CSNbbs
CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll (/thread-821767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-19-2017 10:50 AM

(07-19-2017 10:14 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 10:06 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 09:13 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 08:25 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  And of the three wkcc fans are the only ones that universally put their school first. We're all very surprised.

Kudos to the ODU and La Tech fans for some objectivity.

And......Of the 3 fanbases only one school is coming off of Back to Back CUSA championship....How does the saying go again?

Actually, there is another who has back to back titles but in basketball. And not all MT fans voted #1. As a result your logic has been refuted.

If we are being correct that would be back to back tourney champions.....

UAB won the regular season by 3 games two years ago. So that's not quite the same, now is it. As a result your logic has been refuted.

Yes it is the same. I personally think regular season championships are important but the one that everyone else has decided that matters the most is the tournament.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-19-2017 10:53 AM

(07-19-2017 10:19 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 08:25 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  And of the three wkcc fans are the only ones that universally put their school first. We're all very surprised.

And......Of the 3 fanbases only one school is coming off of Back to Back CUSA championship....How does the saying go again?

Actually, there is another who has back to back titles but in basketball. And not all MT fans voted #1. As a result your logic has been refuted.

You lost your "QB" /heart in hoops and another player who had one of the greatest seasons ever in history of your program...Let's see how you do without those two first before we crown you champions again.....

LMAO. Cause you lost nothing to your football program.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - owlcountry40 - 07-19-2017 11:56 AM

(07-19-2017 09:41 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 07:44 AM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 05:27 AM)blazr Wrote:  1. ODU
2. WKU
3. UTSA - Lots of weapons & slightly better overall than MTSU
4. MTSU
5. LT
6. UNT
7. USM
8. Marshall - Splitting the difference here...they could rally together but I have a feeling their season could go off the rails and fast if they don't start strong.
9. UAB - It takes a true believer to accomplish unprecedented things and Clark is a true believer if there ever was one. No, I don't think he can will UAB to victories, but I think he has naturally recruited true believers and more talent than should have been remotely possible. Could finish lower but could finish surprisingly high, too (possibly 6 wins and a bowl). The case for the latter is helped by the state of UTEP and Rice.
10. FAU - Is having Lane Kiffen a good thing anymore? I think at the G5 level it is somewhat, but he's got a rather low ceiling...both personally and at FAU. I think he's focused on building his resume, too, and in contrast to Clark that is not the stuff of a true believer.

11. Charlotte
12. FIU
13. UTEP
14. Rice

I also don't think the W/L records will line up with the rankings above as teams in the East will beat each other up more so than in the West. Especially if the best case scenario plays out in Huntington.
Mr. Blazr, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Everyone gets these foggy glasses and refuse to look at facts when it come to Lane. Lane in his 1st at UT year had a two game improvement including Mount Cody block away from beating then number one Bama. At USC he goes 8-5 then 10-2 and started to struggle when they the scholarships loss hit the full 30 players. He goes to Bama and finishes top 4 team in the country 3 years he is there. Makes really avg QB's like Blake Sims and Jacob Coaker look like world beaters. Yet Bill Clark who has one 6-6 season with 1 win over team with winning record yet they will TRUE BELIVE there way to 9th best team in the conference. FAU returns 88 percent of the roster off a team that started 3 seniors last year and only 2 upper classmen on the entire defense wont be good because you think you have Lane pinned down.

To be fair, FAU did give up 77 points to a team without at QB the last time they took the field. So, I mean...

Everyone has view and they are often skewed by predisposed perceptions. How many of these are truly objective? Less than one hand full I would bet. I actually see FAU as one of the more improved teams in the league and if FAU is improved and Marshall is improved his opening remark has merit. We may well beat up on each other in the east.
Yea again with the D we started 9 so/fr last year and that particular games we were missing a few strong players. Coach Roc was also incompetent. We hired a FCS LB coach to be a coordinator.
We also scored 56 in that game with 4 turnovers If we don't turn it over game might have never stopped.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Monarchist13 - 07-19-2017 01:18 PM

OwlCountry, you may be the most optimistic fan on this board. Saw these while looking at season predictions from 2015 and 2016.

