CSNbbs
2017 basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 basketball (/thread-827497.html)

RE: 2017 basketball - ODUCoach - 11-08-2017 10:02 AM

Here's another preview. Check out who is listed at #1.

http://three-man-weave.com/3mw/2017/10/7/conference-usa-preview-2017-18

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchist13 - 11-08-2017 10:07 AM

That prediction would mean a lot more if the writer knew McClinton was injured.

RE: 2017 basketball - Gilesfan - 11-08-2017 10:22 AM

(11-08-2017 09:15 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I am not sure why some of you are so surprised. This is the perception of our program on a national level. While it may not be accurate, it is still important to have a realistic look at how the basketball world perceives us. I would argue that some people on this board have a far more distorted perception of the current state of ODU basketball that these writers.

No one percieves this program to be 190th in the country. Find me some support that nationally, people think we are bottom half of CUSA.

RE: 2017 basketball - ETSUDB8-79 - 11-08-2017 10:26 AM

(11-08-2017 10:02 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Here's another preview. Check out who is listed at #1.

+ 1, Nice, hope they are right.

RE: 2017 basketball - mturn017 - 11-08-2017 11:15 AM

(11-08-2017 09:26 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 09:15 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I am not sure why some of you are so surprised. This is the perception of our program on a national level. While it may not be accurate, it is still important to have a realistic look at how the basketball world perceives us. I would argue that some people on this board have a far more distorted perception of the current state of ODU basketball that these writers.

How is this the national view of ODU basketball? We beat Richmond last year, should have beat VCU. George Mason hadn't won more than 11 games in the past 4 years before last year. Liberty won 21 games in the Big South and 3 of their wins were against DIII schools. It took me five min to look that up. This writer did no research, its is not the current state of ODU basketball because every ranking that I have seen up to this point has ODU better than every school in VA except VT, UVA and are right behind VCU in most rankings. You have no idea what you are talking about and neither does this writer.

Yeah it's BS. Hell, I'd hope we'd be perceived to be better than Liberty even if it weren't tru.

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 11-08-2017 12:08 PM

How is this the national view of ODU basketball? We beat Richmond last year, should have beat VCU. George Mason hadn't won more than 11 games in the past 4 years before last year. Liberty won 21 games in the Big South and 3 of their wins were against DIII schools. It took me five min to look that up. This writer did no research, its is not the current state of ODU basketball because every ranking that I have seen up to this point has ODU better than every school in VA except VT, UVA and are right behind VCU in most rankings. You have no idea what you are talking about and neither does this writer.
Because our conference is much worse than you think, our exposure is awful, and we haven't won a single game that would be not able nationally in a long time. Why would you expect our profile to be respected on a national scale?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 11-08-2017 12:11 PM

(11-08-2017 11:15 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Yeah it's BS. Hell, I'd hope we'd be perceived to be better than Liberty even if it weren't tru.
That is my entire point. Of course we are likely better than Liberty. The problem is that national media lumps us in with Big South schools rather than A10 schools. It just is what it is, but those of you who deny it are just unwilling to take an objective look at what our current profile looks like to people across the country.

RE: 2017 basketball - Gilesfan - 11-08-2017 12:12 PM

(11-08-2017 12:11 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

That is my entire point. Of course we are likely better than Liberty. The problem is that national media lumps us in with Big South schools rather than A10 schools. It just is what it is, but those of you who deny it are just unwilling to take an objective look at what our current profile looks like to people across the country.

Can you name anyone besides Norlander that lumps ODU with Big South schools?

RE: 2017 basketball - cmett003 - 11-08-2017 12:15 PM

(11-08-2017 12:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

04-bow

Thank you. Monarchblue thinks this 1 fool is the entire national media. There have been many other rankings/listings that say say otherwise

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 11-08-2017 01:43 PM

(11-08-2017 12:15 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 12:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 09:26 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  How is this the national view of ODU basketball? We beat Richmond last year, should have beat VCU. George Mason hadn't won more than 11 games in the past 4 years before last year. Liberty won 21 games in the Big South and 3 of their wins were against DIII schools. It took me five min to look that up. This writer did no research, its is not the current state of ODU basketball because every ranking that I have seen up to this point has ODU better than every school in VA except VT, UVA and are right behind VCU in most rankings. You have no idea what you are talking about and neither does this writer.

04-bow

Thank you. Monarchblue thinks this 1 fool is the entire national media. There have been many other rankings/listings that say say otherwise

The amount of TV coverage we get would seem to align with the idea that nobody in the national media has remotely the same level of respect for our program that you do as well. Let's face it, we are fully off the map, and it only took 5 or 6 years. If we manage to make the NCAAT, you will see how much they respect us when we get a 15 seed too. My what a bad decision or two can do to a proud program at the mid major level.

