CSNbbs
ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN (/thread-817800.html)

Pages: 1 2

ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - cuseroc - 05-15-2017 07:46 AM

From the article:

"The ACC clearly stacks up well against the Pac-12, so at the very least an ACC Network should live above the profitable, if disappointing, baseline set by the Pac-12 Network. And it looks far more likely that it could approach what the Big Ten has accomplished. So despite ESPN's apparent desire to cut costs, funding the ACC Network could be money well spent."

Forbes Article

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - KNIGHTTIME - 05-15-2017 07:50 AM

(05-15-2017 07:46 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  From the article:

"The ACC clearly stacks up well against the Pac-12, so at the very least an ACC Network should live above the profitable, if disappointing, baseline set by the Pac-12 Network. And it looks far more likely that it could approach what the Big Ten has accomplished. So despite ESPN's apparent desire to cut costs, funding the ACC Network could be money well spent."

Forbes Article

These conference networks are toast if more cord cutting happens. Nobody in the south gives a crap about the Big 10. Nobody in the Pac-12 area cares about the SEC. You basically only watch your team and your conference for most people. The amount of time devoted to binge watching college football isn't done by that many.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 05-15-2017 07:50 AM

It is going to cover the most heavily populated region of the country – the East Coast. If it doesn't significantly out-perform the Pac-12 Network it will be a massive disappointment. It's going to end up right where everyone thinks it's going to end up: just below the Big Ten Network and SEC Network and clearly above everyone else.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - GoldenWarrior11 - 05-15-2017 08:36 AM

Interesting graphic from the article.

[Image: CoFo-TV-viewership-1.jpg?width=960]

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - orangefan - 05-15-2017 09:13 AM

(05-15-2017 08:36 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Interesting graphic from the article.

This is based on two years' worth of data. If it had been three or four, Florida State would have done much better. They were a TV gold mine during the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - msm96wolf - 05-15-2017 10:06 AM

In the old days, Cord Cutting meant going straight to OTA. Now, it is actually Streaming Providers vs Cable Providers. How many cord cutters actually are not using their internet service to stream sports, movies and tv shows? The main savings I have gotten is not having to lease cable boxes, DVRs and modems. I really love to see the number of ESPN users that switched from Cable to Sling, PSVUE or another streaming service. I rarely watch live tv anymore except for sports. Many times I start an 1-2 hours later due to doing family stuff or appointments. Many times I actually catchup live in the last part of the game and cuss I can't skip the commercial or ESPN non sport topic discussions. With VUE I get B10 & SEC, I will be happy when ACC is added so I just have one place to watch and record. THe only sprts channel I don't get is CBSSN, rarely has there been a game there I wanted to watch.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - Attackcoog - 05-15-2017 10:26 AM

(05-15-2017 09:13 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 08:36 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Interesting graphic from the article.

This is based on two years' worth of data. If it had been three or four, Florida State would have done much better. They were a TV gold mine during the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

Based on those numbers you'd expect the ACC Network to generate only slightly more money than the Pac12 Network. I would have expected the ACC to have a substantially better ratings performance than the Pac12 due to its far more populated footprint--but that chart surprisingly says there isn't much difference.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - billybobby777 - 05-15-2017 10:26 AM

(05-15-2017 07:50 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 07:46 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  From the article:

Forbes Article

These conference networks are toast if more cord cutting happens. Nobody in the south gives a crap about the Big 10. Nobody in the Pac-12 area cares about the SEC. You basically only watch your team and your conference for most people. The amount of time devoted to binge watching college football isn't done by that many.

One poster said recently that he predicts that the Big 10 and SEC would eventually become "national" networks. If I had cable and the SEC network was offered to me for free I'd ask it to be removed out of principle.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - mj4life - 05-15-2017 10:29 AM

(05-15-2017 10:06 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  In the old days, Cord Cutting meant going straight to OTA. Now, it is actually Streaming Providers vs Cable Providers. How many cord cutters actually are not using their internet service to stream sports, movies and tv shows? The main savings I have gotten is not having to lease cable boxes, DVRs and modems. I really love to see the number of ESPN users that switched from Cable to Sling, PSVUE or another streaming service. I rarely watch live tv anymore except for sports. Many times I start an 1-2 hours later due to doing family stuff or appointments. Many times I actually catchup live in the last part of the game and cuss I can't skip the commercial or ESPN non sport topic discussions. With VUE I get B10 & SEC, I will be happy when ACC is added so I just have one place to watch and record. THe only sprts channel I don't get is CBSSN, rarely has there been a game there I wanted to watch.

Last info I could find had Sling,Vue & Directtv Now in the combined 2-3 million range, this number is likely to grow even if it's spread over several providers. Every streaming package I have seen has ESPN &Fox related content

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - billybobby777 - 05-15-2017 10:49 AM

(05-15-2017 10:26 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 09:13 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

Based on those numbers you'd expect the ACC Network to generate only slightly more money than the Pac12 Network. I would have expected the ACC to have a substantially better ratings performance than the Pac12 due to its far more populated footprint--but that chart surprisingly says there isn't much difference.

