CSNbbs
Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) (/thread-828303.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - olderduke - 09-26-2017 08:47 AM

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/college-sports/2017/09/85885/several-ncaa-assistant-basketball-coaches-arrested-in-corruption-scandal

The press release from the DOJ states:

There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball. Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - DBJMU2006 - 09-26-2017 08:51 AM

The NCAA is so mad at UNC that App State is gonna lose their coach?

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - AssyrianDuke - 09-26-2017 09:14 AM

FBI arrested several coaches and at least one Adidas top executive on corruption and bribery charges. This is more than UNC having fake classes.

"The FBI claims Jim Gatto — the Director of Global Marketing for Adidas Basketball — paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to funnel top prospects to Adidas sponsored colleges … including Louisville.

The FBI says 4 NCAA coaches were also arrested as part of the investigation — including Auburn coach Chuck Person. Oklahoma State coach Lamont Evans was also arrested. USC assistant coach Tony Bland was also arrested."

Sorry. Forgot to post my link. I ain't going down on plagiarism charges! https://hotair.com/archives/2017/09/26/breaking-fbi-rounds-ncaa-assistant-coaches-corruption-probe/

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - DBJMU2006 - 09-26-2017 09:24 AM

The shoe-sponsored AAU basketball teams and summer AAU circuit tournaments funneling HS prospects to universities sponsored by the same shoe companies has always raised a red flag to me.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - Wear Purple - 09-26-2017 09:41 AM

(09-26-2017 09:24 AM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  The shoe-sponsored AAU basketball teams and summer AAU circuit tournaments funneling HS prospects to universities sponsored by the same shoe companies has always raised a red flag to me.

Yep. Having coached (both male and female), refereed, been a parent of two who played, and served on local board for AAU hoops for over 20 years, it is very sad that like many things in this world, it is the 5% of bad that gives a bad rap for the 95% of good that goes on. There are some shady people dealing with the very high levels (5%) of AAU hoops.

Meanwhile, the 95% of good that goes on never gets noticed or appreciated. That is, kids having fun with their friends and families, staying out of trouble and off streets, improving their skills, etc. Kind of hard to get into trouble when playing ball in tournaments over many weekends. Same applies to other sports of course.

I hope they dig deeper and broadly across multiple sports. There is likely a LOT more to be found in terms of corruption. Clean it up. Been going on for far too long.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - Centdukesfan - 09-26-2017 09:49 AM

i wonder if keatts is involved

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - PurpleStreamers - 09-26-2017 10:30 AM

Let's just hope it doesn't become JMU-related. For now, really glad we're a Nike school.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - DBJMU2006 - 09-26-2017 10:43 AM

No way. This is for the big time cheaters that pay recruits. We're not paying 150k for a recruit

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - jmufan2008 - 09-26-2017 10:52 AM

(09-26-2017 10:30 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  Let's just hope it doesn't become JMU-related. For now, really glad we're a Nike school.

If we were bribing coaches to send recruits our way and we were still this terrible...

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - AssyrianDuke - 09-26-2017 11:54 AM

Considering our lack of success in the past decade-plus in basketball, after the NCAA sorts this mess out, we might be the best non-cheating school left 03-lol How crazy would it be if they awarded that Matt Brady NCAA team the championship after all the vacating? It's like in cycling how the 21st place guy is officially the winner of the Tour de France! Time to hang up the banner!!!

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - orange-to-purple - 09-26-2017 12:17 PM

This is gonna get interesting, but I think JMU can sit on the sidelines, buff our nails, and watch. It's mostly going to be about big-time programs in the men's game, I predict, and may even result in the death penalty for one or two of them (it should, IMNSHO). If the charges are true, it ought to result in prison for a select few low-level coaches, advisors, and Adidas execs but probably won't....however, it may have the effect of getting them the hell away from the NCAA, and may even get a few top coaches out of the NCAA. What it might do to AAU BB, both boys and girls, is another story entirely.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - DBJMU2006 - 09-26-2017 12:25 PM

Keep in mind this is an FBI investigation, not an NCAA one. There is going to be a lot more punishment for these crimes.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - olddawg - 09-26-2017 12:46 PM

(09-26-2017 10:52 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  
(09-26-2017 10:30 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  Let's just hope it doesn't become JMU-related. For now, really glad we're a Nike school.

If we were bribing coaches to send recruits our way and we were still this terrible...

Haha...was thinking the same thing. Can't help but wonder how this knucklehead from Adidas could possibly think this would stay a secret? Never ceases to amaze me how some people rise to their positions.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - jmufan2008 - 09-26-2017 12:54 PM

(09-26-2017 12:25 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  Keep in mind this is an FBI investigation, not an NCAA one. There is going to be a lot more punishment for these crimes.

Yeah, this isn't probation, loss of a few schollies, and some recruitment penalties. This is probably jail time and/or very large fines for those involved. The NCAA may hand down additional punishments to the schools and coaches, but this is much bigger than just an NCAA punishment.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - Dukie95 - 09-26-2017 12:57 PM

Sorry, but what's the crime here? Not reporting income?

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - DBJMU2006 - 09-26-2017 01:04 PM

pretty much

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - jmu98 - 09-26-2017 01:06 PM

(09-26-2017 12:57 PM)Dukie95 Wrote:  Sorry, but what's the crime here? Not reporting income?

Wire fraud, mail fraud, misappropriation of funds, bribery.

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - Wear Purple - 09-26-2017 02:05 PM

https://www.diehards.com/miami/miami-releases-official-statement-response-fbi-indictment

Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - JMU85 - 09-26-2017 02:59 PM

(09-26-2017 10:43 AM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  No way. This is for the big time cheaters that pay recruits. We're not paying 150k for a recruit

Or a coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Interesting Basketball News (Not JMU-related) - RamDawg - 09-26-2017 05:03 PM

My first, maybe second thought was Coach Dean going into the Auburn job in that kind of environment. It's limited to basketball but I would think this sort of thing could have some sort of impact on the other athletic programs. But then again, it's no secret Auburn is one of the most "penalized" programs in NCAA history.