CSNbbs
Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County (/thread-819203.html)

Pages: 1 2

Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - Dawgxas - 06-02-2017 10:28 AM

Saw this in another forum and thought it was an interesting map. Tech's stadium accounts for 39 counties and 1.3 million in population.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6dx6dn/closest_fbs_school_to_each_county_full_map/

RE: Closet FBS Stadium to Each County - mturn017 - 06-02-2017 10:40 AM

(06-02-2017 10:28 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Saw this in another forum and thought it was an interesting map. Tech's stadium accounts for 39 counties and 1.3 million in population.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6dx6dn/closest_fbs_school_to_each_county_full_map/

That's a lot of corndogs

RE: Closet FBS Stadium to Each County - Hilltopper2K - 06-02-2017 06:54 PM

Pretty cool.

RE: Closet FBS Stadium to Each County - cotton1991 - 06-02-2017 07:14 PM

Wow, look at Minnesota--from Montana to Michigan.

RE: Closet FBS Stadium to Each County - techdawg28 - 06-02-2017 07:44 PM

(06-02-2017 07:14 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Wow, look at Minnesota--from Montana to Michigan.

I wonder if Minny actually has fans in those regions though. I figure NDSU has a strong hold despite being FCS.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - cotton1991 - 06-02-2017 10:40 PM

(06-02-2017 07:44 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 07:14 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Wow, look at Minnesota--from Montana to Michigan.

I wonder if Minny actually has fans in those regions though. I figure NDSU has a strong hold despite being FCS.

I live 30 minutes from Minnesota and most local TV stations come out of Minnesota. Aside from high school hockey, wrestling, and high school girls basketball, pro sports seems to rule the roost. That map would more nearly reflect Vikings fandom than Gophers football which probably place 4th behind the NFL, MLB, and the NHL in Minneapolis.

I'm in Iowa 2 hours south of the university and there are absolutely no fans or interest in Minnesota football here. Just Vikings and Twins.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - OptimisticOwl - 06-03-2017 10:17 AM

The entire state of Alaska goes to UW.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - ExcitedOwl18 - 06-03-2017 10:18 AM

(06-03-2017 10:17 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  The entire state of Alaska goes to UW.

Actually, if you examine the Western (or Eastern as you get past the IDL), it gets closer to Hawaii.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - OptimisticOwl - 06-03-2017 11:00 AM

(06-03-2017 10:18 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 10:17 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  The entire state of Alaska goes to UW.

Actually, if you examine the Western (or Eastern as you get past the IDL), it gets closer to Hawaii.

Some of the westernmost Aleutian islands, I guess. i don't know how Alaska defines it's counties.

so not the ENTIRE state, just the vast majority.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - Quagmire - 06-05-2017 09:01 AM

That Texas map is stunning.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - beefcake0520 - 06-05-2017 04:04 PM

I can honestly say that map is a crock, don't get excited fellas.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - OptimisticOwl - 06-05-2017 04:15 PM

It's not a map of fan interest, just geographical distance to a stadium.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - techdawg28 - 06-05-2017 05:13 PM

(06-05-2017 04:15 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  It's not a map of fan interest, just geographical distance to a stadium.

I think fan interest should match this, but bandwagon fans gonna bandwagon 07-coffee3

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - DawgNBama - 06-06-2017 03:21 AM

(06-05-2017 05:13 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 04:15 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  It's not a map of fan interest, just geographical distance to a stadium.

I think fan interest should match this, but bandwagon fans gonna bandwagon 07-coffee3

It actually doesn't match it, but you have to account for out of state alumni &, of course, t-shirt fans. Like Georgia Tech for example. I've heard that many GT alumni & students are very arrogant, (not all, but a lot) and that in turn, has made it a lot harder to win over the casual t-shirt fan. Go to a UGA game, and generally, if you're not wearing UF, AU, or GT colors, you will be treated very nice, and should have a good time. Similar situation if you go to a Nebraska or even an Auburn game. Troy alumni also treat their t-shirt fans well. If Minnesota alumni are anything like GT alumni, it is no wonder that they have a small fan base.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - OptimisticOwl - 06-06-2017 08:11 AM

(06-06-2017 03:21 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

It actually doesn't match it, but you have to account for out of state alumni &, of course, t-shirt fans. Like Georgia Tech for example. I've heard that many GT alumni & students are very arrogant, (not all, but a lot) and that in turn, has made it a lot harder to win over the casual t-shirt fan. Go to a UGA game, and generally, if you're not wearing UF, AU, or GT colors, you will be treated very nice, and should have a good time. Similar situation if you go to a Nebraska or even an Auburn game. Troy alumni also treat their t-shirt fans well. If Minnesota alumni are anything like GT alumni, it is no wonder that they have a small fan base.

For Texas, at least, this map comes nowhere close to being a map of fan interest. I think the maps for Minnesota, Wyoming, and U-Washington at the very least also come nowhere close, way too big, while others like Ohio State and Alabama, Ole Miss and Florida/FlaSt are way too small. LaTech bigger than LSU? Wyoming bigger than Alabama and Oklahoma combined?

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - DawgNBama - 06-06-2017 11:01 AM

(06-06-2017 08:11 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

For Texas, at least, this map comes nowhere close to being a map of fan interest. I think the maps for Minnesota, Wyoming, and U-Washington at the very least also come nowhere close, way too big, while others like Ohio State and Alabama, Ole Miss and Florida/FlaSt are way too small. LaTech bigger than LSU? Wyoming bigger than Alabama and Oklahoma combined?

I actually made a college football fan interest map using some more accurate fan interest maps and input from posters on the realignment board. I wound up changing my map several times, but I think it's a lot more representative of the college football fan bases than some others out there. It has multiple small logos for national fan bases too.[Image: fanbase3_3.png]

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - WKUYG - 06-06-2017 01:57 PM

We (message board fans) tend to think in terms of it's my team and no one else...if you are for anyone else you are against us.

Just a guess on my part but if you separated fans into two groups..."my team", the really hard core fans or "my teams" the average fan it would be

25% hard core

75% average fan that is a fan of most other state schools

That's the way it is in my everyday life. 75% of those like Western, uk, UofL, they might have a favorite but also a fan of the others. I don't think it would be much different anywhere

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - techdawg28 - 06-06-2017 02:18 PM

As far as Louisiana is concerned I can't say you're wrong, although I have started to notice a lot more Tech blue in Shreveport/Bossier than before.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - beefcake0520 - 06-06-2017 02:24 PM

(06-06-2017 11:01 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

I actually made a college football fan interest map using some more accurate fan interest maps and input from posters on the realignment board. I wound up changing my map several times, but I think it's a lot more representative of the college football fan bases than some others out there. It has multiple small logos for national fan bases too.[Image: fanbase3_3.png]

I would say that's fairly accurate. All colleges have alums in other areas, some get concentrated a bit. Its arguable at best where the mini logos need to go. One needs to take into account though, the size of the area you may cover with fans doesn't dictate the population density of the area to mean a school has more fans than another if ones area is bigger than another.

RE: Closest FBS Stadium to Each County - OptimisticOwl - 06-06-2017 02:38 PM

(06-06-2017 11:01 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Not bad. I would expand the TexTech and A&M areas in Texas, but overall a good representation. I am impressed with the little BYU area in west Texas.