CSNbbs
2017 basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 basketball (/thread-827497.html)

RE: 2017 basketball - Gilesfan - 12-17-2017 02:19 PM

Dude, what are you talking about?

RE: 2017 basketball - Nukesquad - 12-17-2017 05:04 PM

The current state of our scheduling, whether we like it or not, is that we'll play 14-16 home games. Half of these home games are conference games that ODU doesn't control. For the others, who's wants to come play us? There is currently no P5 school who wants to come into Norfolk, not even for a home-and-home. Now there are many who would schedule us if we only came to them. In that case we're back to the "why aren't I seeing 'real' games at the Ted?".

RE: 2017 basketball - Old Dominion - 12-17-2017 06:03 PM

Why does it have to be a P5? I'd be happy with any number of A-10, AAC or even MAC teams come in.

RE: 2017 basketball - Gilesfan - 12-17-2017 06:23 PM

We have played 3 A-10 teams, 3 CAA teams, and an AAC, Missouri Valley, and a MAC team out of 11 games.

RE: 2017 basketball - Old Dominion - 12-17-2017 06:43 PM

Wow, just realized of the 11 OOC games, only 4 are at home and of those 4, 2 are MEAC's. That's pretty lame.

RE: 2017 basketball - AdoptedMonarch - 12-17-2017 06:45 PM

Didn't St. Bonaventure cancel on us this year. And isn't Fairfield the replacement for that lost series?

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 12-17-2017 07:28 PM

(12-17-2017 09:40 AM)jasdf Wrote:  6 posts in a row in response to 1 post, yet none of the 6 actually contained a rebuttal...Just a ribbing about caps use. And these responses coming from some of the posters who openly detest posts void of content, yet here they are, content-less themselves. Comical at best.
+a lot

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

RE: 2017 basketball - Blue_Trombone - 12-17-2017 10:25 PM

(12-17-2017 06:43 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Wow, just realized of the 11 OOC games, only 4 are at home and of those 4, 2 are MEAC's. That's pretty lame.

....?

Towson - CAA
UMES - MEAC
Richmond - A10
BGSU - MAC
NSU (scope) - MEAC

RE: 2017 basketball - ODUCoach - 12-17-2017 10:39 PM

(12-17-2017 06:03 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Why does it have to be a P5? I'd be happy with any number of A-10, AAC or even MAC teams come in.

(12-17-2017 06:45 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Didn't St. Bonaventure cancel on us this year. And isn't Fairfield the replacement for that lost series?

Yes. The Bonnie’s would have been an excellent game at home, but they bailed on us late in the process.

Believe me, I’d love to see ACC and SEC teams rolling into the Ted, but none of those teams are picking up the phone when Jeff calls.

RE: 2017 basketball - The Doctor Is In - 12-17-2017 10:52 PM

(12-17-2017 10:39 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(12-17-2017 06:03 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Why does it have to be a P5? I'd be happy with any number of A-10, AAC or even MAC teams come in.

(12-17-2017 06:45 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Didn't St. Bonaventure cancel on us this year. And isn't Fairfield the replacement for that lost series?

Yes. The Bonnie’s would have been an excellent game at home, but they bailed on us late in the process.

Believe me, I’d love to see ACC and SEC teams rolling into the Ted, but none of those teams are picking up the phone when Jeff calls.

Jeff has to share THE athletics dept.cell phone with the rest of the athletics dept. staff...

2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 12-18-2017 12:00 AM

Not trying to take a shot at anybody, but was wondering if anyone knows what the story with Shannon Evans was. How did he end up at Buffalo? Were we recruiting him? If so, does anyone know why we didn't get him. If he had come to ODU, and his career had progressed the way it has, he could have been a program changer, especially when you consider he would have been playing alongside Freeman for a couple years.

RE: 2017 basketball - blewbyu - 12-18-2017 07:13 AM

I see a lot of talk about playing Huett and Godwin. JJ wants to play them and will before the year is out. The Wake Forest transfer is rehabbing well and there is a good possibility he will join the team sometime by the end of Jan. or first part of Feb.

