CSNbbs
Question about Hockey/ACCN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Question about Hockey/ACCN (/thread-821111.html)

Pages: 1 2

Question about Hockey/ACCN - TIGER-PAUL - 06-30-2017 01:18 PM

Could the ACC televise some ND,BC or other Hockey East games on the network?

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - Hallcity - 06-30-2017 02:58 PM

(06-30-2017 01:18 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Could the ACC televise some ND,BC or other Hockey East games on the network?

I don't know about BC but Notre Dame recently moved to the B1G for ice hockey. Seriously. I think Hockey East already has a contract with NBC-SN or CBS-SN.

I've said before that if the ACC wants ice hockey on its network, it would be better to invite the stronger members of Hockey East to be associate members of the ACC. The BIG already has Notre Dame as an associate member in ice hockey and Johns Hopkins as an associate member in lacrosse. There's no reason the ACC can't add associate members. It would help get viewers for the ACC network in the Northeast. Hell, I'd be happy to have some Canadian schools as associate members even though they're not NCAA members, as long as it gets the ACC network on Canadian TVs. The Canadian schools can't seem to get their sports on TV in Canada otherwise.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - Wolfman - 07-01-2017 05:36 PM

I believe ND has a deal with NBC for Hockey.

I don't see a lot of games available but I guess one or two could make it.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - nzmorange - 07-01-2017 11:02 PM

(06-30-2017 02:58 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(06-30-2017 01:18 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Could the ACC televise some ND,BC or other Hockey East games on the network?

I don't know about BC but Notre Dame recently moved to the B1G for ice hockey. Seriously. I think Hockey East already has a contract with NBC-SN or CBS-SN.

I've said before that if the ACC wants ice hockey on its network, it would be better to invite the stronger members of Hockey East to be associate members of the ACC. The BIG already has Notre Dame as an associate member in ice hockey and Johns Hopkins as an associate member in lacrosse. There's no reason the ACC can't add associate members. It would help get viewers for the ACC network in the Northeast. Hell, I'd be happy to have some Canadian schools as associate members even though they're not NCAA members, as long as it gets the ACC network on Canadian TVs. The Canadian schools can't seem to get their sports on TV in Canada otherwise.

The ACC should invite the 6 Ivies that play hockey. I'm not sure if they'd jump because Cornell played an instrumental role in founding their conference, so it would be akin to Prov leaving the OBE, but that's the million dollar move.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - opossum - 07-01-2017 11:44 PM

(07-01-2017 11:02 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

The ACC should invite the 6 Ivies that play hockey. I'm not sure if they'd jump because Cornell played an instrumental role in founding their conference, so it would be akin to Prov leaving the OBE, but that's the million dollar move.

Why not invite all the Ivies for all sports?

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - nzmorange - 07-02-2017 12:35 AM

(07-01-2017 11:44 PM)opossum Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 11:02 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Why not invite all the Ivies for all sports?

There is a 0% chance that they'd join for football and basketball.l, and honestly, the ACC wouldn't want them to. Why dilute the payout?

Also, the Ivies are decidedly more competitive in hockey than virtually any other sport, w/ the possible exception of lax, which would be a bad add for obvious reasons. And the Ivies have the fan support to match their competence in hockey, unlike in most other sports.

EDIT: To clarify, the 6/8 Ivies compete in an official unofficial Ivy League in hockey. They're officially in the ECAC, which Cornell played an instrumental role in founding (and therefore won't leave w/o an extremely good reason). However, the Ivy crown is officially unofficially handed to the best Ivy team in the ECAC. I'm not sure if they use head to head records, ECACrecords, or overall records to determine the winner of the crown. But only Ivies are eligible.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - Wolfman - 07-02-2017 10:33 AM

(07-01-2017 11:02 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  The ACC should invite the 6 Ivies that play hockey. I'm not sure if they'd jump because Cornell played an instrumental role in founding their conference, so it would be akin to Prov leaving the OBE, but that's the million dollar move.

There is precedence. The B12 accepted 6 associate members, from multiple conferences, for wrestling. The question is, are the 6 Ivies the best programs out there?

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - nzmorange - 07-02-2017 11:16 AM

(07-02-2017 10:33 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 11:02 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  The ACC should invite the 6 Ivies that play hockey. I'm not sure if they'd jump because Cornell played an instrumental role in founding their conference, so it would be akin to Prov leaving the OBE, but that's the million dollar move.

There is precedence. The B12 accepted 6 associate members, from multiple conferences, for wrestling. The question is, are the 6 Ivies the best programs out there?
Resoundingly, yes.

6 Ivies + BC + Notre Dame = a very good conference by any reasonable metric that you want to use.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - swardy76 - 07-02-2017 10:30 PM

(07-02-2017 11:16 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Resoundingly, yes.

6 Ivies + BC + Notre Dame = a very good conference by any reasonable metric that you want to use.

Sounds good but wouldn't happen.

Hockey East is a bus league. ND got out because of the travel and the fit. There are the elite schools (Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, and Providence), The State Flagships (Vermont, Maine, UMASS, UCONN, New Hampshire), and the others (UMASS Lowell, Merrimack).

What would be more interesting to me is if PITT or Syracuse ever sponsored D1 Hockey. I believe ACC bylaws require the ACC to sponsor Hockey if there are three (or four) schools that play. We already have two.

BU also has a very good Lacrosse program btw.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - nzmorange - 07-03-2017 05:28 AM

(07-02-2017 10:30 PM)swardy76 Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 11:16 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Resoundingly, yes.

Sounds good but wouldn't happen.

Hockey East is a bus league. ND got out because of the travel and the fit. There are the elite schools (Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, and Providence), The State Flagships (Vermont, Maine, UMASS, UCONN, New Hampshire), and the others (UMASS Lowell, Merrimack).

