CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 (/thread-823407.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchblue - 11-19-2018 02:48 PM

Or maybe JJ's coaching style was not the right fit for his personality. That is a real thing.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 11-19-2018 02:55 PM

Its worth noting that Hueitt transferred twice in high school and lasted one year in college before transferring. Blewbyu is as close as anyone to the program and outlined many of Hueitts issues.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchblue - 11-19-2018 03:01 PM

It is also worth noting that JJ has had trouble relating to some players, and not just the "problem" guys.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - JJMonarch - 11-19-2018 03:16 PM

(11-17-2018 12:06 AM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 05:17 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Good news, I think he needs a year in residencey. He's a top level shooter.

We have had one real shooter in the last decade, Trey Freeman, and we had him for only 2 years. Can you imagine how good our ODU viewing lives would be with a real reliable shooter? Oliver, Kithcart, Wade, Ezikpe, Reece, Dickens seems like a pretty good core. If Green and Godwin could be reliable scorers we might have a future.

I think Godwin is a pure shooter. It will come with him as he gains some experience and confidence.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 11-19-2018 04:27 PM

True, I guess we are missing out on someone truly special who wound up leaving us for greener pastures. I hope he enjoys his time at UNC Greensboro playing against Samford and Chattanooga.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarch Homselr - 11-19-2018 10:20 PM

People sitting near us at the Ted said their relative was a RA or something similar in his dorm...they said his attitude sucked in the dorm too.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - LuckyLion - 11-19-2018 10:24 PM

(11-19-2018 02:24 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  "The best shooter we had left school, Huett, because he didn’t like Jones."

Partially true, but far from the whole story. He didn't like Jones because Jones corrected him in practice and, unlike Godwin, who put his head down and worked, Huett went off and sulked. Head numerous stories about assistant coaches having to go get him and "coax" back onto the practice floor. . . . In addition, coaches wanted to change his shooting style because he was too often off-balance when hew let it go. He didn't go for it. . . . So, yeah, he didn't like Jones -- but no one over there is missing him, I can tell you that. Lame, Razor, even by your (low) standards of insult.

This is exactly the story I got from several people very close to the program in private conversations. I was told at the beginning, the middle, and the end of the season the staff and players rated all the players on how hard they worked and Hueitt was at the bottom all 3 times. The first time Godwin was down there with him, but his standing moved up throughout the year. Guess who saw playing time?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Razor Ramon Monarch - 11-20-2018 01:04 AM

(11-19-2018 02:24 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  "The best shooter we had left school, Huett, because he didn’t like Jones."

Partially true, but far from the whole story. He didn't like Jones because Jones corrected him in practice and, unlike Godwin, who put his head down and worked, Huett went off and sulked. Head numerous stories about assistant coaches having to go get him and "coax" back onto the practice floor. . . . In addition, coaches wanted to change his shooting style because he was too often off-balance when hew let it go. He didn't go for it. . . . So, yeah, he didn't like Jones -- but no one over there is missing him, I can tell you that. Lame, Razor, even by your (low) standards of insult.

“Correct him” like he’s corrected all of our other awesome shooters in his tenure lol.

Like I said, freeman only got through because he was already a boss and he knew it.

All our other freshmen struggle after Jeff breaks their confidence.

In year 6 it’s no longer coincidence.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Razor Ramon Monarch - 11-20-2018 01:06 AM

(11-19-2018 04:27 PM)odu09 Wrote:  True, I guess we are missing out on someone truly special who wound up leaving us for greener pastures. I hope he enjoys his time at UNC Greensboro playing against Samford and Chattanooga and probably in the NCAA tourney.

Fixed that for you.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 11-20-2018 06:21 AM

(11-20-2018 01:06 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(11-19-2018 04:27 PM)odu09 Wrote:  True, I guess we are missing out on someone truly special who wound up leaving us for greener pastures. I hope he enjoys his time at UNC Greensboro playing against Samford and Chattanooga and probably in the NCAA tourney.

Fixed that for you.

Maybe next year. He sits this year. Totally worth it though

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 11-20-2018 09:03 AM

Maybe that is the underlying problem with everything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe this is why we get these good shooting recruits year after year and they all end up settling into mediocrity. Godwin put his head down and worked... how is that working for him? He can't throw it in the ocean. All that hard work for naught. Green's game has also gone downhill since the beginning of his freshman year. BJ? No comment. Caver's overall game has improved, but not his shooting. Not to excuse Hueitt's inability to take criticism or lack of work ethic (if that was the case), but why would you try to change the shot of someone who can shoot like that? It may not be "textbook", but he became that over 18 years of reps and muscle memory.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - jumpshooter - 11-20-2018 09:51 AM

because coaches always do what they think will improve a player. The Webbs tried dearly to change the shots of Keith Thomas and Mike Williams during their time here. Blaine tried to do something with Palmore. I'm not any happier with the way things are going than anyone else here, but how about we stop looking at every single thing as an indictment of this program? Some people here have absolutely lost any perspective. And, frankly, I don't give a damn whether Jones stays or goes, so let's not paint me as some JJ apologist, cause it ain't true.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 11-20-2018 09:55 AM

(11-20-2018 09:03 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Maybe that is the underlying problem with everything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe this is why we get these good shooting recruits year after year and they all end up settling into mediocrity. Godwin put his head down and worked... how is that working for him? He can't throw it in the ocean. All that hard work for naught. Green's game has also gone downhill since the beginning of his freshman year. BJ? No comment. Caver's overall game has improved, but not his shooting. Not to excuse Hueitt's inability to take criticism or lack of work ethic (if that was the case), but why would you try to change the shot of someone who can shoot like that? It may not be "textbook", but he became that over 18 years of reps and muscle memory.

