CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 (/thread-823407.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 03-29-2019 11:03 AM

(03-29-2019 11:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:39 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 08:57 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 08:44 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  You take talent wherever you can find it; with 800 transfers likely in the portal, we're supposed to ignore a potential contributor? Riiiiiiiiight; so glad you don't coach ODU
Exactly. The recent changes to transfer rules means if you aren't getting in the transfer market then you are just shooting yourself in the foot. Plus everyone is assuming nobody is transferring away from our team when in reality each team on average loses 2 players to the transfer portal. No, I'm not in the know, but if you think we are immune that is a tough assumption.

We've had a lot of success with grad transfers and jucos. Not sure why we would cut ourselves off from a viable option just because we don't get them for 4 years. Again, that's the assumption that a great player actually stays here for 4 years. It's not a given.

We haven't had "a lot of success". They are band aids. When you have a wound, you need a band aid. I think our wounds have healed. We have no need. If we start losing key players, then we have a wound.

What would our record have been without:

Freeman
Stith
Stith
Kithcart
Arledge
Porter

Only one of those was a grad transfer and all were needed at the time. We are overall much healthier right now.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - 757ODU - 03-29-2019 11:05 AM

(03-29-2019 11:03 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 08:57 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 08:44 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  You take talent wherever you can find it; with 800 transfers likely in the portal, we're supposed to ignore a potential contributor? Riiiiiiiiight; so glad you don't coach ODU
Exactly. The recent changes to transfer rules means if you aren't getting in the transfer market then you are just shooting yourself in the foot. Plus everyone is assuming nobody is transferring away from our team when in reality each team on average loses 2 players to the transfer portal. No, I'm not in the know, but if you think we are immune that is a tough assumption.

We've had a lot of success with grad transfers and jucos. Not sure why we would cut ourselves off from a viable option just because we don't get them for 4 years. Again, that's the assumption that a great player actually stays here for 4 years. It's not a given.

We haven't had "a lot of success". They are band aids. When you have a wound, you need a band aid. I think our wounds have healed. We have no need. If we start losing key players, then we have a wound.

Freeman
Stith
Stith
Kithcart
Arledge
Porter

Only one of those was a grad transfer and all were needed at the time. We are overall much healthier right now.

Yea Middle Tennessee needed the Nick King band aid....Please just stop.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 03-29-2019 11:29 AM

(03-29-2019 11:05 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 08:57 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Exactly. The recent changes to transfer rules means if you aren't getting in the transfer market then you are just shooting yourself in the foot. Plus everyone is assuming nobody is transferring away from our team when in reality each team on average loses 2 players to the transfer portal. No, I'm not in the know, but if you think we are immune that is a tough assumption.

Freeman
Stith
Stith
Kithcart
Arledge
Porter

I would think this year's results would prove, if anything, Nick King was a band-aid. A healthy program doesn't finish 11-21 and at the bottom of the conference in their rebuilding years no matter who the coach is. I know, there were other factors, but bringing in Nick King was indeed a 1-year fix and not a sustainable, scalable, or a repeatable process. Nick King averaged 3.3 points and 2.9 rebounds in seven games at Alabama. Bringing him in was a risk and they beat the odds. Not sure what role, if any, he played in them tanking the end of the season resulting in major disappointment, or the ensuing exodus, nor do I really care. What position, specifically, do you think we could bring a grad transfer into next year's team that wouldn't cause internal problems?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 03-29-2019 11:43 AM

(03-29-2019 11:29 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:39 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  We haven't had "a lot of success". They are band aids. When you have a wound, you need a band aid. I think our wounds have healed. We have no need. If we start losing key players, then we have a wound.

Freeman
Stith
Stith
Kithcart
Arledge
Porter

I would think this year's results would prove, if anything, Nick King was a band-aid. A healthy program doesn't finish 11-21 and at the bottom of the conference in their rebuilding years no matter who the coach is. I know, there were other factors, but bringing in Nick King was indeed a 1-year fix and not a sustainable, scalable, or a repeatable process. Nick King averaged 3.3 points and 2.9 rebounds in seven games at Alabama. Bringing him in was a risk and they beat the odds. Not sure what role, if any, he played in them tanking the end of the season resulting in major disappointment, or the ensuing exodus, nor do I really care. What position, specifically, do you think we could bring a grad transfer into next year's team that wouldn't cause internal problems?

You don't think the coach leaving and the best 3 returning players transferring had anything to do with it?

There are several great programs throughout the country that sustain success with transfers.

Players want to win. They typically help recruit grad transfers to come in.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 03-29-2019 11:59 AM

(03-29-2019 11:43 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 11:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  What would our record have been without:

Freeman
Stith
Stith
Kithcart
Arledge
Porter

You don't think the coach leaving and the best 3 returning players transferring had anything to do with it?

There are several great programs throughout the country that sustain success with transfers.

