CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 (/thread-823407.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 10-11-2018 07:59 AM

There’s no reason we should win recruiting battles over missouri Or Wichita State or a number of other schools that we have one recruiting battles over You’re talking about what 18-year-old kids are influenced by It’s not always the best program or the best facilities or the best coach. Sometimes they could simply enjoy the visit

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 10-11-2018 08:16 AM

I don't really understand the obsession here with JMU? I get the feeling people would be less bothered if Longwood or Radford got this guy. It's time to realize JMU is not a rival, and they haven't been ever since we left CAA. After this season we won't be playing them until another conference realignment (if they ever decide to move up, but they probably won't). Perhaps there is some nostalgia factor with them? I just don't get it.

If a recruit thinks he can make a bigger impact at a lesser program, I don't see why we should be so upset. Good luck to him! Time to move on.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 10-11-2018 08:24 AM

Hyperbole reigns supreme.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODUBB35 - 10-11-2018 08:34 AM

An NCAA Bid in the near future would fix a lot of the issues expressed on these boards. Until then, every recruiting target that we lose to another school will be under scrutiny. In the offseason, that's pretty much all we can judge a program on.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - jumpshooter - 10-11-2018 08:34 AM

My friend the ardent VCU fan (and large $ supporter) told me they've been "in" with 4 4* kids, and have lost every one. At least one was local. It happens everywhere. Would I like to have Christmas? Yep. I would have liked JR, Alonzo, Iverson and a dozen others that passes us by. One lasting memory I have is of Mourning at his Va Hall of Fame induction profusely thanking Paul Webb for being such a notable influence on him during his formative hoops years. I forget, where did he go to college?

On another topic, I had a chance to watch most of a recent W&M practice. They are VERY good.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - monarx - 10-11-2018 09:09 AM

(10-11-2018 08:16 AM)odu09 Wrote:  I don't really understand the obsession here with JMU? I get the feeling people would be less bothered if Longwood or Radford got this guy. It's time to realize JMU is not a rival, and they haven't been ever since we left CAA. After this season we won't be playing them until another conference realignment (if they ever decide to move up, but they probably won't). Perhaps there is some nostalgia factor with them? I just don't get it.

If a recruit thinks he can make a bigger impact at a lesser program, I don't see why we should be so upset. Good luck to him! Time to move on.

I don't get why people think that JMU is not a rival. They're an in state school with similar resources and athletic profile. Soon to have even better facilities. We have a long history of competing against them. We go after the same students, the same recruits, the same exposure. We want to be in the same conference. They are as much, and maybe more of a rival that VCU. Us claiming JMU is not a rival is as ridiculous as VCU claiming we are not a rival of theirs. We're all fighting for the same thing, to be generally accepted as the third best sports program in the state. Liberty may wind up beating us all to the punch. Just my opinion.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 10-11-2018 10:16 AM

(10-11-2018 09:09 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-11-2018 08:16 AM)odu09 Wrote:  I don't really understand the obsession here with JMU? I get the feeling people would be less bothered if Longwood or Radford got this guy. It's time to realize JMU is not a rival, and they haven't been ever since we left CAA. After this season we won't be playing them until another conference realignment (if they ever decide to move up, but they probably won't). Perhaps there is some nostalgia factor with them? I just don't get it.

I don't get why people think that JMU is not a rival. They're an in state school with similar resources and athletic profile. Soon to have even better facilities. We have a long history of competing against them. We go after the same students, the same recruits, the same exposure. We want to be in the same conference. They are as much, and maybe more of a rival that VCU. Us claiming JMU is not a rival is as ridiculous as VCU claiming we are not a rival of theirs. We're all fighting for the same thing, to be generally accepted as the third best sports program in the state. Liberty may wind up beating us all to the punch. Just my opinion.

The only thing we share in common is a past conference mate and we play sports in the state of Virginia. Do they want to be in the same conference? I get the impression over on their boards that they think CUSA is a joke and would rather be the king of FCS.