(07-10-2015 02:31 PM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  FAU lost 4 games on the final play and we beat you guys.
We have senior QB and the best online we have had in a decade.
Throw in a very strong class and a more favorable schedule I see better the 3 wins.
C-USA teams are about the same any ways there is not much difference between the team that goes 3-9 and 9-3 in this league.
75 percent of the C-USA games I watch come down to the final drive.
Even Marshall last year was loosing to us for much of the game including the 3 really bad calls called against us.
Please stop pretending how we know how any team will finish this year.

(06-30-2016 09:47 AM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  Yes we only lost 12 players to graduation.
With the few years of recruiting we have had we are going to be real good this year.
We are flat our loaded with talent his year.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - cb4029 - 07-19-2017 01:29 PM

(07-19-2017 01:18 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  OwlCountry, you may be the most optimistic fan on this board. Saw these while looking at season predictions from 2015 and 2016.

(07-10-2015 02:31 PM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  FAU lost 4 games on the final play and we beat you guys.
We have senior QB and the best online we have had in a decade.
Throw in a very strong class and a more favorable schedule I see better the 3 wins.
C-USA teams are about the same any ways there is not much difference between the team that goes 3-9 and 9-3 in this league.
75 percent of the C-USA games I watch come down to the final drive.
Even Marshall last year was loosing to us for much of the game including the 3 really bad calls called against us.
Please stop pretending how we know how any team will finish this year.

(06-30-2016 09:47 AM)owlcountry40 Wrote:  Yes we only lost 12 players to graduation.
With the few years of recruiting we have had we are going to be real good this year.
We are flat our loaded with talent his year.

Owlcountry is an idiot. I hate you owlcountry. Anyone who picked UAB last is an idiot. I hate all of you. I will return after the season is over to remind you of your stupidity.

P.S. I hate you. 05-stirthepot

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - dahbeed - 07-19-2017 01:39 PM

(07-19-2017 10:21 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 08:23 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 01:11 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 12:48 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 11:29 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  So more La Tech fans voted their football team #1 (62.5%) than Western basketball fans did (60.0%). Are their football fans pompous? They haven't finished #1 in football yet but still voted themselves champs. Western fans who have witnessed 2 years of steamrolling (21-1) are culpable because why?

At least Western gives you a reason to get up every day. Keeping (trying) us in our place. (First place. lol)

Yep, we should all just cancel the season and go ahead and crown y'all the champs. No reason to play the games I reckon. You've clearly earned this year's championship already.

This is just a friendly poll. That's all. Nobody will be crowned. Unlike the last 2 seasons when you listed myriad reasons that Western wouldn't finish first on the way to consecutive crowns. Two years ago you beat the drum of bad defense and last year you cried no Doughty. Both of those times you were wrong. But you're right this time. Put us at the bottom with Rice. No?

Wrong on a lot of accounts. As for your defense two years ago if you don't get the two UAB transfers (especially the D-Linemen) your defense would have still stunk. I never even contemplated what type of impact they would have. No one did. I guess it is better to be lucky than good sometimes. And you know this as well as I do that was a major factor in the defense being improved.

As for post Doughty, I never said you wouldn't win. All I said is that he would be hard to replace. Brohm showed just how good of a coach he is by turning White into something more than serviceable. Credit where it is due. I'm not saying he will or won't this year, but I think one of the top story lines is how well White plays without him. I'm not making a prediction. Just think it's an interesting story.

Are you sure about the bold part? Maybe you need your memory refreshed? Say the word and I will refresh it for you with quotes.

I remember it going something like this....

All Western's defense needs to do is improve getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down by 10 or 15 % and with the additions of the two UAB players and just improvement from year to year that should be easy to do.

You are others (Marshall fans) refused to believe that could happen.

Now that isn't a word for word quote. But I bet it went closer to that than the bold part in your post. Again...you want the quotes?

You also pointed out how many young people played massive minutes the year before and pointed out if they just made the normal progression that our Defense could be 10% to 15% better on 3rd and 4th down.

It's hard to believe that someone that prides himself on his massive intellect like tibl does thinks 2 players out of 11 turns one of the statistically worse defenses into one of the statistically best defenses in the conference. Omarius Bryant was very near as good a pickup from juco as Jontavious Morris was from UAB on the dee line. Nick Newton and Nick Holt had great senior seasons along with TJ McCollum. Prince Charles Iworah and Wonderful Terry had great senior seasons.

But the 2 UAB players singlehandedly won the conference. It's hard to believe that tibl is that simple. Maybe he does believe in 'luck'.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-19-2017 02:00 PM

(07-19-2017 01:39 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 01:11 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 12:48 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Yep, we should all just cancel the season and go ahead and crown y'all the champs. No reason to play the games I reckon. You've clearly earned this year's championship already.

This is just a friendly poll. That's all. Nobody will be crowned. Unlike the last 2 seasons when you listed myriad reasons that Western wouldn't finish first on the way to consecutive crowns. Two years ago you beat the drum of bad defense and last year you cried no Doughty. Both of those times you were wrong. But you're right this time. Put us at the bottom with Rice. No?

Wrong on a lot of accounts. As for your defense two years ago if you don't get the two UAB transfers (especially the D-Linemen) your defense would have still stunk. I never even contemplated what type of impact they would have. No one did. I guess it is better to be lucky than good sometimes. And you know this as well as I do that was a major factor in the defense being improved.

As for post Doughty, I never said you wouldn't win. All I said is that he would be hard to replace. Brohm showed just how good of a coach he is by turning White into something more than serviceable. Credit where it is due. I'm not saying he will or won't this year, but I think one of the top story lines is how well White plays without him. I'm not making a prediction. Just think it's an interesting story.

Are you sure about the bold part? Maybe you need your memory refreshed? Say the word and I will refresh it for you with quotes.

All Western's defense needs to do is improve getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down by 10 or 15 % and with the additions of the two UAB players and just improvement from year to year that should be easy to do.

Now that isn't a word for word quote. But I bet it went closer to that than the bold part in your post. Again...you want the quotes?

You also pointed out how many young people played massive minutes the year before and pointed out if they just made the normal progression that our Defense could be 10% to 15% better on 3rd and 4th down.

It's hard to believe that someone that prides himself on his massive intellect like tibl does thinks 2 players out of 11 turns one of the statistically worse defenses into one of the statistically best defenses in the conference. Omarius Bryant was very near as good a pickup from juco as Jontavious Morris was from UAB on the dee line. Nick Newton and Nick Holt had great senior seasons along with TJ McCollum. Prince Charles Iworah and Wonderful Terry had great senior seasons.

But the 2 UAB players singlehandedly won the conference. It's hard to believe that tibl is that simple. Maybe he does believe in 'luck'.

Typically, I would agree with this sentiment, except at one position and that is defensive tackle. One elite DT can change the whole dichotomy of the defense, but you already know that. Morris wasn't elite but was good. Having both Morris and Bryant allowed y'all's defense to solidify the front four while providing depth. And all McCollum did is rack up 100+ tackles. But he probably doesn't make as many tackles if it weren't for Morris. That was the one addition that made that 10 to 15% happen or whatever the number was (which was probably a lot more than 10 to 15%).

Again, this is why I see a lot of similarities between where we are now and where you guys were then. The 2014 wkcc defense was worse than the one we had last year. We just need a 13 to 16% bump in our total defensive statistics and we have a top 50 defense - which is probably enough to win the league.

Problem is we don't have the defensive line to do it and we damn sure don't have the right coach in that position. See, dabeed that DT position is very important - as important as the QB. That one position is going to cost us 2 to 3 games this year. Cheers.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - WKUFan518 - 07-19-2017 02:40 PM

(07-19-2017 10:53 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 10:19 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  

You lost your "QB" /heart in hoops and another player who had one of the greatest seasons ever in history of your program...Let's see how you do without those two first before we crown you champions again.....

LMAO. Cause you lost nothing to your football program.

Football lot easier to overcome losses with 11 players on the field, basketball not so much with only 5 players allowed on court....

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - FIUFan - 07-19-2017 02:47 PM

Since the other Panther fans responded:

1. WKU
2. ODU
3. LA Tech
4. MT
5. USM
6. UTSA
7. UNT
8. FIU
9. Charlotte
10. UTEP
11. Rice
12. FAU
13. Marshall
14. UAB

See you in September.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - dahbeed - 07-19-2017 02:53 PM

(07-19-2017 02:00 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 01:39 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 01:11 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  This is just a friendly poll. That's all. Nobody will be crowned. Unlike the last 2 seasons when you listed myriad reasons that Western wouldn't finish first on the way to consecutive crowns. Two years ago you beat the drum of bad defense and last year you cried no Doughty. Both of those times you were wrong. But you're right this time. Put us at the bottom with Rice. No?

