CSNbbs
Bill C B1G power ranking - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big10bbs (/forum-259.html)
+---- Forum: Big 10 Conference Talk (/forum-167.html)
+---- Thread: Bill C B1G power ranking (/thread-821644.html)

Bill C B1G power ranking - TerpsNPhoenix - 07-10-2017 08:48 PM

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/7/10/15932520/big-ten-football-2017-power-rankings-ohio-state

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - goofus - 07-11-2017 05:23 PM

I know its early, but i would rank them this way. Just my opinion

1. Penn St
PSU clearly got screwed last year, winning the conference and beating OSU head to head, yet OSU got the playoff spot. Anyway that was last year. PSU returns a lot of talent from last year's conference champs and will still have a chip on thier shoulder.

2. Ohio st
OSU will always be near the top. Its the only given every year.

3. Wisc
Wisc is the top team in the west

4. NW
NW could be a dark horse to win the west, or they could finish in 5th in the west.

5. Mich loses a lot from last years team that could not beat OSU even when it had more veterans. Mich will drop off this year.

6. Iowa
Passing game will suck, but defense and running game should be good.

7. Neb
Time for Mike Riley to step it up. 0-2 against both Wisc and Iowa his first 2 years.

8. Minn
9. Indy
10. ILL
11. MD
12. MSU
13. Pur
14. Rut

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - GE and MTS - 07-11-2017 06:07 PM

Solid article that looks mostly accurate in July.

I'd put the defending Big Ten champions as first due to the number of players returning from last year's championship team. I don't see the logic putting Ohio State above Penn State with all of OSU's graduates and draftees but they recruit well. Penn State has a rough stretch of at Northwestern, Michigan, at Ohio State, and at Michigan State consecutively. Luckily there is a bye before Michigan but that doesn't make the opponents any easier.

I think Ohio State is clearly the #2 team to beat and after that it gets tricky. I'd defer to Wisconsin as the #3 since they return so much more than Michigan, my #4. That's about it for my "contenders" to win the league championship this year. I'll go out on a limb and put Nebraska #5 and Northwestern #6. I think Maryland and Rutgers are making progress but it won't show up this year. I think Michigan State bounces back some at #7.

Maryland #8, Minnesota #9, Iowa #10, Indiana #11, Purdue #12, Rutgers #13, Illinois #14.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - goofus - 07-11-2017 07:51 PM

(07-11-2017 06:07 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Solid article that looks mostly accurate in July.

I'd put the defending Big Ten champions as first due to the number of players returning from last year's championship team. I don't see the logic putting Ohio State above Penn State with all of OSU's graduates and draftees but they recruit well. Penn State has a rough stretch of at Northwestern, Michigan, at Ohio State, and at Michigan State consecutively. Luckily there is a bye before Michigan but that doesn't make the opponents any easier.

I think Ohio State is clearly the #2 team to beat and after that it gets tricky. I'd defer to Wisconsin as the #3 since they return so much more than Michigan, my #4. That's about it for my "contenders" to win the league championship this year. I'll go out on a limb and put Nebraska #5 and Northwestern #6. I think Maryland and Rutgers are making progress but it won't show up this year. I think Michigan State bounces back some at #7.

Maryland #8, Minnesota #9, Iowa #10, Indiana #11, Purdue #12, Rutgers #13, Illinois #14.

Normally i would bet on MSU bouncing back, but they fell so far last year and they had so many off field problems, i think they are in for a rough year.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - RutgersGuy - 07-12-2017 11:42 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rutgers finishes 6-6 and goes bowling. Wins over Morgan St, E. Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana and Maryland.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - Hokie Mark - 07-12-2017 03:52 PM

(07-12-2017 11:42 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rutgers finishes 6-6 and goes bowling. Wins over Morgan St, E. Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana and Maryland.

When is the Maryland / Rutgers game played? I could see the winner going to a bowl while the loser stays home.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - GE and MTS - 07-12-2017 08:13 PM

(07-12-2017 11:42 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rutgers finishes 6-6 and goes bowling. Wins over Morgan St, E. Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana and Maryland.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Rutgers going to a bowl. I think they are a year away but things are moving in the right direction. If they weer in the western division then I'd say they probably make a bowl but with the big three at the top of the east plus Michigan State, it is hard for anyone else to break through.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - RutgersGuy - 07-12-2017 08:21 PM

(07-12-2017 03:52 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

When is the Maryland / Rutgers game played? I could see the winner going to a bowl while the loser stays home.

It's not the last game of the year this year. Maryland closes with PSU. We play them in Yankee Stadium though.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - RutgersGuy - 07-12-2017 08:22 PM

(07-12-2017 08:13 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

It wouldn't surprise me to see Rutgers going to a bowl. I think they are a year away but things are moving in the right direction. If they weer in the western division then I'd say they probably make a bowl but with the big three at the top of the east plus Michigan State, it is hard for anyone else to break through.

Well MSU is struggling now, I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them but lost to one of the other teams I have down for a win like Indiana.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - chrisRU - 07-17-2017 07:52 PM

If Rutgers goes 6-6 Chris Ash will be in the COY conversation.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - TerpsNPhoenix - 07-19-2017 05:06 AM

(07-12-2017 03:52 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Maryland isn't going bowling this year. They are more talented than last year but the schedule is much more difficult. They win somewhere between 3 and 5 games. To go bowling they need to win @Minnesota or Northwestern. That is with wins over MSU, Indiana, Rutgers (UCF and Towson OOC) and I'm not sure all that happens.

RE: Bill C B1G power ranking - megadrone - 07-19-2017 01:36 PM

We could also be 2-10, though 4-8 is likely.