CSNbbs
Puerto Rico - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Puerto Rico (/thread-828307.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Puerto Rico - Kaplony - 09-30-2017 11:49 PM

(09-30-2017 11:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 07:08 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  There are these things called helicopters that can get into the remote areas. They've been around for a while. This is a completely unique situation, no one has faced this before.

So how do you get them to Puerto Rico?

One of the other disaster response experts on the board already said aircraft carriers.

Have yet to see his response when I asked where the closest available aircraft carrier was though.

RE: Puerto Rico - Kronke - 10-01-2017 01:03 AM

Tweet spreading hysterical fake news: 9,600+ RTs. Tweet retracting fake news: 263 RTs.

[Image: DLBHyDfWsAATWkA.jpg]

[Image: DLBHy9nXoAAoCMU.jpg]

RE: Puerto Rico - solohawks - 10-01-2017 06:25 AM

#fitfail by krugers

RE: Puerto Rico - Fort Bend Owl - 10-01-2017 07:00 AM

Death toll still just 16 at the moment, which strikes me as a very low total considering only 5 percent of the country has electricity. One of my brothers re-tweeted out a tweet that claimed all the critical patients in one hospital's ER have died, but I doubt that one is true either.

I do think that the minority vote and turnout will be significant in 2020 as a result of the media's constant coverage of events like this and the NFL anthem controversy. It may not matter in 2018 elections, or other non-presidential ones, but I think it will create a record turnout in November, 2020. He tweeted 18 times on Puerto Rico alone yesterday so you know the media is driving Trump and his ego mad.

RE: Puerto Rico - DavidSt - 10-01-2017 08:06 AM

(10-01-2017 07:00 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Death toll still just 16 at the moment, which strikes me as a very low total considering only 5 percent of the country has electricity. One of my brothers re-tweeted out a tweet that claimed all the critical patients in one hospital's ER have died, but I doubt that one is true either.

I do think that the minority vote and turnout will be significant in 2020 as a result of the media's constant coverage of events like this and the NFL anthem controversy. It may not matter in 2018 elections, or other non-presidential ones, but I think it will create a record turnout in November, 2020. He tweeted 18 times on Puerto Rico alone yesterday so you know the media is driving Trump and his ego mad.

Trump needs to lay off the mayor of San Juan. She is also in the shelter because her house was damage. She does have the right to be frustrated.

RE: Puerto Rico - solohawks - 10-01-2017 08:26 AM

Her t shirt maker is still up and running though

RE: Puerto Rico - swagsurfer11 - 10-01-2017 08:40 AM

(09-30-2017 11:49 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 07:08 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  There are these things called helicopters that can get into the remote areas. They've been around for a while. This is a completely unique situation, no one has faced this before.

One of the other disaster response experts on the board already said aircraft carriers.

Have yet to see his response when I asked where the closest available aircraft carrier was though.

Not a priority, got it.

Let's get back to the NFL. Are we watching or nah?

RE: Puerto Rico - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-01-2017 08:44 AM

(10-01-2017 07:00 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Death toll still just 16 at the moment, which strikes me as a very low total considering only 5 percent of the country has electricity. One of my brothers re-tweeted out a tweet that claimed all the critical patients in one hospital's ER have died, but I doubt that one is true either.

I would think the death toll is so low at this point because they really don't have access to a lot of the island. I would expect that it would climb significantly once they restore transportation and communication across the island.

Trump infuriates me with his penchant for picking stupid fights.

RE: Puerto Rico - TomorrowHerd - 10-01-2017 08:49 AM

Funny, I don't remember Krugman all that upset about the disease outbreaks caused by groups of un-vaccinated foreigners who have swept over our borders the last decade.

RE: Puerto Rico - TomorrowHerd - 10-01-2017 08:52 AM

Funny, I don't remember Krugman all that upset about the disease outbreaks caused by groups of unhealthy and un-vaccinated foreigners who have swept over our borders the last decade.

RE: Puerto Rico - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-01-2017 09:02 AM

(10-01-2017 08:40 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 11:49 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
Not a priority, got it.

So you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Quote:Let's get back to the NFL. Are we watching or nah?

Haven't watched for years, so probably not. Some years I watch the Super Bowl, mostly not. I find NFL football boring.

RE: Puerto Rico - Fo Shizzle - 10-01-2017 09:09 AM

Blaming any of this on anything but a hurricane is absurd. Ive been through hurricanes and the aftermaths 2 times without power for more than a week. Just getting it back on is a giant undertaking in the US where we have the resources to stage outside of the storms path and then bring in quickly. Now think how hard that would be on a damn Island. You simply can not prepare for something like this adequately and the response is going to be fragmented due to the logistics and amount of damage. Compound this with the fact that we are still in the midst of dealing 2 disasters on our mainland..and you have a recipe for major problems.
IMHO the US is doing all it could be expected to do under the circumstances.

Can we do better?...Probably. After this is cleaned up and back to some level of normalcy we should sit down and rework disaster plans for the PR based upon this storm. Now is not the time to point fingers. Now is the time to get as much help as possible to them as quickly and safely as we can. We can discuss what worked..and what did not...after the crisis is over.

RE: Puerto Rico - Fo Shizzle - 10-01-2017 09:18 AM

Im wondering if some type of mobile cell tower system could be developed(or already exists) that could be brought in cases like PR where the infrastructure has been destroyed. Maybe all cell phones could be adapted to be able to work off of this type of temporary tower in disasters? Also...If you live in a place like the PR where the electric grid is sketchy the cell phone carriers could add a solar charger to each unit when sold. One of my wife's workers is in the PR now with his family. He actually flew in to be with his parents during the storm. They are all fine due to the home being solely built of concrete. He was able to communicate finally two days ago due to having a solar cell phone charger.

