CSNbbs
Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Southern Miss (/forum-447.html)
+----- Thread: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes (/thread-824005.html)

Pages: 1 2

Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - TheChosenOne - 08-12-2017 03:46 PM

Good article regarding today's scrimmage

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/blitz/2017/08/12/golden-eagles-qb-battle-starting-see-some-separation/561611001/
5 takeaways from Southern Miss' second scrimmage

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-12-2017 04:20 PM

apparently, we have somebody that can kick the ball into the end zone.....

w/o the question, is the #1 overlooked skill to not be able to find in this day and age....

'bout dayum time.....

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - TheChosenOne - 08-12-2017 04:24 PM

Agreed. Past few years scrub kicks get on my last nerve.

Reading article gave the impression this team is coming together. If accurate this is great news

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-12-2017 04:31 PM

(08-12-2017 04:24 PM)TheChosenOne Wrote:  Agreed. Past few years scrub kicks get on my last nerve.

Reading article gave the impression this team is coming together. If accurate this is great news

just think about our opponents avg. starting position since Hrappman.....it's cost us games....

there is no excuse to not be able to kick it deep or out unless into a gale.....

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - eaglebeaver - 08-12-2017 07:24 PM

(08-12-2017 04:31 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 04:24 PM)TheChosenOne Wrote:  Agreed. Past few years scrub kicks get on my last nerve.

just think about our opponents avg. starting position since Hrappman.....it's cost us games....

there is no excuse to not be able to kick it deep or out unless into a gale.....

Remember the game against TCWho in H'burg when they wuz ranked #7? (of course you do!03-lmfao) The Horny Frawgs scrubbed kicked to about the 30 yd line, our guy (a TE I believe) tried to catch the ball, they hit'em before the ball got there, and ref said "First Down TCWho!!!"

Bowah went berserk because the rule said "If the squib does not touch the ground, the receiver must be given a chance to catch the ball (if kicking team hits receiver before the football arrives, it is considered "interference"), NO FAIR CATCH IS REQUIRED!...However, If no one on receiving team touches it, or fumbles it, it IS a live ball".

Bad call and game shoulda never been close!04-cheers

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-12-2017 07:38 PM

(08-12-2017 07:24 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 04:31 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Remember the game against TCWho in H'burg when they wuz ranked #7? (of course you do!03-lmfao) The Horny Frawgs scrubbed kicked to about the 30 yd line, our guy (a TE I believe) tried to catch the ball, they hit'em before the ball got there, and ref said "First Down TCWho!!!"

Bowah went berserk because the rule said "If the squib does not touch the ground, the receiver must be given a chance to catch the ball (if kicking team hits receiver before the football arrives, it is considered "interference"), NO FAIR CATCH IS REQUIRED!...However, If no one on receiving team touches it, or fumbles it, it IS a live ball".

Bad call and game shoulda never been close!04-cheers

hell, I remember the game where we kicked off in both halves due to some coin flip misunderstanding.....bet ya never see that one again.....

ST mistakes are sins that should NEVER happen (less'n one likes to toss a few back 03-wink )

....toss in the refs at times, and it really gets fonzies.....

it's a fun game, eh?

the first one is just around the corner now......

04-cheers

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-12-2017 08:22 PM

just to pile on with some psychobabble that pertains to special teams....

I didn't get to watch Ray play all the sports and positions he did during his yrs at USM.....being an avid soccer player as a tyke in StL, the beauty of watching him kick the coffin corner when at OAK was an unparalleled asset that only few understood (Madden did)...watching Ray was like watching Pele....both were pure poetry in motion....

when we moved here in '74, I was lucky enough to play many a round of golf with that Guy .....he was as much of an athlete on that field as he was a pure gentleman too...

when one has the assets AND pays attention to detail, one can sometimes accomplish the most regardless of how the trunk is packaged.....

it's easily my favorite lesson relative to humility absorbed from things as I've been lucky enough to witness during my 52 years on this globe.....

/

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - eagle04 - 08-14-2017 08:26 AM

(08-12-2017 04:20 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  apparently, we have somebody that can kick the ball into the end zone.....

w/o the question, is the #1 overlooked skill to not be able to find in this day and age....

'bout dayum time.....

The way we defended kickoffs last year, I would second the motion that it is a much needed asset.

