CSNbbs
Richmond Protests Turn Violent - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Richmond Protests Turn Violent (/thread-824106.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Richmond Protests Turn Violent - hoopfan - 08-14-2017 02:47 PM

(08-14-2017 02:44 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Today's remarks from the Richmond mayor.

Mayor Stoney: Richmond's Confederate monuments should stay with context added; commission's mission remains the same

snippet:
Quote:Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney on Monday morning reiterated his belief that adding context to the Confederate statues lining Monument Avenue is preferable to removing or relocating them.

"Currently, as I’ve always said, since my remarks earlier on this year, the way those statues stand currently, they’re a shameful representation of the past that we all disagree with," Stoney said. "For me, it’s about telling the complete truth. I don’t think removal of symbols does anything for telling the actual truth or changes the state and culture of racism in this country today."

This man gets it. Heck, if I lived in Richmond, I may have even voted for him. 04-cheers

yeah, but 'racism in this country today" is really overblown. That is a conversation that needs to be had.

RE: Richmond Protests Turn Violent - VA49er - 08-14-2017 02:50 PM

(08-14-2017 02:47 PM)hoopfan Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 02:44 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Today's remarks from the Richmond mayor.

Mayor Stoney: Richmond's Confederate monuments should stay with context added; commission's mission remains the same

snippet:
Quote:Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney on Monday morning reiterated his belief that adding context to the Confederate statues lining Monument Avenue is preferable to removing or relocating them.

"Currently, as I’ve always said, since my remarks earlier on this year, the way those statues stand currently, they’re a shameful representation of the past that we all disagree with," Stoney said. "For me, it’s about telling the complete truth. I don’t think removal of symbols does anything for telling the actual truth or changes the state and culture of racism in this country today."

This man gets it. Heck, if I lived in Richmond, I may have even voted for him. 04-cheers

yeah, but 'racism in this country today" is really overblown. That is a conversation that needs to be had.

It looks like he's trying to have it, without the nonsense, which is nice to see. Hopefully the tone stays the same, but with all the idiots running around that'll be easier said than done. Apparently some group has applied for permit to rally at the Lee Monument in September. The city is looking over the request now.

RE: Richmond Protests Turn Violent - H.U.S.T.L.E. - 08-14-2017 02:51 PM

(08-14-2017 02:39 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 02:32 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Whatever happened to the plans to build in Shockoe?

People complained. Well, that and the need for money.

To be fair, parking & traffic would have been a nightmare with the Shockoe site.

I work in the land planning & development industry, so I'm as far as you can get from the NIMBY crowd, or those who cry about gentrification when it's not always warranted. The reality was that it just wasn't an idea that made a ton of sense in that location.

There were also issues with historic preservation since the proposed site was directly adjacent to Lumpkin's Jail and was likely used in the slave trade.

The current (and IMO much better) plan being kicked around is for a new ballpark to be built on the site of the ABC distribution center currently across the street from the Diamond. Then once the Diamond is gone, the hope is that a larger retail/mixed-use development goes on the site of the Diamond.

RE: Richmond Protests Turn Violent - No Bull - 08-14-2017 02:55 PM

Down with the Nazi's. Down with the KKK. Down with Antifa. Down with BLM. Down with the biased media... and to hell with anyone who tries to make political gain from the death of a fellow American.

RE: Richmond Protests Turn Violent - VA49er - 08-15-2017 03:15 PM

The planned September rally in Richmond has been cancelled.

RE: Richmond Protests Turn Violent - VA49er - 09-13-2017 11:30 AM

Oh well, ignore the above post. Things may get interesting this weekend. There is a group of idiots from Tennessee coming to Richmond to rally at the Lee Monument on Monument Blvd. These people have no permit to assemble, but are coming anyway. Local police have prohibited parking surrounding the monument and will be out in force to hopefully prevent another Charlottesville type occurrence. As usual, it's out of towners making a fuss. If folks had any brains, they'd just ignore this group. However, common sense is in short supply so I fear what may unfold. Stay tuned.....

Richmond Protests Turn Violent - JMUDunk - 09-13-2017 01:30 PM

So there's no where in Tn these guys can go "rally"?

Stay away. Don't want nor need you here. Things were/are settling down a bit, no need to stir this schit up again.

Go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk