CSNbbs
Sun Belt MBB postseason - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Sun Belt MBB postseason (/thread-812242.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - MissouriStateBears - 03-22-2017 10:11 AM

(03-22-2017 09:55 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The championship game does help get the SunBelt a nationally televised game on ESPN2. I am hoping that as conference basketball improves, the semifinals will get picked up on by ESPN or another channel as well as additional regular season games.

Your championship game is on the right day and time slot. I think I would take ESPN2 on Selection Sunday than be on CBS the week before like the MVC is now.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - CardinalBlackTrojan - 03-22-2017 10:22 AM

(03-21-2017 08:25 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 09:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Exactly. Just get rid of the dang tournament, we might actually save money as a league.

I agree.

I have always assumed the logic behind the conference tournament is that it can give a team that didn't have a great season a back door to the tournament and maybe give your RS champ a shot at an at-large bid.

How'd that work for UT Arlington? Their RPI was higher than multiple teams with at-large bids.

No offense to Troy, but the best team in the Sun Belt is knocking heads in the NIT. Meanwhile, an MTSU team that's not any better gave CUSA their third straight season with an NCAA tournament win even though they've been lower in the RPI as a conference than us the last two seasons.

And for those that don't think UTA would get a higher seed in the NCAAs, just look at teams in conferences lower in the RPI that got higher seeds (the CUSA, SoCon, and Big South for example). The regular-season is what matters, and that's the way it should be.

No offense taken. UTA had the best team in the Sun Belt with the best potential to make noise in the postseason. But they had to get it done in the tournament, and didn't.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - FoUTASportscaster - 03-22-2017 11:15 AM

(03-22-2017 10:22 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 09:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  that it can give a team that didn't have a great season a back door to the tournament and maybe give your RS champ a shot at an at-large bid.

Exactly. Just get rid of the dang tournament, we might actually save money as a league.

I agree.

I have always assumed the logic behind the conference tournament is
How'd that work for UT Arlington? Their RPI was higher than multiple teams with at-large bids.

No offense to Troy, but the best team in the Sun Belt is knocking heads in the NIT. Meanwhile, an MTSU team that's not any better gave CUSA their third straight season with an NCAA tournament win even though they've been lower in the RPI as a conference than us the last two seasons.

And for those that don't think UTA would get a higher seed in the NCAAs, just look at teams in conferences lower in the RPI that got higher seeds (the CUSA, SoCon, and Big South for example). The regular-season is what matters, and that's the way it should be.

No offense taken. UTA had the best team in the Sun Belt with the best potential to make noise in the postseason. But they had to get it done in the tournament, and didn't.

Why do you yahoo's keep arguing that point. No one on here has said otherwise.

What we have said is UTA this year, just as it was Georgia State several years ago and any regular season champion in most years, represents the best chance for the Sun Belt to earn units in the NCAA's by winning games. Compare Troy's game against an underperforming Duke team to what UTA has done in the NIT this year for further proof.

The problem with a tournament is that if the best team is flat, or faces a terrible match-up, the SBC, as well as any other one-bid conference, puts millions of dollars in jeopardy. See what happens the prior two years when the regular season champ gets in.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - CajunAmos - 03-22-2017 11:24 AM

So if a team has a great start to the year generating enough of a lead to win the regular season but plays bad at the end going into the tournament would have a better chance of winning than someone maybe playing well at the end?

I don't think it was just the Texas State game in the tournament that kept UTA out. I think it was actually the loss to the Cajuns in the last regular season game. JMO

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - chiefsfan - 03-22-2017 12:33 PM

(03-22-2017 11:24 AM)CajunAmos Wrote:  So if a team has a great start to the year generating enough of a lead to win the regular season but plays bad at the end going into the tournament would have a better chance of winning than someone maybe playing well at the end?

I don't think it was just the Texas State game in the tournament that kept UTA out. I think it was actually the loss to the Cajuns in the last regular season game. JMO

The tournament loss to Texas State was more on a bad matchup for UTA. Texas State might be the most annoying team to face in College Basketball

Cajuns game cost them an at large bid.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - Hemi Man - 03-22-2017 12:50 PM

(03-22-2017 11:15 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 09:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  that it can give a team that didn't have a great season a back door to the tournament and maybe give your RS champ a shot at an at-large bid.