VCU is a rival in basketball because our basketball programs were always fighting for the top spot in an old conference.. JMU is the doormat of the CAA. They are not a basketball rival. And we will probably never play them in football, so how can they be a rival in football?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - FearTheLion - 10-11-2018 10:19 AM

Yea, we might be fighting for that third best sports spot but JMU is not close to it if you are including hoops in your criteria. And their football is not even out of the lower subdivision. They are not a rival of ours. And head-to-head factual data bears it out in 90% of all sports they compete in.

The only thing JMU does that rivals ours is these stupid debates that pervade both message boards.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dominion - 10-11-2018 11:09 AM

This year JMU would kick our ass in football. So you are right. We are not their rival.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 10-11-2018 11:31 AM

(10-11-2018 11:09 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  This year JMU would kick our ass in football. So you are right. We are not their rival.

After the VT game, how can you be so confident? This team is capable of beating and losing to pretty much anyone outside the top 25.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 10-11-2018 11:46 AM

(10-11-2018 11:09 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  This year JMU would kick our ass in football. So you are right. We are not their rival.

I remember when we were in FCS and we thought we could beat FBS teams. You would think our fans would know as well as anyone about the gap between FCS and FBS.

I know we are down this year, but after watching them vs. NC STate and Elon, it would be hard for me to imagine them "kicking our ass" in football this year. Elon had 500 yards on them.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - FearTheLion - 10-11-2018 11:57 AM

I'll let Elon's football program take care of the response to this one.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Old Dominion - 10-11-2018 12:08 PM

I'm expressing my frustration with the team more than stating what I think is a reality. I keep forgetting you guys can't "hear " my sarcasm.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - monarx - 10-11-2018 12:11 PM

Some of you guys must be young. JMU hasn't always sucked. There was a fierce hoops rivalry with them in the 90s at one point drawing over 9,000 to Scope for a conference game. The fired Lefty and then they started a downward spiral. They have a more engaged fan base, soon to be better facilities. They'll be on the rise soon enough. And when I say they want to be in the same conference as us, I mean that we both want to be in the AAC. Their plans for a 40,000 stadium may very well get them there.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Gilesfan - 10-11-2018 12:24 PM

They just had a game with 18k people and want to build a 40k stadium?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - ODU804 - 10-11-2018 12:30 PM

(10-11-2018 12:24 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  They just had a game with 18k people and want to build a 40k stadium?

Pot calling the kettle black. We have used gimmicks to "sell out" our 20K stadium for a few years and did not sell out our home opener and we are complaining that we are only adding a couple thousand seats with our new stadium. If we went to 30K right now without a conference upgrade we would be playing in front of a 1/3 empty stadium at best.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 10-11-2018 12:34 PM

(10-11-2018 12:11 PM)monarx Wrote:  Some of you guys must be young. JMU hasn't always sucked. There was a fierce hoops rivalry with them in the 90s at one point drawing over 9,000 to Scope for a conference game. The fired Lefty and then they started a downward spiral. They have a more engaged fan base, soon to be better facilities. They'll be on the rise soon enough. And when I say they want to be in the same conference as us, I mean that we both want to be in the AAC. Their plans for a 40,000 stadium may very well get them there.

There are plenty of bad teams playing in nice arenas. JMU has sucked for 20+ years. A new stadium won't change that.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Can't Tame the Lion - 10-11-2018 12:35 PM

Ridiculous - we win this game easy (see Elon).

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchist13 - 10-11-2018 12:35 PM

(10-11-2018 12:24 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  They just had a game with 18k people and want to build a 40k stadium?

They had plans drawn up for future phases when they last renovated. That doesn't mean they'll ever get built.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Can't Tame the Lion - 10-11-2018 12:36 PM

(10-11-2018 12:34 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(10-11-2018 12:11 PM)monarx Wrote:  Some of you guys must be young. JMU hasn't always sucked. There was a fierce hoops rivalry with them in the 90s at one point drawing over 9,000 to Scope for a conference game. The fired Lefty and then they started a downward spiral. They have a more engaged fan base, soon to be better facilities. They'll be on the rise soon enough. And when I say they want to be in the same conference as us, I mean that we both want to be in the AAC. Their plans for a 40,000 stadium may very well get them there.

There are plenty of bad teams playing in nice arenas. JMU has sucked for 20+ years. A new stadium won't change that.

Truth