CSNbbs
CB McGrath - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: CB McGrath (/thread-813987.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

CB McGrath - B_Hawk06 - 04-04-2017 07:18 PM

(04-04-2017 07:11 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I don't believe that and trust Bass.

Hoops is gonna find a million and a half reasons why he doesn't like it.

CB McGrath - Seahawkhoops - 04-05-2017 08:20 AM

(04-04-2017 07:18 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 07:11 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I don't believe that and trust Bass.

Nope, I'm actually coming around on him. But looking at what he's going to be getting paid and knowing it probably would have taken. 500 to get Dooley, it's pretty easy to connect the dots.

CB McGrath - B_Hawk06 - 04-05-2017 08:24 AM

(04-05-2017 08:20 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 07:18 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

Nope, I'm actually coming around on him. But looking at what he's going to be getting paid and knowing it probably would have taken. 500 to get Dooley, it's pretty easy to connect the dots.

That doesn't mean we didn't offer 500 to Dooley. Sometimes money isn't everything to people. Maybe there was something else keeping Dooley at FGCU. Who knows? You might be right, we'll likely never know.

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 08:42 AM

(04-05-2017 08:24 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  That doesn't mean we didn't offer 500 to Dooley. Sometimes money isn't everything to people. Maybe there was something else keeping Dooley at FGCU. Who knows? You might be right, we'll likely never know.

There's 100 different reasons Dooley and UNCW didn't end up coming together. Seems people are going to speculate based on the theory that suits their purposes.

What we DO know is Dooley recently interviewed for the New Mexico job, where he was an assistant from 1999-2002: http://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/college/fgcu/2017/04/03/college-basketball-new-mexico-reportedly-interviews-fourth-year-fgcu-coach-joe-dooley/99979936/

We also know that last year he interviewed at Wright State and almost took the NC State assistant job. This year he's been linked to UMASS. That's a lot of places in very different locations to be linked to.

Even Dooley's explanation of what he's doing is quite vague:

Quote:Dooley's policy has been to not comment publicly on other job possibilities. He took a pay cut from his Kansas assistant job to take over at FGCU.

Dooley told the Daily News this time last year: "I love being the head coach here. I'm not looking around, and I don't think that's an accurate portrayal. ... People can say whatever they want to say, but if it was about money I wouldn't even be here. We're — (wife) Tanya, me and (13-year-old son) Max — not driven by money. It's more about what's best for my family."

Notice any contradiction there? He loves being coach at FGCU, it's not about the money, he's not looking around....yet he's going to do what's best for his family? So FGCU isn't what's best for his family? Confusing.

It also seems to me that Dooley isn't tied down by any geographical concerns. He can recruit players from anywhere. True, most of his roster at FGCU is made up of Florida kids. And he does have a Charlotte kid on his current roster. But he also has a kid from New York, one from Hawaii (who transferred from Pitt), another from California, and a fourth from Latvia. He also has Florida kids who transferred from UNLV, Michigan, VCU, and Tulane. Wherever he goes, he has connections at a national level.

Makes sense for a guy who is from New Jersey originally but has coached at South Carolina, ECU, New Mexico, Wyoming, Kansas and FGCU in either assistant or HC capacities.

Thus, maybe the reason McGrath is our coach is because he's been a North Carolina guy for the last 14 years, whereas Pasternack was a west coast guy and Dooley is a "national guy", who could uproot and leave quickly if he had success here. Not saying that's the reason, but it's certainly a possibility. After just 3 years of awesome play under Keatts, it'd be nice if McGrath could have a lengthy AND successful stay here.

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 08:59 AM

Dooley's behavior reminds me of a quote from Dwight Schrute on the show The Office:

RE: CB McGrath - hittsprint - 04-05-2017 12:47 PM

Sean May's Wikipedia page says he'll be joining CB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_May

RE: CB McGrath - SEA33HAWK - 04-05-2017 01:06 PM

(04-03-2017 11:07 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 09:14 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  They are already refusing to admit it, but if the Zags win, it will be the first time a mid-major has won the national title. That's why I'm pulling for Gonzaga. No matter how you spell it, they are from a mid-major conference.

They moved out of the mid major ranks ten years ago.

Wrong. Just because they have proven they can play with the big boys doesn't mean they are major. They are still in a mid-major conference. Midmajormadness just awarded Few coach of the year and Gonzaga team of the year. The Zags and Butler have now reached the Championship as mid-majors. You can deny all you want, but they are still officially mid-major.

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 01:12 PM

(04-05-2017 12:47 PM)hittsprint Wrote:  Sean May's Wikipedia page says he'll be joining CB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_May

Where?

RE: CB McGrath - hittsprint - 04-05-2017 01:14 PM

(04-05-2017 01:12 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 12:47 PM)hittsprint Wrote:  Sean May's Wikipedia page says he'll be joining CB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_May

Where?

Down at the bottom.

RE: CB McGrath - hittsprint - 04-05-2017 01:16 PM

Where?

Actually, it has been edited since i posted. Until a few minutes ago, it said he was director of player development at North Carolina until 2017 when he joined CB McGrath as an assistant at UNCW.

