CSNbbs
Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... (/thread-817743.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Maize - 05-13-2017 06:55 PM

He gotta point...here is the article:

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany is set to make $20 million in bonus money, according to USA Today. Delany, who made over $2 million as a base salary in the 2015 calendar year, has been a part of some major TV deals and conference expansion in recent years.

While Delany certainly has earned his fair share of compensation, Michigan fullback Khalid Hill is at least one athlete who isn’t happy.

After news of Delany’s bonus came out, Hill tweeted that he’s “broke” and the Big Ten commissioner is “making money off who.”

Hill was responding to a tweet by ESPN’s Jay Bilas, a major critic of keeping student-athletes unpaid. You can see Bilas’ tweet below and read his timeline today for more criticism of the current NCAA system.

Jay Bilas @
"We don't want college sports to be the minor leagues." Makes billions, pay an exec $20M? That's MAJOR LEAGUE.

http://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan/michigan-fb-khalid-hill-is-not-happy-about-jim-delanys-20-million-bonus

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Kittonhead - 05-13-2017 07:03 PM

Jim Delany has kids to feed.

When you've got kids to feed $20 million is critical.

Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - JHS55 - 05-13-2017 11:17 PM

On one hand I want to say " shut the hell up Khalid hill stupid," but then why should players be broke on the other hand...?

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - sierrajip - 05-13-2017 11:23 PM

Maybe another lawsuit waiting to happen.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - JRsec - 05-14-2017 01:17 AM

Well Harbaugh makes 2.5 x as much as Delany's base pay every year and Harbaugh gets bonuses. I think 20 million for Delany in a year where the Big 10 Network lost 39.2% of its value is a bit steep. The average share in the Big 10 Network decreased from 113.5 million in 2015 to 81.5 million in 2016. If each school loses 32 million each in equity in the Big 10 Network why does Delany deserve 20 million in bonuses for a 6 year deal with FOX and ESPN?

But if the player is upset that Delany gets 20 million as a bonus and makes 2 million a year as a base salary then why does he play for a guy who earns 2.5 times what Delany makes in base pay and still gets bonuses too? I think he should be upset about both.

Anyway 20 million looks like a golden parachute to me for years of really stellar service.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - murrdcu - 05-14-2017 07:09 AM

Not a smart move by B1G to announce a huge bonus to its executive. I think he's earned $20M, but to announce it like this sounds like a one time payment when it's supposedly going to be paid out over numerous years.

Student-athletes should be pissed.

If they want to start a rallying call, this is it.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - templefootballfan - 05-14-2017 07:51 AM

20 million & he done a horriable job
on the other hand, 100 grand a yr is not broke

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Chappy - 05-14-2017 09:04 AM

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/387407/stu-dent-ath-o-leets

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Frank the Tank - 05-14-2017 09:16 AM

(05-14-2017 07:51 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  20 million & he done a horriable job

LOL. I actually agree with the sentiment of the Michigan player (as I believe that college athletes should be paid), but Jim Delany is the most financially successful executive in the history of college sports. Whatever he is paid is a bargain compared to how much money he has made for the Big Ten.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Maize - 05-14-2017 09:18 AM

(05-14-2017 09:16 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 07:51 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  20 million & he done a horriable job

LOL. I actually agree with the sentiment of the Michigan player (as I believe that college athletes should be paid), but Jim Delany is the most financially successful executive in the history of college sports. Whatever he is paid is a bargain compared to how much money he has made for the Big Ten.

Yes....at this point P5 athletes are basically in a Minor League system and should be treated as such...

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - DoubleRSU - 05-14-2017 09:20 AM

If the player has such a problem with the current system, transfer to a D2 school. Problem solved. Nobody is forcing him to play there and be "broke". I'm sure 1000s would gladly be taken advantage of in his place.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Sactowndog - 05-14-2017 09:28 AM

(05-14-2017 07:09 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  Not a smart move by B1G to announce a huge bonus to its executive. I think he's earned $20M, but to announce it like this sounds like a one time payment when it's supposedly going to be paid out over numerous years.

Student athletes should be pissed?? How about regular students who have to take out loans to subsidize this ****?! Don't feel to bad for the athletes. My daughter between stipend payments and housing checks left college with 10K in the bank. Meanwhile many fellow students left with 100K in loans. If athletes manage money well they can leave with a nice bit of cash. My guess is the player complaining is one of the many football players that blow their money.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Frank the Tank - 05-14-2017 09:34 AM

(05-14-2017 09:28 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 07:09 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  Not a smart move by B1G to announce a huge bonus to its executive. I think he's earned $20M, but to announce it like this sounds like a one time payment when it's supposedly going to be paid out over numerous years.

Student athletes should be pissed?? How about regular students who have to take out loans to subsidize this ****?! Don't feel to bad for the athletes. My daughter between stipend payments and housing checks left college with 10K in the bank. Meanwhile many fellow students left with 100K in loans. If athletes manage money well they can leave with a nice bit of cash. My guess is the player complaining is one of the many football players that blow their money.

I understand this, but total amount isn't relevant. It's about whether you are getting paid in accordance with your market value. LeBron James might make over $20 million per year, but he's actually underpaid (as he would be making even more in a non-salary cap system), whereas there can be people making minimum wage that are overpaid relative to their market value. There are studies showing that the value of a 5-star recruit is close to $500,000 per year for a school, yet they're clearly not getting paid anywhere near that amount (at least above the board). The reason why shady boosters that pay players under the table exist is because everyone knows the true market value of these those players (and it exceeds the value of their scholarships).

