CSNbbs
Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC (/thread-813255.html)

Pages: 1 2

Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - hooverblazer - 03-23-2017 08:49 AM

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article139945788.html

A president and an institution with vision...How about that. IMO this isn't good for the possibility of moving to the AAC in the future.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - the_blazerman - 03-23-2017 09:10 AM

Is he required to take his wife with him?

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - blazerjay - 03-23-2017 09:48 AM

(03-23-2017 08:49 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article139945788.html

A president and an institution with vision...How about that. IMO this isn't good for the possibility of moving to the AAC in the future.

While Wichita State is looking to join the AAC, Connecticut is reportedly looking to move all sports minus football to the Big East. Their only issue seems to be what to do with their football program. There is no conference that will take them as a football only member. However, recent rumors indicate the Huskies are considering becoming a football independent now that UMass has gone that direction.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-30-thoughts-college-basketball-heats/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/should-acc-consider-adding-uconn-if-huskies-leave-current-conference-021017[/quote]

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - the Dragon - 03-23-2017 10:01 AM

Wichita State may soon want their football program brought into the fold. That will cause another shake-up.

We just need to be ready to move when the opportunity knocks!

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - the_blazerman - 03-23-2017 10:57 AM

Don't worry. We have experienced AD Mark Ingram on our side.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - panama - 03-23-2017 10:58 AM

Between the impending CUSA split since forever and with the grumbling going on in the AAC expect a bomb to go off for mid major realignment in the next 3 to 4 years. Be ready. Airport meeting anyone?

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-23-2017 11:28 AM

Exactly. Thank God Bill and the Foundation have vision.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - rook360 - 03-23-2017 12:38 PM

(03-23-2017 10:58 AM)panama Wrote:  Between the impending CUSA split since forever and with the grumbling going on in the AAC expect a bomb to go off for mid major realignment in the next 3 to 4 years. Be ready. Airport meeting anyone?

What split? Only place I heard that is on this board and the conference board.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - panama - 03-23-2017 01:08 PM

(03-23-2017 12:38 PM)rook360 Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 10:58 AM)panama Wrote:  Between the impending CUSA split since forever and with the grumbling going on in the AAC expect a bomb to go off for mid major realignment in the next 3 to 4 years. Be ready. Airport meeting anyone?

East/West is going to happen. Eventually ODU (for example) will tire of sending their tennis team to El Paso.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - rook360 - 03-23-2017 01:13 PM

(03-23-2017 01:08 PM)panama Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 12:38 PM)rook360 Wrote:  

East/West is going to happen. Eventually ODU (for example) will tire of sending their tennis team to El Paso.

to be honest, I dont see why C-USA didnt keep it regional. Stop trying to keep up with the big boys, do what works, and build a strong, cohesive, conference. Just because it says C-USA doesn't mean we have to stretch the conference out across the nation.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-23-2017 02:09 PM

In the short term I would add two schools to make it 16 and do it one of two ways.

A. Go to 4-four team divisions and play an NFL type schedule. This will cut way down on travel costs. While it's two more mouths to feed you save on the back end on travel and consolidate scheduling. You also could potentially strengthen the league as long as you focus on quality.

Pod A
UAB
Marshall
MTSU
WKU

Pod B
FAU
FIU
ODU
Charlotte

Pod C
UTEP
UNT or TBA
UTSA
Rice or tba

Pod D
La Tech
USM
team TBA or Rice
team TBA or UNT

anyway, you get the picture.

B. Split the league into 2 -8 team divisions and almost treat them separately. Maybe an occasional cross division but split it geographically. Still saves on travel and as I said above if you add quality you only strengthen the league.

I would also access penalties for league members that fall below a certain # in the RPI in the major sports and put scheduling restrictions on folks to strengthen the league.

Basically by adding two you are able to split the league up into more manageable geographic regions. ODU should only have to travel to El Paso about once every 8 years. Not every year.

Top 8 teams make it to the conference tourney

or you play off at the home team's with the best record to the final 8 then go to neutral site.

In football the two division champs play.

