CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 (/thread-823407.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - mac - 04-24-2019 05:54 AM

(04-23-2019 10:07 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 10:03 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 08:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 06:56 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 06:14 PM)FantomVII Wrote:  

Congratulations and welcome Jaylin Hunter.

I’m assuming what made his decision so tough is the probability that he knows he will be required to redshirt his first year.

I am not convinced he will redshirt.

Me either .....

I’m not sure redshirting a kid is to our benefit any longer the way it used to be. Just seems more likely that a player will grad transfer at the end of their career. The landscape has changed.

Exactly right in my opinion!

We just signed the Conn player of the year. Excellent news. These coaches are on a roll. Word has been all along they were looking for either a grad transfer or Juco point guard and a freshman point guard. Well, they did just that. And two highly decorated players at that. Covering short term and long term needs. Just excellent, I’m excited about these two commitments. NOW, who is the next center/forward type we bring in. Look forward to that too!

Great job Monarch coaches!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - mac - 04-24-2019 06:00 AM

(04-23-2019 07:08 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Here is a great article about Hunter from last Christmas’ Hartford Courant.

https://www.courant.com/sports/high-schools/hc-sp-jaylin-hunter-east-catholic-20181225-pbzrjp3sezgnhgluxitinffm4i-story.html

Awesome article, thanks for posting this, love it! This jumped out at me.

“Some guys that my dad has struggled with, they have bad listening skills,” he said. “Kind of close-minded at times. If you’re not ready to learn, you’re not going to be a very good player. If you keep learning and learning, you can just keep expanding your game.”

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchblue - 04-24-2019 08:04 AM

(04-24-2019 05:54 AM)mac Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 08:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 06:56 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Congratulations and welcome Jaylin Hunter.

I’m assuming what made his decision so tough is the probability that he knows he will be required to redshirt his first year.

I am not convinced he will redshirt.

Me either .....

I’m not sure redshirting a kid is to our benefit any longer the way it used to be. Just seems more likely that a player will grad transfer at the end of their career. The landscape has changed.

We just signed the Conn player of the year. Excellent news. These coaches are on a roll. Word has been all along they were looking for either a grad transfer or Juco point guard and a freshman point guard. Well, they did just that. And two highly decorated players at that. Covering short term and long term needs. Just excellent, I’m excited about these two commitments. NOW, who is the next center/forward type we bring in. Look forward to that too!

Slow down a little bit. We just beat out Arkansas State and Fairfield for a couple of point guards. They may turn out to be fine players, but "the coaches are on a roll" is a bit overstated. In fact, it would have been a pretty bad look if we were NOT able to get these two to commit.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 04-24-2019 08:27 AM

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 04-24-2019 08:29 AM

(04-24-2019 08:04 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 08:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I am not convinced he will redshirt.

Me either .....

Slow down a little bit. We just beat out Arkansas State and Fairfield for a couple of point guards. They may turn out to be fine players, but "the coaches are on a roll" is a bit overstated. In fact, it would have been a pretty bad look if we were NOT able to get these two to commit.

FWIW Hunter said it was between ODU and Boston U.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - bit_9 - 04-24-2019 08:47 AM

The Boneyard (uconn forum) seemed to be sure he would be going there. Solid get for the coaches! Looks physically ready at 18, kind of like Wade's build.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - bit_9 - 04-24-2019 08:48 AM

Wait, is that 2 lefties?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 04-24-2019 09:22 AM

Curious to the obsession with having a lefty?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODUBB35 - 04-24-2019 09:24 AM

(04-24-2019 08:47 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  The Boneyard (uconn forum) seemed to be sure he would be going there. Solid get for the coaches! Looks physically ready at 18, kind of like Wade's build.

...except he appears to have a jumpshot.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - mac - 04-24-2019 09:48 AM

(04-24-2019 08:04 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 08:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I am not convinced he will redshirt.

Me either .....

Ha hah haaaa!! I ain't slowing down, never will~ Let's get a big man to add too. The coaches went after these two point guards and got them. GREAT job coaches. Add these guys with Zip, Wade, Godwin,Oliver, and the rest ~~ Wow, lets go, looking forward to the season.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 04-24-2019 10:03 AM

(04-24-2019 09:22 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Curious to the obsession with having a lefty?

People are used to guarding right handed people all the time. Having a lefty shakes stuff up a bit for the defense. I don't think I would call it an obsession but it is a little bit of an advantage.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 04-24-2019 10:10 AM

(04-23-2019 09:47 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 09:35 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Perhaps they are not convinced that Kithcart is the answer at PG. Perhaps they believe that adding competition at the position will make it stronger and improve both players. I don't think depth at what might be the most important position on the court, the guy who runs your offense, is a bad thing.