Typically, I would agree with this sentiment, except at one position and that is defensive tackle. One elite DT can change the whole dichotomy of the defense, but you already know that. Morris wasn't elite but was good. Having both Morris and Bryant allowed y'all's defense to solidify the front four while providing depth. And all McCollum did is rack up 100+ tackles. But he probably doesn't make as many tackles if it weren't for Morris. That was the one addition that made that 10 to 15% happen or whatever the number was (which was probably a lot more than 10 to 15%).

Again, this is why I see a lot of similarities between where we are now and where you guys were then. The 2014 wkcc defense was worse than the one we had last year. We just need a 13 to 16% bump in our total defensive statistics and we have a top 50 defense - which is probably enough to win the league.

Problem is we don't have the defensive line to do it and we damn sure don't have the right coach in that position. See, dabeed that DT position is very important - as important as the QB. That one position is going to cost us 2 to 3 games this year. Cheers.

I do know how the DL sets up the entire defense. You were the one claiming Jontavious and TJ won the league. You probably had no idea who Omarius Bryant was.

He had arguably just as good a year as Jontavious. Slightly lower stats but not by much.

Tackles. Morris 34 Bryant 30
Tackles for loss Morris 5 Bryant 3.5
Sacks Morris 2 Bryant 1.5

And it honestly took Omar about 5 games in to get acclimated to FBS football from Juco. He dominated the second half of the season. He and Jon Jon were monsters on the dee line. Omar was huge for us there last season when the defense was even better. Last year we brought in Chris Johnson as a juco and he had the same impact at the position. We were very fortunate on the recruiting front to land Omar and Chris out of Juco and both produce the way they did.

But we're agreeing here as much as disagreeing about the importance of the DL. Brohm knew it needed help and wooed Jontavious here from UAB and Bryant from Juco. I hope Sanford and his defensive coordinator know how big that position is. We went from small there to very nice size and nasty.

As impressive as TJ's 106 tackles that season were Brandon Leston's 96 tackles from the strong safety position. Most of our fans hated Brandon because you had to put up with his penalties. I was probably the only guy in Hilltopper land that loved him because he set the tone for the dee. And that tone was nasty.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-19-2017 03:05 PM

Fortunate or just good personnel management?

Whatever we are doing at MT with respect to the DL, we should do the opposite cause it ain't working.

Stockstill seems like to take high school kids that project as big DE's (i.e. 250/260ish) and try to develop them in DTs later in life through the weight and nutrition route. Problem is the body type doesn't translate no matter how much weight they try to put on them. It's almost like Stockstill has given up on trying to land true DTs.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Luckyshot - 07-19-2017 03:55 PM

The talk of DL above seems like a good segue into Southern Miss in 2017 :)

Our DL will be great as will our Secondary. The LBs should be improved and faster than last year. I expect to lead the league in yards per game again. Whether we'll also lead in scoring D has more to do with the offense.

Our WRs will be improved and all the RBs return for 2017, so those are strengths. We have a TE on the Award Watches for a reason, also. OL has some wholes to fill and of course . . . new QB! The improved WRs will be a big help for the new QB. The biggest drop-off from 2015 to 2016 at USM were the WRs. If we can protect the QBs and they can be just good enough to stop other teams from stacking the box, we will be improved in 2017. If the QBs turn the ball over and take sacs rather than keep the Ds honest, or we run every play to avoid the previous, then we will fail miserably.

Hopefully the D can score some points as well, as all our best Ds in the past scored at will and that would really help the new QBs get comfortable if they didn't have to carry the whole scoring load.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - dahbeed - 07-19-2017 04:15 PM

(07-19-2017 03:05 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Fortunate or just good personnel management?

Whatever we are doing at MT with respect to the DL, we should do the opposite cause it ain't working.

Stockstill seems like to take high school kids that project as big DE's (i.e. 250/260ish) and try to develop them in DTs later in life through the weight and nutrition route. Problem is the body type doesn't translate no matter how much weight they try to put on them. It's almost like Stockstill has given up on trying to land true DTs.