The PAC shares a region with the MWC.
The ACC shares a region with the SEC, B10, AAC, CUSA, Big East, A10, Sun Belt, Eastern Indys like Army, Umass, Liberty & a little bit with the MAC, and Big 12 (West Virginia).

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - billybobby777 - 05-15-2017 01:45 PM

I just want to point something out for those who think the ACC or SEC "own" any shares of the conference network. ESPN will own the ACC network 100%, just like ESPN owns 100% of the SEC network. ESPN does a (rumored) 70/30 revenue split with the SEC, but it's ESPN's network.
PAC 12 Network: Owned 100% by PAC 12.
Big 10 Network: Owned 49% by Big 10, 51% by Fox.
SEC Network: Owned 100% by ESPN. SEC receives 30% of the revenues (rumored)
ACC Network: Will be owned 100% by ESPN. Revenue splits are unknown.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - Attackcoog - 05-15-2017 02:39 PM

(05-15-2017 01:45 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I just want to point something out for those who think the ACC or SEC "own" any shares of the conference network. ESPN will own the ACC network 100%, just like ESPN owns 100% of the SEC network. ESPN does a (rumored) 70/30 revenue split with the SEC, but it's ESPN's network.

That 100% ownership sounds like it would be awesome when it comes to revenue. But, the problem is--without a well connected network partner that can apply leverage to cable carriers--its a lot harder to get carriage---which negatively affects the number of subscribers and ultimately---revenue. If they stick with it, I think the Pac-12 100% ownership model will outperform the others---its just going to take significantly more time to build the subscriber base.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - BadgerMJ - 05-15-2017 02:43 PM

(05-15-2017 02:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 01:45 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I just want to point something out for those who think the ACC or SEC "own" any shares of the conference network. ESPN will own the ACC network 100%, just like ESPN owns 100% of the SEC network. ESPN does a (rumored) 70/30 revenue split with the SEC, but it's ESPN's network.

That 100% ownership sounds like it would be awesome when it comes to revenue. But, the problem is--without a well connected network partner that can apply leverage to cable carriers--its a lot harder to get carriage---which negatively affects the number of subscribers and ultimately---revenue.

Agreed.

And that's why the B1G is in the catbird seat. They own half (almost) of their network so they receive the revenues and have Fox as a partner to apply the leverage.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - msm96wolf - 05-15-2017 02:44 PM

It is hard to say, I like the B10 model best. Still the SEC doesn't seem to be hurting.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - nzmorange - 05-15-2017 03:43 PM

The benefits of all conference networks are regulatory grossly overstated. But so too are the risks w/ regards to cable declining.

The same is true w/ bundling.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - DavidSt - 05-16-2017 02:49 AM

Somebody have been cooking the books for the ACC schools. I have seen ratings for Miami Florida games, and they were like .500 and below on several times. Only one or two above 1.5 rating.

Cord cutting is on the way if ESPN would be forcing this network on us consumers. They are not learning.

The only way to save a bunch of money is fold all the networks into one big one as an all college sports Network which includes all the G5 and D1 schools and the top D2 programs to show college football games and all that. When D1 do not play on a Thursday or Friday night games? There are D2, D3 and NAIA games going that they could show on that Network. I just don't see why each conference wants their own network. It should be paid by the number of viewers for each schools than an equal share. Boise State is more popular to watch than many of the P5 schools.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - CardinalJim - 05-16-2017 05:18 AM

What often gets missed in these discussions is population density. The reality is less than 20% of the country's population live in the Mountain and Pacific time zones while 47% live in the Eastern time zone alone. It's a simple numbers game with the PAC vs ACC or SEC numbers. There are simply not enough eyeballs in the West to matter.
CJ

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - DavidSt - 05-16-2017 05:44 AM

(05-16-2017 05:18 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  What often gets missed in these discussions is population density. The reality is less than 20% of the country's population live in the Mountain and Pacific time zones while 47% live in the Eastern time zone alone. It's a simple numbers game with the PAC vs ACC or SEC numbers. There are simply not enough eyeballs in the West to matter.
CJ

Nobody cares about schools who keeps breaking the NCAA rules and get away with it like Miami Florida have since the 1980s. People are tired of cheaters which Miami is. They seemed to be the number 1 team that breaks the rules over the other schools for all sports.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - krup - 05-16-2017 06:08 AM

(05-15-2017 07:50 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  It is going to cover the most heavily populated region of the country – the East Coast. If it doesn't significantly out-perform the Pac-12 Network it will be a massive disappointment. It's going to end up right where everyone thinks it's going to end up: just below the Big Ten Network and SEC Network and clearly above everyone else.

You would think that when you build a conference in the most populated region of the country, you would somehow manage to include a school that has a footprint in the most populated segment of that region, the Baltimore to NYC corridor.

RE: ACC Network- Forbes Article Suggests ESPN Can Be Profitable With The ACCN - CougarRed - 05-16-2017 06:50 AM

(05-16-2017 05:18 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  The reality is less than 20% of the country's population live in the Mountain and Pacific time zones

23.3% FTR