We are talking ODU, not Kentucky. It is not scalable here nor is it scalable MTSU, assuming we are playing by the rules. Sure, we could bring in someone like Nick King from somewhere like Alabama that scores 3 PPG and there is a 1 in 1,000 chance he could become the conference POY next year as a 1-year wonder, but 1 in 1,000 is not scalable. It was luck. Next year we have a bunch of players that have put in their time behind our graduating seniors and it is their turn to take the reins and see what they can do. I doubt there is a single one of them that think we need a grad transfer to take their minutes.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 03-29-2019 12:06 PM

(03-29-2019 11:59 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  We are talking ODU, not Kentucky. It is not scalable here nor is it scalable MTSU, assuming we are playing by the rules. Sure, we could bring in someone like Nick King from somewhere like Alabama that scores 3 PPG and there is a 1 in 1,000 chance he could become the conference POY next year as a 1-year wonder, but 1 in 1,000 is not scalable. It was luck. Next year we have a bunch of players that have put in their time behind our graduating seniors and it is their turn to take the reins and see what they can do. I doubt there is a single one of them that think we need a grad transfer to take their minutes.

So instead of taking a player that would make our team potentially better, you'd rather ignore any transfers because our players are entitled to play because they've been here a few years?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 03-29-2019 12:07 PM

With roughly 800 transfers per year, I find it hard to believe you can't sustain it.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 03-29-2019 12:23 PM

(03-29-2019 12:06 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 11:59 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  We are talking ODU, not Kentucky. It is not scalable here nor is it scalable MTSU, assuming we are playing by the rules. Sure, we could bring in someone like Nick King from somewhere like Alabama that scores 3 PPG and there is a 1 in 1,000 chance he could become the conference POY next year as a 1-year wonder, but 1 in 1,000 is not scalable. It was luck. Next year we have a bunch of players that have put in their time behind our graduating seniors and it is their turn to take the reins and see what they can do. I doubt there is a single one of them that think we need a grad transfer to take their minutes.

So instead of taking a player that would make our team potentially better, you'd rather ignore any transfers because our players are entitled to play because they've been here a few years?

Correct, you play the long game, especially when rebuilding. Your Kiths, Wades, Godwins, Zips and Dickens need playing time and experience to improve. It isn't worth putting them on the bench and stunting their development to bring someone in for a year that doesn't know the system and may or may not do any better.

Kith/Wade
Godwin/Oliver
Green
Zip/Reece
Dickens

^^^I am comfortable with this right here for the next 2 years

We could use a few backups, particularly at center, but grad transfers don't go somewhere to be a backup. Bring in freshmen to back them up for breathers, injury, and foul trouble, but above is the core we have to develop into a top 50 team. Not sure why a grad transfer would want to come here next year anyway. This isn't a situation like Alrledge or Robinson where we literally had nobody at those positions. No matter what position, playing time is likely to be very limited.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - 757ODU - 03-29-2019 12:25 PM

(03-29-2019 11:59 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 11:43 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 11:03 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Only one of those was a grad transfer and all were needed at the time. We are overall much healthier right now.

We are talking ODU, not Kentucky. It is not scalable here nor is it scalable MTSU, assuming we are playing by the rules. Sure, we could bring in someone like Nick King from somewhere like Alabama that scores 3 PPG and there is a 1 in 1,000 chance he could become the conference POY next year as a 1-year wonder, but 1 in 1,000 is not scalable. It was luck. Next year we have a bunch of players that have put in their time behind our graduating seniors and it is their turn to take the reins and see what they can do. I doubt there is a single one of them that think we need a grad transfer to take their minutes.

Darius Thompson at WKU last year....I could keep providing examples but it's not worth my time.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - 757ODU - 03-29-2019 12:27 PM

(03-29-2019 09:39 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  We haven't had "a lot of success". They are band aids. When you have a wound, you need a band aid. I think our wounds have healed. We have no need. If we start losing key players, then we have a wound.

Freeman
Stith
Stith
Kithcart
Arledge
Porter

The coach and players left the program. Winning eliminates internal problems. Your grasping for straws.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 03-29-2019 12:37 PM

(03-29-2019 12:23 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Correct, you play the long game, especially when rebuilding. Your Kiths, Wades, Godwins, Zips and Dickens need playing time and experience to improve. It isn't worth putting them on the bench and stunting their development to bring someone in for a year that doesn't know the system and may or may not do any better.

Kith/Wade
Godwin/Oliver
Green
Zip/Reece
Dickens

We could use a few backups, particularly at center, but grad transfers don't go somewhere to be a backup. Bring in freshmen to back them up for breathers, injury, and foul trouble, but above is the core we have to develop into a top 50 team. Not sure why a grad transfer would want to come here next year anyway. This isn't a situation like Alrledge or Robinson where we literally had nobody at those positions. No matter what position, playing time is likely to be very limited.

Im not into refusing to help the team because I'm comfortable with a team that at best would probably still need to win the conference tourney to get in the tournament. (at least next year)

Grad transfers got to places and backup all the time. If the team is as good as you think (core for a top 50 team), why wouldn't a player want to join?

If the transfer is any good, they have plenty of play time to look forward to.