What would be more interesting to me is if PITT or Syracuse ever sponsored D1 Hockey. I believe ACC bylaws require the ACC to sponsor Hockey if there are three (or four) schools that play. We already have two.

BU lax isn't "very good," but agreed about convincing Cornell (and therefore the rest of the Ivies) to leave their current setup (which isn't HE).

As for ND, I think that they'd be far more open to Ivies + BC, especially if it involves a smaller conference w the potential for a shorter schedule (and therefore more local OOC games)

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - Wolfman - 07-03-2017 07:09 AM

(07-02-2017 10:30 PM)swardy76 Wrote:  Sounds good but wouldn't happen.

The ACC has 3 womens gymnastics teams (UNC, NCSU and Pitt) but does not officially sponsor the sport. It was going to become an official sport before Maryland left (4 teams).

BC & ND are in other conferences for hockey. I'd guess the grandfather rule applies. The ACC would have to sponsor hockey first. Then, if BC & ND wanted to leave their current conference, their choices would be ACC or independent.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - Hokie Mark - 07-03-2017 10:50 AM

BC has been king of college hockey... What do they want?

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - swardy76 - 07-03-2017 07:56 PM

(07-03-2017 10:50 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  BC has been king of college hockey... What do they want?

Good question. I am a season ticket holder and the last couple seasons have felt a little flat. We enjoy the major brands - Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, The Bean Pot - Harvard, BU, Northeastern, and BC, and playing ND, Providence, Maine, UNH and UMASS Lowell. UCONN, UMASS, and Merrimack are more interesting to their fans than BC.

Since Hockey East added ND in 2013 and UCONN in 2014 the league has become a little too big. It will stay at 11 for now but there has been talk of adding Holy Cross or Quinnipiac.

Personally, I see what the B1G is doing and potentially the PAC and wonder if the time has come for Hockey East. Having a small ACC conference with Syracuse, PITT, ND through in one from NCST, Miami, GT, or Louisville, add BU and Providence, maybe UNH and Maine. And then schedule a strong national slate of out of conference games against the B1G and the Ivies and that could be interesting.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - opossum - 07-03-2017 08:09 PM

(07-03-2017 07:56 PM)swardy76 Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 10:50 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  BC has been king of college hockey... What do they want?

Good question. I am a season ticket holder and the last couple seasons have felt a little flat. We enjoy the major brands - Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, The Bean Pot - Harvard, BU, Northeastern, and BC, and playing ND, Providence, Maine, UNH and UMASS Lowell. UCONN, UMASS, and Merrimack are more interesting to their fans than BC.

Since Hockey East added ND in 2013 and UCONN in 2014 the league has become a little too big. It will stay at 11 for now but there has been talk of adding Holy Cross or Quinnipiac.

Personally, I see what the B1G is doing and potentially the PAC and wonder if the time has come for Hockey East. Having a small ACC conference with Syracuse, PITT, ND through in one from NCST, Miami, GT, or Louisville, add BU and Providence, maybe UNH and Maine. And then schedule a strong national slate of out of conference games against the B1G and the Ivies and that could be interesting.

Interesting. Another sport and conference where adding UConn makes people think it's gotten a little too crowded and start to glance around for the exits.

Wouldn't most ACC schools have to build a new facility for hockey?

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - swardy76 - 07-03-2017 08:43 PM

Anyone know about this?

http://www.acchockey.com/

Question about Hockey/ACCN - Lenvillecards - 07-04-2017 09:01 AM

(07-03-2017 08:09 PM)opossum Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 07:56 PM)swardy76 Wrote:  

Interesting. Another sport and conference where adding UConn makes people think it's gotten a little too crowded and start to glance around for the exits.

Wouldn't most ACC schools have to build a new facility for hockey?

Minor league hockey has been successful here in Louisville in the past & if the UofL picked it up they could probably play at Broadbent Arena at the fairgrounds, where the Louisville Riverfrogs played, that is just down the road from PJCS. Or possibly even Freedom Hall. I don't see the Cardinals picking it up though. Trying to get men's LAX going seems to have hit some Title IX snags.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - Hallcity - 07-04-2017 10:04 AM

(07-03-2017 08:43 PM)swardy76 Wrote:  Anyone know about this?

http://www.acchockey.com/

It's club hockey -- no scholarships. Not NCAA.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - TerryD - 07-06-2017 06:28 AM

ND home games, conference/non-conference, are/will be televised on NBC Sports. ND has a separate contract with it for hockey.

Away conference games will be televised by the Big Ten Network.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - NoDak - 07-13-2017 03:08 AM

If Pitt and Syracuse start hockey, could see an ACC hockey league like this:

West
Notre Dame
Miami (O)
W Michigan
Pitt

East
Syracuse
UCONN
BC
BU

The B1G really struggled with only six teams, so think eight gives a better schedule. Alabama is actually looking to build a hockey arena - would make an interesting affiliate for the west. BC and BU seem tied together for hockey no matter what.

The Ivies limit hockey games so they don't start until later. Harvard, Yale and Cornell have been good, but Brown, Dartmouth and Princeton not so much. Don't think there is any way that they would affiliate with a P5 conference. Most of the rest of the ECAC hockey are DIII's with Ivy -like aspirations, like Clarkson, St Lawrence, Colgate (DI) etc.

RE: Question about Hockey/ACCN - CardinalJim - 07-13-2017 03:39 AM

The Big 12 is desperate to be relevant, The ACC doesn't have to worry about that. It's been almost a decade since a Big 12 team won a national title in a big three sport. (Kansas 2008 Mens Basketball).

The reality is the conference needs to learn to play with a lead. Let's not make decisions that won't improve the conference.
CJ