Would it motivate you if they hired someone from outside your organization to take on some of your responsibilities and change the way things are done?

Well, everyone responds differently to motivational tactics, but probably not. You would probably start looking for another job. Best practices today says the best way to motivate an individual is to empower them.

This is a bad take. Sports and cubicles don't always go hand in hand. There is a reason why there's multiple people on the same position on every sports team at every level. Depth, and getting the best possible players to play the game. I for sure would not want to work for you if you think the best way to fill a position is to promote the person who has been in the organization the longest.

(04-23-2019 10:25 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  They also have Jason Wade (I think)

You are basing your thoughts of Wade possibly not being on the team because the guy committed with a #1 jersey worn during his official visit? It's a really good thing the 2nd commit covered up his jersey number in the photo shoot.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 04-24-2019 10:37 AM

(04-24-2019 10:10 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(04-23-2019 09:35 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Perhaps they are not convinced that Kithcart is the answer at PG. Perhaps they believe that adding competition at the position will make it stronger and improve both players. I don't think depth at what might be the most important position on the court, the guy who runs your offense, is a bad thing.

Would it motivate you if they hired someone from outside your organization to take on some of your responsibilities and change the way things are done?

Well, everyone responds differently to motivational tactics, but probably not. You would probably start looking for another job. Best practices today says the best way to motivate an individual is to empower them.

This is a bad take. Sports and cubicles don't always go hand in hand. There is a reason why there's multiple people on the same position on every sports team at every level. Depth, and getting the best possible players to play the game. I for sure would not want to work for you if you think the best way to fill a position is to promote the person who has been in the organization the longest.

You are basing your thoughts of Wade possibly not being on the team because the guy committed with a #1 jersey worn during his official visit? It's a really good thing the 2nd commit covered up his jersey number in the photo shoot.

Someone made a comment on another thread awhile back about Wade. I dismissed it, but seeing the #1 jersey did cause some concern.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 04-24-2019 10:39 AM

(04-24-2019 10:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Someone made a comment on another thread awhile back about Wade. I dismissed it, but seeing the #1 jersey did cause some concern.

Well I just noticed Jaylin's commit tweet also has a picture of him in a #1 jersey. I jest, because I'm pretty sure like 99% of the time when they get mockups of jerseys it's the #1. No real reason to be concerned due to this.

[Image: D43rDmdW0AEEVsV?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 04-24-2019 10:40 AM

(04-24-2019 10:03 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(04-24-2019 09:22 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Curious to the obsession with having a lefty?

People are used to guarding right handed people all the time. Having a lefty shakes stuff up a bit for the defense. I don't think I would call it an obsession but it is a little bit of an advantage.

I would think defending a lefty would be easier because you would be moving to your right and generally using your right hand to block shots, pick off passes, and reach in. I could be wrong though, I'm just a short and slow white guy who never played.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODUCoach - 04-24-2019 11:19 AM

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODU Hugh - 04-24-2019 11:32 AM

(04-24-2019 10:39 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(04-24-2019 10:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Well I just noticed Jaylin's commit tweet also has a picture of him in a #1 jersey. I jest, because I'm pretty sure like 99% of the time when they get mockups of jerseys it's the #1. No real reason to be concerned due to this.

[Image: D43rDmdW0AEEVsV?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Yeah, #1 is the stock jersey.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dom Swag - 04-24-2019 12:48 PM

(04-24-2019 11:19 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

This kid seems to be a get. Grabbed 9 rebounds against Kentucky in his 4th college game and played heavy minutes for a big man. Based on the Twitter chatter this was a surprise transfer that was announced yesterday.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 04-24-2019 01:08 PM

Gotta think a P5 is buying him (Bruce Pearl?). I highly doubt he is leaving an ETSU team that is in good shape to win their conference to come to ODU and sit out the year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ETSUDB8-79 - 04-24-2019 01:23 PM

(04-24-2019 01:08 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Gotta think a P5 is buying him (Bruce Pearl?). I highly doubt he is leaving an ETSU team that is in good shape to win their conference to come to ODU and sit out the year.

A lot going on at ETSU with many folks transferring so this Fall basketball season is not looking good at this time. He is (according to the MB) an engineering major which works for us and at least we play our games on campus instead of at the local high school. Maybe he just wants to move on before their coach leaves and we are looking for a center. Just wish there was some way he would be eligible this season.