CSNbbs
AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. (/thread-816975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - msm96wolf - 05-10-2017 10:48 AM

(05-10-2017 07:42 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  In the word of Stuart Smalley:

We're big enough, get the TV numbers, and gosh darn it we're P6 enough..........

03-lmfao

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Hood-rich - 05-10-2017 10:56 AM

So much anger ITT.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - CliftonAve - 05-10-2017 10:58 AM

There's an awful lot of butt-hurt in this thread. I understand why the fans from MWC, MAC, Sunbelt and C-USA feel that way, I don't get why the fans of P5 schools are so up in arms (notice it is the fans of middle to lower P5 schools who object the most).

This is nothing more than the AAC marketing itself and trying to aspire to higher heights. There's nothing wrong with that.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Attackcoog - 05-10-2017 11:11 AM

(05-10-2017 10:58 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  There's an awful lot of butt-hurt in this thread. I understand why the fans from MWC, MAC, Sunbelt and C-USA feel that way, I don't get why the fans of P5 schools are so up in arms (notice it is the fans of middle to lower P5 schools who object the most).

This is nothing more than the AAC marketing itself and trying to aspire to higher heights. There's nothing wrong with that.

Didnt the Mountian West use the slogan "Above the Rest" for a while? Kinda the same thing.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Eldonabe - 05-10-2017 11:26 AM

(05-10-2017 10:58 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  There's an awful lot of butt-hurt in this thread. I understand why the fans from MWC, MAC, Sunbelt and C-USA feel that way, I don't get why the fans of P5 schools are so up in arms (notice it is the fans of middle to lower P5 schools who object the most).

I get it and it is an admirable effort.... the problem is that the P5 is the Augusta of college athletics:

Just because you have a bunch of money in your pocket, you can't just joint the club. You have to be invited, no matter ho hard you try to wedge your foot in the door, no matter how much influence you think you may have, if that group doesn't let you in, you can't get it.

P5 is the same thing, they may let a college or two into the group but there is no way in hell they are going to allow another entire conference into their fraternity - they all know that there is only so much money to go around, and 1/6th is much smaller than 1/5th.

They also know full well that 5 conferences vying for 4 playoff spots doesn't work either - which is why they have the patience [and resources] to just wait out the B12 and tidy up the math for all of this in a few years.

I feel particularly bad for UConn, Cincy and Houston.... all three school should be in a P5 conference, but each has something ****-blocking them. It is a shame because they have more to offer in totality then quite a few already "anointed" P5 schools who should not have the honor, but they were too late to the party or had the wrong enemy in their way when their time came for consideration.

At least you have those cute little P6 stickers - they're meaningless, but you know, whatever....

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Bull - 05-10-2017 11:41 AM

(05-09-2017 08:51 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  CFP revenue distribution model:

80% of CFP revenue shared among ACC, B1G, BigXII, SEC, Pac12, aka the P5.
20% of CFP revenue shared among AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, SBC, aka the G5.

avg P5 rev share = 16%.
avg G5 rev share = 04%

There is no such thing as a P6, only a delusional, sad group of fans stuck on the bad side of a totally corrupt sports league who can't deal with the reality of it all.

Dude, understand that 95% of fans evaluate conference by on the field performance, players drafted (AAC just beat the B12), and metrics like that.

Very, very few people are tracking TV dollars and CFP dollars... mostly just message board wonks.

The 'delusional sad' AAC as fared pretty well against the P5 on the field... Including recent NYB wins against the B12 and AAC champions.

That the AAC is getting it done on the field, in SPITE of the disparity in $$$, makes it's achievements even more impressive... and the basis for change, which is the real goal.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - msm96wolf - 05-10-2017 12:24 PM

(05-10-2017 11:41 AM)Bull Wrote:  

avg P5 rev share = 16%.
avg G5 rev share = 04%

There is no such thing as a P6, only a delusional, sad group of fans stuck on the bad side of a totally corrupt sports league who can't deal with the reality of it all.

Dude, understand that 95% of fans evaluate conference by on the field performance, players drafted (AAC just beat the B12), and metrics like that.