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 01:23 PM

(04-05-2017 01:06 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Wrong. Just because they have proven they can play with the big boys doesn't mean they are major. They are still in a mid-major conference. Midmajormadness just awarded Few coach of the year and Gonzaga team of the year. The Zags and Butler have now reached the Championship as mid-majors. You can deny all you want, but they are still officially mid-major.

To me, mid-major has less to do with recent success or even conference affiliation. It's a made up term that really has to do with money and budget size more than anything else.

Gonzaga is still in the WCC because they don't have football, and there aren't any quality basketball-only conferences on the west coast like the A-10 or MVC.

I'm not sure where Gonzaga ranks among basketball budgets in D-I, as there's no easy place to find those numbers. But we do know that they have a $25M basketball arena and the school now has a $173.3M endowment due primarily to basketball. And we also know they spent $7.2M on basketball in 2016, about as much as fellow Final 4 participants Oregon ($7.8M) and more than South Carolina ($7.1M) spent.

To me, that takes them out of the mid-major pool, even if they're in a conference filled with mid-majors. And the above is why we need to change the definition of "mid-major" a little.

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 01:26 PM

(04-05-2017 01:14 PM)hittsprint Wrote:  Down at the bottom.

(04-05-2017 01:16 PM)hittsprint Wrote:  

Where?

Actually, it has been edited since i posted. Until a few minutes ago, it said he was director of player development at North Carolina until 2017 when he joined CB McGrath as an assistant at UNCW.

Yeah, Wikipedia pulls that stuff pretty quickly if there's no supporting evidence. Doesn't mean it's not happening though. Nice find.

CB McGrath - Seahawkhoops - 04-05-2017 01:41 PM

(04-05-2017 01:26 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:14 PM)hittsprint Wrote:  Down at the bottom.

(04-05-2017 01:16 PM)hittsprint Wrote:  

Where?

Yeah, Wikipedia pulls that stuff pretty quickly if there's no supporting evidence. Doesn't mean it's not happening though. Nice find.

I really hope that isn't happening. I'm positive he could surround himself with better.

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 01:50 PM

(04-05-2017 01:41 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  I really hope that isn't happening. I'm positive he could surround himself with better.

If May has the last spot on the assistant bench or has some alternative role I'd be cool with it. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a player who has won a national title in the mix. Current 18-22 year olds certainly remember him.

And haven't we also been saying for a while we need a guy on the bench who can help develop big men? May certainly had good footwork back in his college playing days, and even had some decent moments in the NBA. Like this one:

[Image: seanmayblockslebronjames.gif]

RE: CB McGrath - bricksnivy - 04-05-2017 01:51 PM

(04-05-2017 01:41 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  I really hope that isn't happening. I'm positive he could surround himself with better.

Purely Carolina hate.

“Sean is one of the smartest players I have ever coached,” Roy Williams said in a statement. “He’s made the decision that his professional basketball playing career is over after 10 years, and he would like to see if coaching is the next step for him to pursue. The position he is in will allow him to help our staff and show him what our coaches do on a daily basis. We are pleased to have him back in Chapel Hill.”

Why would we want an assistant that grew up around the game of basketball with his father playing professionally for 14 years. Same guy was the MOP of the NCAA tournament and a lottery pick, and went on to a 10 year professional career of his own. When he decided to retire, he joined the most successful basketball program over the last 15 years and learned from a great coaching staff.

I'm sure none of that appeals to today's recruits. Let's find someone who didn't play at Carolina. Some of y'all hate Carolina more than you love UNCW.

CB McGrath - Seahawkhoops - 04-05-2017 01:52 PM

We have been saying for a while we need to have big men to develop. I'm with you, end of bench, fine. He needs some experience with his top assistants

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 01:56 PM

Heck, even if he missed out on seeing him at UNC, CJ Bryce (from Charlotte) or any of our other NC players who went to any Bobcats games growing up would have seen him play. He played there from 2005 to 2009, when Bryce was in the 10-13 age range.

RE: CB McGrath - bricksnivy - 04-05-2017 02:00 PM

(04-05-2017 01:56 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Heck, even if he missed out on seeing him at UNC, CJ Bryce (from Charlotte) or any of our other NC players who went to any Bobcats games growing up would have seen him play. He played there from 2005 to 2009, when Bryce was in the 10-13 age range.

I think the recruiting angle is big, and I think he can coach. You can't tell me May didn't significantly contribute to Kennedy Meeks' progression (which was tremendous).

May had great footwork as you noted, and was a/the leader on the championship team.

RE: CB McGrath - bricksnivy - 04-05-2017 02:01 PM

(04-05-2017 01:52 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  We have been saying for a while we need to have big men to develop. I'm with you, end of bench, fine. He needs some experience with his top assistants

I don't get this either. What about Siddle's resume said "top assistant" when compared to Sean May?

RE: CB McGrath - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-05-2017 02:09 PM

(04-05-2017 02:01 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:52 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  We have been saying for a while we need to have big men to develop. I'm with you, end of bench, fine. He needs some experience with his top assistants

I don't get this either. What about Siddle's resume said "top assistant" when compared to Sean May?

Well, to be fair, May only has a little over 2 years of experience in coaching, and his title was "Director of Player Development" for at least his first season at UNC.

Siddle had 1 year as an assistant at Hargrave Military, followed by 4 years as an assistant at Gardner-Webb under his belt before arriving at UNCW.