CSNbbs
The Decline of VCU Basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+------ Forum: Smack Board (/forum-935.html)
+------ Thread: The Decline of VCU Basketball (/thread-812742.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - 757ODU - 04-12-2017 08:54 AM

He measured at 6'5????

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - monarx - 04-12-2017 10:39 AM

I love this attitude and its part of why I was hoping he would be our coach.

"Rhoades said he and his staff intend to make local and state recruits a future priority.

“No. 1 on the list, man,” he said. “There are a lot of good players here. There are a lot of great coaches that we have relationships with who love VCU and love our program. We’re going to mine central Virginia for sure, all of Virginia.

“If it’s a very, very good player that we want, we want them to have to tell us no. It’s our job to build that relationship and our job to recruit that person really hard. … That’s one reason why I’m excited to be here because I’ve loved recruiting this area.

“Sometimes the way it works you can’t get everybody. But you’ve got to know about everybody. That was one thing (when I was the head coach at Randolph-Macon): We knew about everybody. … Now we’re at VCU and those relationships have been around for a long time. We’ve got to use them to keep those really good players from leaving.”

I'd love to hear JJ say something like that. Maybe its true for us too, but I haven't heard him come out and say so with that much confidence and gusto.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - ODU True Blue - 04-12-2017 11:07 AM

Yea, and maybe he'll use those connections to maybe start beating Jones once in a while.....

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - monarx - 04-12-2017 11:19 AM

(04-12-2017 11:07 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Yea, and maybe he'll use those connections to maybe start beating Jones once in a while.....

I'd like to see us start beating out the Rams for recruits once again.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - jumpshooter - 04-12-2017 11:20 AM

My point was aimed at those obsessed with the # of stars next to a recruit's name. Yes, if you've got 5 or 4, you should certainly be a cut above. But you can be a very successful team without those guys, which I also think is Rhoades' point.

Besides, when walk-ons are listed as 2*, something's wrong with such designations. IMO

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Monarchblue - 04-12-2017 11:26 AM

(04-12-2017 08:04 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  For those in love with "stars"

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/vcu-notes-mike-rhoades-wants-the-right-recruiting-fits/article_e656e121-1dea-59dd-ad7a-50607b187464.html?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=_RTD%20Daily%20Sports&utm_campaign=_RTD%20Daily%20Sports#utm_source=richmond.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter%2Fsports%2F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline
Yeah, but Mike Rhoades is an idiot, so who cares what he has to say. *Sarcasm*

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - AdoptedMonarch - 04-12-2017 11:37 AM

(04-12-2017 11:26 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/vcu-notes-mike-rhoades-wants-the-right-recruiting-fits/article_e656e121-1dea-59dd-ad7a-50607b187464.html?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=_RTD%20Daily%20Sports&utm_campaign=_RTD%20Daily%20Sports#utm_source=richmond.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter%2Fsports%2F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

Just to keep the record straight, I don't recall ever seeing any post on this forum that labels Coach Rhoades an "idiot".

What instead I've seen are posts pointing out (accurately) that Mike Rhoades is seemingly incapable of beating Coach Jones -- who has variously and repeatedly been accused by a minority of posters of being stuck-in-a-rut, uncharismatic, uncaring and possibly abusive (although I don't believe he's ever been accused of being an idiot).

Let's at least be fair about who the primary aggressors have been in this never-ending, circular (or is it rhombus?) argument about coaching inadequacies.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - 757ODU - 04-12-2017 11:41 AM

(04-12-2017 11:37 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

Just to keep the record straight, I don't recall ever seeing any post on this forum that labels Coach Rhoades an "idiot".

What instead I've seen are posts pointing out (accurately) that Mike Rhoades is seemingly incapable of beating Coach Jones -- who has variously and repeatedly been accused by a minority of posters of being stuck-in-a-rut, uncharismatic, uncaring and possibly abusive (although I don't believe he's ever been accused of being an idiot).