Very, very few people are tracking TV dollars and CFP dollars... mostly just message board wonks.

The 'delusional sad' AAC as fared pretty well against the P5 on the field... Including recent NYB wins against the B12 and AAC champions.

That the AAC is getting it done on the field, in SPITE of the disparity in $$$, makes it's achievements even more impressive... and the basis for change, which is the real goal.

I will admit, this clip probably explains my view about the P6 G5 vs P5 arguement, and CSNBSS best. If this truly is the biggest problem in life, you all really should be happy. 04-cheers

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - nzmorange - 05-10-2017 01:12 PM

It would be hilarious if the MWC started calling themselves a Power 6 conference, too.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - DavidSt - 05-10-2017 01:16 PM

(05-10-2017 01:12 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  It would be hilarious if the MWC started calling themselves a Power 6 conference, too.

With Boise State in the conference, and if BYU stayed? You would have Boise State, BYU, Colorado State and Air Force be competitive every year for the title. Then with UNR, Fresno State, Wyoming and New Mexico with upset wins at times against P5. They could be a power conference. Even Hawaii could be strong at times.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - quo vadis - 05-10-2017 02:58 PM

avg P5 rev share = 16%.
avg G5 rev share = 04%

Problem is, this analysis has the cart before the horse: It doesn't matter what 95% or 100% of fans think, what matters are things like CFP dollars and TV dollars. That's the reason schools have athletic programs - to raise money for the university.

As for getting it done on the field, AAC football has had its ups and downs. Last year, while the AAC was clearly the dominant G5 conference during the regular season, in the end we failed to secure the high-profile Access spot, and when bowl season rolled around it crapped the bed again, just as it did in 2015 and 2014. The AAC hasn't had a good bowl season in the three years of its G5 existence, and has only gotten the critical Access slot, a slot more or less created for it by the Powers that be, one time in three years.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Eldonabe - 05-10-2017 03:21 PM

(05-10-2017 02:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Problem is, this analysis has the cart before the horse: It doesn't matter what 95% or 100% of fans think, what matters are things like CFP dollars and TV dollars. That's the reason schools have athletic programs - to raise money for the university.

As for getting it done on the field, AAC football has had its ups and downs. Last year, while the AAC was clearly the dominant G5 conference during the regular season, in the end we failed to secure the high-profile Access spot, and when bowl season rolled around it crapped the bed again, just as it did in 2015 and 2014. The AAC hasn't had a good bowl season in the three years of its G5 existence, and has only gotten the critical Access slot, a slot more or less created for it by the Powers that be, one time in three years.

How dare you muddy up this P6 rhetoric with actual facts. That will not push the agenda forward....

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Bull - 05-10-2017 03:51 PM

(05-10-2017 02:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

avg P5 rev share = 16%.
avg G5 rev share = 04%

Problem is, this analysis has the cart before the horse: It doesn't matter what 95% or 100% of fans think, what matters are things like CFP dollars and TV dollars. That's the reason schools have athletic programs - to raise money for the university.

The facilities buildup in the AAC, pretty amazing progress, argues against your first point... we took a low dollar TV deal on purpose to get the exposure. That's what matters to fans and recruits (despite the fact you think fans who buy tickets are tracking TV dollars... lol), and it worked like a charm. Still got the job done on the field, AAC ratings have been outstanding.

I'm not going to bother arguing the bowl stuff... everyone has their own biased opinions. If you are not counting the UCF win over Baylor for a technicality, but are counting the Houston win over FSU, you reveal your bias. 04-cheers

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - quo vadis - 05-10-2017 04:26 PM

(05-10-2017 03:51 PM)Bull Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 02:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

avg P5 rev share = 16%.
avg G5 rev share = 04%

The facilities buildup in the AAC, pretty amazing progress, argues against your first point... we took a low dollar TV deal on purpose to get the exposure. That's what matters to fans and recruits (despite the fact you think fans who buy tickets are tracking TV dollars... lol), and it worked like a charm. Still got the job done on the field, AAC ratings have been outstanding.