RE: 2017 basketball - Obiwan - 12-18-2017 07:32 AM

(12-18-2017 07:13 AM)blewbyu Wrote:  I see a lot of talk about playing Huett and Godwin. JJ wants to play them and will before the year is out. The Wake Forest transfer is rehabbing well and there is a good possibility he will join the team sometime by the end of Jan. or first part of Feb.

Thanks for sharing - I thought for sure the transfer was out for the year . This is encouraging and perhaps timely as we prepare for the conference tourney .

RE: 2017 basketball - Mr.BigBlue - 12-18-2017 07:43 AM

(12-18-2017 07:32 AM)Obiwan Wrote:  
(12-18-2017 07:13 AM)blewbyu Wrote:  I see a lot of talk about playing Huett and Godwin. JJ wants to play them and will before the year is out. The Wake Forest transfer is rehabbing well and there is a good possibility he will join the team sometime by the end of Jan. or first part of Feb.

Thanks for sharing - I thought for sure the transfer was out for the year . This is encouraging and perhaps timely as we prepare for the conference tourney .

Great News but everyone should temper their expectations. 1. he will be very limited because it will take time to get back to game confidence, condition, and strength. 2. He will behind understanding the offense and defense schemes.. 3. This says unfortunately they know he will not be given a 6th year. I hope he can return to some level of effectiveness, but don't expect him to provide effective minutes. That is not fair to him.

RE: 2017 basketball - ODU BBALL - 12-18-2017 09:19 AM

(12-18-2017 07:43 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

Great News but everyone should temper their expectations. 1. he will be very limited because it will take time to get back to game confidence, condition, and strength. 2. He will behind understanding the offense and defense schemes.. 3. This says unfortunately they know he will not be given a 6th year. I hope he can return to some level of effectiveness, but don't expect him to provide effective minutes. That is not fair to him.

I agree with your comments.

RE: 2017 basketball - ODUCoach - 12-18-2017 09:39 AM

(12-18-2017 12:00 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Not trying to take a shot at anybody, but was wondering if anyone knows what the story with Shannon Evans was. How did he end up at Buffalo? Were we recruiting him? If so, does anyone know why we didn't get him. If he had come to ODU, and his career had progressed the way it has, he could have been a program changer, especially when you consider he would have been playing alongside Freeman for a couple years.

Evans was not highly recruited at all coming out of Nansemond River. From what I remember, he was undersized, especially early in his high school career, and may have had some trouble academically early. I think the post-grad year at Hargrave really helped him with discipline in and out of the classroom. From what I remember, he had offers from the likes of Gardner Webb, App State, Morehead State, and that's about it. The offer from Buffalo was the best offer he had, by far, especially given the uptempo game they play, which suits Shannon's style pretty well.

RE: 2017 basketball - ODUBB35 - 12-18-2017 11:09 AM

(12-18-2017 07:43 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

He would be a valuable addition if he can just give Brandon and Porter a rest along with Carver.

RE: 2017 basketball - Gilesfan - 12-18-2017 11:13 AM

(12-18-2017 09:39 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(12-18-2017 12:00 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Not trying to take a shot at anybody, but was wondering if anyone knows what the story with Shannon Evans was. How did he end up at Buffalo? Were we recruiting him? If so, does anyone know why we didn't get him. If he had come to ODU, and his career had progressed the way it has, he could have been a program changer, especially when you consider he would have been playing alongside Freeman for a couple years.

Evans was not highly recruited at all coming out of Nansemond River. From what I remember, he was undersized, especially early in his high school career, and may have had some trouble academically early. I think the post-grad year at Hargrave really helped him with discipline in and out of the classroom. From what I remember, he had offers from the likes of Gardner Webb, App State, Morehead State, and that's about it. The offer from Buffalo was the best offer he had, by far, especially given the uptempo game they play, which suits Shannon's style pretty well.

Good example of a player not being ready to play at a level and finally having the switch turn on for him. Terrible freshman year, solid sophmore year; moved up to ASU and was pretty bad last year and is now playing like an all american this year.

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 12-18-2017 11:40 AM

(12-18-2017 11:13 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Good example of a player not being ready to play at a level and finally having the switch turn on for him. Terrible freshman year, solid sophmore year; moved up to ASU and was pretty bad last year and is now playing like an all american this year.

He was so bad as a freshman and sophomore that his coach took him with him to a P5 program. Makes sense.

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 12-18-2017 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info.