CSNbbs
Derek Wilder Suspended - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Derek Wilder Suspended (/thread-819045.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - Monarchblue - 01-22-2018 03:06 PM

I think you draw a hard line at felonies.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - AimHigher - 01-22-2018 03:06 PM

DAYUM SON!!! Wilder headed to FAU to play with KIFFIN now...05-mafia 05-mafia Watch him become a stud player.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - Gilesfan - 01-22-2018 03:07 PM

(01-22-2018 03:06 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I think you draw a hard line at felonies.

I have no issue if that is the standard.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - Monarchblue - 01-22-2018 03:07 PM

(01-22-2018 03:06 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  DAYUM SON!!! Wilder headed to FAU to play with KIFFIN now...05-mafia 05-mafia Watch him become a stud player.

Can't tell. Is this serious?

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - monarx - 01-22-2018 03:12 PM

I don't see anything about FAU in the article. My guess is AimHigh said it because many felons seem to wind up at FAU. This sucks for him and for Bobby. I know it was a stupid decision, but man, that one decision has been havoc on his and his family's lives. He may never play football, its been a distraction for Coach, all because of doing wheelies on the interstate and racing away from the cops. SMH. I cant imagine Bobby would let him go to a CUSA school. I'd guess he stays at ODU and doesn't play or goes FCS. He'll probably be a stud at JMU or something.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - AimHigher - 01-22-2018 03:14 PM

(01-22-2018 03:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(01-22-2018 03:06 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  DAYUM SON!!! Wilder headed to FAU to play with KIFFIN now...05-mafia 05-mafia Watch him become a stud player.

Can't tell. Is this serious?

Just kidding around. Fake news kinda day. 04-cheers

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - monarx - 01-22-2018 03:17 PM

I cant believe his lawyer couldn't get it dropped to a misdemeanor. Especially considering nobody got hurt.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - AimHigher - 01-22-2018 03:20 PM

Is the NCAA’s ‘No felons’ rule for coaches still around? If so Derek Wilder may never be able to coach with his father either.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - ODUODUODU - 01-22-2018 03:22 PM

I think a lot of these kids see this behavior on Youtube where they seem to get away with it. Youtube is NOT real life.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - Gilesfan - 01-22-2018 03:23 PM

(01-22-2018 03:17 PM)monarx Wrote:  I cant believe his lawyer couldn't get it dropped to a misdemeanor. Especially considering nobody got hurt.

And he had a great lawyer.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - AimHigher - 01-22-2018 03:26 PM

(01-22-2018 03:17 PM)monarx Wrote:  I cant believe his lawyer couldn't get it dropped to a misdemeanor. Especially considering nobody got hurt.

Wasn't the first time he has had traffic issues. Found guilty of reckless driving two years ago. May have played a part in it too.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - Old Dominion - 01-22-2018 03:33 PM

Would like to know if the conviction will be vacated if he lives up to terms of probation. If his conviction can be expunged, shouldn't he be given the chance to play? His sentence was suspended, why not count last year as a suspension?

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - ODU2K1 - 01-22-2018 06:57 PM

(01-22-2018 02:54 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  It would set a bad precedent if he doesn't get dismissed.

Agreed. It sounds like they are still undecided.

From The Pilot:

Quote:“He is currently working out with his teammates in the weight room preparing for spring practice in March,” Bobby Wilder wrote.

When asked if ODU plans to consider any further disciplinary action against Derek Wilder, Ted Alexander, the school's senior associate athletic director for external relations, said officials are not able to discuss “the specifics of any incident regarding any student.”

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - ODU AGGIE - 01-22-2018 07:14 PM

The full quote in the paper from BW is:

His father, head coach Bobby Wilder, said in the statement that his son was “immediately” suspended following the incident, and the suspension lasted the entire 2017 football season.

“He is currently working out with his teammates in the weight room preparing for spring practice in March,” Bobby Wilder wrote.
END QUOTE

My take from that is that he was suspended for the full season, the suspension is now over ("lasted the entire 2017 football season...), but he is now back with the team (as indicated by "...currently working out with his teammates...). To me, if he has teammates, he is on the team. Interesting for sure -- and we probably will be learning a little more in the coming days.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - ODU BBALL - 01-22-2018 07:18 PM

(01-22-2018 06:57 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  [quote='ODUDrunkard13' pid='15013361' dateline='1516650868']
It would set a bad precedent if he doesn't get dismissed.

From The Pilot:

Quote:“He is currently working out with his teammates in the weight room preparing for spring practice in March,” Bobby Wilder wrote.

When asked if ODU plans to consider any further disciplinary action against Derek Wilder, Ted Alexander, the school's senior associate athletic director for external relations, said officials are not able to discuss “the specifics of any incident regarding any student.”[/quote]

But Ted could tell us that Derek was dressed in his ODU home white Under Armor work out attire that is trimmed in blue and silver with the ODU logo on the front and the player's name on the back. 07-coffee3

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - Maryland Monarch - 01-22-2018 08:29 PM

(01-22-2018 07:18 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(01-22-2018 06:57 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  [quote='ODUDrunkard13' pid='15013361' dateline='1516650868']
It would set a bad precedent if he doesn't get dismissed.

From The Pilot:

When asked if ODU plans to consider any further disciplinary action against Derek Wilder, Ted Alexander, the school's senior associate athletic director for external relations, said officials are not able to discuss “the specifics of any incident regarding any student.”[/quote]

But Ted could tell us that Derek was dressed in his ODU home white Under Armor work out attire that is trimmed in blue and silver with the ODU logo on the front and the player's name on the back. 07-coffee3

And that he was "passing the ovoid" with his team mates.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - AimHigher - 01-22-2018 08:35 PM

hmmm?
[Image: giphy.webp]

“He is currently working out with his teammates in the weight room preparing for spring practice in March,” Bobby Wilder wrote."

Sounds like he is staying and playing for ODU according to Bobby Wilder.

Felony is still a felony. Touchie subject for the coach to handle. Although he was suspended during 2017 season, he would have had to miss 2017 anyhow due to injuries. Would missing 2017 be enough punishment given that he wouldn't have played anyway due to injuries? I think if he stays he should be suspended for 3 or more games in 2018.

If it's my son, team and career. I would have to let him go. My heart would hurt for my son but setting an example for 100 plus young men year after year is important in today's era. It would show them accountability for one's actions is important in the real world.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - ODUi - 01-22-2018 09:04 PM

Perfect time for some stadium news. Change the subject... deflect, deflect, deflect 04-cheers

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - LuckyLion - 01-22-2018 10:13 PM

As much as this very stupid mistake may impact his football career, I think about how it may negatively impact his entire future. Isn't he an engineering major? I would think a felony conviction could prevent him from getting security clearances required for many engineering jobs. It's a shame that so many of these kids make such knucklehead decisions.

RE: Derek Wilder Suspended - DaBigBlue - 01-22-2018 10:25 PM

(01-22-2018 10:13 PM)LuckyLion Wrote:  As much as this very stupid mistake may impact his football career, I think about how it may negatively impact his entire future. Isn't he an engineering major? I would think a felony conviction could prevent him from getting security clearances required for many engineering jobs. It's a shame that so many of these kids make such knucklehead decisions.

Good point. Most engineering jobs around here do.