Caver's shooting has improved year after year. He's shooting 38% from 3 and 73% from the free throw line. His 2 points percentage is down slightly from last year due to only hitting 50% of shots at the rim.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - FearTheLion - 11-20-2018 10:29 AM

(11-20-2018 09:51 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  because coaches always do what they think will improve a player. The Webbs tried dearly to change the shots of Keith Thomas and Mike Williams during their time here. Blaine tried to do something with Palmore. I'm not any happier with the way things are going than anyone else here, but how about we stop looking at every single thing as an indictment of this program? Some people here have absolutely lost any perspective. And, frankly, I don't give a damn whether Jones stays or goes, so let's not paint me as some JJ apologist, cause it ain't true.

But you're going to be painted an apologist anyway. It's the way of the boards. The sky is falling early and often, until it is not. Then it is back falling again once the season ends. On to the next one. Yelling at other posters about firing coaches and ADs when it will do nothing to change ODU's fundraising, budget balancing or anything else. Rinse and repeat. Watching this behavior about once of month is quite the behavioral science project.

In the meantime, Monarch basketball is here and they have 22 remaining regular season games to gain some toughness and play better. And I'm not entirely convinced that they won't. Go Monarchs.

By the way @Giles, how would we look with Haynes's subpar jump shot these days? Do we have one player out there with a better offensive rating so far?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 11-20-2018 11:00 AM

(11-20-2018 10:29 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  
(11-20-2018 09:51 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  because coaches always do what they think will improve a player. The Webbs tried dearly to change the shots of Keith Thomas and Mike Williams during their time here. Blaine tried to do something with Palmore. I'm not any happier with the way things are going than anyone else here, but how about we stop looking at every single thing as an indictment of this program? Some people here have absolutely lost any perspective. And, frankly, I don't give a damn whether Jones stays or goes, so let's not paint me as some JJ apologist, cause it ain't true.

But you're going to be painted an apologist anyway. It's the way of the boards. The sky is falling early and often, until it is not. Then it is back falling again once the season ends. On to the next one. Yelling at other posters about firing coaches and ADs when it will do nothing to change ODU's fundraising, budget balancing or anything else. Rinse and repeat. Watching this behavior about once of month is quite the behavioral science project.

In the meantime, Monarch basketball is here and they have 22 remaining regular season games to gain some toughness and play better. And I'm not entirely convinced that they won't. Go Monarchs.

By the way @Giles, how would we look with Haynes's subpar jump shot these days? Do we have one player out there with a better offensive rating so far?

Ezikpe, Wade, Caver, and Dickens have better offensive ratings. Kitchcart is right below.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 11-20-2018 11:05 AM

(11-20-2018 10:29 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  But you're going to be painted an apologist anyway. It's the way of the boards. The sky is falling early and often, until it is not. Then it is back falling again once the season ends. On to the next one. Yelling at other posters about firing coaches and ADs when it will do nothing to change ODU's fundraising, budget balancing or anything else. Rinse and repeat. Watching this behavior about once of month is quite the behavioral science project.

To be fair, there are only one or two posters who do this. The poster in question has become very good at dominating any thread. Quite a talent, honestly. It's entertaining to me personally, but I can see how it can be frustrating to read.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 11-20-2018 11:07 AM

(11-20-2018 11:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Ezikpe, Wade, Caver, and Dickens have better offensive ratings. Kitchcart is right below.

Sample size must be a real thing to address here

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 11-20-2018 11:07 AM

(11-20-2018 11:07 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(11-20-2018 11:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Ezikpe, Wade, Caver, and Dickens have better offensive ratings. Kitchcart is right below.

Sample size must be a real thing to address here

Simply answering a question

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - EverRespect - 11-20-2018 11:27 AM

(11-20-2018 11:05 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(11-20-2018 10:29 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  But you're going to be painted an apologist anyway. It's the way of the boards. The sky is falling early and often, until it is not. Then it is back falling again once the season ends. On to the next one. Yelling at other posters about firing coaches and ADs when it will do nothing to change ODU's fundraising, budget balancing or anything else. Rinse and repeat. Watching this behavior about once of month is quite the behavioral science project.

To be fair, there are only one or two posters who do this. The poster in question has become very good at dominating any thread. Quite a talent, honestly. It's entertaining to me personally, but I can see how it can be frustrating to read.

My post was an observation about our historically poor shooting. Our recruits have plenty to work on... defense, rebounding, ball handling, strategic thinking, movement without the ball, etc. If they are a good shooter like Hueitt and Godwin, I don't think changing their shot should be a focus. The post had nothing to do with firing anyone, painting anyone as an apologist, or about any other individual poster or group of posters at all. Honestly, if you don't want to read opinions about the coaches or AD, it is probably best not to introduce them into the conversation.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 11-20-2018 11:30 AM

I have no knowledge of what the poster was talking about, but trying to get a shooter to stay balanced is not altering their shooting motion.