CSNbbs
Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU (/thread-820758.html)

Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - Luckeyone - 06-25-2017 07:53 AM

The location mentioned 30miles Southwest of Detroit is our very own Ypsilanti. This is a golden opportunity for EMU to align technical degrees with autonomous vehicle development that should help us gain national exposure, grow our engineering department, and provide graduates with many job opportunities. Could be great for ypsilanti too! Hopefully Smith has a vision and can navigate EMU to be in a position to grow with our ever changing world....

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/100963464/

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 06-25-2017 09:52 AM

(06-25-2017 07:53 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  The location mentioned 30miles Southwest of Detroit is our very own Ypsilanti. This is a golden opportunity for EMU to align technical degrees with autonomous vehicle development that should help us gain national exposure, grow our engineering department, and provide graduates with many job opportunities. Could be great for ypsilanti too! Hopefully Smith has a vision and can navigate EMU to be in a position to grow with our ever changing world....

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/100963464/

Does our technology programs align with autonomous vehicle development?

How about UofM?

I have no idea which universities are the heavy hitters in this field.

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - KPJ - 06-25-2017 10:21 AM

UofM announced that there will be autonomous shuttle buses on campus starting in the Fall. They have autonomous vehicles being tested on campus this summer.
The last project I worked on as an EMU employee was getting the Mechanical Engineering degree program up off the ground. The program was approved at the state level in April and they will have a class of juniors in the Fall who were taking the "pilot courses" for the program.
Dr. Qatu, the dean of the College of Technology, has a very strong background in automotive engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if EMU ends up being involved, but I've got to believe UofM will have the larger footprint.

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 06-25-2017 01:01 PM

(06-25-2017 10:21 AM)KPJ Wrote:  UofM announced that there will be autonomous shuttle buses on campus starting in the Fall. They have autonomous vehicles being tested on campus this summer.
The last project I worked on as an EMU employee was getting the Mechanical Engineering degree program up off the ground. The program was approved at the state level in April and they will have a class of juniors in the Fall who were taking the "pilot courses" for the program.
Dr. Qatu, the dean of the College of Technology, has a very strong background in automotive engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if EMU ends up being involved, but I've got to believe UofM will have the larger footprint.

Good info!!!

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 07-10-2017 05:19 PM

N.Y. Times article about UofM's efforts:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/business/driverless-car-autonomous-university-michigan.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Reference to what is happening at Willow Run:

"Soon, two other test centers similar to MCity will open. Work is well underway on a much larger one 10 miles to the east in Ypsilanti, on the site of a factory that built bombers during World War II. Called the American Center for Mobility, it will cover 325 acres and allow testing of autonomous vehicles at highway speeds and in complex roadways like overpasses and exit ramps. A third testing ground is being built in Flint by G.M. and Kettering University."

BTW, Kettering University used to be known decades ago as GM Tech or something similar maybe GM Institute of Tech. Highly regarded engineering school GM founded.

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - EagleTough - 07-10-2017 07:25 PM

Pfft.........why would EMU waste their time on the future of transportation?

Our fearless leaders had the real vision to create a Religious Studies major to attract new students to fill all of the inevitable jobs that are sure to be created in the religious diversity businesses of tomorrow.

Now that's some out of the box thinking!.......Epic Applause

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 07-10-2017 08:16 PM

(07-10-2017 07:25 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  Pfft.........why would EMU waste their time on the future of transportation?

Our fearless leaders had the real vision to create a Religious Studies major to attract new students to fill all of the inevitable jobs that are sure to be created in the religious diversity businesses of tomorrow.

See KPJ'S post. EMU is on board with mechanical eng. now. KPJ did EMU and S.E. MI a real service by helping to get this program up and running. The Big 3 apparently need a lot of engineers to replace those who are retiring...

"UofM announced that there will be autonomous shuttle buses on campus starting in the Fall. They have autonomous vehicles being tested on campus this summer.
Dr. Qatu, the dean of the College of Technology, has a very strong background in automotive engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if EMU ends up being involved, but I've got to believe UofM will have the larger footprint."

Epic Applause

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - Luckeyone - 07-10-2017 08:45 PM

(07-10-2017 08:16 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 07:25 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  Pfft.........why would EMU waste their time on the future of transportation?

See KPJ'S post. EMU is on board with mechanical eng. now. KPJ did EMU and S.E. MI a real service by helping to get this program up and running. The Big 3 apparently need a lot of engineers to replace those who are retiring...

"UofM announced that there will be autonomous shuttle buses on campus starting in the Fall. They have autonomous vehicles being tested on campus this summer.
Dr. Qatu, the dean of the College of Technology, has a very strong background in automotive engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if EMU ends up being involved, but I've got to believe UofM will have the larger footprint."

Epic Applause
Timing is everything, EMU should go for being a leader since this technology in its infancy is in our backyard. These automotive jobs are highly paid well sought after positions and President Smith needs to get EMU in the middle of things.

Maybe we need an autonomous shuttle for students from campus to the Conversation Center and Rynearson stadium.

Do we want to be leaders or do we want to settle for scrap? A strong leader would get us into this development that's in our backyard!!!!

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 07-11-2017 05:08 AM

I understand what you are saying, Luckey, but UofM and a lot of other universities are way, way, way ahead of EMU.

There have been articles in I believe USA Today as cities are competing. Willow Run is but one of many areas in the running.

EDIT: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/06/25/cities-vie-become-hubs-self-driving-technology/100963464/

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - Ken Barna - 07-11-2017 08:37 AM

Dear Friends,
We have to be realistic about our new mechanical engineering program. We are just beginning, U-M has had engineering programs for a century. Yes, I would like to see Eastern become involved with the program that is discussed here, but we may be shut out.

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 07-11-2017 08:49 AM

(07-11-2017 08:37 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
We have to be realistic about our new mechanical engineering program. We are just beginning, U-M has had engineering programs for a century. Yes, I would like to see Eastern become involved with the program that is discussed here, but we may be shut out.

Agree with what you say.

There is a difference between being a player and being the big dog. UofM will be the big dog. As Ken indicates, UofM has a mature program in the field of mechanical eng. and working on autonomous vehicles and we are just starting.

That said, UofM is on the 'bleeding edge' of this field but in fields such as IT it is better to be late than never get on board.

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - emu steve - 07-11-2017 10:26 AM

Another article. This one from the N.Y. Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/business/driverless-car-autonomous-university-michigan.html?_r=0

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - Luckeyone - 07-11-2017 01:42 PM

(07-11-2017 10:26 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Another article. This one from the N.Y. Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/business/driverless-car-autonomous-university-michigan.html?_r=0

Ken/Steve,

I agree with both of you in that we need to find our niche in this new technology coming on the horizon. We do not need to be the lead dog but it's in our backyard and this technology will reshape the world. Let's not miss our chance!!!!

RE: Not sports related but autonomous vehicle development will be good for EMU - Luckeyone - 07-18-2017 06:57 AM

We need this in Ypsilanti not Saline

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/mobility/2017/07/17/navya-open-saline-factory/103770056/