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - bullet - 05-14-2017 10:03 AM

(05-14-2017 09:34 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

I understand this, but total amount isn't relevant. It's about whether you are getting paid in accordance with your market value. LeBron James might make over $20 million per year, but he's actually underpaid (as he would be making even more in a non-salary cap system), whereas there can be people making minimum wage that are overpaid relative to their market value. There are studies showing that the value of a 5-star recruit is close to $500,000 per year for a school, yet they're clearly not getting paid anywhere near that amount (at least above the board). The reason why shady boosters that pay players under the table exist is because everyone knows the true market value of these those players (and it exceeds the value of their scholarships).

There are really only a handful of players who are worth what they are getting now in terms of scholarship, coaching, training and exposure.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a strike at some point and it marks the beginning of the end for college sports.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Wedge - 05-14-2017 10:07 AM

Exactly.

The last pick in the first round of the NFL draft gets a "rookie" contract worth about $9 million. No one can honestly argue that a player who is worth that much in April was only worth the price of a college scholarship in December.

The college teams reap the benefit of paying (almost) nothing for elite athletes whose market value is in the millions. The teams rake in the money while giving none of it to the athletes whose performances generate that money. That's why they have so much cash floating around that they can easily pay so many millions to coaches and commissioners.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - Sactowndog - 05-14-2017 10:10 AM

I would have no problem with this if they put an expense cap in place and prohibited the subsidization of sports from the general fund. In fact, the athletes understand increasing subsidizies just means more money for the major sports and elimination of the sports they play. A huge driver of the elimination of men's minor sports is the arms race in football and basketball.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - JRsec - 05-14-2017 10:29 AM

(05-14-2017 10:03 AM)bullet Wrote:  

There are really only a handful of players who are worth what they are getting now in terms of scholarship, coaching, training and exposure.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a strike at some point and it marks the beginning of the end for college sports.
Bullet, it wouldn't be the end of college sports. It would be the beginning of the return to student athletes.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - TodgeRodge - 05-14-2017 10:34 AM

(05-14-2017 09:20 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  If the player has such a problem with the current system, transfer to a D2 school. Problem solved. Nobody is forcing him to play there and be "broke". I'm sure 1000s would gladly be taken advantage of in his place.

exactly and the guy is a 5th year senior he could have graduated last year and been in the working world now

or he could have gone pro two years ago......ofh wait he couldn't have gone pro two years ago because no one was going to draft him because he has no NFL value and probably will not have any NFL value after his 5th year either

or he could simply stop playing football, get a regular student job, give up that "worthless" housing, tuition, food, clothing, physical training, coaching, training facilities ect and give up on the dream of going pro and pay to get a degree and graduate and join the real world

(05-14-2017 10:07 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Exactly.

The last pick in the first round of the NFL draft gets a "rookie" contract worth about $9 million. No one can honestly argue that a player who is worth that much in April was only worth the price of a college scholarship in December.

The college teams reap the benefit of paying (almost) nothing for elite athletes whose market value is in the millions. The teams rake in the money while giving none of it to the athletes whose performances generate that money. That's why they have so much cash floating around that they can easily pay so many millions to coaches and commissioners.

this is exactly nonsense

what did all the players that were not drafted and that were not signed as free agents outside the draft get for their skills?

oh they got exactly what he market said their football skills were worth and that was ZERO

you seem to believe that the vast majority of D1-A players or even D1-AA players get drafted to the pros or ever spend a day in the pros much less the reality that the VAST majority never spend a day in the pros

and again this is another case of the economically challenged not understanding the difference between income and profits

college athletics programs do not make profits at the VAST majority of schools they lose large sums of money that come off of the backs of students that PAY to go to school and get their degree

and while it could be argued that a larger number of football programs do make money even if the athletics department overall loses money well then the "valuable" players like this should file a lawsuit and demand that football money pays for football and pull the rug out from under all those other sports that athletics programs sponsor and then they can see how long football last on their campus and how popular football players become on their campus

the "futcha pro balla" that called out this pay has career stats of 25 carries for 39 yards and 24 catches for 226 yards as a tight end playing three seasons so they are going pro in the drive thru most likely after they graduate or maybe selling cars or insurance if they get their degree

there is a high degree of likelihood they never would have stepped foot on a college campus much less a top university like Michigan without football and especially not for free (and getting paid a bit now as well)

the only thing better than seeing all these "muh money" morons left back in whatever town they come from after high school when the "pay me" blows up will be seeing the looks on the faces of the reporters that support them when they get fired because college football collapses and the looks on the fans faces when their program folds and they wonder where they will get a team to cheer for

idiots like this guy should sue the NFL and the NBA or go Arena Ball or move to Canada (if Canada takes high school players into the pros much less Canada does not let in people with the records that many HS players have) if they want to go pro and when that does not work out for them and they find their market value is zero they can get a real world economics lesson that no college will ever teach them and they can learn what super sizing it means

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - wrcwolf - 05-14-2017 12:43 PM

1) It's rather simple, take away the current athlete compensation cap that the universities have agreed to work under. If college athletes actually have no value, then nothing will change. No need to collude and cap compensation. Why are the schools afraid to do that?

2) It is comical to continue to hear, read people spew the NCAA (schools) propaganda. Individual athletic departments spend either as much as they bring in or damn near close to it for many reasons. One of them is to claim they have no money. Better to build a meaningless barber shop for them. If they were run as the business they are, most would be hoarding some of the record revenue they are getting each year. Tough to have $70 million in the coffers and ask Billy Bob to donate $1000/year for the right to purchase season tickets. Tough to charge Salley Mae $100/semester in student fees, as well.

RE: Michigan player calls out B1G Commish $20 Million Bonus... - wrcwolf - 05-14-2017 12:47 PM

Also, those claiming I or my kid have thousands in student debt. Sorry, you or they don't have a skill set that brings a department at the university tens of millions of revenue a year. Should have been better in football or basketball.