Exactly. Just get rid of the dang tournament, we might actually save money as a league.

I agree.

What we have said is UTA this year, just as it was Georgia State several years ago and any regular season champion in most years, represents the best chance for the Sun Belt to earn units in the NCAA's by winning games. Compare Troy's game against an underperforming Duke team to what UTA has done in the NIT this year for further proof.

The problem with a tournament is that if the best team is flat, or faces a terrible match-up, the SBC, as well as any other one-bid conference, puts millions of dollars in jeopardy. See what happens the prior two years when the regular season champ gets in.

Enjoy your time in the Not Invited Tournament. If you want to go to the big dance, then take care of business.

Cry me a river. Your team failed.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - Bobcat87 - 03-22-2017 01:04 PM

(03-22-2017 11:15 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  

I agree.

Well, since you asked . . .

First, The NIT ain't The Big Dance . . .

Second, The level of competition ain't what you'd see in The NCAA Tournament either.

Third, while you may be tearing it up in the NIT, that don't translate into a "deep run" in The NCAA Tourney.

Since you asked . . . .

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - SoCalBobcat78 - 03-22-2017 07:32 PM

(03-22-2017 10:11 AM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 09:55 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The championship game does help get the SunBelt a nationally televised game on ESPN2. I am hoping that as conference basketball improves, the semifinals will get picked up on by ESPN or another channel as well as additional regular season games.

Your championship game is on the right day and time slot. I think I would take ESPN2 on Selection Sunday than be on CBS the week before like the MVC is now.

I want what the Ohio Valley Conference has. They played their Championshio game on Saturday on ESPN2 and both semifinal games on ESPNU on Friday. The OVC was the #24 ranked conference by RPI. The Sun Belt #13 ranked by RPI. The Sun Belt should have a better overall contract with ESPN, especially considering the fact that we are an FBS conference.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - CCU83 - 03-22-2017 08:03 PM

Coastal Carolina wins again and will play in the best of 3 CBI championship against the winner of Wyoming / Utah Valley

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - TOPSTRAIGHT - 03-22-2017 08:22 PM

Excellent crowd at UTA.Looks good on TV!

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - hapapp - 03-22-2017 08:55 PM

(03-22-2017 08:03 PM)CCU83 Wrote:  Coastal Carolina wins again and will play in the best of 3 CBI championship against the winner of Wyoming / Utah Valley

Congrats!

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - bokobobcat1919 - 03-22-2017 08:56 PM

Bobcats beat Idaho 64-55 and move on to the 3rd round. (CIT quarterfinals)

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - hapapp - 03-22-2017 08:57 PM

(03-22-2017 08:56 PM)bokobobcat1919 Wrote:  Bobcats beat Idaho. Move to the 3rd round CIT quarterfinals.

Congrats to the Bobcats, too.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - hapapp - 03-22-2017 08:58 PM

UTA has a 16 point hole to dig out of at home.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - EigenEagle - 03-22-2017 09:51 PM

UTA gaining on CSU-B, but running out of time.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - bokobobcat1919 - 03-22-2017 09:52 PM

Texas State will play Saint Peter's on Saturday in San Marcos for their 3rd round match

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - Bobcat87 - 03-22-2017 10:20 PM

Congratulations on a great season Mavs . . . .

Y'all did the conference proud in the NIT.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - chiefsfan - 03-22-2017 10:22 PM

Just took too many poor shots late, and couldn't slow down UCSB early.

Good season either way.

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - CCU83 - 03-22-2017 10:29 PM

Man I thought they were going to pull it off after they hit those big 3's.

Great showing by the Mavs crowd tonight. That place looked electric

RE: Sun Belt MBB postseason - FoUTASportscaster - 03-22-2017 10:42 PM

Couldn't buy a three. Better shot selection or a change in offensive strategy early on would have been the difference.