CSNbbs
Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement (/thread-821585.html)

Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - High Country Student - 07-09-2017 08:41 PM

With a conference championship game in play, could we see a conference champion overtake a geographical fit in a larger bowl due to the extra notoriety of a bigger matchup in a more premier game? (wordy sentence but you get the point)

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - Michael in Raleigh - 07-09-2017 08:56 PM

(07-09-2017 08:41 PM)High Country Student Wrote:  With a conference championship game in play, could we see a conference champion overtake a geographical fit in a larger bowl due to the extra notoriety of a bigger matchup in a more premier game? (wordy sentence but you get the point)

No. The Cajuns are going to the NO Bowl as long as they're bowl eligible. This was discussed in a thread about 50 pages long back in December.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - arkstfan - 07-10-2017 12:56 AM

The only flaw in the current Sun Belt bowl situation is where the New Orleans Bowl fits in.
Since the 2009 season New Orleans has taken a champion of co-champion three times out of eight, four if you count the Cajuns as "quasi-champions" in 2014 since they had the best league record of bowl eligible teams. So out of the last 8 seasons New Orleans has elected to pass on the champion or co-champion four times (had to pass in 2014)

In that same span Mobile took a champion or co-champion four times but has passed on taking a champion or co-champion when available twice (passing on FIU in 2010 and passing on both AState and App in 2016).
2016 was the first time neither New Orleans or Mobile took a champion or co-champion.

I'd like to see the selection order changed. Starting 2018 when the championship game arrives, I'd like to see the champion if not selected for the Access Bowl have the option of selecting their game and the loser of the title game selecting their game after the champion picks. Then let the remaining bowls pick in whatever order.

If we produce an attractive champion (read ranked) that doesn't make Access odds are ESPN is going to try to cook a game against another G5 champion that might not be at a contracted Sun Belt bowl.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - TaxusExpress - 07-10-2017 06:21 AM

(07-09-2017 08:41 PM)High Country Student Wrote:  With a conference championship game in play, could we see a conference champion overtake a geographical fit in a larger bowl due to the extra notoriety of a bigger matchup in a more premier game? (wordy sentence but you get the point)

Let me put it a little blunter than Michael. The bowls and G5 programs are about money. Nothing more, nothing less. A fan's personal desire to go to, let's say New Orleans (what seems to be the location most whine about) and pull a 3 day bender doesn't matter. Your program could be 13-0, SBC champion, and lose out on the access bowl spot to another 13-0 team and it doesn't matter. If the Cajuns or USM are available, they'll go before a program geographically further away. Geography and butts in seats always come first.

Please sideline this thread. No glue left in this beaten horse.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - EigenEagle - 07-10-2017 07:14 AM

We are now a peer conference with CUSA. It's not 2012 anymore. We don't need to be putting our champion up against the 4th bowl pick from CUSA.

I for one am glad last year that Ark State didn't go to New Orleans to play a 4-4 CUSA team. Beating the slop out of an AAC team was probably better for the conference.

We need to focus on keeping the bowls happy and consider our conference rating as well.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - AppManDG - 07-10-2017 08:06 AM

Here's the conundrum I see the for G5. While I honestly like G 5 champions playing one another as opposed to a 5th place ACC or 7th place SEC team, once you take out the Access Bowl qualifier, isn't that basically the beginnings of a playoff?

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - TrueBlueDrew - 07-10-2017 09:18 AM

Since NOLA Bowl has first pick, bowl placement for the whole conference really hinges on whether ULL is bowl eligible or not.

If ULL is, then NOLA will pick ULL, which means Mobile will pick StAte, which means Montgomery will pick Troy/App, which means Cure will pick whoevers left, which means Arizona will be hoping there is an eligible SBC team left by the time it's their turn.

If ULL isn't bowl eligible, then NOLA will pick StAte, Mobile will pick Troy, Montgomery will pick App, Cure will pick whoevers left, and Arizona will pick after that.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - eaglewraith - 07-10-2017 12:27 PM

(07-10-2017 09:18 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Since NOLA Bowl has first pick, bowl placement for the whole conference really hinges on whether ULL is bowl eligible or not.

If ULL is, then NOLA will pick ULL, which means Mobile will pick StAte, which means Montgomery will pick Troy/App, which means Cure will pick whoevers left, which means Arizona will be hoping there is an eligible SBC team left by the time it's their turn.

If ULL isn't bowl eligible, then NOLA will pick StAte, Mobile will pick Troy, Montgomery will pick App, Cure will pick whoevers left, and Arizona will pick after that.

Except that didn't happen last year.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - arkstfan - 07-10-2017 12:37 PM

(07-10-2017 09:18 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Since NOLA Bowl has first pick, bowl placement for the whole conference really hinges on whether ULL is bowl eligible or not.

Didn't happen last year.
Mobile wanted Toledo-Troy
Montgomery wanted Toledo-Troy

Mobile picked ahead of Montgomery in the Sun Belt and took Troy.
Montgomery picked ahead of Mobile in the MAC and took Toledo.

So AState got passed by Mobile straight up and Montgomery wouldn't take AState because we had already played Toledo.

So we went to the fourth pick after they spent some time trying to choose between us and USA.

But for a last minute change of heart, AState would have gone to our fifth selection game.

Don't EVER assume AState is a lock to get selected by any Sun Belt affiliated game.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - Georgia_Power_Company - 07-10-2017 12:43 PM

I've always felt that the bowls we are affiliated with would want to have a team who will bring fans. To me that means stAte could be coveted by any of the current SBC bowls because they travel well. This will also be an advantage for GS and App St and probably some other SBC teams as well.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - Ewglenn - 07-10-2017 01:24 PM

(07-10-2017 06:21 AM)TaxusExpress Wrote:  

Let me put it a little blunter than Michael. The bowls and G5 programs are about money. Nothing more, nothing less. A fan's personal desire to go to, let's say New Orleans (what seems to be the location most whine about) and pull a 3 day bender doesn't matter. Your program could be 13-0, SBC champion, and lose out on the access bowl spot to another 13-0 team and it doesn't matter. If the Cajuns or USM are available, they'll go before a program geographically further away. Geography and butts in seats always come first.

I mostly agree and I know you were trying to make a point but no the bow would pass on a 13-0 App State football team. The media buzz around that would be insane and a lower bowl wouldn't give up that opportunity.

RE: Conference championship vs. Bowl placement - TaxusExpress - 07-10-2017 04:25 PM

(07-10-2017 01:24 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 06:21 AM)TaxusExpress Wrote:  

I mostly agree and I know you were trying to make a point but no the bow would pass on a 13-0 App State football team. The media buzz around that would be insane and a lower bowl wouldn't give up that opportunity.

Go 13-0 and get back with me...I'm sure a more eastern bowl closer to Boone will be the landing spot. Problem you'll have is no P5 will want to play a 13-0 G5.