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-14-2017 12:09 PM

(08-14-2017 08:26 AM)eagle04 Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 04:20 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  apparently, we have somebody that can kick the ball into the end zone.....

'bout dayum time.....

The way we defended kickoffs last year, I would second the motion that it is a much needed asset.

shhhhhh....I'm just the village idiot 03-wink

Hell, I was lobbying to just onside kick everytime or OB.....that's how piss poor that CF was

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - imajeep - 08-14-2017 01:50 PM

(08-12-2017 07:38 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  hell, I remember the game where we kicked off in both halves due to some coin flip misunderstanding.....bet ya never see that one again.....
I distinctly remember this. We won the toss....

Our guy said "We'll kick". The Ref said "Are you sure??". "Yeah, we'll kick". He thought he was deferring.

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-14-2017 04:27 PM

(08-14-2017 01:50 PM)imajeep Wrote:  
(08-12-2017 07:38 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  hell, I remember the game where we kicked off in both halves due to some coin flip misunderstanding.....bet ya never see that one again.....

Our guy said "We'll kick". The Ref said "Are you sure??". "Yeah, we'll kick". He thought he was deferring.

04-bow 04-bow 04-bow

#mammories

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - AndreWhere - 08-14-2017 05:18 PM

That ref was a dipshit. He knew what the kid meant.

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - imajeep - 08-15-2017 09:03 PM

(08-14-2017 05:18 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  

No. You have 3 options. Defer, Receive, Kick. He chose kick.

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - AndreWhere - 08-16-2017 07:37 AM

(08-15-2017 09:03 PM)imajeep Wrote:  

I know that (having watched the game in question), but the only two reasonable choices are receive and defer. Nobody ever really wants to kick twice. Again, that ref knew what the kid meant, and chose to be a dick about it. That's bad officiating. Good officiating consists of getting the **** out the way and letting the game be about the athletes, not the zebras. The zebras are a necessary evil at best, and when they try and show how smart / important they are, they ruin the sport.

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-16-2017 07:56 AM

(08-16-2017 07:37 AM)AndreWhere Wrote:  
(08-15-2017 09:03 PM)imajeep Wrote:  

I know that (having watched the game in question), but the only two reasonable choices are receive and defer. Nobody ever really wants to kick twice. Again, that ref knew what the kid meant, and chose to be a dick about it. That's bad officiating. Good officiating consists of getting the **** out the way and letting the game be about the athletes, not the zebras. The zebras are a necessary evil at best, and when they try and show how smart / important they are, they ruin the sport.

so, in summation, command of ¿Habla ingles? is all the sudden a real concern???

go hire one of dem these days.....good luck with that attempting to achieve success....

after one day, I had to fire a former OG receiver and the other decided Voorhees college was a good fit for him (6' 2") small forward....that one at least had a clue.....

it's sad what I see in the field.....I can only imagine what it's like to build a team with the current cast o' characters....

having said that, nobody wants to seriously address the 'real' issues.....it's nothing but mutton and crickets to too many....

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - EagNBran - 08-16-2017 11:36 AM

I hope our defense turns out to be as good as they're trying to hype them up to be. Not giving up big plays and creating turnovers will be the key.

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - eagle04 - 08-16-2017 11:44 AM

(08-16-2017 11:36 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  I hope our defense turns out to be as good as they're trying to hype them up to be. Not giving up big plays and creating turnovers will be the key.

I believe I read where our defense had great statistics if you take away the big plays we gave up. Eliminate getting gashed for big plays and see what we have

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - Black Diamond Reb - 08-16-2017 11:51 AM

(08-16-2017 11:44 AM)eagle04 Wrote:  I believe I read where our defense had great statistics if you take away the big plays we gave up. Eliminate getting gashed for big plays and see what we have

"Other than the fact that we gave up so many big plays we were really good."

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - stinkfist - 08-16-2017 12:28 PM

(08-16-2017 11:51 AM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 11:44 AM)eagle04 Wrote:  I believe I read where our defense had great statistics if you take away the big plays we gave up. Eliminate getting gashed for big plays and see what we have

if it wasn't for those three triples and two quads, I would've won money today - DP

RE: Saturday's Scrimnage Notes - SoMs Eagle - 08-16-2017 01:39 PM

(08-16-2017 12:28 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(08-16-2017 11:51 AM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  

if it wasn't for those three triples and two quads, I would've won money today - DP

If you're capable of that you ain't never gonna win money .....