CSNbbs
2017 basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 basketball (/thread-827497.html)

RE: 2017 basketball - odu09 - 11-03-2017 07:04 AM

(11-02-2017 07:27 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 06:20 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 01:08 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  In 40 years as a D-I school, we've had 10 NCAA appearances. Four of those appearances came in a seven year stretch under BT--which skews the average span between appearances.

Kind of puts things in perspective. From what you read here, you would think we are better than a program that only gets to the tournament 25% of the time in our rich and storied history. But Jones has gotten us to the tournament 0% of the time, and I would like to thank ODU for providing me with an engineering education that allowed me to calculate that number.
Does it? Don't let him spin the facts. 11 in 40 years is better than one every four years. We are going on 7 and most of those belong to JJ. He also failed to mention that coaches were fired for those other dry spells.

Aside from all that, should we be aspiring to replicate the program's lows, or to maintain the highs and build on them?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Do you really believe we are replicating the program's lows right now? I think we are in a better position now than we were when BT left the program in a valley. How would anyone be able to build on that? I agree that 7 years is long, but with the current class it feels like there is a trend upwards, or at least the potential for it. Just brings me to my other question of how long is it supposed to take? You would think 4 years, to get all the pieces together. But if 1 in every 3.6 years is our average to maintain, maybe it takes a bit longer to get out of a valley.

RE: 2017 basketball - 757ODU - 11-03-2017 07:09 AM

You can tell the season is nearing when every post is about firing or defending JJ. Give the guy the year and then evaluate. He isn’t going anywhere right now so there’s no point in message board firing him before we play a game.

RE: 2017 basketball - jumpshooter - 11-03-2017 08:20 AM

(11-03-2017 07:04 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 01:08 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  In 40 years as a D-I school, we've had 10 NCAA appearances. Four of those appearances came in a seven year stretch under BT--which skews the average span between appearances.

Kind of puts things in perspective. From what you read here, you would think we are better than a program that only gets to the tournament 25% of the time in our rich and storied history. But Jones has gotten us to the tournament 0% of the time, and I would like to thank ODU for providing me with an engineering education that allowed me to calculate that number.
Does it? Don't let him spin the facts. 11 in 40 years is better than one every four years. We are going on 7 and most of those belong to JJ. He also failed to mention that coaches were fired for those other dry spells.

Aside from all that, should we be aspiring to replicate the program's lows, or to maintain the highs and build on them?

Do you really believe we are replicating the program's lows right now? I think we are in a better position now than we were when BT left the program in a valley. How would anyone be able to build on that? I agree that 7 years is long, but with the current class it feels like there is a trend upwards, or at least the potential for it. Just brings me to my other question of how long is it supposed to take? You would think 4 years, to get all the pieces together. But if 1 in every 3.6 years is our average to maintain, maybe it takes a bit longer to get out of a valley.

Where are you getting 7 years? He hasn't been here that long:

"Jones ranks third in Conference USA for most overall wins in past four years (Jones era). In the past four seasons, he is 46-24 in conference play for a winning percentage of 65.7% and ranks fourth in the conference for most C-USA wins in past four years.

In his fourth season at the helm in Norfolk, Jones and the Monarchs finished third in the C-USA after compiling a 12-6 mark in conference play and 19-12 overall record for the season."

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 11-03-2017 08:26 AM

Annndddd we are back to the "we sucked for one year excuse".

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchblue - 11-03-2017 08:30 AM

(11-03-2017 08:20 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  

"Jones ranks third in Conference USA for most overall wins in past four years (Jones era). In the past four seasons, he is 46-24 in conference play for a winning percentage of 65.7% and ranks fourth in the conference for most C-USA wins in past four years.

In his fourth season at the helm in Norfolk, Jones and the Monarchs finished third in the C-USA after compiling a 12-6 mark in conference play and 19-12 overall record for the season."

Yeah, sorry, 4th in CUSA is not good enough for me, but it does seem good enough for several.

1. People are super excited about the 4th ranked recruiting class in CUSA.
2. You are touting JJ's 4th in CUSA winning percentage.

At least we know where the pro Jones camp's expectations lie now.

Also, CUSA sucks, and it is almost impossible to not be in the top 4 if you try.

RE: 2017 basketball - monarx - 11-03-2017 08:48 AM

4th in the 20th ranked conference is pretty bad, as we are used to being top 3 consistently, and often 1st or 2nd in a 12-14th rated conference. But its not as bad as it looks because the top 6 teams in CUSA are all quite good. The issue is the top is comparable to the A10 while the bottom is comparable to the MEAC. We are also used to going to the NCAA at least every 4 years. None of these things have happened with Jones. With the improved recruiting we are seeing the last two cycles, we very well may be heading in that direction. But patience is running low, so hopefully that return to the NCAAs happens this season or next at the latest.