Let's at least be fair about who the primary aggressors have been in this never-ending, circular (or is it rhombus?) argument about coaching inadequacies.

I said he stinks. Until he shows he can coach just a little bit of defense, I will stick to that opinion. If it were up to MB, a basketball game would consist of uncontested layup lines.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Monarchblue - 04-12-2017 11:54 AM

I think you should look back, because, while the word idiot may not have been used, there have been plenty of comments about him not being a very good coach.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Monarchblue - 04-12-2017 12:02 PM

(04-12-2017 11:41 AM)757ODU Wrote:  

I said he stinks. Until he shows he can coach just a little bit of defense, I will stick to that opinion. If it were up to MB, a basketball game would consist of uncontested layup lines.

That is not true at all. If it were up to me the game would look like it did in the 80s when freedom of movement was not just a buzzword, and basketball was mostly a non contact sport.

There would be a 45 second shot clock so that teams have time to run good offense, and teams would not just focus on pulling every defensive trick in the book to turn a 30 second shot clock into 12 seconds for a team to actually get a shot off. I would prefer a lot more passing and a lot less one on one.

I would prefer for a guy who gets position in the post or on a rebound to be allowed to make a basketball move without being assaulted in the process.

I would to stop seeing guys fall to the ground bloodied after getting a rebound or shooting the ball at the rim, only for the refs to "let them play".

What I hate is basketball coaches that spend 75% of their time in practice working on defense only to get in front of a microphone and complain that they just can't understand why the team doesn't seem to be able to execute on the offensive end. I like balance. UNC was a good defensive team this year... and scored a lot of points... and played aesthetically pleasing basketball... and won a national championship while recruiting like a second tier P5 team.

It does not have to be JJ ball in order for a team to play good defense. You don't have to suck on offense to be good at defense.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - 757ODU - 04-12-2017 12:08 PM

(04-12-2017 12:02 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

That is not true at all. If it were up to me the game would look like it did in the 80s when freedom of movement was not just a buzzword, and basketball was mostly a non contact sport.

There would be a 45 second shot clock so that teams have time to run good offense, and teams would not just focus on pulling every defensive trick in the book to turn a 30 second shot clock into 12 seconds for a team to actually get a shot off. I would prefer a lot more passing and a lot less one on one.

I would prefer for a guy who gets position in the post or on a rebound to be allowed to make a basketball move without being assaulted in the process.

I would to stop seeing guys fall to the ground bloodied after getting a rebound or shooting the ball at the rim, only for the refs to "let them play".

What I hate is basketball coaches that spend 75% of their time in practice working on defense only to get in front of a microphone and complain that they just can't understand why the team doesn't seem to be able to execute on the offensive end. I like balance. UNC was a good defensive team this year... and scored a lot of points... and played aesthetically pleasing basketball... and won a national championship while recruiting like a second tier P5 team.

It does not have to be JJ ball in order for a team to play good defense. You don't have to suck on offense to be good at defense.

So you agree that Rhodes isn't a good coach.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Mo Blue Den You - 04-12-2017 12:08 PM

I dont think hes a good coach...

I'll say it right here again and again. His first two seasons he sucked. Still sucked this past season too but played a bunch of SCHOOLS THAT ARE GARBAGE and padded their record.

We'll see.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - 757ODU - 04-12-2017 12:10 PM

(04-12-2017 12:08 PM)Mo Blue Den You Wrote:  I dont think hes a good coach...

I'll say it right here again and again. His first two seasons he sucked. Still sucked this past season too but played a bunch of SCHOOLS THAT ARE GARBAGE and padded their record.

We'll see.

Totally agree. He did an awful job at Rice.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Monarchblue - 04-12-2017 12:11 PM

(04-12-2017 12:08 PM)757ODU Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 12:02 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 11:26 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Yeah, but Mike Rhoades is an idiot, so who cares what he has to say. *Sarcasm*

So you agree that Rhodes isn't a good coach.