RE: Puerto Rico - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-01-2017 09:32 AM

I cannot verify the following, because it's from a Facebook post, but the poster is generally reliable, and this sounds about right:

What ACTUALLY is happening to help in Puerto Rico, DESPITE what the media might tell you:
US Navy/Marine Corps Assets currently on station, or enroute to the Caribbean AOR:
26th Marine Expeditionary Unit with Battalion Landing Team 2/6
Carrier USS Abraham Lincoln Battle Group
Amphibious Assault Ship USS Wasp
Amphibious Assault Ship USS Iwo Jima
Amphibious Assault Ship USS Kearsarge
Amphibious Transport Dock USS New York
Amphibious Landing Ship USS Oak Hill
Hospital Ship USNS Comfort
Aviation Logistics Support Ship USNS Wright
Dry Cargo Ship USNS William McLean
The above is enough assets to land an entire USMC Marine Expeditionary Brigade, with combat logistics elements. For those that don't know what that is, thats several thousand Marines, with all their gear. All of the above, with the exception of the hospital ship, are capable of independent air operations.
Note: MEDEVACs are ALREADY being done, and began IMMEDIATELY by the US Coast Guard, and US Navy aviation.

For those not aware, this is truly a massive undertaking, particularly with two other major disasters currently being addressed. Wasp, Iwo Jima, and Kearsarge are particularly important because they can operate lots of helicopters of various sizes and the have extensive medical facilities onboard.

RE: Puerto Rico - Ohio Poly - 10-01-2017 10:07 AM

Wow, all those navy ships should be able to keep Venezuela from invading PR for the time being. Is there any chance we will see any helicopters delivering relief inland any time soon?

RE: Puerto Rico - Attackcoog - 10-01-2017 10:32 AM

(10-01-2017 10:07 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Wow, all those navy ships should be able to keep Venezuela from invading PR for the time being. Is there any chance we will see any helicopters delivering relief inland any time soon?

You think they are there to go fishing and scuba diving? The problem is there is no ground transportation. The supplies are in PR at the port. The problem is the supplies need to be pushed out to the 3 million inhabitants entirely by helicopter. How long do you think an army of 3 million men would last if it had to supplied entirely by helicopter lift? The answer is "not long". The first key is reopening the roadways for truck deliveries.

RE: Puerto Rico - SuperFlyBCat - 10-01-2017 10:56 AM

(10-01-2017 09:18 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Im wondering if some type of mobile cell tower system could be developed(or already exists) that could be brought in cases like PR where the infrastructure has been destroyed. Maybe all cell phones could be adapted to be able to work off of this type of temporary tower in disasters? Also...If you live in a place like the PR where the electric grid is sketchy the cell phone carriers could add a solar charger to each unit when sold. One of my wife's workers is in the PR now with his family. He actually flew in to be with his parents during the storm. They are all fine due to the home being solely built of concrete. He was able to communicate finally two days ago due to having a solar cell phone charger.

Mobile Emergency Response Support (MERS)[edit]

FEMA vehicle provides communications support after a major hurricane.
These teams provide communications support to local public safety. For instance, they may operate a truck with satellite uplink, computers, telephone and power generation at a staging area near a disaster so that the responders can communicate with the outside world. There are also Mobile Air Transportable Telecommunications System (MATTS) assets which can be airlifted in. Also portable cellphone towers can be erected to allow local responders to access telephone systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Emergency_Management_Agency

RE: Puerto Rico - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-01-2017 11:11 AM

(10-01-2017 10:07 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Wow, all those navy ships should be able to keep Venezuela from invading PR for the time being. Is there any chance we will see any helicopters delivering relief inland any time soon?

We've seen them already. Photos of them have been posted either here or on the other PR thread. But as Attackcoog correctly noted, helicopters have a vey limited lift capacity, and we are talking about an island of 3.5 million. Helos will have some impact, and are, but the max effect won't happen until we have roads and port facilities.

As for the snide comment about navy resources, exactly what resources would you use instead. Humanitarian relief efforts are a secondary mission for all amphibs. We did some of that when I was on the LST.

RE: Puerto Rico - bubbapt - 10-01-2017 11:22 AM

Whoever started this post has never done business in Puerto Rice.

The Teamsters are holding the territory hostage in order to coax concessions. Nothing will move unless their demands are met.

If you would like Mr Trump to pay them off, then all the aid at the ports will move.

RE: Puerto Rico - Attackcoog - 10-01-2017 01:04 PM

(10-01-2017 11:22 AM)bubbapt Wrote:  Whoever started this post has never done business in Puerto Rice.

The Teamsters are holding the territory hostage in order to coax concessions. Nothing will move unless their demands are met.

If you would like Mr Trump to pay them off, then all the aid at the ports will move.

I dont know anything about that but I know a lady who's husband works for an oil company driving a tanker trunk. He was in Houston, then he was moved to Florida for the hurricane. They have asked him to go to PR. They had to measure his truck (so I guess they plan to transport the truck too---hadnt thought of that--there may have alot of damaged semi-trucks there) and they asked if he owned a gun. They told him if he owned a gun he should take it. lol...He refused to go after they asked about the gun. Take that for what its worth--but it sounds like things are a bit sketchy there.