RE: 2017 basketball - Cyniclone - 11-08-2017 02:08 PM

I wonder if Liberty's ranking is informed by how they beat the brakes off VCU in the hurricane charity game. Not that exhibitions mean squat but Liberty was bringing a lot back from a decent team, so perhaps that's what drove him. I don't think Liberty is better than ODU either, just offering a possible explaination.

Maybe he can be persuaded to change his rankings. Given that he called them VPI, I suspect three bags of Werther's and the complete Murder She Wrote on VHS should do it.

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchist13 - 11-08-2017 02:13 PM

(11-08-2017 02:08 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I wonder if Liberty's ranking is informed by how they beat the brakes off VCU in the hurricane charity game. Not that exhibitions mean squat but Liberty was bringing a lot back from a decent team, so perhaps that's what drove him. I don't think Liberty is better than ODU either, just offering a possible explaination.

Maybe he can be persuaded to change his rankings. Given that he called them VPI, I suspect three bags of Werther's and the complete Murder She Wrote on VHS should do it.

Funny, Norlander is maybe 35. But even that is probably aging him more than necessary.

RE: 2017 basketball - Cyniclone - 11-08-2017 02:41 PM

(11-08-2017 02:13 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 02:08 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I wonder if Liberty's ranking is informed by how they beat the brakes off VCU in the hurricane charity game. Not that exhibitions mean squat but Liberty was bringing a lot back from a decent team, so perhaps that's what drove him. I don't think Liberty is better than ODU either, just offering a possible explaination.

Funny, Norlander is maybe 35. But even that is probably aging him more than necessary.

Huh. Then he's either a hipster or an old soul. Both of whom would appreciate Murder She Wrote, if for dramatically different reasons.

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchist13 - 11-08-2017 02:49 PM

(11-08-2017 02:41 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 02:13 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Huh. Then he's either a hipster or an old soul. Both of whom would appreciate Murder She Wrote, if for dramatically different reasons.

As someone who uses the full acronym (Vippy Sue!) and is younger than Norlander, I will pass on both the show and werthers. If you're going to use geriatric bribes, give me Matlock and raisinets.

RE: 2017 basketball - ODU AGGIE - 11-08-2017 03:44 PM

(11-08-2017 10:02 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Here's another preview. Check out who is listed at #1.

And check out who is Coach of the Year!

RE: 2017 basketball - jumpshooter - 11-08-2017 03:46 PM

If they win the conference, I'd say that would be deserved.

RE: 2017 basketball - Razor Ramon Monarch - 11-08-2017 04:32 PM

Didn't we lose to W&M last year?

Liberty is better than W&M, some of you guys are absolute space cadets.

At absolute best we are 5th in the state but a solid case for 7th could be made.

But I'm sure Giles will have a "convincing" argument for why we are number 1 lol.

Sad part is, most of us remember when we were number 1 under Blaine and it wasn't THAT long ago.

For those who think Jones has done enough to deserve to keep his job, he can't even crack the top 4 in the state and I see zero evidence we will this year or next year either.

But yeah, odu fans definitely know more than everyone, it's why our entire athletic department is NOT in shambles lol.

RE: 2017 basketball - T-Mac - 11-08-2017 04:35 PM

(11-08-2017 03:44 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

And check out who is Coach of the Year!
What's sad is that at least 25% of posters on this forum are really hoping this guy is not correct.

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: 2017 basketball - cmett003 - 11-08-2017 04:53 PM

(11-08-2017 04:32 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Didn't we lose to W&M last year?

Liberty is better than W&M, some of you guys are absolute space cadets.

At absolute best we are 5th in the state but a solid case for 7th could be made.

But I'm sure Giles will have a "convincing" argument for why we are number 1 lol.

Sad part is, most of us remember when we were number 1 under Blaine and it wasn't THAT long ago.

For those who think Jones has done enough to deserve to keep his job, he can't even crack the top 4 in the state and I see zero evidence we will this year or next year either.

But yeah, odu fans definitely know more than everyone, it's why our entire athletic department is NOT in shambles lol.

Liberty lost to W&M last year, W&M is def better than Liberty. Please, make a valid argument as to how Liberty is better than ODU or W&M. Liberty beat absolutely no one last year. Once again, no research!

RE: 2017 basketball - Gilesfan - 11-08-2017 05:02 PM

I've had the dude on ignore for at least a year. Glad he still brings me up!