If Rhoades has the same issues at VCU I will agree. From what I saw, he did a hell of a job making that **** show of a program relevant in CUSA in a short time.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Monarchblue - 04-12-2017 12:13 PM

(04-12-2017 12:10 PM)757ODU Wrote:  

We'll see.

Come on man. You are reasonable. You can't say he did an awful job. You can maybe say he did a sub optimal job there, but awful??? They went from one of the worst programs in ALL of college basketball to decent in his short tenure. Apparently it was good enough for other programs to come calling. Who are the other schools trying to entice JJ?

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - 757ODU - 04-12-2017 12:19 PM

(04-12-2017 12:13 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 12:10 PM)757ODU Wrote:  

We'll see.

Come on man. You are reasonable. You can't say he did an awful job. You can maybe say he did a sub optimal job there, but awful??? They went from one of the worst programs in ALL of college basketball to decent in his short tenure. Apparently it was good enough for other programs to come calling. Who are the other schools trying to entice JJ?

I'll submit to sub optimal. He recruited well and had a ton of talent this year and they were not very good. They beat a lot of bad teams and had one good win vs. La Tech. As far am I'm concerned, Rhoades didn't earn that job.

Nowhere have I compared Rhoades to JJ. I am still on the fence with JJ and sticking to my NCAA or bust statement for this year. I will say that I am extremely happy that Rhoades is not the head coach at ODU.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Cyniclone - 04-12-2017 12:54 PM

I guess my question for those who use Rhoades' record against JJ as a piece of evidence that he's overrated or even not good is this: If JJ went to Rice and Rhoades to ODU, do you think JJ would still have won five of their six meetings?

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Gilesfan - 04-12-2017 01:08 PM

(04-12-2017 10:39 AM)monarx Wrote:  I love this attitude and its part of why I was hoping he would be our coach.

"Rhoades said he and his staff intend to make local and state recruits a future priority.

“No. 1 on the list, man,” he said. “There are a lot of good players here. There are a lot of great coaches that we have relationships with who love VCU and love our program. We’re going to mine central Virginia for sure, all of Virginia.

“If it’s a very, very good player that we want, we want them to have to tell us no. It’s our job to build that relationship and our job to recruit that person really hard. … That’s one reason why I’m excited to be here because I’ve loved recruiting this area.

“Sometimes the way it works you can’t get everybody. But you’ve got to know about everybody. That was one thing (when I was the head coach at Randolph-Macon): We knew about everybody. … Now we’re at VCU and those relationships have been around for a long time. We’ve got to use them to keep those really good players from leaving.”

I'd love to hear JJ say something like that. Maybe its true for us too, but I haven't heard him come out and say so with that much confidence and gusto.

What coach doesn't say this? Jones actually does shoot for the stars...shoot, I think we recruited Coleman.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Gilesfan - 04-12-2017 01:12 PM

(04-12-2017 12:54 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I guess my question for those who use Rhoades' record against JJ as a piece of evidence that he's overrated or even not good is this: If JJ went to Rice and Rhoades to ODU, do you think JJ would still have won five of their six meetings?

That would be really difficult to know. Can't say I have an opinion. I know Rice had some talent in Egor, Evans, and Jackson, but didn't win.

RE: The Decline of VCU Basketball - Cyniclone - 04-12-2017 01:22 PM

(04-12-2017 01:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 12:54 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I guess my question for those who use Rhoades' record against JJ as a piece of evidence that he's overrated or even not good is this: If JJ went to Rice and Rhoades to ODU, do you think JJ would still have won five of their six meetings?

That would be really difficult to know. Can't say I have an opinion. I know Rice had some talent in Egor, Evans, and Jackson, but didn't win.

But he still had players from the dark days, particularly in his first two seasons. Plus he had a lot of variables to overcome, including a long history of poor performance and measured indifference from the campus and the city at large. Had Rhoades stayed and kept most of his players (presuming that Egor tests the pro waters or grad transfers to a big program anyway), it's not unreasonable to think that Rice would be among the contenders next season. Their trend line was clearly up, as much if not more than any program in CUSA.