RE: 2017 basketball - EverRespect - 11-03-2017 08:55 AM

I'm going to keep some level of hope that we are going to be good this year... even if it only lasts 2 weeks. Until then, crapping all over JJ isn't helpful. I will likely be forced to join the chorus this time next month, but at this point I have to admit he has had a good couple of months on things he can control (he can't control injuries) since the announcement of Talley's dismissal.

RE: 2017 basketball - mturn017 - 11-03-2017 09:15 AM

I don't know if anyone is saying that mediocre is good enough. I think we all realize that a slow death of mediocracy is in ways much worse than bottoming out. Just missing the NCAA and consistently getting 20+ wins I don't think should be good enough if that happens every year. But those years will happen. I'm willing to give JJ a few years to produce some good results with these recruiting classes. But if it's more of the same then yeah, we've got to try someone else.

Looking forward to the season. Go Monarchs!

RE: 2017 basketball - 757ODU - 11-03-2017 10:17 AM

(11-02-2017 01:39 PM)757ODU Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 12:19 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 11:47 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I think our biggest game is vs Temple. We need to win that game for a Top 100 win and they could be a top 50 team at the end of the year, also beating Temple gets us a game against Auburn (most likely) which would be another Top 50 team.

I agree. We need to get out of Charleston with 2 wins. Hopefully we can beat Temple, and get another one against Dayton, Hofstra or Ohio in game three. Beating Auburn is likely too much to ask.

Two of their best players are being held out of games due to the FBI investigation...Also...they're not good.

Bump...

They lost to Barry (D2) in an exhibition game. Please don't just use a name of a school to say we have no chance.

RE: 2017 basketball - 757ODU - 11-03-2017 10:26 AM

CUSA media day Jeff Jones "Xavier Green may be the key to our season."

RE: 2017 basketball - jumpshooter - 11-03-2017 11:00 AM

(11-03-2017 08:30 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 08:20 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 06:20 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Kind of puts things in perspective. From what you read here, you would think we are better than a program that only gets to the tournament 25% of the time in our rich and storied history. But Jones has gotten us to the tournament 0% of the time, and I would like to thank ODU for providing me with an engineering education that allowed me to calculate that number.

Yeah, sorry, 4th in CUSA is not good enough for me, but it does seem good enough for several.

1. People are super excited about the 4th ranked recruiting class in CUSA.
2. You are touting JJ's 4th in CUSA winning percentage.

At least we know where the pro Jones camp's expectations lie now.

Also, CUSA sucks, and it is almost impossible to not be in the top 4 if you try.

I'm out of this conversation. You and I are obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum. I know my background in sports; I don't know yours, so I won't assume that I know more than you do. You're constantly critical and hyperbolic in saying people who think differently from you are "satisfied." It's bull****. So you go your way and I'll go mine and we'll see down the road what happens.

RE: 2017 basketball - odu09 - 11-03-2017 11:09 AM

(11-03-2017 07:09 AM)757ODU Wrote:  You can tell the season is nearing when every post is about firing or defending JJ. Give the guy the year and then evaluate. He isn’t going anywhere right now so there’s no point in message board firing him before we play a game.

We could talk more about Towson if you'd like. Not sure what else there is to talk about, but I could do this all day

RE: 2017 basketball - odu09 - 11-03-2017 11:11 AM

(11-03-2017 08:26 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Annndddd we are back to the "we sucked for one year excuse".

Honestly. What do you want? Do you want to fire JJ right now if that included losing the recruits we have?

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchist13 - 11-03-2017 11:22 AM

Some people are excited because we have finished top 4 consistently with less heralded recruits. Perhaps, if the classes are as good as advertised, a couple top 4 classes is enough for JJ to put us at the very top of the league. And if that happens, recruiting should snowball from there and get even better.

I am fairly optimistic about this team but am trying to temper that until we see them play next Friday. Want to see them push the tempo and run zone.

RE: 2017 basketball - mac - 11-03-2017 11:29 AM

I'm with you Jumpshooter. Same ole, same ole from the same people. And all this "I'll give him one more year" and then do what exactly? Come cry even more on a message board? Same ole stuff, over and over and over.

RE: 2017 basketball - odu09 - 11-03-2017 11:47 AM

If we didn't have people with different opinions posting, this would be a pretty boring place.

RE: 2017 basketball - Blue_Trombone - 11-03-2017 11:54 AM

Is anyone else going to watch the exhibition on Sunday? I watched the women's one on Wednesday. Had an analysis written up for it but it got lost in the ether, and I haven't had time to rewrite it yet.

RE: 2017 basketball - Monarchist13 - 11-03-2017 11:56 AM

(11-03-2017 11:54 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Is anyone else going to watch the exhibition on Sunday? I watched the women's one on Wednesday. Had an analysis written up for it but it got lost in the ether, and I haven't had time to rewrite it yet.

Wouldn't miss it.

RE: 2017 basketball - JJMonarch - 11-03-2017 11:58 AM

I'll be there on Sunday

RE: 2017 basketball - odu09 - 11-03-2017 12:11 PM

I will be there for the exhibition. Sadly I'll be missing the home opener.