Good conversation. I think both of us believe a good defense starts up front.

I've always been taught a good defense starts up the middle. Same for baseball as football. Good dee at catcher, good at 2b and SS and good in CF. Then build your football same way. Good at DT, good at MLB and then your Safeties.

Brohm's first year we were severely undersized. We do sign guys out of h.s. For this position but the 3 biggest impact guys I can name recently were 1 txfer and 2 jucos. I guess with jucos you don't put up with the growing pains of them getting big. They're insta-big. It's motor from there. I know if you look at our roster this year almost every single DL has a redshirt year. We have a RS Jr named Julienne Lewis that saw a lot of action last year as this is a rotational position for sure. He's up to 6'3 and 300 out of Bob Jones high school in Madison Alabama. We have another 6'3 and 300 pounder who's a RS Jr. Also from Paducah Ky in Evan Saynor. He was mostly special teams lineman last year. Both of those are homegrown. Let's see how they do their upper class years.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Cnelson203 - 07-19-2017 04:19 PM

(07-18-2017 09:43 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:31 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  keep picking us last. I like it. This will be a fun season.

Marshall fans likewise have a surprisingly low number of poll participants, at least compared to the number of active posters on this forum. (That may be explained by the fact that neither UAB nor Marshall fielded a football team last season.)

More likely that we Marshall fans were humbled last year, and have no idea what to think of this year. That's certainly how I feel.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - dahbeed - 07-19-2017 04:24 PM

(07-19-2017 04:19 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:31 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  keep picking us last. I like it. This will be a fun season.

Marshall fans likewise have a surprisingly low number of poll participants, at least compared to the number of active posters on this forum. (That may be explained by the fact that neither UAB nor Marshall fielded a football team last season.)

More likely that we Marshall fans were humbled last year, and have no idea what to think of this year. That's certainly how I feel.

Try going 0-26 for a stretch. Hell it might have been 0-28. Makes you appreciate what we have now. Why I stay humble about it.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - MarshallHerdFanz - 07-19-2017 04:38 PM

(07-19-2017 04:24 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 04:19 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  

Try going 0-26 for a stretch. Hell it might have been 0-28. Makes you appreciate what we have now. Why I stay humble about it.

Try being the team to lose to a team with a double digit loss streak. We ended UCFs streak in the mid 2000s.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - cb4029 - 07-19-2017 04:38 PM

(07-19-2017 03:05 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Fortunate or just good personnel management?

I call that the Neil Callaway d-line. Except he would actually recruit jucos who were the proper size. The problem was, they were injured when he would recruit them, and they never made it to campus. His recruiting sucked. This is one position most of our schools will always need jucos to get the size. But you can develop high school guys also to even the mix. I prefer high school kids, but I expect jucos to come in and fill the holes. I think our team will need another juco lineman in the 2019 class to keep us stacked. Relying on bulking up players is so hit and miss it's almost stupid. We did find some guys who did play well undersized, but they would have been so much better playing on the outside or next to a true space eating DT who could help take the attention off them. We never really had a good space eater up front back then.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-19-2017 04:43 PM

We did pick up a JC tackle during the mid-term period. Rosheem Collins. I pretty much have to assume he will be starting. The problem is with Tommy West as the DC line coach however good he was when he came in is as good as he is going to be and just hope he doesn't get worse.

http://247sports.com/player/rosheem-collins-78238

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ODU2017 - 07-19-2017 05:50 PM

I want to preface this by reminding everyone that ODU was picked to finish 6th in the east last year. That is to say we are all probably in for a surprise team or two.

1. WKU
2. LA Tech
3. ODU (only conference loss will be to WKU. Again.)
4. UTSA
5. MTSU
6. So. Miss
^ ELITE ^
v NOT ELITE v
7. UNCC
8. FAU
9. UNT
10. FIU
11. Rice
12. Marshall
13. UTEP
14. UAB

East division finishes stronger than west overall top to bottom.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ODU2017 - 07-19-2017 05:53 PM

Oh also my definition of an "elite" team is one that only loses to other elite tier teams in the conference. If there aren't any surprises the top 6 shouldn't lose a single game to the bottom 8.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app