P.S., FWIW, the team would be interested in finding a PG and have Kitchart play more of a combo/scoring guard role.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - T-Mac - 03-29-2019 12:50 PM

I don't see anything wrong with bringing in talent...ESPECIALLY on a young team like we'll have next year. Carver is our ONLY Senior worth note (not sure about the walk-ons). If we get an Arledge...fantastic! If we get a Robinson who just provides some quality minutes and a Senior presence to a young squad...that's also helpful.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 03-29-2019 12:58 PM

(03-29-2019 12:37 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Kith/Wade
Godwin/Oliver
Green
Zip/Reece
Dickens

Im not into refusing to help the team because I'm comfortable with a team that at best would probably still need to win the conference tourney to get in the tournament. (at least next year)

Grad transfers got to places and backup all the time. If the team is as good as you think (core for a top 50 team), why wouldn't a player want to join?

P.S., FWIW, the team would be interested in finding a PG and have Kitchart play more of a combo/scoring guard role.

Quite simply because I don't think they will develop into a top 50 team or maximize their potential unless they develop together as a team. I believe adding temporary elements to mix in hinders their development as a team. It has taken 6 years, but I think we are finally at the point where we can do this the right way. Only caveat is if we could get someone that is almost a guarantee game changer like Matt Coleman that wants to come home, then obviously you take that. I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks of taking some PG that spent the last 4 years riding the bench at Georgia Tech or Wake Forest and putting him in the lineup while stunting the development of Kith. And if they want to move Kith to the 2 spot, Wade also showed he is capable of running the point.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - monarx - 03-29-2019 02:03 PM

While we can be pretty good next season, I think we go all in on the 2020/2021 squad. If we land the right transfers or freshman this year, I predict 2 years from now could be a very special season.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODU BBALL - 03-29-2019 09:02 PM

(03-29-2019 12:37 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Kith/Wade
Godwin/Oliver
Green
Zip/Reece
Dickens

Who is your source on that? Or is that just your opinion?

The first part of the sentence is obvious - that Jeff is going to be looking for another PG with the loss of his starter at the position.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODUDJ96 - 03-29-2019 10:16 PM

(03-27-2019 12:11 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 11:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  pass pass pass

you know you're entitled to two puffs before passing, right?

Puff, puff, give.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODU True Blue - 03-29-2019 11:25 PM

(03-26-2019 12:49 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 12:32 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  This is a recruiting thread. There are plenty of other threads to talk about this past season’s team.

(03-26-2019 12:32 PM)Punk Wrote:  The recruiting thread is turning into stats-fest again, lol. Be nice to get some recruiting news soon

Cleaned it up a bit. Hope that helps.

We tried....

But maybe we need 3 pages and 60 posts of the merits of transfers!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - mac - 03-30-2019 11:30 AM

(03-29-2019 09:44 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:35 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:27 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

You don't know what you are getting with the talent. The culture and cohesion in the locker room is more important. We have enough contributors returning.

And you know a freshman is going to gel and fit in with the rest of team? Come on. You recruit as much talent as you can.

A freshman is more likely to fit into a team with upper-class leadership that is ingrained into the culture from being here over the last 3-4 years that can check their egos. A grad transfer won't know the culture and traditions and is unlikely to provide that leadership.

This is the old way of thinking. The problem with recruiting all freshman now a days is this. You teach them everything they need to know, invest all your time and energy for years in a player and them in year four, they transfer somewhere else . I’m all for the mix of transfers, freshman, grads transfers and if you get a great jump, add that in too. You take the best talent you can find no matter where it comes from. I would love to see us add some overseas talent to the mix too.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODU BBALL - 03-30-2019 06:38 PM

(03-30-2019 11:30 AM)mac Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:44 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:35 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 09:27 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

You don't know what you are getting with the talent. The culture and cohesion in the locker room is more important. We have enough contributors returning.

And you know a freshman is going to gel and fit in with the rest of team? Come on. You recruit as much talent as you can.

A freshman is more likely to fit into a team with upper-class leadership that is ingrained into the culture from being here over the last 3-4 years that can check their egos. A grad transfer won't know the culture and traditions and is unlikely to provide that leadership.

This is the old way of thinking. The problem with recruiting all freshman now a days is this. You teach them everything they need to know, invest all your time and energy for years in a player and them in year four, they transfer somewhere else . I’m all for the mix of transfers, freshman, grads transfers and if you get a great jump, add that in too. You take the best talent you can find no matter where it comes from. I would love to see us add some overseas talent to the mix too.

Yeah, I miss the recent past when ODU got several talented players from overseas - Dahi, Vasylius, Laughton, Lee, etc. that contributed as freshmen. It's strange how that all just stopped.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Prideofalion - 03-30-2019 09:32 PM

It’s not hard to figure out. ODU needs the most talented point guard they can get there hands on. Doesn’t matter what year. Freshman, Juco, grad transfer. That’s the biggest glaring need. And I like Kithcart, but still need competition and more ball handling on the roster.