I know these ideas will be hated by many but anyway, just my thoughts.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-23-2017 02:23 PM

I think a lot of realignment talk will depend upon how the TV money gets spread around. If it shrinks or dries up significantly, more and more schools will be thinking about travel expenses, particularly for nonrevenue sports. It is not just because the C-USA folks like B'ham that they have the BB tournament here. It is also because they can run both tournaments in one place at one time.

Will it mean more teams get into the P5 conferences? Not likely, but it may juggle the alignment in the G5 level leagues toward shorter travel needs and a desire for more regional rivalries (UAB and GA State comes to mind).

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-23-2017 02:32 PM

Of course we build a stadium at the BJCC, win a bowl game or two and a championship game. Average 32K+ Hit some NCAAs with M&W basketball and we are the hottest thing since sliced bread. We are more attractive at that point than some unnamed AAC members. Who knows where we could end up? Especially after all hell breaks lose in realignment again.

This is why the stadium OC and the initial FOB building was denied in the first place.......................

Keep the light on the cockroaches and strike while the iron is hot!

We just cant get left behind this time or we look at my options above. :-/ I think we have about a three or four year window and we need to be hitting on all cylinders in our major sports. Football has to excel. It's our ticket to a better land but basketball has to help them. It cant be the lead weight.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - BlazerFromMD - 03-23-2017 02:38 PM

+1

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - randy22263 - 03-23-2017 02:41 PM

(03-23-2017 02:32 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Of course we build a stadium at the BJCC, win a bowl game or two and a championship game. Average 32K+ Hit some NCAAs with M&W basketball and we are the hottest thing since sliced bread. We are more attractive at that point than some unnamed AAC members. Who knows where we could end up? Especially after all hell breaks lose in realignment again.

This is why the stadium OC and the initial FOB building was denied in the first place.......................

We just cant get left behind this time or we look at my options above. :-/ I think we have about a three or four year window and we need to be hitting on all cylinders in our major sports. Football has to excel. It's our ticket to a better land but basketball has to help them. It cant be the lead weight.

Agree completely. Surprised you didn't I? Lol

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-23-2017 04:09 PM

(03-23-2017 02:41 PM)randy22263 Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 02:32 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Of course we build a stadium at the BJCC, win a bowl game or two and a championship game. Average 32K+ Hit some NCAAs with M&W basketball and we are the hottest thing since sliced bread. We are more attractive at that point than some unnamed AAC members. Who knows where we could end up? Especially after all hell breaks lose in realignment again.

Agree completely. Surprised you didn't I? Lol

Those are a lot of "ifs" for UAB to actually plan around. All of them are highly desirable, but they will not be in evidence until nearly the middle of the next decade at the earliest.
Right now there is a lot of fluidity in UAB's future funding since the state is not likely to increase SETF money anytime soon (for 2017-18 it is still $1/2 billion below 2007-08 SETF funding), and its medical side funding is so dependent on federal grant money (80%) that if it is cut by D.C., the undergrad side probably will be sacrificed to some measure (by the BOT) "for the good of the whole".

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - blazerwkr - 03-23-2017 04:55 PM

I've said that when the music finally stops on realignment that we'd end up seeing a division of east/west w/ CUSA & SB merging along those lines mostly due to the economics for mid majors/G5's. If we do well enough, we might get a call up but otherwise, we'll be stuck in the minors & to survive, we can't be spending money sending all the non/lesser revenue sports halfway across the nation as a matter of economics. I find it hard that well get a call up with current admin having disdain to pursue such endeavors even when we as fans/boosters do when an opportunity does truly exist for us.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - hooverblazer - 03-23-2017 04:56 PM

We need all of that to happen. After the football project is done, we have to keep upgrading facilities. Ideally we'd move on a basketball practice facility, modest upgrades to Bartow, Phase II of BBVA Compass Field, Track Facility, and a Baseball/Softball Fieldhouse.

I would think all the capital projects going on/planned over the next few years university wide would help too as far as raising the profile of the school & increasing enrollment.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - Blazer88 - 03-24-2017 10:37 AM

We should add some A10 schools if they'll even come to us.

RE: Wichita St Likely Moving to AAC - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-24-2017 11:45 AM

If all else fails Airport Meeting.