017 01:26 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

No kidding. Might as well say - Start living in the dark and put on more layers of clothes with no heat during winter......

RE: Still unsettled science - bullet - 09-27-2017 05:33 PM

(09-27-2017 02:36 PM)Crebman Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 01:26 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

No kidding. Might as well say - Start living in the dark and put on more layers of clothes with no heat during winter......

The Texas bumper sticker from the 70s, "Let those Yankee b#$!@*&^%*s freeze in the dark."

RE: Still unsettled science - bullet - 09-27-2017 05:40 PM

(09-27-2017 11:20 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

1) Is the earth in a long term warming trend? Yes. That seems pretty clear.
2) How much of a warming trend is it? Very unclear.
3) How much are humans contributing to it? That is very unclear. It could be from zero to 150%.
4) What are the proper solutions if 1) is yes and 2) and 3) are significant?
Its pretty clear we need to keep the economy strong to deal with dislocations and try not to encourage coastal development. The solutions proposed by the climate change cult do the opposite of both of those and do little to control carbon emissions as they let the 3rd world do what they want.

Anyone who questions any of the cults answers to 1), 2) 3) OR 4) is called a "denier." And their solutions to 4) show that they are a mindless cult who is not truly serious about the issue.

RE: Still unsettled science - stinkfist - 09-27-2017 06:07 PM

you'd rather it be this???

[Image: 5826_scotjohns_6efa96b2-e887-4031-8597-1fe2004b7655.png]

that's intelligent....

pseudo intellectual whackjobbers w/o a fk'n clue.....I can't laugh at yaz hard enough....

at least someone got the pollution portion correct......

jfc at all this stupid bs.....

RE: Still unsettled science - Ohio Poly - 09-27-2017 08:10 PM

"http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112938_california-mulls-ban-on-new-cars-with-engines-joining-china-in-climate-action"

RE: Still unsettled science - Attackcoog - 09-28-2017 01:19 PM

(09-27-2017 08:10 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  "http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112938_california-mulls-ban-on-new-cars-with-engines-joining-china-in-climate-action"

California is free to do what thier people wish. They should raise the corporate tax as well to really stick it to those dirty polluting evil corporations. The more expensive they make it to live and conduct business there---the better it is for the other 49 states.

RE: Still unsettled science - Machiavelli - 09-28-2017 02:57 PM

You just wonder about the collective IQ of the global warming deniers? Think it reaches 90? I get the cost benefit analysis part of the argument. I get the states who are fossil fuel exporters and the loss to their GDP, but to say it isn't happening? They have the mind of a 5th grader.

RE: Still unsettled science - hawghiggs - 09-28-2017 03:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazVrq9v1mE

This is what I mean by real world solutions. Why aren't we trying to do projects like the one above.