I'm not going to bother arguing the bowl stuff... everyone has their own biased opinions. If you are not counting the UCF win over Baylor for a technicality, but are counting the Houston win over FSU, you reveal your bias. 04-cheers

I think our biases are pretty clear - you support Aresco and I don't. That said, the bowl record isn't really worth arguing because there's nothing to argue about: As a G5, we are 2-3, 2-6, and 2-5 in bowl games. That's a bad record, no polishing that turd.

As for fans tracking TV dollars, I don't know or care whether the fans buying tickets track TV dollars or TV ratings or not. What I said was that TV dollars are what matter, not fan sentiment. Fans can think this that or the other thing, but what matters to a school are the dollars. As for our TV deal, it currently pays us peanuts, and it is yet to be seen whether that changes or not in the future.

As for UCF, yes, I don't count it, and not because i strongly dislike UCF (guilty!). It's because this discussion is about the worthiness of the AAC's credentials to be regarded as a Power conference even though we are not. But since when UCF won the Fiesta Bowl the AAC was in fact a Power conference, whether anyone else liked that or not, it thus obviously has no place in our discussion.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - DavidSt - 05-10-2017 04:29 PM

Ha, the MWC had a better bowl record than the AAC the past few years.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - GoldenWarrior11 - 05-10-2017 04:54 PM

Any conference that needs to promote and argue itself as a power conference, probably isn't a power conference...
07-coffee3

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Hood-rich - 05-10-2017 04:59 PM

(05-10-2017 11:26 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  

I get it and it is an admirable effort.... the problem is that the P5 is the Augusta of college athletics:

Just because you have a bunch of money in your pocket, you can't just joint the club. You have to be invited, no matter ho hard you try to wedge your foot in the door, no matter how much influence you think you may have, if that group doesn't let you in, you can't get it.

P5 is the same thing, they may let a college or two into the group but there is no way in hell they are going to allow another entire conference into their fraternity - they all know that there is only so much money to go around, and 1/6th is much smaller than 1/5th.

They also know full well that 5 conferences vying for 4 playoff spots doesn't work either - which is why they have the patience [and resources] to just wait out the B12 and tidy up the math for all of this in a few years.

I feel particularly bad for UConn, Cincy and Houston.... all three school should be in a P5 conference, but each has something ****-blocking them. It is a shame because they have more to offer in totality then quite a few already "anointed" P5 schools who should not have the honor, but they were too late to the party or had the wrong enemy in their way when their time came for consideration.

At least you have those cute little P6 stickers - they're meaningless, but you know, whatever....
it's posts like this that remind me the stupidity of sports fandom. Nobody here has a ******* thing to do with their schools' inclusion, exclusion, achievements, failures or anything else.

ffs, some of y'all are so stupid and/or pathetic. If I didn't know better I would assume you had no achievements of your own in real life.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - nzmorange - 05-10-2017 05:21 PM

(05-10-2017 04:59 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

it's posts like this that remind me the stupidity of sports fandom. Nobody here has a ******* thing to do with their schools' inclusion, exclusion, achievements, failures or anything else.

ffs, some of y'all are so stupid and/or pathetic. If I didn't know better I would assume you had no achievements of your own in real life.

That's not true. I am the decider, and I make decisions based solely off of groveling this forum.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - AppManDG - 05-10-2017 07:54 PM

(05-10-2017 05:21 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

That's not true. I am the decider, and I make decisions based solely off of groveling this forum.

But they've got stickers on their helmets that say so. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - nzmorange - 05-10-2017 08:49 PM

(05-10-2017 07:54 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 05:21 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

But they've got stickers on their helmets that say so. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

I would make uniform patches if I was the MAC commish.

This kind of silliness is too easy/too much fun to mess with. And when I say "this," I mean all the stupidly pretentious names (P5, P6, AQ, etc.), and the fan chest beating that comes along w/ it.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - westwolf - 05-11-2017 08:30 AM

The AAC is a failed experiment. Too bad they let Pitt, Syracuse and WV get away. End of story.